Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing » Author's Corner

Author's Corner Share your ideas with other members and come here for helpful writing tips.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:36 AM
Scytherwolf Offline

Default Ideas for Stories

Sorry if there's already a topic like this (I didn't see one...) I'm curious to know...

Where do you get ideas for your stories?

I get them from lots of things. One of those things is from dreams. For example, a while ago I had a dream about pokémon that gave me a whole new idea for my main pokémon story here. I haven’t got to the part of the story where I’m going to use the idea yet, though I’m now looking forward to it!

I also get some ideas (for pokémon stories) by playing pokémon games. My mystery dungeon story was inspired by PMD2 (though for some reason PMD1 didn’t inspire me for anything, though I really liked that game. D:)

Another thing that inspires me a lot is my old stories. (Both pokémon and non-pokémon) Sometimes if there’s an old story I wrote a long time ago and liked but never finished, I either put ideas from that story in a current one I’m writing or base new characters I write about off of the ones I wrote about in those old stories.

I also get inspired a lot by music, watching movies/TV shows, roleplaying, or just from thinking up random things (such as personalities for my pokémon in Diamond version.)

So, what inspires you and gives you ideas for your stories?

Thanks to Lunar Latias for the banner and Kirimori for the picture!

-My Links-
Old 08-22-2008, 10:24 AM
Sadistic Blaziken Offline
Master Trainer

Default Re: Ideas for Stories

*thinks* ...Dang, I should post my fanfics. I have more than fifty saved. o.o

Anyway, I get my ideas (more often than not) from anything random or funny. One of my funniest stories, actually, came from a few lines from... *thinks* ...50 First Dates, if I remember correctly. I usually think of a scenario to use the lines in, then think of the idea.

One of my fanfics, set in the Orre region, came from imagining what Cipher would act like in reality. (Just by that statement, you can tell that that story has very dark tones.) I often just let my mind lead me to an idea. How else would I have come up with Pizza as a name for my Carvanha, or Ice Cream the Mawile? XDDD
...This is a very good question, as I have many siblings.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:48 PM
Chillaxed09 Offline
Experienced Trainer

I get ideas/inspiration from playing the Pokemon games and watching the show (though I don't watch anymore... I was a fan during the Misty/Brock days....</nostalgia>). I also find that watching Harry Potter movies really gets my mind into gear. I think it's the whole concept of magic and "anything can happen" that gets me thinking of interesting storylines. <3
Old 08-22-2008, 08:20 PM
Luu Offline
Experienced Trainer

I get ideas playing games. My current fic (notepad version, HAND WRITTEN, lulz) is based off of three FF games, and old fics have been based off of Pokémon films.

(:

Old 08-22-2008, 09:02 PM
The PokeSHOP Offline

Mine was DBZ (believe it or not) and an imaginary friend I had when I was 3
If you are a member of the Democratic Party (or simply a supporter), please join The Democratic Party
Old 08-22-2008, 10:29 PM
-embargo Offline

Pokemon, such as the games and anime that establish the key foundations of the world I'm writing about are an obvious one.

Music - music helps me a lot. Whether it's fitting the music into a battling / action scene in my mind, the music played when a pokemon / character makes its first appearence... it could be anything, and if I imagine music with it, it seems that bit more "real" to me.

And of course, other literature. As Chillaxed09 said, the "anything can happen" concept is a major influence that can obviously be drawn from reading another fiction.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:13 AM
Scytherwolf Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by -embargo View Post
Pokemon, such as the games and anime that establish the key foundations of the world I'm writing about are an obvious one.

Music - music helps me a lot. Whether it's fitting the music into a battling / action scene in my mind, the music played when a pokemon / character makes its first appearence... it could be anything, and if I imagine music with it, it seems that bit more "real" to me.

And of course, other literature. As Chillaxed09 said, the "anything can happen" concept is a major influence that can obviously be drawn from reading another fiction.
I understand what you mean about the music-I always imagine my story scenes like a movie when and before I write them, and add music to it in my mind. xD

Also, I haven't seen any new episodes of pokémon in a long time, but I still watch the old ones because I have some on DVD. The ones that inspire me most are the ones where there's more adventure/danger in the episode. And it gets me in the mood to write about pokémon. xD

Thanks to Lunar Latias for the banner and Kirimori for the picture!

-My Links-
Old 08-24-2008, 01:45 AM
Grassy_Aggron Offline
Nutjob Personified

Send a message via AIM to Grassy_Aggron

Yeah, music helped me out too. Dawn of Doom, although a working title, I have the final villain fight planed out. The song Blow Me Away (Breaking Benjamin/Halo 2) fits perfectly with it.

Yeah, I get ideas from shows/games too. The cliffhanger ending to SonicX helped influence Dark Storm, New Moon will be based off of Sonic Unleashed, and Dawn of Doom follows after the events of Shadow the Hedgehog (Woot! Spoiler!). Aggranium...Well, I dunno. Just a random "save the world" adventure starring everyone's favorite mascot ^.^
Old 08-24-2008, 01:48 AM
Sight of the Stars Offline

Send a message via AIM to Sight of the Stars Send a message via Skype™ to Sight of the Stars

Te only thing that started Pokemon Is My Life is my love for Pokemon. Nothing else, except for the urge to write a Fan Fiction myself.

For ~The Silver Fox~ (on which I gave up on, but will be revived one day), it was my RP, The Hunting of the Shinies.
[12:38:59 AM] GallantlyGlaceon: ...So how do we do this? XD
[12:39:20 AM] Sight of the Stars: it's nothing really big, just usually a note in your sig that's all like 'paired with soandso'
[12:39:44 AM] Sight of the Stars: just be like "SIGHT OF THE STARZ IS MAH BIZNITCH"
[12:39:57 AM] GallantlyGlaceon: XDDD
[12:39:59 AM] Sight of the Stars: and I'll be like "GALLANTLYGLACEON IS MAH HOE."
Old 08-24-2008, 02:07 AM
Gravity Offline
Elite Trainer

Everywhere and anywhere. Mostly from things such as games and reading, I can get inspiration from anywhere.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:38 AM
Giratina Offline

I usually get most of my ideas in bed, waiting for myself to fall asleep, then I need to wait until after the next school day to get back on the computer and get 'em down.

Of course, then there was that flash of light that happens whenever a villain disappears from the scene in a Pokémon game (in this case, Diamond and Pearl - I didn't know Platinum's storyline changes yet). That was, I believe, to be that Arceus/Arcanine poofing down. x3

This is the method by which I thought up most of The Galaxy Key's plot. It made for a really messed up story full of antagonistic floaty things, Magnetons who aren't what they seem, loony Professors named Dawn Driftwood, and a whole new outlook on what happened on that stupid mountain from the other side.

"Wigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewiggle."
~ World famous singing sensation, Stefan Gordy.

(For the longest time I was telling myself that I would come back to PE2K once I had something artsy and cool to contribute... but that's too much effort. GIRA IS BACK!)

(vpp da)

Last edited by Giratina; 11-28-2008 at 01:33 AM.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:52 PM
Iodine_X Offline

Send a message via MSN to Iodine_X

Most of the time I take them for common morals or songgs. Like, an example of both is.
I was listening to Good Charlotte- The River and the lyrics "I heard that evil comes disguised, like a city of Angels" combined with "Never judge a book by its cover" created an idea of a city that is seemingly perfect by day, but the character gets awoken by two of her pokemon in the middle of the night and is warned to leave because the city is infested with demons and ghost types by night.
Seemingly similar to Silent Hill but oh well xD
Also, existing books inspire me to work harder on both my literature and artwork. Mainly Stephen King books and The Haunting of Alaizabel Cray, but yeah.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

TV, Books, Video Games, and songs. Sometimes I'll just imagine a really epic scene, and then a story just spawns from there...

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 10-11-2008, 10:50 PM
fooooootonman Offline
Experienced Trainer

sadly I have no fanfics posted here yet <-- key word, anyways, my ideas come from my rp characters i have created along with ideas that just pop up in my head.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:33 PM
Judith Offline
Amateur Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooooootonman View Post
key word, anyways, my ideas come from my rp characters i have created along with ideas that just pop up in my head.

Agreed. XD Most of my fanfiction ideas spawned from roleplaying characters that became larger than life. The fanfict I'm currently working on, 'City of Gold', came from someone asking me to substantiate on one of my characters.

But my ficts are also based on works of literature - public domain, of course X) - one of my future projects comes from the Hans Andersen fairytale 'The Traveling Companion' and another on Oscar Wilde's 'The Happy Prince' (the last line of Happy Prince has the phrase 'City of Gold', that's where I got the title).

I like to write on issues other people haven't touched - normally 'sensitive' issues like racial prejudice and poverty in the Pokemon World. It's kind of fun to be treading on unknown territory. And, for the record, music doesn't really inspire me. XP Really.

"To talk of many things:
Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
Of cabbages—and kings—
And why the sea is boiling hot—
And whether pigs have wings."