Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:30 PM
Dragon_Master Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Default What does it mean to be a Teenager?

I've recently been reading this book by two teenagers called Do Hard Things.
It motivates teens to do more than what society thinks of us.

I'm wondering, what does Society think of Teenagers, and more importantly, what do you think of Teenagers?

- Master of Dragons -

\-†††-/It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool,
then to open it, and remove all doubt.\-†††-/

Old 08-12-2008, 07:53 AM
Stormdancer94 Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Stormdancer94 Send a message via MSN to Stormdancer94
Default Re: What does it mean to be a Teenager?

I'm a teenager, aged 14, well... What can you say? Your hormones run wild and you can't get to sleep easily, being female, we kinda have some added problems, bodily changes and whatnot.

Society sees us as rebellious, up-to-no-good children basically. That's the stereotype. Smoking, drugs, hanging out with the wrong crowds, going out when you're not supposed to, where you're not supposed to, etc. etc. We're that horrible demon from the adult's closet XD

Yeah, it's fine really, depends on the person, some people are nuts and, face it, *****, and others are level headed, others are half half, we're all different.

Teenagehood doesn't mean much to me really, just a couple of hellish years in high school, you do stupid things, you fall in love, you change. Years of change, that's about it. :/

The Brood is growing!
Old 08-12-2008, 01:43 PM
Deathspector Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via MSN to Deathspector Send a message via Yahoo to Deathspector

I guess being a teenager might be the most difficult time mentally during the human life.

Your hormones do crazy things, you fall in love with all the wrong people, your body changes in all the strange and inexplicable ways, and you seem to think you're right about what you're saying. As far as I'm concerned, it's very much a transition phase between a carefree childhood into a problem-riddled adulthood. Teenagers don't want to take responsibility, like any child, but they want to be treated with respect and equality like an adult.

It's a difficult time for both sexes, although being a guy, I don't exactly have a first hand experience of what a girl goes through. ><;

Society starts treating you like an adult in all the wrong ways, telling you to start earning, to start taking responsibility for your actions, to study hard and look for a good job. But they don't give you all the equal-footing as adults would get, and for everything, you're treated like a child. It's contradictory, I know, but I guess that's the best way to explain it.

It's a tough road, but so's everything else, so I guess this post has no point. Meh.

Deathspector

// The Poet Of The Fall \\
^ Last update: 22 June 2009 ^
Old 08-12-2008, 01:51 PM
Azumao Offline
That Whiscash Freak
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Azumao Send a message via MSN to Azumao

Well to me, being a teenager means working your butt off so that the rest of your life can be smooth sailing. Right now, about 80% of my efforts go into education and developing life skills. I know, I'm the nerdy type of teenager.

The rest of my effort goes into the social aspect of being a teen. Making friends, hanging out, teenage romance...

But as far as what society things, the stereotype of teenagers is that they are rowdy rebels looking for trouble and having wild parties. Emphasis on the word stereotype, since most teens at my school aren't like that at all. Then again, I go to a dork school. xD
Old 08-12-2008, 02:08 PM
Deathspector Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via MSN to Deathspector Send a message via Yahoo to Deathspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azumao View Post
Well to me, being a teenager means working your butt off so that the rest of your life can be smooth sailing. Right now, about 80% of my efforts go into education and developing life skills. I know, I'm the nerdy type of teenager.
The odd thing is, I'm looking to be an author, and a member of a band. I already have a band. And I'm working on my writing. And both of those are fun. xP

Quote:
But as far as what society things, the stereotype of teenagers is that they are rowdy rebels looking for trouble and having wild parties. Emphasis on the word stereotype, since most teens at my school aren't like that at all. Then again, I go to a dork school. xD
Haha, yes. I go to a dork school as well. I won't argue with that, xD

Deathspector

// The Poet Of The Fall \\
^ Last update: 22 June 2009 ^
Old 08-12-2008, 05:49 PM
Dragon_Master Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Quote:

The rest of my effort goes into the social aspect of being a teen. Making friends, hanging out, teenage romance...

Curse the Stereotype!!

Hmm... In that book (Which I finished last night. w00t!), "Do Hard Things", it says you need to be recognized for what you do do, not for what you don't do.
It had a story of these two girls who raised funds for their local fire department, but instead of getting compliments and stuff, they got a comment that broke their hearts.
"Aern't you glad these Teenagers aern't smoking pot or drinking?"
Darn Stereotype. :/

Old 08-12-2008, 06:31 PM
Chromatic Alchemist Offline

Send a message via AIM to Chromatic Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon_Master View Post
Curse the Stereotype!!

Hmm... In that book (Which I finished last night. w00t!), "Do Hard Things", it says you need to be recognized for what you do do, not for what you don't do.
It had a story of these two girls who raised funds for their local fire department, but instead of getting compliments and stuff, they got a comment that broke their hearts.
"Aern't you glad these Teenagers aern't smoking pot or drinking?"
Darn Stereotype. :/
Yep, stereotypes suck. But then, they are true. One of my closest friends smokes. At 13. I balled my eyes out when I learned she did that. So, don't deny stereotypes, but at least keep those opinions placed by society away from you. I can tell you now that it's too late for me. I don't smoke, but I hang out with the wrong crowd, and for too long.

~State

l links l
Old 08-12-2008, 11:05 PM
Dragon_Master Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by State Alchemist Patrick View Post
Yep, stereotypes suck. But then, they are true. One of my closest friends smokes. At 13. I balled my eyes out when I learned she did that. So, don't deny stereotypes, but at least keep those opinions placed by society away from you. I can tell you now that it's too late for me. I don't smoke, but I hang out with the wrong crowd, and for too long.

~State
It's never too late...
Wow. I sound like one of those redemtionists...
But it's true.

Find some new friends if your current ones are only dragging you and your future down.

- Master of Dragons -

Old 08-12-2008, 11:15 PM
Dark Turtwig Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Send a message via AIM to Dark Turtwig Send a message via MSN to Dark Turtwig

I guess I am a teenager, but barely. I turned 13 about a month ago. But I am a teenager in some respects. My voice has severley changed in the last 6 months, I have seriously built muscle, from sports and all, getting zits, and hair in all the wrong places.... And lately I have gotten angry easily, and have been breaking small objects. (Pencils, erasers, bending silverware, that kind of thing.) I swear, you'd think I am on steroids or something... But what most people think of teenagers is that teenagers are childlike-adults that are know it alls, they have wild mood swings, rebellious, kind of misfitting people. And they (we) are. It's such a rough time, for a lot of people. I'm homeschooled for the time being, so I have it pretty easy. Thank GOD I am not at public school right now.

{Steel Leader in the*Official* Pe2k Gyms} {Dark TurtwigxThe Politoed Hunter}
Old 08-13-2008, 01:11 AM
Celebi251 Offline
New Trainer

to agree with many people, i can't stand the fact that most people see teenagers as stupid, irresponsible kids. "if they're not stealing, they're drinking. if they're not drinking, they're smoking or bothering old ppl..." yea right. being about 15--a guy, ive experienced a few changes here and there...ive gotten a little taller, my voice has lowered a bit, and iv'e become a little more..how do i put this nicely..irritable...with some ppl. nothing extreme, although i can say that there is hair in places that..well..wasnt there a few years ago i think teens are just misunderstood. we do want to be taken seriously as adults, yet there are a lot of us that don't want the responsibility to go along with it. which is understandable, seeing as how we--or at least me--are still kids in some way or another.

Last edited by Celebi251; 08-13-2008 at 02:55 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:02 AM
Synester Offline

Send a message via AIM to Synester

I never quite knew there was a "meaning" of being a teenager. I just thought it was really a change in your life.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:53 AM
Ranma Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Ranma Send a message via MSN to Ranma Send a message via Yahoo to Ranma

Lulz I'm like the complete opposite of the stereotipical teenager. (14)

I enjoy school and learning, the littler friends I have are all smart, I've only played one M-rated game, and the thought of taking drugs disgusts me...

I wish my school was more dorky so I could have some good friends though... Maybe some who enjoyed chess... D:

The only non-dorky things about me are: I'm big, hate reading, and procrastinate like tomorrows a year away. =D ( And I don't have glasses, but I want them... )

Last edited by Ranma; 08-13-2008 at 02:56 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:06 AM
faceplant527 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to faceplant527 Send a message via Yahoo to faceplant527

i think the teenage years are supposed to be like "getting used to life" alot of bad stuff happens and good stuff happens. its sucks then its ok.

| Links | RIP Ryan |

マンチェスターユナイテッド

Old 08-13-2008, 07:15 AM
FireBrawl Latios Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFC View Post
Lulz I'm like the complete opposite of the stereotipical teenager.

I enjoy school and learning, the littler friends I have are all smart, I've only played one M-rated game, and the thought of taking drugs disgusts me...

I wish my school was more dorky so I could have some good friends though... Maybe some who enjoyed chess... D:
High-five! I always thought I am alone when it comes to terms of mindset.

燒死了。讓我安息吧。

請勿觸摸,因為骨灰偶爾會動。

一旦有機會,一定會重新從廢墟中再复活起來!
Old 08-13-2008, 03:22 PM
MustangGT Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via ICQ to MustangGT Send a message via AIM to MustangGT Send a message via Yahoo to MustangGT

Being a teen is basically a time of figuring yourself out. The stereotypes never help, but screw those. If people are never gonna give me credit for what I do and just expect me to be smoking pot/drinking etc. then fine, I'll go do it and give them a reason to think it. I know, at least personally, I can be very rebellious on things I don't like or want to do, but luckily I don't have to be all the time, because my parents actually understand me. Don't be so ignorant to thinking that they don't. They're been through it too, they understand.

As far as changes go, when I was about to turn 13 people were mistaking me for my dad on the phone, the typical hair stuff and all, but I never had bad acne like everyone else seems to have trouble with. To me, this is just another stage of life, you're gonna get through it.

Yeah. I can't explain myself very well -_-

I'm 16 too.