Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Art Boards » Sprite Art

Sprite Art For both Pokemon and non-Pokemon related sprite art.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:39 AM
Titus Offline

Default Trainer Sprites

Um, I saw a few threads with sprites that weren't comics or shops, so IDK if this is ok. o.o

Anyways, I started off editing 1 trainer sprite just to give him new clothes and make him look better, but someone who is working on a Pokemon hack called Pokemon Genesis liked it and wanted me to make a few sprites for his game. I'm making 4 for him and they're going to be 4 of the Gym leaders. Then, one of his friends, who is also making a hack, which is called Citrine, asked if I'd make a few sprites for him. I'm actually making the main bad guys on his game called Attila and Hun. I used original sprites for the base and just edited them to look like new trainers. Here they are (original on the left, mine on the right):

->

->

->

->

->

The 1st one is the first one I made which the two guys making the hacks liked. The 2nd is going to be one of the Gym leaders in Pokemon Genesis. The 3rd is one of the main bad guys, Attila, from Pokemon Citrine. The 4th is the other main bad guy in Citrine, Hun. I don't like his hair at all, but that's the way it's supposed to be. The 5th is just Cart, but with different colored hair, no mask, and new clothes. I made it just because I had nothing to do, just like the first one. That one is my favorite so far. :D

So, what do you think? :) I'm going to be adding more as I make them. I have to make at least 3 more (for the other GYM leaders in Genesis), but I plan on making even more after that. ;)

Old 08-04-2008, 07:38 AM
PapaLuLu27 Offline

Send a message via MSN to PapaLuLu27
Default Re: Trainer Sprites

Only problem I see is that some Sprites Hair have a too light Outlineshade while the clothes have no outline at all! Shade the hair, use dark shade outlines, use at least some black, but not too much and outline the clothes. On the side note, I'm making a game called Citrine!!!!!
Old 08-04-2008, 02:50 PM
Titus Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaLuLu27 View Post
Only problem I see is that some Sprites Hair have a too light Outlineshade while the clothes have no outline at all! Shade the hair, use dark shade outlines, use at least some black, but not too much and outline the clothes. On the side note, I'm making a game called Citrine!!!!!
Like on which ones? All of them? o.o

Really? lol Weird. :P Well, khaosknight1 from PC released the Alpha version of his Citrine just last month. How long have you been working on yours?

Old 08-04-2008, 03:37 PM
Fushigidane Offline

Send a message via AIM to Fushigidane Send a message via Skype™ to Fushigidane

You need to get this approved by any art mod or global moderator.

Karrablast & Shelmet
Hatched at 2139
Evolves into Escavalier & Accelgor at 2279
Level 100 at 2524

Viridian Forest Forums - A Pokemon forum
Old 08-04-2008, 03:51 PM
Daughter of Mew Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Daughter of Mew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goho View Post
You need to get this approved by any art mod or global moderator.
No, it's a gallery. You don't need permission for a gallery.

They're good sprites, I like the top two best.
xDoM
Old 08-04-2008, 04:22 PM
Titus Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daughter of Mew View Post
No, it's a gallery. You don't need permission for a gallery.

They're good sprites, I like the top two best.
xDoM
Thanks. :) I think the monk is ok. But I really only like the 1st and last one. I don't like Attila or Hun (#3 and #4) that much, but that's how they're supposed to look, so I can't really do anything about that. :/

Old 08-05-2008, 07:10 AM
PapaLuLu27 Offline

Send a message via MSN to PapaLuLu27

All of them. And if you look at the General Spriter's Showcase you'll see the Male Trainer for Ricari, used for my Citrine and Quartz. I've been working on my sprites for a while, and it won't be a hack....
Old 08-05-2008, 01:23 PM
Titus Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaLuLu27 View Post
All of them. And if you look at the General Spriter's Showcase you'll see the Male Trainer for Ricari, used for my Citrine and Quartz. I've been working on my sprites for a while, and it won't be a hack....
Well, if you have a problem with my sprites, you have a problem with the originals, too. :-/ Because I just tried to copy the original sprites.

The outline of his hair is really light.

And I still don't get what you mean by the clothes have no outline at all. I definitely see an outline on all of them. o.o Can you please explain that a little better?

Thanks for the comments, btw.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:17 PM
Speed-X Offline

Send a message via AIM to Speed-X

He means that there are no outlines besides black that are lighter and colored. Remember: use the colored outlines (usually the third or second darkest tone of a color) in the areas that light hit the most, and use black in the areas where light barely even hits at all. Remember: lightsourcing and shading are two very basic and very important factors of any kind of artwork....

Oh, yes, and you MUST also remember that in just about every Pokemon sprite (if not literally every one)'s lightsource is at the top left. That's also another extremely important factor to use... when shading, make sure that you know where your lightsource is coming from.

Last edited by Speed-X; 08-05-2008 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:59 PM
Titus Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-X View Post
He means that there are no outlines besides black that are lighter and colored. Remember: use the colored outlines (usually the third or second darkest tone of a color) in the areas that light hit the most, and use black in the areas where light barely even hits at all. Remember: lightsourcing and shading are two very basic and very important factors of any kind of artwork....

Oh, yes, and you MUST also remember that in just about every Pokemon sprite (if not literally every one)'s lightsource is at the top left. That's also another extremely important factor to use... when shading, make sure that you know where your lightsource is coming from.
If that's what he meant, then now I get it. I know I still need some improving, but I'm just a beginner. Those are the only 5 trainer sprites I've ever made. Right now I'm just focusing on making the sprites. And I know a few things wrong with them that I just haven't gotten around to do. Like, on the monk, his left arm's sleeve looks like it has light hitting it because there is lighter shades of brown on it. I noticed that a while back, but I've been too lazy to fix it. His arm is supposed to be behind his back, but it just looks kinda messed up. :-/

Old 08-09-2008, 11:00 PM
Speed-X Offline

Send a message via AIM to Speed-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
If that's what he meant, then now I get it. I know I still need some improving, but I'm just a beginner. Those are the only 5 trainer sprites I've ever made. Right now I'm just focusing on making the sprites. And I know a few things wrong with them that I just haven't gotten around to do. Like, on the monk, his left arm's sleeve looks like it has light hitting it because there is lighter shades of brown on it. I noticed that a while back, but I've been too lazy to fix it. His arm is supposed to be behind his back, but it just looks kinda messed up. :-/
Alright then, glad I could clarify things. ^^
Just practice, practice, practice! Also make sure that if you ever see another person's sprites who happen to be decent at it, try to figure out what it is they do to make everything look so great and slightly imitate it to improve. That's what my TKD instructor said... even though TKD technique is much different than art techniques. XD In TKD, there's a right and a wrong way to do something, and in art, there is no right or wrong way, practically. Everyone has their own opinion and style, even if some may be better or worse than others. When you have the chance to, maybe ask some of the pwning spritsits for some advice, or search for tutorials. No matter what level spriter you are, it always helps, because there's always room for improvement. ^_~
Old 08-10-2008, 05:04 PM
tish Offline
New Trainer

hi is it possible to have a clickable sprite of a unicorn foal in a curled up position that would change to curled up but with head lifted after 200 clicks then full grown unicorn after 300 clicks
Old 08-10-2008, 07:35 PM
Takumi_2007 Offline
Master Trainer

One problem I've found throughout those sprites is that they don't have enough shading. They have one uniform colour covering too big a section, and some things arent shaded at all. Remember, the original sprite probably has the shading right, so when you edit on clothes, keep that shading.

Also, on the third one, the arm outline is bigger than that of the original sprite, and not in a "the trainer is more muscular" way.