Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  
 

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 07-12-2008, 02:00 AM
hsb39's Avatar
hsb39 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,384
Default Re: Gay Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireflyK View Post
Whereas calling everyone you disagree with a "LIBERAL" is totally grown up? =\ Let's be fair here.
Sorry Wunchkind, he got you there. And FFK, you forgot one thing, Leviticus says bad things about EVERYTHING! Read Leviticus 21:16-21 (in the Bible I read), it is about people with eye defects going to hell and more.

Before Wunchkind tries: there are some incredibly vague, possibly homophobic statements in the NT, but you can find more saying why the Pope is worse than gay people (on the subject of Pope, there is another Ozzy here, yay!).

And marriage is not a Christian thing, it was around way too long before it for Christian people to be claiming that they can't marry because of their religion!!!

Oh, so that I may get something into the open before people start to try anything about them choosing, IT IS NOT A CHOICE!!! If you want to bring that argument further, be my guest.
__________________
I am currently trying to think of something witty and original to put in my signature.
  #17  
Old 07-12-2008, 02:02 AM
FireflyK's Avatar
FireflyK Offline
Five by Five
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Under your bed
Posts: 4,290
Send a message via AIM to FireflyK
Default Re: Gay Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsb39 View Post
Sorry Wunchkind, he got you there. And FFK, you forgot one thing, Leviticus says bad things about EVERYTHING! Read Leviticus 21:16-21 (in the Bible I read), it is about people with eye defects going to hell and more.

Before Wunchkind tries: there are some incredibly vague, possibly homophobic statements in the NT, but you can find more saying why the Pope is worse than gay people (on the subject of Pope, there is another Ozzy here, yay!).

And marriage is not a Christian thing, it was around way too long before it for Christian people to be claiming that they can't marry because of their religion!!!

Oh, so that I may get something into the open before people start to try anything about them choosing, IT IS NOT A CHOICE!!! If you want to bring that argument further, be my guest.
I'm a she. ^^; But thank you.

And yes, Leviticus says all sorts of things. Many of which are considered outdated. -shrugs-

Yeah... I'm always confused when people claim christians invented marriage. o.o Weren't Mary and Joseph married? Before Jesus was born? So then how could he have invented marriage? ... Eh.
__________________

My hands have yet to build a village, have yet to find water in the barren desert, have yet to plant a flower, and I have yet to find the path that leads me... I have not loved enough, but the wind and the sun are still on my face.



I have yet to sow green fields, yet to raise a city, yet to plant a grapevine on each chalky hill... There is so much to build and so much to be, and my love is just beginning.
  #18  
Old 07-12-2008, 02:07 AM
hsb39's Avatar
hsb39 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,384
Default Re: Gay Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireflyK View Post
I'm a she. ^^; But thank you.

And yes, Leviticus says all sorts of things. Many of which are considered outdated. -shrugs-

Yeah... I'm always confused when people claim christians invented marriage. o.o Weren't Mary and Joseph married? Before Jesus was born? So then how could he have invented marriage? ... Eh.
Sorry, I must push myself away from that sexist instinct of assuming that everyone is male, I am too Left Wing for that...

And marriage was around thousands of years before monotheism, and it is a bit shady whether it is before polytheism. There is also the part (for Americans even though I am Australian) of separation from Church and State.
__________________
I am currently trying to think of something witty and original to put in my signature.
  #19  
Old 07-12-2008, 03:24 AM
Stormdancer94's Avatar
Stormdancer94 Offline
Elite Trainer
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: You want to know... Why?
Posts: 782
Send a message via AIM to Stormdancer94 Send a message via MSN to Stormdancer94
Default Re: Gay Marriage

Ok, let's get back on topic...

Who here is honestly, 100% AGAINST gay marriage and relationships? And please have a valid reason and not 'because the Bible said so." Really. You're a bit of a sheep if you just obey the Bible without question, without looking into the other side.

I am all for gay marriage and such, there is nothing wrong with it. It's not pedophilia, it's not rape, it's nothing of the sort, it's two people who love eachother. Two people who are of the same sex. Get over it. They're in love, that's all that matters, no-one else should have a say in otherwise.

We don't ban heterosexual marriages, why ban homosexual?
__________________
Those who fear evil are its greatest followers.

The Brood is growing!
  #20  
Old 07-12-2008, 03:32 AM
hsb39's Avatar
hsb39 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,384
Default Re: Gay Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormdancer94 View Post
Ok, let's get back on topic...

Who here is honestly, 100% AGAINST gay marriage and relationships? And please have a valid reason and not 'because the Bible said so." Really. You're a bit of a sheep if you just obey the Bible without question, without looking into the other side.

I am all for gay marriage and such, there is nothing wrong with it. It's not pedophilia, it's not rape, it's nothing of the sort, it's two people who love eachother. Two people who are of the same sex. Get over it. They're in love, that's all that matters, no-one else should have a say in otherwise.

We don't ban heterosexual marriages, why ban homosexual?
I'm with you there. I may be in the minority, but if God was to say that something was wrong, I would still think it over first and come up with an answer using my own morals. The Bible says that God does want us to think for ourselves, otherwise there would be no doubt of its existence.
__________________
I am currently trying to think of something witty and original to put in my signature.
  #21  
Old 07-12-2008, 04:00 AM
Demon_Shiron's Avatar
Demon_Shiron Offline
Elite Trainer
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Deadzone
Posts: 512
Send a message via AIM to Demon_Shiron
Default Re: Gay Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormdancer94 View Post
Let's pretend sir means ma'am for a moment :P

Uhm, yeah. I don't get why people hate gays. I mean, I'm more concerned about that fact that the Pope looks like SATAN. Really. Have you looked at him? And they have a Popemobile. No, I'm not joking. There is a Popemobile. I mean. Really.

People only listen to me because I'm a loud, obnoxious jerk-face. I don't think they really listen though. Only the ones who think they have a chance at debating with me. Debating against religion is always fun.

My father's cousin is gay, well, he's kinda, married, but I dunno if they really are. He's a very nice man and his partner is always dying. Like, on and off, I know it sounds insensitive, but it's been happening ever since my mother knew the man, which was about 20 something years ago.
sorry about that lol
__________________


I Am Everything You Ever Were Afraid Of

My Friend Code: 2922-3457-5225
  #22  
Old 07-12-2008, 04:47 AM
hsb39's Avatar
hsb39 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,384
Default Re: Gay Marriage

The Pope thing does freak me out. Get a picture of Satan in a Golf Buggy and you have the Pope. I can't stand World Youth Day. Getting around will be hell, and we pretty much don't have freedom of speech for five days. I don't like the idea of the Pope, it seems a bit like idolatry to me. Wasn't the first commandment about idolatry?
__________________
I am currently trying to think of something witty and original to put in my signature.
  #23  
Old 07-12-2008, 05:07 AM
Stormdancer94's Avatar
Stormdancer94 Offline
Elite Trainer
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: You want to know... Why?
Posts: 782
Send a message via AIM to Stormdancer94 Send a message via MSN to Stormdancer94
Default Re: Gay Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firelover View Post
sorry about that lol

Hahaha, d/w, not many people realise I'm female, I'm so much of a tomboy, I ride the lines between gender! :P


Quote:
The Pope thing does freak me out. Get a picture of Satan in a Golf Buggy and you have the Pope. I can't stand World Youth Day. Getting around will be hell, and we pretty much don't have freedom of speech for five days. I don't like the idea of the Pope, it seems a bit like idolatry to me. Wasn't the first commandment about idolatry?
Yeah, I know.. Urgh...

All Catholic Schools get ANOTHER WEEK off for World Youth DAY. ... I mean, really. Worth Youth doesn't mean Religion.

I'd love to chat to the Pope, I have many questions that I'd like answered and many ideals I think the church could change, but no-one is allowed within poking distance of him, he'll be locked up in a van, probably waving sinisterly through a window the size of his head.

You know a Priest once condemned pokemon? Because it was 'Satanic' and many other STUPID reasons. God. Get a life man.
__________________
Those who fear evil are its greatest followers.

The Brood is growing!
  #24  
Old 07-12-2008, 05:17 AM
hsb39's Avatar
hsb39 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,384
Default Re: Gay Marriage

I would love to talk with the Pope too, throw some Bible quotes at him. The Pokemon thing is like when people call Harry Potter evil because of the witchcraft. You would think that the Christian community would like to get away from their behaviour on witchcraft.

And the Catholic School thing is just stupid, especially when the parents pay so much for their children to go there. It's a waste of money.
__________________
I am currently trying to think of something witty and original to put in my signature.
  #25  
Old 07-12-2008, 08:14 AM
Stormdancer94's Avatar
Stormdancer94 Offline
Elite Trainer
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: You want to know... Why?
Posts: 782
Send a message via AIM to Stormdancer94 Send a message via MSN to Stormdancer94
Default Re: Gay Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsb39 View Post
I would love to talk with the Pope too, throw some Bible quotes at him. The Pokemon thing is like when people call Harry Potter evil because of the witchcraft. You would think that the Christian community would like to get away from their behaviour on witchcraft.

And the Catholic School thing is just stupid, especially when the parents pay so much for their children to go there. It's a waste of money.


Dude, don't argue, if we push the point, public schools could possibly get a day off! :P


Mm, I mean, really. Witchcraft is such a farce. They used to BURN people at the stake because they used herbs or something in their tea. Oh, what a threat to your farce of a religion. Seriously, if different medicinal practices were a 'threat' to the religion back then, it's not a very good thing to publicly burn the people, I mean... Dude.

Back on topic, I wonder how many of the Pope's 'retinue' are gay? I can guess a few.
__________________
Those who fear evil are its greatest followers.

The Brood is growing!
  #26  
Old 07-12-2008, 07:16 PM
Mitsuzo-kun's Avatar
Mitsuzo-kun Offline
teehee
Elite Trainer (Level 5)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: England
Posts: 5,228
Send a message via AIM to Mitsuzo-kun Send a message via MSN to Mitsuzo-kun Send a message via Skype™ to Mitsuzo-kun
Default Re: Gay Marriage

Saying homosexuals can't marry is like saying black people can't marry. Both are minorities in society today. People, the government etc, wouldn't stand for the latter, so why not allow same sex marriages? :/
__________________
If you hadn't noticed, I'm inactive at the moment due to school and the like. If you need anything, drop me a PM and I'll reply ASAP, I try and visit every couple of days. Activity will pick up when there's a school break, I promise. D:

iamnotyou11 (00:41:35): scrotom?

ASB|URPG

  #27  
Old 07-12-2008, 07:31 PM
The Maple Syrup Baptist Offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In Canada being Canadian.
Posts: 7,123
Send a message via AIM to The Maple Syrup Baptist Send a message via MSN to The Maple Syrup Baptist
Default Re: Gay Marriage

I just wish people could learn to accept that there are no limits to love. People like GLaDOS make me sick.
  #28  
Old 07-12-2008, 07:33 PM
FireflyK's Avatar
FireflyK Offline
Five by Five
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Under your bed
Posts: 4,290
Send a message via AIM to FireflyK
Default Re: Gay Marriage

The Popes say a lot I disagree with. However, individual priests should not have their speech taken as representing all christianity. Every religion has a few nuts, we should just ignore them. Now, when they're the Pope, chosen to represent teh whole religion, that's one thing. But individual priests, it's unfair to quote. ^^

Anyway... The wonderful words of the popes (Isn't it comforting to know that a huge percentage of the world lives by the words of these people?)
:

Pope Clement VIII: “The Bible itself says that the Jews are an accursed people.”


Pope Saint Pius V: “The Jewish people fell from the heights because of their faithlessness and condemned their Redeemer to a shameful death. .... We order that, within 90 days, all Jews in our entire earthly realm of justice - in all towns, districts, and places - must depart these regions. After this time limit shall all at the present or in the future, who dwell or wander into that city or other already mentioned, be affected, their property confiscated and handed over to the Siscus, and they shall becomes slaves of the Roman Church, live in perpetual servitude and the Roman Church shall have the same rights over them as the remaining [worldly] lords over slaves and property.” (Hebraeorum Gens)


Pope Gregory IX: “They ought to know the yoke of perpetual enslavement because of their guilt. See to it that the perfidious Jews never in the future become insolent, but that they always suffer publicly the shame of their sin in servile fear.”

Pope Stephen III: “With great sorrow and mortal anxiety, We have heard that the Jews have in a Christian land the same rights as Christians, that Christian men and women live under the same roof with these traitors and defile their souls day and night with blasphemies.” (Epistle to the Bishop of Norbonne)

Pope Gregory IX: “We order all our brother bishops absolutely to suppress the blasphemy of Jews in your dioceses, churches, and communities, so that they do not dare raise their necks, bent under eternal slavery, to revile the Redeemer.”





Let's face it. Christianity's stance on gay people is nothing new. The religion is hardly the 'bastion of tolerance'. =\ Most prejudices- against black, gay, Jewish, whatever sort of minority- comes from christianity. The nazis took many of their ideals and plans directly from speeches of the Popes, after all.

Pope Eugene IV: “We decree and order that from now on, and for all time […] All and every single Jew, of whatever sex and age, must everywhere wear the distinctive dress and known marks by which they can be evidently distinguished from Christians.

Pope Saint Pius V: “In order to make an end of all doubt concerning the colour of the cap and the sign of the women, we declare that the colour must be yellow.”




I don't try to push my religious beliefs in keeping kosher, keeping the sabbath, or going to synogague on others. So, I'd appreciate it if christians would keep their beliefs out of my life! Marriage is a state sanctioned function that religion should not interfere with.
__________________

My hands have yet to build a village, have yet to find water in the barren desert, have yet to plant a flower, and I have yet to find the path that leads me... I have not loved enough, but the wind and the sun are still on my face.



I have yet to sow green fields, yet to raise a city, yet to plant a grapevine on each chalky hill... There is so much to build and so much to be, and my love is just beginning.
  #29  
Old 07-12-2008, 07:43 PM
Master_of_Munch Offline
Elite Trainer
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Guantanamo Bay
Posts: 974
Default Re: Gay Marriage

Ok, Im Christian and believe gay people should be allowed to get married if they want, but Im still confused. Make the answer to this simple for me:

Does it say, in the BIble, that gay marriage/sex is wrong, or are there just things that could be interpreted as such?
__________________
Look for Seercry...
  #30  
Old 07-12-2008, 07:52 PM
Apocrypha's Avatar
Apocrypha Offline
Master Trainer
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Buy a gun. Kill the Batman.
Posts: 288
Send a message via AIM to Apocrypha
Default Re: Gay Marriage

Okay, I am just going to put an end to all discussion of this right here.

This is a Pokemon forum. It's a website and a fun community for hanging out. These threads are causing nothing but conflict. The people for gays won't win, and the people against homosexuality(like me) will not win. Let's just drop all discussion of religion and sexuality, and enjoy nice conversations about games, movies, and music. I tried my best to change people, but you won't listen. Lets just have fun. Okay?
__________________

^ Epic banner made by Anastasia-R ^
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Design: AlienSector.com