Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:31 PM
DaRkUmBrEoN Offline
M.D.

Send a message via AIM to DaRkUmBrEoN Send a message via Yahoo to DaRkUmBrEoN
Default Re: Argument through ignorance

I don't see a problem with that kind of reasoning.

When prompted to choose between two different objects, you either opt for the logical and obviously superior one or for the familiar one in case of one being unknown to you.

Especially with polls and such, you are prompted to give an answer. Though, without being able to fully know the options available and being asked to choose, one shall ultimately pick one just to be able to choose something. Since, if you option for not being able to choose, it will usually either result in being called names or your opinion to be ignored.

So, from a tactical and humane point of view, this may be a logical fallacy, but it is one usually derived from necessity.

-]DU[-

Near a tree by a river, there's a hole in the ground.
Where an old man of Aran goes around and around
Old 07-06-2008, 04:59 AM
skiboydoggy Offline

Send a message via AIM to skiboydoggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkUmBrEoN View Post
I don't see a problem with that kind of reasoning.

When prompted to choose between two different objects, you either opt for the logical and obviously superior one or for the familiar one in case of one being unknown to you.

Especially with polls and such, you are prompted to give an answer. Though, without being able to fully know the options available and being asked to choose, one shall ultimately pick one just to be able to choose something. Since, if you option for not being able to choose, it will usually either result in being called names or your opinion to be ignored.

So, from a tactical and humane point of view, this may be a logical fallacy, but it is one usually derived from necessity.

-]DU[-
Thing is, if you have no idea at all whatsoever about one choice in the poll, I think you shouldn't participate at all.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:11 AM
Sadistic Blaziken Offline
Master Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboydoggy View Post
Thing is, if you have no idea at all whatsoever about one choice in the poll, I think you shouldn't participate at all.
If I hadn't said that on one of my posts in this thread, you would sound smarter. -_-
...This is a very good question, as I have many siblings.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:34 AM
Fire Away Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadistic Blaziken View Post

If I hadn't said that on one of my posts in this thread, you would sound smarter. -_-
If you were less of a jerk, you would seem likeable.

Anyways, I don't get the point of this thread, really. It's a known logical fallacy -- what is there to discuss? :\

Hi

Old 07-06-2008, 05:47 AM
skiboydoggy Offline

Send a message via AIM to skiboydoggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Away View Post

Anyways, I don't get the point of this thread, really. It's a known logical fallacy -- what is there to discuss? :\
Some people don't understand the nuances of this particular logical fallacy, and it's one of the more annoying ones because you simply can't get the guy to STFU because he's a troll.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:37 AM
Stormdancer94 Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Stormdancer94 Send a message via MSN to Stormdancer94

I think what the thread starter meant before all the spam was, people who just stand up for one thing, only because they've heard of it. Like... Take politics for example. Some people say this candidate is better (X), instead of this candidate (Y). And they'd only say that, because they've only listened to X's speech, but not Y's.

I get the point though, hell knows I've done it a million and one times. But, sometimes it does lead somewhere. Sometimes. Not always *coughcoughhypocritecoughcough*.

The Brood is growing!
Old 07-06-2008, 11:45 AM
Rekhyt Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Quote:
Ahaha, you just merked him so badly.

On that note, yes 'tis annoying. There's really nothing more to say. Okay, obviously someone is wrong if they say, "I prefer Portugal to France because I've gone on holiday in the latter but never the first," it's a stupid way to win an argument and it doesn't gain you any respect. It's annoying. I don't think anyone likes it when people argue through ignorance, but, oh well, life goes on.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:19 PM
Poring Offline

Send a message via AIM to Poring

Quote:
QFT.

As I said, it would've made more sense to put it in the rant thread.

In the case that the person is a troll, ignore and don't feed.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:41 AM
Professor Geoffrey Offline

Send a message via AIM to Professor Geoffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkUmBrEoN View Post
Quoted for truth. I do that with a lot of polls I see, because I just want to up my post count, which should be respected. >___>

Old 07-14-2008, 02:16 AM
FireflyK Offline
Five by Five

Send a message via AIM to FireflyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffreys-Darkness View Post
Quoted for truth. I do that with a lot of polls I see, because I just want to up my post count, which should be respected. >___>
=p Very few people respect post count anymore. Probably because so many folks post silly things to up their count, that a high post count no longer means the person has been around a while, just that they post a lot.

My hands have yet to build a village, have yet to find water in the barren desert, have yet to plant a flower, and I have yet to find the path that leads me... I have not loved enough, but the wind and the sun are still on my face.

I have yet to sow green fields, yet to raise a city, yet to plant a grapevine on each chalky hill... There is so much to build and so much to be, and my love is just beginning.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:22 AM
Ridley Offline

Send a message via AIM to Ridley

If people respected post count, I'd be the most popular guy on the forum after Neo Pikachu. (Before the DCC got moved, at least)
Old 07-14-2008, 02:43 AM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

I'd have to say that while it is annoyingly common, you can't really fault them. As Dark Umbreon said, when given two choices and asked to choose which you prefer, you're going to pick the one you know. Simple as that. So I'm going to say no, you can't fault anyone (unless it'll take them two seconds to go to Youtube and check it out)
Old 07-14-2008, 02:46 AM
Angela Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via MSN to Angela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeveeking929 View Post
I'd have to say that while it is annoyingly common, you can't really fault them. As Dark Umbreon said, when given two choices and asked to choose which you prefer, you're going to pick the one you know. Simple as that. So I'm going to say no, you can't fault anyone (unless it'll take them two seconds to go to Youtube and check it out)

Yes I agree,, take some chances hell with what happens after that don't just judge something until you click the banner, so try something new like clicking the banner.

Gucci, Fendi, Prada purses, purchasing them finer things
Avatar by Tombi <3 Banner by Angela

Old 07-15-2008, 04:41 AM
Professor Geoffrey Offline

Send a message via AIM to Professor Geoffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley View Post
If people respected post count, I'd be the most popular guy on the forum after Neo Pikachu. (Before the DCC got moved, at least)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireflyK View Post
=p Very few people respect post count anymore. Probably because so many folks post silly things to up their count, that a high post count no longer means the person has been around a while, just that they post a lot.
People can't tell when a person's being a little facetious, can they? >_>

But, you know, arguements through ignorance are fine, really, and should be respected. It's all I'm saying. It's one of the many problems with this nation; people now easily take offense because they know they can at least threaten to sue, or sue for it, because they are sadistic mongrels that are hungry for cash.

[TheSorrowOfPE2K]