Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Entertainment

Entertainment For non-Pokemon related discussion, talk about other TV shows, movies, music, books, sports and more!

Old 07-10-2008, 01:11 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002
Default Re: What would you rather have PS3 or a WII?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofRohan888 View Post
The Wii may appeal to the casual gamer, but Nintendo is pretty much abandoning its hardcore crowd.
Errrr... You DO know that you just admitted that Nintendo is extremely important to the gaming industry with that statement, right?

by the way, most analysts who wrote the Wii off as a gimmick no longer are, since it's lasted longer at the "print money" stage than a typical fad. Case in point, Wii has become something like the DS.

Blu-Ray is NOT an advantage when you consider something called the "price tag". Whatever did it come to you that most households still don't have HD, and that Blu-ray isn't going to be useful until at least another 10-15 years, when HD is "widely adopted"? The wii, on the other hand, is driving down costs by not providing DVD playback, something that people already have in their living rooms anyway.

As for being "hardcore" (I say this because my definition of hardcore is clearly different from yours. Mine is more like the SNES era hardcore, where it's not about playing the genre "kings", but rather experimentation on gaming. You know, those guys that aren't afraid to go out to play weird Japanese games that nobody knows about.), the wii definitely wasn't meant to appeal to you. It's ok mate. It does appeal to the hardcore (my definition) crowd though.

Oh, on the comment on Brawl: most fighting games just have graphical/roster updates anyways. Honestly, the landscape of Brawl changed so much from Melee, it's not even funny...

As for RPG games, PS2 is still the king. >.>

Edit:
I actually find it interesting that none of the "hardcore" gamers here even gave wink at a game that I'm really interested in right now: Mirror's Edge. (Though I do have to admit that it's an EA game, which makes me suspicious already.)

Last edited by Kenny_C.002; 07-10-2008 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:35 PM
paperfairy Offline

Send a message via AIM to paperfairy Send a message via Skype™ to paperfairy

I would rather possess a Wii.

Will always find their kind.
ASBL | twins with Jenn <3
Old 07-10-2008, 01:37 PM
earth_type_rule Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

PS3. Why?

Wii is fun, but I'd only take that for SSBB and Mario Kart.

PS3 is 6 times stronger, has way better graphics, and more sensational games. Blu-Ray is definately something you want to have, cause you can get very nice quality HD DVDs. When going online, PS3 is far better then Wii. No FC needed and you can go with a lot of players at the same time. Wii doesn't support much.

Wii started strong, but PS3 is coming back, with good games and great updates.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Ranma Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Ranma Send a message via MSN to Ranma Send a message via Yahoo to Ranma

I really don't want either.

I am fine with my normal PS1 and GC. =P
Old 07-10-2008, 03:31 PM
Shadow Eevee Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 6)

Quote:
I'm not the only one that's seen it as a gimmick. It's widely viewed by many analysists that the Wii is a gimmick.

Not to mention that another advantage the PS3 has over the Wii is Blu-ray. You can actually play DVDs on it unlike the Wii. The PS3 also has all of those other advantages I listed above.

Overall, for a more hardcore based gamer like me, none of the games on the Wii appeal to me. And I've played alot of the genres before. FPS, RPG, Action/Adventure, Music, ect.

The Wii may appeal to the casual gamer, but Nintendo is pretty much abandoning its hardcore crowd.
=\

Last time I checked, a gaming console is meant for gaming, and not for music, movies, and other stuff. =\
Besides, do you realize the if all the Wii's games were the same as the PS3 and the Xbox360's, it might as well not be a console?
@ 2nd bolded statement: Again, you're definition of hardcore is a personal opinion, and maybe the people from the N64 era or whatever just have a different taste of video game genres.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:32 PM
KOR Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to KOR Send a message via Yahoo to KOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_C.002 View Post
Errrr... You DO know that you just admitted that Nintendo is extremely important to the gaming industry with that statement, right?

by the way, most analysts who wrote the Wii off as a gimmick no longer are, since it's lasted longer at the "print money" stage than a typical fad. Case in point, Wii has become something like the DS.

Blu-Ray is NOT an advantage when you consider something called the "price tag". Whatever did it come to you that most households still don't have HD, and that Blu-ray isn't going to be useful until at least another 10-15 years, when HD is "widely adopted"? The wii, on the other hand, is driving down costs by not providing DVD playback, something that people already have in their living rooms anyway.

As for being "hardcore" (I say this because my definition of hardcore is clearly different from yours. Mine is more like the SNES era hardcore, where it's not about playing the genre "kings", but rather experimentation on gaming. You know, those guys that aren't afraid to go out to play weird Japanese games that nobody knows about.), the wii definitely wasn't meant to appeal to you. It's ok mate. It does appeal to the hardcore (my definition) crowd though.

Oh, on the comment on Brawl: most fighting games just have graphical/roster updates anyways. Honestly, the landscape of Brawl changed so much from Melee, it's not even funny...

As for RPG games, PS2 is still the king. >.>

Edit:
I actually find it interesting that none of the "hardcore" gamers here even gave wink at a game that I'm really interested in right now: Mirror's Edge. (Though I do have to admit that it's an EA game, which makes me suspicious already.)
If they took Blu-Ray off the price tag it'd be much much cheaper of course, but Sony wanted to take that extra step. So when Blu-Ray does come in later, it'll be there. Blu-ray already beat HD DVD or something like that. Either way the Blu-ray is or will be an advantage. Also taking the fact that the Blu-Ray player is only a bit less pricewise of the PS3, its almost like buying a Blu-ray player and getting a 'free' video game console.

Well judging by your definition of hardcore gaming, its probably different than mine. My definition of hardcore is more of playing the games that either have an awesome multiplayer(Halo 3, CoD4), an awesome story/campaign (Mass Effect, Assasin's Creed, Bioshock) or if its just really addicting(Viva Pinata)

I like tp play games I can get alot of "play time" out of. With the Wii games, I can see myself playing for a bit, and then saying "Okay, done with this I'm going back to Halo 3."

That doesn't mean I don't have an open mind. I'll go out and play a game if it looks good, even if its not a FPS, like Spore.

And I don't think the PS2 is still the king of RPGs. You've got Mass Effect 1 and eventually two for the 360, and you've got Final Fantasy 13 for the PS3.

As for Mirror's Edge, I've already seen the previews. it looks really good, can't wait for more info.

These Pokemon are pretty dope :P
Old 07-17-2008, 01:29 AM
c-wooper Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via ICQ to c-wooper

i have a wii.
and well......it gets really boring after a while.
I say Ps3
because:
1. it can play way more games than wii
2. it can play DVDs
3. Blue ray
4. Better Graphics
5. Way more online stuff than wii

I guess it depends on what type of games you like.
Classic fun kiddie games like: zelda, metroid, mario, pokemon
or
Shooting games with good graphics, Sports games, guitar hero, etc
Old 07-17-2008, 01:53 AM
poke123 Offline

I have a Wii. It does get a bit boring after playing the same game again and again, but if you get some good, new games like SSBB and Mario Kart Wii. They're really good games.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:52 AM
EmBreon Offline
Killjoy

Send a message via AIM to EmBreon Send a message via MSN to EmBreon

I would rather spend that money on an XBox.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:54 AM
Professor Geoffrey Offline

Send a message via AIM to Professor Geoffrey

I haven't played a PS3, but the I know the Wii is for me. Though, if they make a Kingdom Hearts sequel, it may go to the PSP or the PS3, and I don't have the money to buy either one.

[TheSorrowOfPE2K]
Old 07-18-2008, 04:24 AM
Blufoo70 Offline
Banned

I already have the Wii but I think a PS3 might be nicer.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:43 AM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

I have all three and all three are equally pwn in their own way.

Still, my PC pwns all of them... or at least it did until it died. *weeps*
Old 07-19-2008, 11:03 AM
Teo Offline

Send a message via AIM to Teo Send a message via MSN to Teo

I'd say PS3 for a few reasons...

Siren 3
Street Fighter IV
Grand Turismo 5

Mainly I'd just buy it for Street Fighter. :3
Old 07-19-2008, 11:46 AM
Dark Lightning Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Dark Lightning

A PS3, because I already have a Wii.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:18 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

Quote:
If they took Blu-Ray off the price tag it'd be much much cheaper of course, but Sony wanted to take that extra step. So when Blu-Ray does come in later, it'll be there. Blu-ray already beat HD DVD or something like that. Either way the Blu-ray is or will be an advantage. Also taking the fact that the Blu-Ray player is only a bit less pricewise of the PS3, its almost like buying a Blu-ray player and getting a 'free' video game console.

Well judging by your definition of hardcore gaming, its probably different than mine. My definition of hardcore is more of playing the games that either have an awesome multiplayer(Halo 3, CoD4), an awesome story/campaign (Mass Effect, Assasin's Creed, Bioshock) or if its just really addicting(Viva Pinata)

I like tp play games I can get alot of "play time" out of. With the Wii games, I can see myself playing for a bit, and then saying "Okay, done with this I'm going back to Halo 3."

That doesn't mean I don't have an open mind. I'll go out and play a game if it looks good, even if its not a FPS, like Spore.

And I don't think the PS2 is still the king of RPGs. You've got Mass Effect 1 and eventually two for the 360, and you've got Final Fantasy 13 for the PS3.

As for Mirror's Edge, I've already seen the previews. it looks really good, can't wait for more info.
Certainly that's what they were going for, but to the consumer's eye, it's still too expensive. Again, this comes down to perception of value, rather than actual value. It would probably have been easier for Sony to go with the lower price tag to start with. However, this does mean that MGS4 wouldn't have been able to be played without the blu-ray anyways, so it is technically a (relatively small) double-edged sword.

I agree that by your definition, the wii would lack games for you. I mean, I can't think of anything outside of Smash Bros that still is played. I guess Animal Crossing when it comes out, but that's about it so far.

Speaking of Spore: Got the creature creator yet? :3

Well, it depends on your definition of how a king should be. 360 will eventually overtake the PS2, but just not now. So far only 4 games (Blue Dragon, Chopin, Lost Odyssey, and Mass Effect) are out as of yet. I don't count Oblivion because I personally think the game is closer to adventure with RPG elements rather than a full-fledged RPG. By contrast, in the past 2 years, the PS2 pumped out a larger number of RPG games (Soul Nomad, Odin Sphere, P3, Tales, etc.). As I said, while it is still the king, it will be overtaken. :3

I guess I'll be getting Mirror's Edge for PC then, since I don't exactly have a 360 or a PS3. If you'd like to contribute to the "help a Kenny get some consoles fund", you may contact me. XD