Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Entertainment

Entertainment For non-Pokemon related discussion, talk about other TV shows, movies, music, books, sports and more!

Old 07-04-2008, 03:05 AM
Cybernetic Ghost Offline
Elite Trainer

Default Re: Most Overrated Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbok View Post
Let's take a look:
Twilight Princess
Super Mario Galaxy
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles [M]
Guitar Hero 3
Medal of Honor Heroes 2
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Lego Star Wars: The Complete Sagas
Super Paper Mario
Resident Evil 4 [M]
Madden 2008
DragonBall Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3
Zack and Wiki: Quest for Barbaros Treasure
Mario Kart Wii
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Wii Fit
NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams
No More Heroes [M]
Disaster: Day of Crisis [M]
Okami Wii
Endless Ocean
Wii Music
MadWorld [M]
Those games are all on different systems. There are 42 games on Wii with a score of 75+ on Megacritic. 164 games on the 360 have a 75 or higher score.

360 has a better selection of Online titles I'd say, and alot of people I know complained of heavy lag on the Wii online(at least when Brawl first came out. Never bought it personally, doesn't live up to Melee). Never had a problem with lag on Mario Kart though, but I've only played that elsewhere.

Anyways, the Wii is good, but the fact is, 3rd party for it is pathetic. Nintendo is the easily the best first party developer, and one of the best developers period for games, but that doesn't mean everything. 360 still has a better library overall, and better Online play.

Quote:
Also, if you think the Halo and Gears are overrated, you either: 1. Suck at them, or 2. Don't have a 360 to play them on
Halo is a pos for competitive gaming, which is what the major audience of the 360 is, especially the shooter library. TF2 and COD4 are SO much better. The game is terribly imbalanced, and some TERRIBLE maps ruin the multiplayer in comparison to other games. I'd go as far as to say Snowbound is the worst map in any FPS I've ever played. Anyways, yeah, the Halo games are all overrated personally. And no, I don't suck at them, but if it eases the burn of the truth about the series, assume it. COD4 is the better console FPS, and CS will always be the better FPS.

Gears I don't have a problem with.

yes.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:25 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScottMan View Post
I'm sure a lot of you are younger, and so you like games that are made for your age level. Which is fine, but you won't find me jumping for games like the new SBB when I don't think it was that great. Especially when the online mode sucks peanuts, while the GoW at least works for me.
I resent that, considering that you've just insulted us competitive players in SSB as well as the entire engineering department of the University of Toronto. Just because a fighting game with just as much depth, or even more depth, than any FPS on the market, doesn't mean it's for little kids.

In any case, genre preference has NOTHING to do with age. I'm OLDER than you. I don't like FPS games outside of Golden Eye. I love RPG games. I'm into puzzle games and rhythm-based games like Tetris attack and Rock band. I love strategy games, etc. The point here is that your belief is, under these circumstances, utterly false. I see 8 year olds asking their moms if they could buy GTAIV for goodness sake (and I don't like GTA either). At the same time, did you even look at awesome games like Patapon? Or did its 'cutsey' graphics lead you to your attitude that infuriates me so?

Online mode sucking is known and I agree with you on that. :3
Old 07-04-2008, 03:33 AM
Nitrous Oxide Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Nitrous Oxide Send a message via MSN to Nitrous Oxide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Away View Post
orly

Overlooking the aforementioned Guitar Hero, I see...

Medal of Honor Heroes 2 (PSP) PSP is handheld, doesn't count.
Rayman Raving Rabbids (360, though admittedly much better on The Wii) That game fails on any system that doesn't involve motion control.
Lego Star Wars: The Complete Sagas (360)
Resident Evil 4 [M] () PS2 is no longer a console.
Madden 2008 ()
DragonBall Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 ()
Okami ( :| ) PS2 is no longer a console.

Also, Madworld and The Conduit (to my knowledge) haven't even been released yet, so how can Charbok claim that they contribute to The Wii's awesome library?

EDIT: Or Disaster...or Wii Music
Lol, that's three games buddy, one which is pure fail regardless what console, and is only included because he has a preference for that game.

Last edited by Nitrous Oxide; 07-04-2008 at 03:42 AM.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:43 AM
Stormdancer94 Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Stormdancer94 Send a message via MSN to Stormdancer94

How come PS2 isn't a console anymore? And why are handheld's out of it now?

The Brood is growing!
Old 07-04-2008, 05:44 AM
Fire Away Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Oxide View Post
Lol, that's three games buddy, one which is pure fail regardless what console, and is only included because he has a preference for that game.
It exists and is therefore still a console. Fission mailed. :|

Hi

Old 07-04-2008, 08:28 AM
Ultima Boss Offline

[insane quotations]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowLink View Post
You guys are just lame. Those are good games, you just want attention. :/
One could say the same of you, considering the defensive stance you're taking toward one's opinion.

You never know, that may very well be their sincere opinion toward such mainstream games.

Quote:
When a game gets a 9+ on most trusted game sites, I think you should lay off calling it overrated, because that just shows how good your taste in games is.
You're telling us that our opinions should solely lie within trusted game sites, when not all of us agree with their reviews? Besides, "one man's trash is one man's treasure", which can apply in reverse for this case. After all, their reviews aren't to be taken literally, or else it would ruin the basis in which humanity shines the brightest.

Quote:
The thing about Halo and Gears is that you have to actually be good at it to appreciate it
This applies to me, since first-person shooters aren't my forte. Of course, I enjoyed Gears of War, for the amount I played.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowLink View Post
Maybe in your case, but for people who want a variety of good games need to go elsewhere. It's the truth.
It seems you're confusing fact from opinion once more? From what I can tell, from what you, ironically, and others have pointed out the Wii has more variety than the other two next-generation consoles? Of course, if you're willing to prove me (and others) wrong then be my guest.

Quote:
The Wii took a step into the game that makes it money, but upsets most of the people who expect really good games.
Like I've said out before, it varies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Oxide View Post
And also, how the hell can the Wii be overrated? Sure, there aren't any decent games for it
I take it you had a change of heart for Brawl?

Quote:
And yeah, this is mostly about what genre you want. Myself, I like more mature games.
It would help if you define what mature games are, for people take maturity from different perspectives.

Quote:
I'm sure a lot of you are younger, and so you like games that are made for your age level. Which is fine, but you won't find me jumping for games like the new SSBB when I don't think it was that great.
I would like to know how games like SSBB are geared toward younger auidences when so many adults play it, or by younger you are referring to young adults such as ourselves?

Of course, if you were to use ESRB ratings for guidance then Super Smash Bros Brawl is for audiences 13 years-of-age and older.

[/insane quotations]

You know games are still being made for the PS2, right, Lan? With that, how does PS2 fail to be a console when that and every other aspect of the system qualifies it to be a previous generation console?

Also, Charbok, it would help if you differentiated the current Wii library from future games?

And finally, Kenny is my hero!

Now to state what game I think is most overrated: Guitar Hero.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:56 AM
Splishee Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Splishee

Stop dissing Guitar Hero. :P

All the hype is deserving; it's a game that, although not fun for most people who can't do it properly, was the first of gaming to do anything like that. Having a remote guitar to play songs is very original and has never been done before; so of course there will be hype for an original idea.

That said, I think that Brawl is a little overrated. Yay, Super Smash! Oh, Lucario! ... That's about it. There really isn't much different from the original Super Smash Bro., so it didn't really need a sequel.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:20 AM
Star-Wailord Offline

i say halo 3
Old 07-04-2008, 10:36 AM
Dark Lightning Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Dark Lightning

Gears of War, God of War, Final Fantasy, the Mario series, Guitar Hero, Halo series.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:08 AM
Hypocrisy is Fun Offline

Send a message via AIM to Hypocrisy is Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima Boss View Post
It seems you're confusing fact from opinion once more? From what I can tell, from what you, ironically, and others have pointed out the Wii has more variety than the other two next-generation consoles? Of course, if you're willing to prove me (and others) wrong then be my guest.
:|

Seriously? Show me?

Yeah, I know ratings are opinions, but they're popular opinion. I don't see Jenga for the Wii getting any perfect scores, and I doubt it will ever. When I talk variety, I'm talking quality variety.

By the way, I think when Scott said he preferred mature games, he was talking about games rated M. We played Gears of War together once. :]

Last edited by Hypocrisy is Fun; 07-04-2008 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:23 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splishee View Post
Stop dissing Guitar Hero. :P

All the hype is deserving; it's a game that, although not fun for most people who can't do it properly, was the first of gaming to do anything like that. Having a remote guitar to play songs is very original and has never been done before; so of course there will be hype for an original idea.

That said, I think that Brawl is a little overrated. Yay, Super Smash! Oh, Lucario! ... That's about it. There really isn't much different from the original Super Smash Bro., so it didn't really need a sequel.
Well I don't know about you, but us competitive players were in complete turmoil because Brawl was so different from Melee...

HiF: But Boom Blox is awesome. D:

Besides that point. I've said this a million times, and I'll say it again. Nintendo is more successful than both Sony and Microsoft combined in this generation not because they're "targeting little kids", but rather they're expanding the market to the casual gaming audience. By expanding to this market, we're getting "fresh blood" for the more mature genre-oriented systems such as the Xbox and PS3 to be able to survive.

as for why there are a ton of crappy wii games around, it's simply because the companies are all trying to make a quick buck off the "fad". Now that the wii is a fixture in the spotlight for well over a year, I think the companies are going to pick up their slack, and put enough effort to rival the PS2's crappy titles (which is better than the current crappy wii titles).

This comes to the point of "quality variety". First of all, that's subjective as a whole. Second of all, "quality variety" of course would be from established genres, which Sony and Microsoft should be getting games of. But do remember that there is no innovation from Sony and Microsoft. New genres, should they be born, will be from the wii. So while I agree with your statement, I don't agree with your dismissal of the wii because of it.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:48 PM
Poring Offline

Send a message via AIM to Poring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splishee View Post
What about Guitar Freaks?

Edit: Ice Climber is overrated. D:<
Old 07-04-2008, 01:57 PM
Splishee Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Splishee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poring View Post
What about Guitar Freaks?

Edit: Ice Climber is overrated. D:<
Guitar Freaks were just a series of games that had drum sets and guitars that played songs developed by the game company. Not those actually taken from artists and able to be played by the person playing the game. Alas, this makes Guitar Hero unique. :o

Lol, Ice Climber... x]
Old 07-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Cybernetic Ghost Offline
Elite Trainer

I'd agree that Brawl is overrated. Just prettied up Melee graphics, slowed it down, and got rid of everything technical that made the game live as long as it has.

Quote:
Well I don't know about you, but us competitive players were in complete turmoil because Brawl was so different from Melee...
^

That, and I find its lack of Doc disturbing.

yes.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:54 PM
Dark Turtwig Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Send a message via AIM to Dark Turtwig Send a message via MSN to Dark Turtwig

I think guitar hero is SOOOO overrated. Rock Band is way better. You can get DRUMS with it. And the guitar is more realistic than Guitar hero.

{Steel Leader in the*Official* Pe2k Gyms} {Dark TurtwigxThe Politoed Hunter}