Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Entertainment

Entertainment For non-Pokemon related discussion, talk about other TV shows, movies, music, books, sports and more!

Old 07-03-2008, 12:13 AM
Hypocrisy is Fun Offline

Send a message via AIM to Hypocrisy is Fun
Default Re: Most Overrated Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudkipboi View Post
Oh, now I know you di'int just dis the Wii. I own one, and it is just about the funnest systems I have ever played. It may not have the BEST graphics out there, but they are good. And Twilight Princess and SSBB are two of the most fun games I have ever played, next to pokemon. And battle revolution is for the wii, and that game is'nt bad. Personally, I think the Xbox 360 and the PS3 are complete wastes of money. Nintendo takes the cake in my eyes. (or thumbs, in this case. )
Maybe in your case, but for people who want a variety of good games need to go elsewhere. It's the truth.

The only non nintendo game out for the Wii that's somewhat good is No More Heros. The Wii took a step into the game that makes it money, but upsets most of the people who expect really good games.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:24 AM
Jack of Clovers Offline
~lil leprechaun~

Send a message via ICQ to Jack of Clovers Send a message via AIM to Jack of Clovers Send a message via MSN to Jack of Clovers Send a message via Yahoo to Jack of Clovers Send a message via Skype™ to Jack of Clovers

Assassin's Creed was probably the most recently over-hyped, and equally dissapointing game released within the last year.

~Jack~

-| Links |-
Old 07-03-2008, 03:31 AM
Nitrous Oxide Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Nitrous Oxide Send a message via MSN to Nitrous Oxide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowLink View Post
You guys are just lame. Those are good games, you just want attention. :/

Oblivion? Seriously? That game was a masterpiece and by far the best action RPG I've ever played.

Personally I think Forza is pretty overrated as a racing game.
Disagreed, Forza is the most excellent racing game I've played, and I'm a fan of racing games.

CoD4, GTA 4, Halo 3, Guitar Hero, they all deliver unique and fun content, and are not overrated one bit. Assassin's Creed, on the other hand, was a huge disappointment for all the hype it got.

And also, how the hell can the Wii be overrated? Sure, there aren't any decent games for it, but it has freaking technology that's one step closer to virtual reality.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:19 PM
Charbok Offline

Send a message via AIM to Charbok Send a message via MSN to Charbok Send a message via Skype™ to Charbok

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowLink View Post
Maybe in your case, but for people who want a variety of good games need to go elsewhere. It's the truth.

The only non nintendo game out for the Wii that's somewhat good is No More Heros. The Wii took a step into the game that makes it money, but upsets most of the people who expect really good games.
You know, too many people are convinced that the Wii has no good games, so, I'm forced to pop this out again...

The 360 is far better than the PS3, that much is proven.
PS3 has graphics, crappy online, crappy games, no exclusive decents, and it's overpriced. Now for the glory of the Wii...

Boring essentials such as price ($250) and release date (8th of December), are irrelevant, but rather this post will also include more elaborate nuggets of information which, when put together, make the Wii look like the best piece of home entertainment hardware ever released.

Let’s look at this in more detail. First of all, the size of the console - this thing is tiny. Its largest dimension in any direction is less than 22cm, which basically means you could hide it behind a piece of A4 paper. Secondly, the control system is completely revolutionary (pardon the pun.) This isn’t a gimmicky add-on or an optional extra; it’s an entirely new way to play games. Whilst the obvious uses have already been leapt on (swordfighting, tennis) in time developers will come up with all kinds of bizarre and ingenious uses for the Wiimote - and because it’s so naturally intuitive, it will lead the way towards ever more absorbing gaming experiences.

But still, this is all just so much faff. The real reason why this console will be the best one ever made is the fact that it’s Nintendo. Nintendo are the only company in gaming who can release games which are essentially updated versions of their previous games, yet still make them completely unmissable. Check out any ‘greatest games of all time’ list you like and you’ll undoubtedly find Super Mario Brothers, Super Mario Brothers 3, Super Mario World and Mario 64 on there. Yup, all four of them. Because the gameplay dynamic has been improved every single time without sacrificing the playability of the game - hell, most of the time the playability has been increased.

Factor in the other first party titles like Super Smash Brothers Brawl (the sequel to the most fun multiplayer game of all time) and Twilight Princess, as well as the new avenues open to enterprising third party developers, and we’ve really got the ball rolling. There’s even a classic control pad for those die-hard skeptics, which will allow ports of multi-console games which can’t utilize the Wiimote to transfer across - or if you prefer, you can plug an old-fashioned Gamecube control pad in as well (as well as Gamecube memory cards).

This is just as well, because the Wii is backwards-compatible with the Gamecube. That’s right, you can stick your old Gamecube discs in there and play them just like you used to. But this backwards compatibility goes even further than that - you can play Nintendo 64 games on the Wii. You can play SNES games on the Wii. ****, you can play NES games on the Wii. Nintendo realized that things would get a bit confusing if they had to add ports on their state-of-the-art machine for twenty year old cartridges, so in a move of genius they created the Virtual Console. This concept takes the idea of gaming emulation to its literal and legal conclusion - much like iTunes has done for mp3 downloading. What it basically amounts to is that you can download pretty much any classic game from your childhood, and using a Gamecube controller or a Classic Wii pad, play it on your TV like it’s 1993. It even includes Megadrive games, thanks to SEGA pulling out of the console market several years ago and allying with Nintendo. Sonic The Hedgehog? Yes please.

So of course to use the Virtual Console you need to go onto the Internet. So, in accordance, Nintendo have created a costly ‘pay per minute’ online system whereby you buy an account and then use your minutes as you wish. No, wait… that idea sucks. Nintendo clearly realized that too, which is why what they’re actually doing is enabling the Wii to use your current home Internet connection, at no extra cost to your monthly bill. The same connection you’re using to read this is the one you’ll be plugging your Wii into - and if you’re on an unlimited access broadband account (which currently costs from around $15 - $35 a month, depending on your speed) that means that you can use your Wii whenever you like, as much as you like. It’s all wireless of course, so assuming you have a router already then you really don’t need to do anything at all - the Wii is essentially plug and play.

You’ll need this Internet connection of course, because you’ll be using your Wii to surf the web. Or not, if you don’t want to - but it’s nice to know that you can. What might be more useful are the Wii Channels. You can check out a local weather report, or catch up on all the important news of the day. These little touches are completely unnecessary, but the fact that they’re there all the same is great. You won’t even have to turn on your PC to see if your favorite site has been updated before getting into a Mario Kart session.

Oh, yeah - the games. See, a lot of them are online too, obviously, which enables you to play the most addictive multiplayer games of all time (Mario Kart and Smash Bros.) a lot more often than usual - because really, organizing a four-player multiplayer in real life is a pain in the ass, and you need to own four control pads. You can even make your own little ‘Nintavatar’ which is the same kind of thing as an MSN profile, which is stored on your Wiimote in case you go to a friend’s house for a game.

Speaking of games, Wii also has the best selection of games.

Let's take a look:
Twilight Princess
Super Mario Galaxy
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles [M]
Guitar Hero 3
Medal of Honor Heroes 2
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Lego Star Wars: The Complete Sagas
Super Paper Mario
Resident Evil 4 [M]
Madden 2008
DragonBall Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3
Zack and Wiki: Quest for Barbaros Treasure
Mario Kart Wii
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Wii Fit
NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams
No More Heroes [M]
Disaster: Day of Crisis [M]
Okami Wii
Endless Ocean
Wii Music
MadWorld [M]
The Conduit [M]

And those are just the great games.
Argue all you want, but it looks to me like Wii is the best.
BUT WAIT!
That's not all!

The Wii also has tons of other channels that you can screw around on such as the:
Everybody Votes Channel
News Channel
Forecast Channel
Check Mii Out Channel
Internet Channel

Plus! The newly announced:
WiiWare Channel, which is alot like XBOX live arcade, but with brand new games rather than old games, and WiiMote using remakes of old games.

And...

The Nintendo Channel for All!
A game information channel which is similar to kiosks in retail outlets.
The channel will let you view videos and commercials of Wii games, and, better yet, allow you to download software for the DS (Similar to DS Download Stations). The Channel also has the ability to keep track of games you play and provide information on other titles you may enjoy. Plus it lets you vote on games to recommend them to others.

Yea... I could get way more into it and blow you away even more, but I'll save you the humiliation.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:27 PM
Fire Away Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Quote:
Speaking of games, Wii also has the best selection of games.
This is laughable, because a lot of the games you listed are just PS3/360 games with motion controls, and no, having to twist your hand and pivot twice does not make them new games. :|

Hi

Old 07-03-2008, 04:30 PM
Nitrous Oxide Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Nitrous Oxide Send a message via MSN to Nitrous Oxide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Away View Post
This is laughable, because a lot of the games you listed are just PS3/360 games with motion controls, and no, having to twist your hand and pivot twice does not make them new games. :|
There's only like three that are on other platforms, and one of them is Guitar Hero.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:47 PM
Fire Away Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Oxide View Post
There's only like three that are on other platforms, and one of them is Guitar Hero.
orly

Overlooking the aforementioned Guitar Hero, I see...

Medal of Honor Heroes 2 (PSP)
Rayman Raving Rabbids (360, though admittedly much better on The Wii)
Lego Star Wars: The Complete Sagas (360)
Resident Evil 4 [M] ()
Madden 2008 ()
DragonBall Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 ()
Okami ( :| )

Also, Madworld and The Conduit (to my knowledge) haven't even been released yet, so how can Charbok claim that they contribute to The Wii's awesome library?

EDIT: Or Disaster...or Wii Music

Hi

Last edited by Fire Away; 07-03-2008 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:56 PM
Clutch Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Send a message via AIM to Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbok View Post
[Unnecessary large post.]
Look, it's either that: 1. You don't have any other "next-gen" systems besides the Wii, or 2. You had to just point out every single ******* feature that the Wii had, just so you could add more points to why the system is so great.

I could easily do that with the 360 or PS3, without the unnecessary large paragraphs that no one else is going to read.

For example:

Xbox 360
1. Xbox Live (infinitely better than Wii's online)
2. Voice Chat (oh, wait, sorry, the Wii doesn't have that)
3. The best list of games. (i love mario, zelda, and anyone else you could also name in SSBB, but that's it for the wii. the rest is really third-party shovelware.)
4. The Marketplace. (wii has the vc store or whatever, but the marketplace is highly more organized and doesn't take a while to load a page.)
5. Downloading Videos, Demos, Music, and Movies. (can the wii do that? nope.)
6. Uploading your own videos, movies, and music. (oh, wait, the wii doesn't have dvd compatibility does it?)
7. Achievements. (yeah. this isn't a big deal, but it's something to go after if you think a game's getting boring, or you've already beaten it. for instance, in Gears, i wouldn't give a crap about COG tags, but if you get some/all of them, you get an achievement, which adds to your gamerscore.)

I really think that you're downing the 360/PS3 because you never really took the time out to play them, and/or dont have them. Also, if you think the Halo and Gears are overrated, you either: 1. Suck at them, or 2. Don't have a 360 to play them on.

And before you get started, yes, I do have a Wii.

Black Ops | K/D: 2.69 | W/L: 2.96

Last edited by Clutch; 07-03-2008 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:19 PM
pokemole Offline

PS3 has MGS4 at the moment. But if you look at the line up for games coming out for PS3 exclusives we have a lot of good ones. Resistance 2 for example will be very popular.

I have all three consoles, but I think the exclusive games coming out on PS3 is superior.

PSN ID- moleynator, if anyone wants to add me.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Dr Scott Offline
Vanilla Bear

Send a message via AIM to Dr Scott Send a message via MSN to Dr Scott Send a message via Yahoo to Dr Scott Send a message via Skype™ to Dr Scott

I would just like to point out that this is about the most overrated games, not about what counsel is best XD.

The Wii itself is and isn't overrated. On one hand, what they are doing is really great. On the other hand, they are far FAR from really 'getting there.' The only games that I have played that have been great with the Wiimote is the mini-games. So yeah, I can say that the Wii is overrated. As a system, not their games.

And yeah, this is mostly about what genre you want. Myself, I like more mature games. And more action oriented shooters and RPGs. For instance, I love GoW, I think it's the best multiplayer shooter out there.

I'm sure a lot of you are younger, and so you like games that are made for your age level. Which is fine, but you won't find me jumping for games like the new SBB when I don't think it was that great. Especially when the online mode sucks peanuts, while the GoW at least works for me.

Though great point Jack, that is a very overrated game :-/.

"God, my brilliance is now somewhat of a burden. Get back to me."
Old 07-03-2008, 09:48 PM
Rizaado Offline
Elite Trainer

I'd like to say that each system has their good and bad points
Like Wii: good: free online, somo good games. bad: not good usage of motion controls (they don't use it to it's best), no DLC (although they are changing that in the new Guitar Hero)
360: good: lots of good games, DLC bad: paying for online
PS3: i dunno much about it, but all I know is it doesn't have that many version exclusives but they are coming out with more.

So basically I'm saying lets not diss each others consoles because they all have their good points. Now I'm going to run back to the spriters section before I get jumped.

Banner made by Rizaado
Old 07-03-2008, 09:56 PM
-Felix- Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to -Felix-

WoW, and SSBB are really overrated.

What's not overrated is the Metal Gear Solid games!
Old 07-03-2008, 09:59 PM
Orthar Offline

Send a message via AIM to Orthar Send a message via MSN to Orthar Send a message via Skype™ to Orthar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amplified Pikachu View Post
This post is made of win.
Let me start off by saying that I had a Wii, and I loved it. That is until I noticed how relatively shallow the game library is. You can ***** and moan about how it has the best exclusives blah blah blah but in the end, the majority of Wii games are targeted at the younger audiences. This is one of the main factors which pushed me to trade in my Wii for my 360. The 360's library is huge and diverse. Diverse enough that whatever kind of game you enjoy playing, it will be there and shine. Sure, both the 360 and the PS3 over-hype their games but you know what the difference is? They can back it up with performance.

-Gears of War is one of the prettiest games that I have ever seen. It's visuals combined with storyline/gameplay mechanics delivers one of the most satisfying gaming expiriences ever.

-Halo 3, though not at pretty, finishes one of the most played Saga's in gaming history. It's multiplayer is addicting, and though story is sub-par to non Halo fans, they cannot disagree that the gameplay is over-par.

Now we go to the Online play.

Though the Wii has many games that could support online, it chooses not to. Once again, this falls in with the younger demographic. The games that do have Online more than likely fall short of expectations. Of course I am leaving SSBB and Medal of Honor Heroes 2 out of this category. Wii Online lacks many features, the two big ones being:

-Microphone.
-Friends list.

Though it does have a 'friends list', you cannot view what game this person is playing/invite them to one of your games. Also, many tedious codes are involved to even add this person to 'message' them. No gamer-tags, only a bunch of numbers. Can you say 'epic failure' boys and girls?

And just for the hell of it, I'll throw this out there. In case you've been living under a rock or are permanently blind in both eyes, you've noticed that the Wii's graphical abilities are sub-par to both the 360 and PS3. In some games the Wii looks a step above a Gamecube, and in other instances a step below a PS2. That and the awkward controls have forced many publishers not to port versions of their games to the Wii, and to leave them on the 360 and PS3.

All of these factors combined pretty much show how the Wii is inferior to every other console of this Generation, and why the console itself is over-rated.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:01 AM
Stormdancer94 Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Stormdancer94 Send a message via MSN to Stormdancer94

Haven't played Halo in ages, but it's good. Well, 2 was.

I think GTA was SO OVERRATED. It's the stupidest game I've ever seen.

Oh, that Cooking Mama series for the DS and the Imagine Series for the DS, seriously, put your hand up with you want to COOK on your DS or look after little virtual babies. ...

WoW isn't really overrated, it's actually a good game, as long as you're not that much of a d*ckhead to get addicted. I think there was a story where one woman prostituted herself to get gold for a flying mount. ... The good news is she got the mount.

The Brood is growing!
Old 07-04-2008, 01:52 AM
Fire Away Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormdancer94 View Post
WoW isn't really overrated, it's actually a good game, as long as you're not that much of a d*ckhead to get addicted. I think there was a story where one woman prostituted herself to get gold for a flying mount. ... The good news is she got the mount.
Apparently!

I'm going to disagree that Cooking Mama is overrated simply because not many people have even played it, and, for what it's supposed to be, it's pretty fun.

Hi