Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 Pokemon Main Boards Pokemon: General Board

Pokemon: General Board General discussion about Pokemon in general. If the topic of your thread does not fall into the subjects in the other boards, post it there. In other words, everything else belongs here if it doesn't have a board of its own.

Old 06-14-2008, 04:38 PM
Kakuzu Offline
Experienced Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Kakuzu Send a message via MSN to Kakuzu Send a message via Yahoo to Kakuzu
Default A thought on Marowak.

So, I was thinking. According to several PokÚdex entries, a Cubone wears the skull of it's deceased mother. When a Cubone evolves into Marowak, it appears that the Cubone grew into the skull. Therefore, a Marowak has a head shaped exactly like its mother's. However, wouldn't that mean that with each generation for Cubone / Marowak, that their heads get smaller? Think of it this way. MarowakA gives birth to CuboneB. MarowakA dies, and CuboneB uses the skull as a helmet. CuboneB evolves into MarowakB and gives birth to CuboneC. The process repeats. Because CuboneB's skull fits over CuboneC's, wouldn't, CuboneC have a smaller head than CuboneB. CuboneB would have a smaller head than MarowakA. Understand? Is there a flaw in this? If so, tell me. Because quite frankly, I'm confused on how this is possible unless the mother's skulls expand. Also, for reference, here are the PokÚdex entries I read.

Yellow: Wears the skull of its deceased mother. Its cries echo inside the skull and come out as a sad melody.
Stadium: Always wears the skull of its deceased mother on its head and never shows its face. It cries mournfully in the moonlight.
Silver: It always wears the skull of its dead mother, so no one has any idea what its hidden face looks like.
Crystal: It lost its mother after its birth. It wears its mother's skull, never revealing its true face.
Firered: It wears the skull of its dead mother on its head. When it becomes lonesome, it is said to cry loudly.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:10 PM
Viva la Gofre Offline
Stand your ground, this is ancient land.

Default Re: A thought on Marowak.

This is one of those "You're not supposed to realise that!" moments. It's one of the many little inconsistencies that appears throughout pokemon games, but because it's aimed primarily at children that dont think past the "Wow it wears a skull hat!" part.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:50 AM
Downhill Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakuzu View Post
So, I was thinking. According to several PokÚdex entries, a Cubone wears the skull of it's deceased mother. When a Cubone evolves into Marowak, it appears that the Cubone grew into the skull. Therefore, a Marowak has a head shaped exactly like its mother's. However, wouldn't that mean that with each generation for Cubone / Marowak, that their heads get smaller? Think of it this way. MarowakA gives birth to CuboneB. MarowakA dies, and CuboneB uses the skull as a helmet. CuboneB evolves into MarowakB and gives birth to CuboneC. The process repeats. Because CuboneB's skull fits over CuboneC's, wouldn't, CuboneC have a smaller head than CuboneB. CuboneB would have a smaller head than MarowakA. Understand? Is there a flaw in this? If so, tell me. Because quite frankly, I'm confused on how this is possible unless the mother's skulls expand. Also, for reference, here are the PokÚdex entries I read.

Yellow: Wears the skull of its deceased mother. Its cries echo inside the skull and come out as a sad melody.
Stadium: Always wears the skull of its deceased mother on its head and never shows its face. It cries mournfully in the moonlight.
Silver: It always wears the skull of its dead mother, so no one has any idea what its hidden face looks like.
Crystal: It lost its mother after its birth. It wears its mother's skull, never revealing its true face.
Firered: It wears the skull of its dead mother on its head. When it becomes lonesome, it is said to cry loudly.
It would depend.
Think about it like this.

The Parent A gives birth to Baby A.

Parent A's Skull has a value of 3.
If Baby A's head fits exactly with Parent A's Skull, then they have the same head size.

Baby A then becomes Parent B. If it's head didn't grow, there is nothing wrong with the process. Parent B would have a skull the value of 3, because the Baby's head matched exactly with the Parent's head from before. The cycle would then repeat. If the head did grow, then the skull would have to grow to accomodate the bigger head.

You assume that the new Baby's head needs to be smaller than the originals to fit.
As I mentioned before, their heads could stay the same shape and size, meaning that Cubone doesn't grow when it evolves and it's skull stays the same size.

Last edited by Downhill; 06-16-2008 at 04:53 AM.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:55 AM
Sadistic Blaziken Offline
Master Trainer

But, of course, wouldn't that mean that, say, Marowak die right after giving birth every single time?! Plus, the Marowak's body would have to degenerate instantaneously if it were possible for no Trainers to see its face without the skull.

...Gee, I hate these moments... ...They make me feel like a retard, yet a genius at the same time... XP
...This is a very good question, as I have many siblings.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:59 AM
Downhill Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadistic Blaziken View Post
But, of course, wouldn't that mean that, say, Marowak die right after giving birth every single time?! Plus, the Marowak's body would have to degenerate instantaneously if it were possible for no Trainers to see its face without the skull.

...Gee, I hate these moments... ...They make me feel like a retard, yet a genius at the same time... XP

That's what it says in the Dex.
The fact that the Parent dies immediately after birth doesn't really have to do much with the inheritance and size of the skull.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:22 AM
Scourge of Amaranth Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Send a message via AIM to Scourge of Amaranth

You can't fit two things of the exact same size inside of eachother, so it would stand to reason.... Perhaps the Cubone genus has elastic bones. O.o

Or maybe, when the Cubone's head grows, it loosens the skull just a tiny bit from the pressure and grows as tightly as possible into it.

Here's a thought: what happens to the grandmother's skull?

EmBreon is the maple syrup to my slightly undercooked crepe
{URPG Stats}--{ASB Stats}--{Fanfiction}
khajmer = biffle
yoface = broham

thegalleonman: (8:37:28 PM) How sad.
thegalleonman: (8:37:37 PM) I'm amused.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:27 AM
Downhill Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by iplaygc View Post
You can't fit two things of the exact same size inside of eachother, so it would stand to reason.... Perhaps the Cubone genus has elastic bones. O.o

Or maybe, when the Cubone's head grows, it loosens the skull just a tiny bit from the pressure and grows as tightly as possible into it.

Here's a thought: what happens to the grandmother's skull?
That does nothing.
Then I could just say that the Parent's head fit it's SKull and the Baby's head fit the skull in the same way, taking up the same space, and it'd be the same.

When the Pokemon evolves, the skull is either refreshed and evolves with it, or it stays the same skull.

If it stays the same skull, then the Marowak from millions of years ago had the same skull as the one we have today, following my logic.

This can't be the case, so we assume that there would be no grandmothers skull, the original Marowak's skull would be refreshed after.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:14 AM
07hillmic Offline

confusing
Old 06-16-2008, 08:07 AM
Gold Groudon Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Gold Groudon Send a message via MSN to Gold Groudon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhill View Post
That does nothing.
Then I could just say that the Parent's head fit it's SKull and the Baby's head fit the skull in the same way, taking up the same space, and it'd be the same.

When the Pokemon evolves, the skull is either refreshed and evolves with it, or it stays the same skull.

If it stays the same skull, then the Marowak from millions of years ago had the same skull as the one we have today, following my logic.

This can't be the case, so we assume that there would be no grandmothers skull, the original Marowak's skull would be refreshed after.
This guy is right.

Umm, new concept...

Maybe when marowak evolves, the mothers skull kinda like disappears or melts or something, and the newly evolved marowaks skull comes to the surfave of the Marowak.

If that were what happens, well the skull would be the same size and it wouldn't be really, really old. Although, it would still take time to decompose...

Yea, its weird, I know lol.

Keepin it Simple
Pearl: Ben
FC:4983-2039-2445
(If i cant remember it now, i might as well just throw the game away...)
Old 06-17-2008, 06:07 AM
Hazmatt Offline

No, no, no. You are all incorrect. The obvious answer is obtained using the Hazmarowak Formulae.

First, let the original Marowak be M1. Marowak M1 does not have a Skull Helmet, as she did not take it from her mother.

M1 gets busy with a male Maro' and has C1 (Cubone 1). M1 then gets mauled by an Ursaring and dies. C1 cries for a bit and then nicks the skull of her (his?) mother. Now, we simply substitute the value of C1 into the Hazmarowak Formula:

Skull2 = C + M/MC + C/CX2^4

So that leaves us with Skull1 = C = M

But remember that (M1 + M1's husband) > C1

and

C2 < C1 < (M56)

So

C + M/MC + C/CX2^4 can be ignored.

So M1's skull was purple.

Er...
"DOCTOR OCTAGONAPUS BLAARGH!"
Old 06-17-2008, 01:44 PM
silverlugia2 Offline
Amateur Trainer

Send a message via AIM to silverlugia2

I think that since the cubone baby is smaller than the mother the skull would have no problem fitting on the baby. So as time passes the baby's body will grow larger but the head will never grow larder than the skull. The same thing can be seen long ago when the chinese (atleast I think it's chinese, not sure) women used to wear small shoes from birth, and as they grew their feet stayed the same size. I am not sure if am making since so I'll leave it at that.

Last edited by silverlugia2; 06-17-2008 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:07 PM
DragoniteMistress Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to DragoniteMistress Send a message via Yahoo to DragoniteMistress

This is tricky.

Let's go with this.

Cubone's skull is frayed with age.
When evolution occurs, everything is renewed/refreshed.
Giving the skull a more "wholesome" appearance, and more fitting.

Eh, best I can come up with.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:52 PM
GyaraKKO Offline
New Trainer

Despite that it is never addressed (you never pick up Old Skull or some such item) I have always assumed that while cubone wears a skull over its head, marowak's head just looks like a skull. Unlike cubone, the bottom of marowak's head is shown as being white as well, so it seems to me that it's not wearing anything.

Last edited by GyaraKKO; 01-17-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:43 PM
NES2 Offline

The whole idea of the mother dying after birth raises problems with actual game canon too, since we all know that when two Marowak breed you get a Cubone with a skull, but the parent doesn't die. Of course, losing a Pokemon you trained for so long after breeding would be illogical and pointless, but it creates a paradox. If you bred the Marowak and got an egg, and the Mother Marowak didn't die, how does the Cubone get the skull.

Also, if you breed two Kangaskan and receive an egg, how come you get a FULLY GROWN Kangaskan WITH A BABY already in it's pouch when it hatches.

My theory is that Professor Oak was on *INSERT DRUG HERE* while he was programming the Pokedex's information, since the endless loopholes and paradoxes really make the information incredible.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:42 PM
Mr420 Offline

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr420
Red face Re: A thought on Marowak.

there is plenty not out in the open.
EX: as Scourge of Amaranth already posted^ but i like to credit that to the diet of said Cubone/Marowak species which makes for a skull which can expand a bit to accomodate the offspring .

I also want to mention its not clearly talked about but maybe the Cubone species is at birth carniverous eating the weak mother except her soft skull which we know what happens next.

PokÚrus Empire