Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:03 PM
Charbok Offline

Send a message via AIM to Charbok Send a message via MSN to Charbok Send a message via Skype™ to Charbok
Default Re: Cock Fights: Right or Wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL23 View Post
Animals have no soul? Wow, that's really f**ked.
Actually, it isn't too far fetched. In many studies, people have shown that the only animals that have more emotion than just basic instinct are dolphins and some species of ape.

Also, it's not like they're making the roosters fight. In a natural habitat, roosters just fight each other naturally. It's in their blood.

However, adding metal claws to the roosters is a little much, I think.

Personally, I hate anything that has to do with the death and/or pain of animals, but at a factual standpoint, it's not that bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Falcon~ View Post
i have cock fights in my shower sometime, normally the bigger one wins

[we hold them there because people wont look for chickens in the shower]

but i only have one cock, and i have to fight my friends for theirs sometimes
Not. Funny. Period.

Last edited by Charbok; 06-05-2008 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:13 PM
shedinjask Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Just because they don't have advanced emotions doesn't mean they can't feel pain. The roosters wouldn't know or care if we seperated them from other roosters so they wouldn't fight, and if it prevents pain, then the obvious solution is to seperate roosters so they don't fight.

brawlin': 5069-3607-4841
Old 06-05-2008, 10:25 PM
Charbok Offline

Send a message via AIM to Charbok Send a message via MSN to Charbok Send a message via Skype™ to Charbok

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedinjask View Post
Just because they don't have advanced emotions doesn't mean they can't feel pain. The roosters wouldn't know or care if we seperated them from other roosters so they wouldn't fight, and if it prevents pain, then the obvious solution is to seperate roosters so they don't fight.
You know what? That's a great idea.

Let's just separate all the roosters in the world so they each have their own little space!
That way they won't feel pain and they won't fight!
Old 06-06-2008, 02:59 AM
Dancing Mad Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Dancing Mad

Yes but when Roosters fight each other in the nature its because they chose to. In cock fights humans force the roosters to fight when they want.

"The only pace is suicide pace, and every day is a good day to die."
- Steve Prefontaine
Old 06-06-2008, 03:21 AM
Charbok Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
Yes but when Roosters fight each other in the nature its because they chose to. In cock fights humans force the roosters to fight when they want.
They set two roosters in a ring on opposite sides and the roosters just go at each other. They don't set them next to each other and grab the beak of one to stab the other, and then let them go. The roosters (be they smart enough to make decisions) chose to do it.

Again, I'm very against cock fighting in any sense, but I'm trying to prove the point of the people who do it.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:23 AM
Dancing Mad Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Dancing Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbok View Post
They set two roosters in a ring on opposite sides and the roosters just go at each other. They don't set them next to each other and grab the beak of one to stab the other, and then let them go. The roosters (be they smart enough to make decisions) chose to do it.

Again, I'm very against cock fighting in any sense, but I'm trying to prove the point of the people who do it.
The roosters don't chose. They wouldn't fight 100% of the time. Most of the time they in nature they are fighting over mates or shelter. In the cock fighting ring there is neither.

"The only pace is suicide pace, and every day is a good day to die."
- Steve Prefontaine
Old 06-06-2008, 10:27 PM
Charbok Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
The roosters don't chose. They wouldn't fight 100% of the time. Most of the time they in nature they are fighting over mates or shelter. In the cock fighting ring there is neither.
Then why do they fight in the ring?
Old 06-16-2008, 05:18 PM
suzyK Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

It's wrong, but hella awesome.

Kind of like greasing a pig, placing it in a pen and putting a python in that same pen. The python won't be able to swallow the pig because it's all greased up.

That's definitley cruelty too.

Besides, don't cocks fight in the wild, too?
Old 06-16-2008, 10:45 PM
Fishy Offline

Send a message via MSN to Fishy

I agree it is wrong . In the wild they problemly do it if they even if they see each other. My dad was a vet in the army and went to Tailand. He told me they bet on anything-cockfights,beta fish,and even grass hoppers.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:56 PM
Tasteless Offline

Send a message via AIM to Tasteless

In the wild usually one of them will back out and run away if the other one is much bigger/stronger or if they start losing.

When they do cock fights in small pens and rings, they are much more likely to fight to the death because they see that there is nowhere to flee to. Generally one of them will back down if there is an escape route, but putting them in a small area (and surrounding them by noisy people and the smell of blood and the noises of other roosters in their cages waiting for their turn) makes them much more afraid. Also, they agitate the roosters on purpose by shaking up their cages and sometimes they pour water on them and stuff like that. The one that loses usually gets killed by the owner on purpose, or just left to die even if it has injuries that could have healed with a relatively small amount of care, like just a simple disinfecting once a day, because they're raised to fight and no one wants a loser. It's like if you raced horses and your horse lost its first race, so you shot it.

Also, on a farmyard with a few roosters usually if there is enough space and enough hens to go around, they won't fight except for minor scuffles and they very very rarely fight to the death or even to serious injury unless you have one of the very aggressive breeds or just a particularly aggressive rooster.

Source: 5 years of owning chickens + weird hick friends that have been to cock fights

Apparently 101% of all teenagers are homosexual. Who knew?

Last edited by Tasteless; 06-16-2008 at 11:02 PM.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:02 PM
Bulletangel Offline
Elite Trainer

Saying animals dont have souls is nonsensual. Animals love you just like a human would, and in order to love there needs to be some sort of compassionate force driving them. So trying to claim that is ridiculous.

Any forced fights with animals is wrong. The reason rosters fight one another is because of natural competition, they fight for mating rights, just like most male animals in the animal kingdom. Heck, even humans do it. Does NOT mean it's okay to take them out of their natural habitat and pitt them against one another. I'm pretty sure majority of these roosters would have never met and fought, were it not for the forced scenario.

Not to mention the derelect conditions the chickens are kept in, in most cases. And who's to say the ower doesn't 'aggrivate' the rooster before a fight in order to produce a better outcome?
It's wrong.
Unfair.
And illegal for the right reasons.

...under construction...
-Paired with Hazmat Forever-

Old 06-16-2008, 11:09 PM
DragoniteMistress Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to DragoniteMistress Send a message via Yahoo to DragoniteMistress

Animals fight naturally - be it for food, dominance, territory, etc.
And they want to fight then.

So animal fights are natural, and can't/shouldn't be stopped.

Now, when we're forcing the animals to fight against their will, with no reason whatsoever except for another species' pleasure, then I don't approve of that.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:09 PM
Tasteless Offline

Not to mention the people that it attracts to the neighborhood are generally the same kind of people that get off on watching dogs rip each other apart and then executing the loser.

:/

I don't even really care for the "do animals have souls?" or the "animals love you!" angle, it's just that it says something about a person who finds those sorts of things entertaining. I mean, if you want to see animals die then what does that say about people? It's a fact that a lot of serial killers started off abusing and/or killing animals before they moved on to people, and it's also true that baby animals (chicks, puppies, etc) set off the same exact reaction in a human brain that a human child would, which is why we think they're cute.

Regardless of circumstance, if you could raise that baby chick, teach it not to be tame and comfortable so that it'll always be irritated enough to kill other peoples' raised animals, and then watch it get killed in a ring somewhere and think of it as "entertainment," what sort of things does that say about your psychological state? Somewhat worrying, I would think.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:16 PM
Poring Offline

Send a message via AIM to Poring

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyouChan View Post
Not to mention the people that it attracts to the neighborhood are generally the same kind of people that get off on watching dogs rip each other apart and then executing the loser.
That's a generalization. Some people just want to gamble, and it's an exciting way of doing it. They don't really enjoy the carnage; those who participate in the betting might compare it to a boxing match. They just don't feel empathy for animals. It's more ignorance than evil.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:29 PM
Tasteless Offline

If they just wanted to gamble, they'd probably do it legally and not go out of their way to find a particular illegal gambling event in which animals kill each other.

They'd go to a boxing match if they didn't prefer the carnage, because it's easier to go to a legal event. And to find one.

I mean, unless they're completely and totally retarded. But I'm more tolerant of mentally retarded people.