Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Entertainment

Entertainment For non-Pokemon related discussion, talk about other TV shows, movies, music, books, sports and more!

Old 06-18-2008, 03:40 PM
Dark Lightning Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Dark Lightning
Default Re: Movie Reviews [Warning: Possible Spoilers]

[Yeah, I'm seeing the same movies as Mario...anyway.]

The Incredible Hulk
The film was, overall, very good. I personally loved every single minute of it. Once you see it, you'll never forget when the green guy kicks a soldier across a field.

I felt the ending wasn't good. It did not tell you what happened to the Abomination. He was not killed, but then that was it. Nothing. This dissapointed me. But the opening was brilliant, especially the ending. About fifteen minutes of gamma-guy-dueling. It was very violent, but nonetheless heart-stopping.

There were quite a few scenes where he transformed. The idea of a boy filming it all on his mobile phone...that's used everywhere. That was the only annoying thing about the field battle.

I was sad I would never actually see another Hulk movie. But it was much better than the first film, and Hulk looked a lot better. The Incredible Hulk movie has many heart-pounding moments and many thrills await.

I'm going to give the movie a 4.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:05 PM
EmBreon Offline
Killjoy

Send a message via AIM to EmBreon Send a message via MSN to EmBreon
Default Re: Movie Reviews

The Happening

From the trailers, it seemed this movie would be full of twist and suspense, but the secret was given away far too near the beginning. It turned from a thriller to a gory death flick, with people dying left and right, and blood spewed everywhere.

The beginning of the filmed seemed to be a set up for a very intriguing and mind boggling film, but....nothing happened. The lead, Mark Walberg, set out to escape from the 'terrorist turned plant' attacks with a cliche female counterpart, and the entire film followed their journey across the eastern premises which hosted the strange 'attacks'. And what is the twist, you ask? The suspense? The secret? Well....there wasn't one. It ended abruptly, and the last few seconds of the movie shifted setting to somewhere in France, where identical symptoms of the deaths in the United States began to reoccur again.

The opening of the film had a line from Mark that is the only thing that keeps you thinking after it ends. He spoke of the disappearance of the bees, and how scientists slapped a theory on it about being some kind of virus. But in the end, it would only be a theory, and no one would ever be able to know factually what happened, as nature is out of human hands. The theory of the attacks was that they were caused by a chemical released from plants, as a sort of defense mechanism, causing the mind to shut down and the human to kill themself. That was the theory, but you'll leave the theater unsure of the exact reason.

Yes, I gave away the entire movie in two paragraphs; it was that pointless. Hopefully people will read this and save their 8 dollars for the Incredible Hulk.

Two Poke Balls out of 5. Mild waste of time.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:58 AM
Sixto Offline
Sofa King Cool

Send a message via AIM to Sixto Send a message via MSN to Sixto

Wall-E

This movie is pure delight. Pixar has done it again, and has managed to do it well... again.

From the beginning we see Wall-e hard at work disposing trash into cubes which he then uses to build trashscrapers (skyscrapers made of garbage.) The detail put into it is absolutely amazing. Wall-e lives on Earth with a pet/friend who happens to be a roach (Yeah, the one he runs over in the preview most have seen.)

Soon a robot (named Eve? I think) is sent to Earth (from a ship in the middle of nowhere) to see if it safe to go back and inhabit it. The way? Find life. I don't want to give too much away, but the way Pixar manage to blend a truly astonishing piece of art and a love story is extraordinary.

Pixar never fails when it comes to graphics, and the storyline is unique. Pixar has a knack for creating original storylines and making them instant classics.

I give Wall-e 5 Pokeballs out of 5. Go see it!

Last edited by Sixto; 06-28-2008 at 06:02 AM.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:56 PM
Dr Scott Offline
Vanilla Bear

Send a message via AIM to Dr Scott Send a message via MSN to Dr Scott Send a message via Yahoo to Dr Scott Send a message via Skype™ to Dr Scott

Wall-E

Yeah, I know that Mario has already written one. But hey, it's that good of a movie.

First off, before the movie there's a cute short involving a magician and his rabbit. It's a great start-up for the greatness that is to come, one of the better shorts I've soon. It's cute and has character, though at times seems as if it's painting a villain that really isn't there.

Now, Wall-E. I'm just going to go ahead and say that it's the best romance movie I've ever seen. It has heart, and it focuses on things that have no hearts (robots!). Even though it's a Disney movie and there's no twists and turns (not really), and even less actual words than most romances, it makes up in this with pure emotions and simple actions.

The movie will have you laughing, crying (well, almost :x), going 'AWWWWW,' and smiling as you follow Wall-E through his adventure. It's also a nice jab at culture today, with one giant mega-mart basically owning everything, and maybe even a warning of things to come if we continue on what we are doing.

One thing to mention: don't worry about the science of it all. It's Disney, not all of it makes sense, that's just something you have to put away in your mind while you watch this engaging, beautiful movie.

Easily max score.

"God, my brilliance is now somewhat of a burden. Get back to me."
Old 07-01-2008, 03:26 PM
The Maple Syrup Baptist Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to The Maple Syrup Baptist Send a message via MSN to The Maple Syrup Baptist

Wall-E

Mario and TheScottMan beat me to it, but a third review is absolutely necessary, if not just to erase all doubt from your mind - three similar, well-rounded, mature opinions are usually worth going by.

Wall-E is a spectacle. This is a movie that challenges what you think a movie can be. And especially in the CGI field, that is tough to do. Even though I gave Kung-Fu Panda 4/5 (which I might have to change a bit now), Wall-E simply blows it out of the water. It's even more brilliant than Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears A Who, which until now was my favorite CGI movie.

Wall-E doesn't ever need to trim the fat, because it has none. Every memorable scene, every astounding detail, every charming act, has a reason and matters. With that said, Wall-E has some moments of stillness that will leave you in awe.

The story constantly throws new things at you without ever ditching the things already established. It is epic, simple with amazing complexity, sad, political, smart and infinitely brilliant, and very representational of our world today. Pixar gives you a massive universe, and leaves nothing in the grey zone. The amount of effort here puts other movies to shame, and without spoiling anything, Wall-E begs for a sequel, a prequel, or some kind of sidestory.

At it's core, Wall-E is a sweet love story, one which grabs you by the heart and doesn't ever let go. Not that it needs to; Wall-E nails the romance (and character development in general) so well that you won't even realize how invested you are in Wall-E and Eve's romantic tale. Let it be said that Wall-E is the first animation movie ever that has choked me up and made me cry not once, but on multiple occasions. The last movie in general, let alone CGI, I can remember that made me cry was The Pursuit Of Happiness, and there's been many movies since then.

On top of all of this overwhelming beauty and layers of depth, Wall-E is fun. You will laugh, you will smile, and you really will believe in Wall-E.

Wall-E is the best movie of 2008, the best animation ever, and one of the best movies I have ever seen. Go see it now.

(PS - Stay seated for the credits, they're actually worth watching)

Last edited by The Maple Syrup Baptist; 07-01-2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:19 PM
EmBreon Offline
Killjoy

Hancock

This movie really had a great twist half way through. I thought it was going to be very cliche (superhero has troubles, proceeds to save the world), but it really surprised me.

The beginning introduces Hancock as this pissed off superhero who just doesn't care what people think about him, or if he is doing a good enough job. But he ends up meeting (by sloppily saving his life) a salesman who becomes his only friend and helps him improve his image. A series of events unveil Hancock's true feelings which could easily bring tears to your eyes.

Will Smith, as usual, made this movie what it was. Lots of humor, lots of drama, lots of action, and some pretty sweet special effects.

It's kind of hard to review this without giving anything away, but it's well worth the 10 bucks you'll spend to get in.

Four Poke Balls out of 5.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:35 AM
Blast the Stereo Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Blast the Stereo Send a message via MSN to Blast the Stereo

@Em - I actually guessed the twist before it was revealed. No joke. ;D

Wanted

I've been psyched for this movie since the trailers were released, and I've been itching to see it since it hit theaters. My friends had been raving about it too, so I just had to go see it.

And it definately met my expectations.

Wanted kept me gripped throughout, on the edge of my seat, and never bored for one moment. The graphics were spectacular and the action stunts, equally much so. A very strong cast, too, with newcomer James McAvoy holding his own against heavy-hitters like Angelina Jolie and Morgan Freeman.

[minor spoiler alert]

My only complaint was the fairly weak plot justification, specifically the Fraternity's loosely justified system of "killing one and saving a thousand" through the questionable "loom of fate" - but weaks spots like that are to be expected with action movies.

[/spoiler]

Before watching the movie, I saw that it was rated R for "strong bloody violence throughout, pervasive language and some sexuality," and was rather suprised. Most action movies are aimed into the PG-13 rating to attract a good audience, and with only "some sexuality," Wanted easily had the potential to reach this goal. So I was curious as to just how violent it would be to be bumped up to R.

Well, it definately earned that rating. XD

F-bombs were dropped all over the place, especially towards the begining, along with a slur of other swear words. And the gore was definately there: with bullets being shot through heads in slow motion and full detail, and lots of other blood splatter, knife cuts and full-on beatings. But hey, it made it even more awesome. ;D

There was only one, short, pointless sex scene showing only male backside, and no other nudity throughout. It was obvious that this was thrown in just for the heck of it, as the film would be rated R anyway.

Rating-wise, it's definately one you could go see with your folks if neccesary. Provided, they don't mind a few clips of simulated intercourse and can stomach all of the gore. ;D

In short, if you're looking for an adrenaline-pumping, obscenely violent, action flick, then Wanted is definately not one to miss. Truely a visual work of art.

4/5 Pokeballs from me.

paired with kimmi.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:02 AM
Dark Lightning Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian

Alright, this might seem like a short review.

The movie had lots of action. But, I didn't like the plot; personally, I prefered the original Narnia better than this one.

I didn't want to go see it, but I was, as usual, forced to. x_x However, it's not as bad as THAT. I've seen better movies though, definitely, and it was good, but not flawless.

The war scenes were great, action-packed, and I enjoyed both of them. The film was a lot more sad than the first, as about thirty of their own soldiers were trapped in the enemy territory while King Peter and the others had to escape.

I loved the minotaurs, really. They were brilliantly put into the movie, as were the other fantasy creatures. And who doesn't like a movie where animals talk?

Overall, it's worth the money, but don't see it if you're expecting it to be absolutely flawless; it isn't, and there were a few parts of the movie I didn't like. So, it was good, not bad, not brilliant.

I'll give Caspiany a 3/5.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:28 AM
Cheesy Offline
Amateur Trainer

The Love Guru

This is such a funny movie! I was a little late in seeing it but I'm so glad I did!
Mike Meyers is famous for things like Wayne's World and Austin Powers, Austin Powers is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen, so I expected a lot! Mike Meyers also hasn't really been in a big movie since those two, I'm glad he came back!

It brought laughs all through out the movie, from the start when the group started singing '9 to 5' xD. I saw it with my nine year old cousin, he didn't get most of the jokes, meaning they're pretty dirty. but hilarious!

Of course there was an all star cast, Jessica Alba, who for some reason falls in love with Guru Pitka [Mike Meyers], Verne Troyer, the infamous Mini Me! He played a fairly small part [No pun intended] but I liked him in this move as the Ice Hockey coach. Of course I must mention Justin Timberlake, who delivered a barely passable performance as the foreign hockey player. He put up a terrible accent.

Though the movie mainly centers around Guru Pitka, the plot involves Romany Malco's character, 'Darren Roanoke' being thrown off guard when he leaves his wife Prudence because he thinks that she was going to leave him. He's the star player of the ice hockey team, Toronto Maple Leafs, and his game starts lagging and they start losing games once he finds out his wife is dating the L.A Kings goalie Jacques Grande[Justin Timberlake]. The owner of the LA Maple Leafs Jan Bullbard[Alba] hires Guru Pitka to help get Darren back on his feat and winning. Alba's character Jane is hated by Fans because they haven't won a Stanley Cup since he died and she took over the company.

Well I suggest this movie to people who like super funny movies. although the plot isn't attention grabbing, the level of funny this movie has carries it to a rating of 4.5 Pokeballs!

Get it on DVD, hurry!
Sorry it's short, it's my first review!
[lol great excuse]

Last edited by Cheesy; 07-20-2008 at 08:31 AM.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:31 AM
The Maple Syrup Baptist Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to The Maple Syrup Baptist Send a message via MSN to The Maple Syrup Baptist

The Dark Knight

This review is going to be difficult, because I'm trying to summarize the most magnificent cinematic experience you'll see this year. The Dark Knight is instantly the best movie of 2008 and one of the best movies of all time. It surpasses it's former, Batman Begins, as well as every other form of Batman. In fact, it defines what Batman is.

Every character is so well developed, so perfectly, professionally performed, so fluid and effortless, that every unpredictable scene in this flawless masterpiece will have you on edge.

The story is complex and intriguing, and darker than you could possibly of predicted. This is Batman, no holds barred, no shark repellent; violent, gritty, smart, and real. It's mature and unpredictable, loaded with Batman mythology, and downright fun. The humor is tasteful, the emotion will shake you, and the sheer level of raw intensity will have you breathless.

It must be mentioned that above all, Heath Ledger shines bright. Ledger is perfect, and his death has absolutely no influence on my opinion when I say that he sets the new standard for performance arts which may never be topped.

If you're still reading this, stop now and go experience the marvel of The Dark Knight. Wall-E and Indy were great, but nothing can touch The Dark Knight as the best movie of 2008.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:15 AM
EmBreon Offline
Killjoy

Since Mario is making me...

The Dark Knight

It rocked.

Five Poke Balls

Old 08-05-2008, 01:45 PM
Dark Lightning Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Wall-E

Yeah, whatever. Three reviews already, this is a bit late...But, the more people review a movie, the better. You may not think another review is necessary, but whatever.

Wall-E. Wall-E Wall-E Wall-E. WALL-EEEEEEEEE!

I'm going to start this review with one sentence: The best animation movie of the decade. I went to watch it with very high expectations. With everyone giving it a maximum score of 5, at first I was confused. But, now I know that it definitely deserves the score. The film is better than any other animation movie I've seen, the plot was great and Wall-E's voice was adoreable.

Wall-E himself was amazing. I loved how he was animated and stuff. The movie is VERY touching, and it was brilliant. Pixar sure knows how to capture people's hearts. Touching, magical, awesome. Now I want to see Batman. Low chance my parents'll let me. >.<

It was also funny, and Wall-E made me sad at some parts. How could we selfish humans leave a cute bot on his own to clean up our rubbish, when he get's lonely?

When Eve comes, that's when the adventure begins. I'm not going to spoil it for you though...Just this once.

Go see it. Now. Right now. Immediately. It's compulsory that you watch it. :D.

Mr. Cute bot and his girlfriend Eve (Extraterrestrial Vegatation something) get a 4 out of 5.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:11 PM
WorkThoseStripes Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emporer

I don't know how this review thing works or whether I can just post my review, but my gosh I'm doing it anyway.

I was fairly disappointed with the new Mummy film and before I went to watch it I was in full belief that the film would not be a let down and, in fact, surprise me.

I watched the first Mummy film when I was a lot younger and I found parts of it scary as a child, even though some of it was meant to be funny. However, The third title in the series lacks that little bit of horror and has gone full on for comedy, something which has not worked for me. Unless, of course, you are wanting to watch that kind of thing.

The acting in it was definately not at it's best and, at times, rather awkward. In my personal opinion, only five of the actors/actresses impressed me in this. Two are Brendon Fraser and John Hannah, but it's hard to appreciate their skills when their character's are a bit worn out. The other three where Michelle Yeoh, Jet Li and Isabella Leong. Unfortunately, fans of these actors/actresses may be disappointed at the fairly short roles they have, even Jet Li who is the Mummy himself.

Another point I have to make, without making spoilers hopefully, but I wasn't even sure that he was a Mummy. >.<

There are also some bits that will simply make you think, "Wait...what?". Parts that should have been explained more and there are quite a few storylines that could have been ventured into, but were simply cast aside.

The film, as wellm was fairly short, as films go these days and you can't help but wonder why they didn't put in that extra half an hour of forty five minutes, as it would have surely made such a great, good and big diference to how the film turned out.

Apparently they're making a sequel as well. D:

I will give it 2/5
Umbreon
Done @ 1380
Old 08-23-2008, 06:26 AM
Sixto Offline
Sofa King Cool

Send a message via AIM to Sixto Send a message via MSN to Sixto

Death Race

So I went to go see Death Race today, it was a pretty good movie. Death Race is about a race for life. It's set four years from now, supposedly after everything falls. Death Race is held in a prison on an island (surprise, yeah, this movie is full of clichés. XD) which is taped and broadcast to millions of subscribers watching online.

The cast is really good. John Statham plays a good part, although cliche, he fits it good. Joan Allen is very vicious, and plays the owner of the death race. Didn't know she had such a dirty mouth. :p Tyrese Gibson played a part I didn't expect him to. I was expecting some comic relief from him. Natalie Martinez is hot, like Megan Fox on Transformers, she provides eye candy but also plays a little above average. The rest of the cast is solid, but again, has cliché chararcters. XD

The only thing I didn't like about the movie is that it wasn't long enough. The ending race could've been longer and the storyline could've used work. The movie had more gore than I expected; worthy of an R rating.

Overall, the movie provides plenty of action, but it is SO full of clichés; from the beginning credit font to the thundery, rainy prison scene entrance, all cliché.

I give it half score. I think it deserves more than 2 and a half, but less than 3.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:49 PM
Limelight Offline

Send a message via AIM to Limelight

Zohan

I personally loved it. It's sort of rude and has a ton of sexuality in it, but it's very funny.

Zohan (Adam Sandler) is young man from Israel who is in the army. His dream is to go to America to become a hairdresser. He is promised time off from the Army and is on the beach naked with some girls. He plays hacky sack with a small ball and has great fun.

The Israeli Army come and get Zohan to take out a group of terrorists, their leader, Phantom is a terrorist who Zohan caught but has been traded back. Zohan tries to capture Phantom by going through the building in a lot of funny moments.

Especially when an Arab shoots him, the bullet goes up his nostril, and Zohan blows it out. He chases after Phantom and ends up swimming after him while Phantom takes a jet-ski. He used a grenade and thinks he's killed Zohan. Zohan fakes his death and goes to America.

After being rejected by Paul Mitchell, he gets a job in a place called Dalia's Salon. He's cuts and 'bangs' all of the girls who go in. It becomes very succesful and Zohan falls in love with the beautiful, Arab salon owner Dalia (Emmanuelle). Zohan reveals his identity and they fall out.

Mariah Carey makes an appearance as the Israeli and Arab's go to a hacky sack game while the local developer Grant Walbridge wants to burn down the salon to build his new mall. Phantom comes to America and discovers Zohan is there, and that his sister Dalia is dating him. They stop Walbridge and open their own mall where the Arab's and Israeli get along.

The movie is hilarious especially with the Hummus (a tasty middle-eastern diaria-like substance replacing yoghurts.)

Hatch: 806
Charmeleon: 839
Charizard: 899
Level100: 1091