Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Entertainment

Entertainment For non-Pokemon related discussion, talk about other TV shows, movies, music, books, sports and more!

Old 05-17-2008, 06:30 PM
Sixto Offline
Sofa King Cool

Send a message via AIM to Sixto Send a message via MSN to Sixto
Thumbs up Movie Reviews [Warning: Possible Spoilers]

"Let's go watch a movie, Bob."

"Okay, what movie do you want to see, Ann?"

"How about Revenge of the Nail Clipper Trophy?"

"Hmm, is it any good?"

"I don't know, let's check the PE2K Movie Reviews Thread."

"Sounds like a terrific idea!"

XD

---

Post movie reviews here of movies you've recently seen at the theater. It will help people who are trying to decide what movie to watch or just to see what other people think about it before actually seeing the movie. There are a couple of guidelines to follow while writing a review:

- Try to make it two paragraphs with at least two sentences in each.
- Post a review of a movie that just came out in theaters up to two months ago.
- Reviews must NOT be of future movies, only until it comes out.
- Please post a review of a movie you've seen, not want to see. We have the Upcoming Movies thread for that.
- We will rate the movies using, what else, Pokeballs. XD After all, it is a Pokémon forum, and it will be a thread "thing." The most you will be able to give a movie will be 5, you can use a half as well.
-A solid outline to follow would be: Movie Title (particularly in bold), review, then your rating.

If your post is not a movie review, I will delete the post. I might edit your post if I see something minor wrong like grammar. If we get enough reviews, I will post an index.

Alright, start Ebert & Roeper-ing. :p
Old 05-17-2008, 06:31 PM
Sixto Offline
Sofa King Cool

Default Re: Movie Reviews

Movies are in alphabetical order, the person next to a title provides a link to that person's particular review of the movie.

A

B
Bee Movie - Kendo
Bolt - Sixto

C
Chronicles of Narnia, The: Prince Caspian - Sixto, Splishee, Dark Thunder
Cloverfield - GLaDOS
Coraline - Kendo
Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The - spid3r

D
Dark Knight, The - Omega Mitch, EmBreon
Death Race - Sixto

E

F

G
Gran Torino - Carmen

H
Hancock - EmBreon
Happening, The - EmBreon
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - Dragoness

I
Incredible Hulk - Sixto, Dark Thunder
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - Blast the Stereo
Iron Man - Sixto, Dark Thunder, EmBreon

J
Juno - pikachufan25

K
Kung Fu Panda - Omega Mitch

L
Love Guru, The - Cheesy

M
Marley & Me - Sixto
Mummy, The: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor - WorkThoseStripes

N

O

P

Q

R

S
Speed Racer - Omega Mitch, Snow Fairy Sugar
Strangers, The - bryceBAM

T
Taken - Limelight

U

V

W
Wall-E - Sixto, Dr Scott, Omega Mitch, Dark Thunder
Wanted - Blast the Stereo
Watchmen - Game Over

X

Y

Z

#

Last edited by Sixto; 08-23-2009 at 03:11 AM.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:18 AM
Sixto Offline
Sofa King Cool

Iron Man

I was pleasantly surprised of how good it turned out to be. The story line was solid and Downey Jr. fit the part surprisingly well. Gwyneth Paltrow is not someone I saw to be attractive, but this movie made me change my mind. The ginger looks good on her. It was funny to see how they made Tony seem taller, he's like 5'8" and she's 5'10" WITHOUT her heels.

Graphics are really good, as with any movie nowadays. The only letdown was there was not enough fighting between Jr. and predecessor. Other than that, it was a real good movie.

Overall I give this movie 4 Pokeballs out of 5.

Last edited by Sixto; 05-23-2008 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:49 AM
The Maple Syrup Baptist Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to The Maple Syrup Baptist Send a message via MSN to The Maple Syrup Baptist

Speed Racer

Speed Racer is an amalgum of blinding candy colors, a cringingly horrific script, and boring, pointless source material.

The actors and actresses are, in general, far too talented for a script this low-calibur (Matthew Fox and John Goodman to name two; almost every main star is recognizable). A testament to their skill is how they manage to deliver each line convincingly well; the thing is, the lines are terrible and just plain stupid.

I've never seen an episode of the anime Speed Racer until after seeing the movie - I almost fell asleep through one - but even still, the story was predictable beyond anything I've seen (read: I predicted every twist right up until the end, including when you figure out what happened to Rex Racer).

Even some of the "epic" camera angles which are supposed to pay tribute to the anime are ridiculous and laughable. You will find yourself feeling embarassed for the Wachowski Brothers, who also directed the thought-provoking, well-written (and sadly Keanu Reeves-ified) Matrix movies.

The colors are disgustingly bright and saturated and put even Charlie And The Chocolate Factor to shame in terms of palette, but this is only to the disadvantage of Speed Racer, as it is almost dizzying at times. Everything is overly glossy and over-the-top, and even though the anime is as well, here it's just overdone.

Overall, this is a movie that will bore you, hurt your sides from unintentionally provoked laughter, or give you an uncomfortable mix of the two, like it did for me.

1/2 out of 5 Pokeballs.

Last edited by The Maple Syrup Baptist; 05-23-2008 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:19 PM
Sixto Offline
Sofa King Cool

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian

The sequel to one of the best movies I've seen. In a way, I can say this one was as good or a small letdown. Either way you look at it, it's a good movie if you pay attention to more than just the characters.

I'm glad Liam Neeson came back to voice Aslan. Every time I hear him for the first time, I get chills. And Alsan is as breathtaking as ever. Peter Drinklage plays the part of Trumpkin convincingly well, and you can't help but like him. Repicheep is awesome, brave despite his size, that's admirable even though he's a mouse/rat. Oscar-winning Tilda Swinton made a cameo, but I wish she was in the movie longer, or more involved with the storyline. Of the Pevensies, I like Edumund and Susan, someone I didn't like in the first, the best. In my opinion, they are the most likeable. The prince Caspian dude I didn't like at all, much like Peter.

Overall, the action is still there, but some of the magic is gone. I was glad the movie was long as the action kept going. I wish there was more animal vs. animal fighting, though, I really enjoyed that in the first, but the movies makes up for in different way.

Prince Caspian gets 3 1/2 out of 5 Pokeballs from me.

Last edited by Sixto; 05-26-2008 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:11 PM
Snow Fairy Sugar Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Send a message via AIM to Snow Fairy Sugar Send a message via MSN to Snow Fairy Sugar Send a message via Yahoo to Snow Fairy Sugar

Speed Racer

Speed Racer, all in all, is one of the best ever movies made, in terms of Computer Animation. In those terms, it is very similar to Transformers, but unlike Transformers, it was a lot more flashy an glamorous, than it could have been, with exaggerated colors and backgrounds. While Transformers animations went smoothly, this was a little more eye burning, rather than dazzling.

In terms of scenery, though- Background, Backdrops, Environment, Atmosphere was amazing. It has been especially focused on with incredibe accuracy, designed to gasp, rather than dazzle the person. Located in various environments, each as beautiful as the next, and I believe, the beautiful scenery was what actually made it look so good, apart from the action. They blended in perfectly.

In terms of Storyline, this had a very weak story. I am afraid that the Producer and Director apparently felt that the special effects would compensate for the weak storyline. It was the same old storyline- The hero and his family who stick to their beliefs and blood, proving the rich heavyweight that he is wrong. Apart from randomness, and just sliding down of the storyline, it was rather weak overall. They depended too much on special effects, rather than a strong storyline. Brother goes underground to track down the villians, the Hero joins the cops to help them, we know when the Hero is{Speed} going to actually pull through, Rex Racer being alive in the end...

In terms of action, this was perhaps as good as Transformers. With a lot of comedy action by Pops, Speed's father, the little chimp, the Ninjas who tried to injure other racers, the cars getting pushed off and blown to bits, attacking each other was rather eye catching. Not focused on the same variety, action was delicately, but heavily spread and served in courses of various non monotous degrees. Especially if you are the kind of person who loves a movie like Transformers, Pirates of the Carribbean, or action movies basically shall love this. No blood and gore unlike 300 and Pirates, though. Rather slick.

Last edited by Sixto; 05-23-2008 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:29 AM
pikachufan25 Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to pikachufan25

Juno

I'm here to make a review for the Movie Juno.

This was one of the best movies I've seen in my whole life. Unlike the movie No Country For Old Men , everyone can agree that they love this movie.

The movie starts out with Juno, a girl who decides to have sex with her best friend, Paulie Bleaker (played by the actor Michael Cera, from Superbad). Juno gets pregnant and the movie is the story about the pregnancy of Juno.

As many of you know Juno was nominated for 4 academy awards, and Ellen Page should have won best female actor, for her role as Juno. You really connect with all the actors, and the movie has a rather realistic feel to it. I can't say enough about this movie, it is a must buy, just amazing.

I give Juno 5 out of 5 Pokeballs.

Last edited by Sixto; 05-24-2008 at 01:55 AM.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:56 AM
Blast the Stereo Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Blast the Stereo Send a message via MSN to Blast the Stereo

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Well, I have to admit, I went into the theater with pretty low expectations for this movie. I used to be a pretty big die-hard fan of the Indiana Jones movies, and I had so many fears of how this late sequal might completely destroy its entire legacy.

Boy, was I wrong.

First off, I must say that although Harrison Ford may be a bit out-dated, he really kept up to par in the often-intense action scenes. Which leads me to my next point, that the entire movie was packed with action - no long, droning beginning whatsoever - and they were played out extremely well. The car chase scene through the Amazon was quite outstanding, and the man-eating ants almost made me cover my eyes. Another high point was the outstanding cinematography, which made the movie so amazingly gripping. I must say, that Indiana Jones has definately grown up, beyond the literal definiton.

Of course, being a very picky movie critic, I did have one big complaint with the movie: the plot. I can't really say what part of the plot, as it could possibly spoil the movie, but I will give two hints. 1. George Lucas was one of the writers [think of his past, highly famous movies], and 2. The Crystal Skull is not a human [or animal] skull.

All in all, I thought the movie was outstandingly well done, and really lived up to its previous installments. While the plot was a bit over the top, the movie made up for itself in other aspects. Of course, there were corny, exagerrated moments that leave you saying, "How in the world did they survive that?" but hey, it's Indiana Jones, after all!

I give it a whopping 4.5 Pokeballs, which is a crazy high rating for a generally-harsh critic like me.

paired with kimmi.

Last edited by Blast the Stereo; 05-25-2008 at 02:05 AM.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:45 PM
Dark Lightning Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Dark Lightning

Iron Man

I went to see Iron Man all excited. When I went in to see it, I watched in awe.

The special effects were very good. The movie starts excellent, and then travels back to the time before he was kidnapped in a distant country.

He eventually escapes and creates his new suit. I have to say, I did like the silver suit best. He accidently gets the Air Force's attention and from there the movie continued to amaze me.

The final battle could have, of course, been longer, but there was pleanty of action and suspense. The casting was pretty good as well. Downey Jr was funny and great as the role of the multi-billionaire Tony Stark.

Overall, a very fun film. There were some tiny dull moments, but it was great. A must-see for Marvel/Superhero fans. I give Iron Man 4 out of five.

Old 05-31-2008, 05:01 AM
EmBreon Offline
Killjoy

Send a message via AIM to EmBreon Send a message via MSN to EmBreon

Iron Man

Most comic movies leave the viewer disappointed when they realize the lack of similarity to the original story, or the mass amount of special effects yet lack of actual entertainment. Iron Man, however, completely lived up to its anticipation, and I loved every single minute of it.

Robert Downey Jr. was absolutely perfect for the role, and they accommodated his height deficiency just fine; I didn't even notice that he was actually shorter than the female lead. I've heard an opinion of him not being very attractive.... but seriously. <-

The story and cast flowed perfect with each other, and the humorous and sarcastic comments from Downey really made the picture that much more enjoyable to watch.

Stark: "Please no gang signs."

Soldier: *Sad*

Stark: "Just kidding, throw that up there. I love peace."

^ Baha

The only thing I could see a difference for the better in this movie, was that the final battle with Ironmonger could have lasted longer. The entire movie practically lead up to that moment, and it seemed to go by pretty fast.

Overall, the special effects were amazing, and the story kicked butt, so I give Iron Man 17 Poke Balls out of 5.

Old 05-31-2008, 05:21 AM
Apocrypha Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Apocrypha

Cloverfield

I am a sucker for monster films, and Cloverfield delivers. The plot was pretty great, but not ultra-original. The use of "shaky camera" was outstanding, and very realistic, and it sometimes gave me vertigo(i.e. the helicopter taking off).

The graphics were amazingly realisitic, and the sounds even moreso. I could really feel myself into the film. Sometimes I was convinced it was real.

At the end, it left my heart racing, and I have watched many times over. I give it 4.5 Pokeballs out of 5.

^ Epic banner made by Anastasia-R ^
Old 06-07-2008, 06:39 PM
Bryce Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Send a message via AIM to Bryce

The Strangers

Being under seventeen, I was forced to sneak into the theater to get my dose of slasher brilliance. However, I came to find that the peril of almost getting caught was far more thrilling than anything this movie could deliver.

As terrifyingly excellent as the advertising and commercials make The Strangers out to be, the film itself fell far below par… Even considering that this was a horror cinema.

About six actors comprised the entire cast, and considering that only four of them spoke during the entire movie, you know that the director didn’t go “all-out” in terms of finding the most competent stars. The virtually unknown Scott Speedman was completely overshadowed by Liv Tyler, who played Kristen McKay, the woman who ruins his entire night by rejecting his marriage proposition. That night only turns from bad to worse as a woman arrives from the darkness at their doorstep to ask “Is Tamra home?”

This sets off a chain of events, beginning with the three masked intruders bestowing a barrage of fists upon the doors and windows of the cabin, continuing with an hour straight of Kristen and James running in and out and in and out of the house, as though this sort of plan would prove successful (?), and ending in their unfortunate capture. This was all played to the tune of a bunch of corny, yet strangely fear-intensifying old “country hymns”.

Sure, it provided a couple jumpy moments, and the masks that each “stranger” dons are incredibly frightening, but I found the scariest thing about the film to be the absurd ending.

Also, excluding the occasional splatter of blood and a one-time droppage of the “F bomb”, there was no reason that this movie shouldn’t have been rated PG-13.

And as stupid as I made this movie sound, I would be lying if I were to say that I am not going to see it when it comes out on video. Hey, I am a sucker for these kind of things.

The Strangers gets a whole 2 stars… Out of 5.

BRYCExKAT

Last edited by Bryce; 06-07-2008 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:15 AM
Splishee Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Splishee

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian

Well, I'm sure we've all seen the trailers for this hyped up movie event, which, coincedentally, came out on the same day as Sex and the City in Australia. Not the smartest move to release two highly-anticipated movies on the same date - but hey, what can you do.

Anyway, most nowadays would shrug off such a movie as a 'sequel', stereotyping it as, automatically, being a cheap repeat of the first with the same boring characters and lack of an exciting storyline. However, Prince Caspian, I am glad to say, lived up to the great standards that The Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe had set, all from the great minds of C.S Lewis.

I was, at first, not looking forward to having to put up with another 2 and a half hours of those annoying and hyperactive English children who were supposedly kings and queens - but the characters of Susan, Peter, Edmund and Lucy had matured far beyond their years in the movie, with minds like adults but the energy and creativity of children. They had to be forced to go through puberty twice - when being adults in Narnia but being returned back to the normal world in the previous movie - so I guess that special kind of hell does things to you. xDD

Overall, a fantastic movie. It was, if I dare say, much better than the first movie - as I actually had a good idea of what was going on, with the previous movie having to waste precious minutes going over the basic story of Narnia that viewers could have picked up if they had read the books. The plotline was a great twist, with Narnia, instead of being a wonderland where talking animals roam free, being a darkened place with humans ridding of all Narnians - much like the Jewish Holocaust.

The film took a darker twist with much more ferocity with the characters, featuring 2 spectacular war scenes that were done with absolute creativity, not soldiers blindly attacking eachother for the viewer's enjoyment. They mixed with the scenery, each war side with creative plans to overthrow the other - with a great event being that the Narnians travelled underground to throttle the army above them, leading to an exciting series of events. The film makers never failed in action or anything of the sorts - fantastic all the way through, with some romance psychological development for the older viewers - as well as the incredibly good-looking Prince Caspian. Altogether now girls: *dreamy sigh*. xDD

I give Prince Caspian a 5 out of 5 Pokeballs, thanks to the great dark plotline, development of characters and astounding special effects.

Old 06-14-2008, 07:20 AM
Sixto Offline
Sofa King Cool

Incredible Hulk

Wow. The ending fight; wow. I don't know how I can talk about the movie without giving something away.

The movie was real good, storyline, everything. The build up was good. Most beginnings can be a drag, but it you pay attention you won't be focusing so much on trying not to be bored. :p

While at the movie, something happened that has never happened before, the movie suddenly stopped. Of course drama, I almost got into a fight and the riff raff and what not. Either way, it was the first 15 minutes, which was good since they played the movie from the beginning. Turned out well cause I got to hear a part I didn't listen to the first time around.

The effects were great, Hulk almost looked real. Liv Tyler was actually fitting in this. Great lips and what a body *drool*, but she was plain in some parts. Edward Norton was great for the part, you got the sense he was meant for the role. [/cheesy]

Anyway, way better than the first and a lot more action. Listen for the great theme song everyone loves and the unforgettable trademark line "Hulk Smash!" which didn't sound as korny as I thought it would be. Another thing to look for at the end; a familiar metal friend. *hint* Also, don't bother staying for the credits, nothing happens. I just saved you 6 minutes of white on black words. You're welcome! :p

Overall, I give the Mr. Green 4 Pokeballs out of 5.

Last edited by Sixto; 06-14-2008 at 07:38 AM.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:35 AM
The Maple Syrup Baptist Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to The Maple Syrup Baptist Send a message via MSN to The Maple Syrup Baptist

Kung Fu Panda

"Kung Fu Pana", starring Jack Black as the title's namesake and various other actors/actresses you wouldn't expect (Dustin Hoffman and Angelina Jolie to name two; now guess their roles!), is a charming underdog tale about breaking away from the generation-inherited family business. Sounds original, no?

But what separates this flick, besides the terrific CG animation, is the setting of China. The atmosphere, the music, the architecture, it all adds up to an enthralling visual delight. Asian martial arts films, especially modern ones like "Hero" and "Curse Of The Golden Flower", are known for their immaculate artistic approach, and although "Kung Fu Panda" is Comedy first and asian-art second, the incredible attention to detail shines through. The gentle ponds, the muted colors, the tranquil sky; some parts of this movie are such a delight that you feel like you could meditate while watching it. This really does separate it from the growing trend of CG animation flicks. And admittedly, I'm a bit of a sucker for asian martial arts movies (the artsy ones anyway). But worry none, I cast aside all bias for my reviews.

The writing is simple, funny, and at times borders on genius. Your sides won't hurt, but you'll get laughs and a few unexpectedly deep lines to remember. Overall, it's still another underdog movie, but the approach and visual concept allow it to rise above the pack.

Jack Black is, once again, the star. He makes the character and it's hard to imagine him not being here. In fact, his presence shines right through so much (look for a key word from his other films during the final fight) that I'm convinced he helped pen the script... IMDB, here I come.

There are faults, though. The other characters aren't as fleshed out as they could be, the final fight is a bit underwhelming, and everything seems to move a bit too fast; cutting the fat is nice, but moments of stillness can sometimes make a movie. Plus, it's all a bit predictable. Still, these aren't killers and a good time is still to be had.

Overall, "Kung Fu Panda" will give you mostly everything you'd expect and a little more. In this case, that's definitely not a bad thing.

3 1/2 out of 5 Pokeballs.

Last edited by The Maple Syrup Baptist; 07-01-2008 at 03:44 PM.