Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:07 PM
Fire Away Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Default Re: Nothin' but a G thang.

I don't see how I missed the point when you failed to explain that was what you meant at all, but okay.

Hi

Old 05-08-2008, 09:13 PM
fullmetal Offline

Send a message via AIM to fullmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine View Post
Someone needs to study up on the situation in Africa. Many of them don't have a family, are raped, and many children are killed. And kids in the ghetto have a parent to take care of them. They're not homeless if they live in the ghetto. If the parents neglect them, that's a different story. But again, it's easy to just pay attention in school and stay away from drug dealing so that you can avoid the same fate as your parents. Selling drugs isn't something you just get sucked into, it's a choice that people make with their own free will.
Actually I have to tell you the truth. Now what part of Africa are you talking about? Only certain nations in Africa have the struggles and problems that you focused on.

Yeah some people have no choice but to drug deal or prostitution. You might be able to pay attention in school, but what if people won't hire you because of where you're from? Then you're screwed, thats why people end up like that. Some people its a choice, but to some people its something have to do.

And I don't know if you saw the 1st post but I mentioned majority of the songs written by 90's rappers were about their struggles, I didn't say all.

And I wouldn't mind to know what you listen to really.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:36 PM
Finglonger Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Finglonger

Quote:
Apparently, success today is measured by how many records you can sell to 13 year olds.

I've looked deep into the underground for good rap, and it's nearly impossible to find. Occasionally rappers use good topics for their poetry, but a lot of their music is still a simple beat pattern repeated for four minutes. That isn't talent and it is no more art than a monkey slinging its waste on a wall. If they'd at least learn the drums I'd be okay with it being called music, but most of them hardly even create their own beats.
I couldn't agree more, A lot of stuff nowadays is very generic. It's mass produced garbage, and you have to sift through a lot of refuse to find a gem

have you looked into any British rappers? Ive grown quite fond of this guy the streets, it's a lot more meaningful than most of the crap around today. To me though its more about the poetry, less about knowing how to play the drums or any instrument. A beautiful singer, a good lyricist, a poet....thats just as musical to me

And yes @ fire away tupac was a brilliant lyricist, and an intelligent guy. Sure he wrote songs about violence, drug culture, gangs etc. But that was reality in America then and now.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:42 PM
Lati-Chan Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via MSN to Lati-Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finglonger View Post
Earlier rap music Tupac, biggie(to some extent), NWA, wu tang clan, bone thugs N harmony produced some great poetry, great stuff...but nowadays most of the mainstream stuff is kind of garbage, there are still some artists who are producing good stuff but its overshadowed by a lot of the generic stuff.

Though I guess the same can be said about any genre compare good Charlotte/Avril Lavigne to the clash or the sex pistols they all say theyre punk but well not really. Compare generic rock bands like nickleback to amazing bands like Led Zeppelin. Its not just rap and hip hop there are plenty examples of other genres of music going stale. I think that if you really looked you could still find amazing rappers who still perpetuate an art form, just like you can still find good rock, grunge and punk
^ I agree with all that. :o Tupac is the reason I still listen to rap, his songs make a point; hidden or not. His lyrics are incredibly and he writes them himself. (he's dead though ;;)

URPG | VPP | Credit | Starry.Graphix

<3 Paired with FlameRyushin <3

Old 05-08-2008, 10:47 PM
spartan117 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to spartan117

I actually listen to some mainstream rap/r&b. I dont care what people say but where I live most things at least for teens are influenced by hip hop. I think where you grow up matters a lot to what you will be like and what styles of clothing and music you like. But my favorite rappers right now are mostly Eminem and Lil Wayne. Soulja Boy's Crank Dat was like extremely popular where I live but when I finally learned the dance it wasnt as popular anymore. xD
My URPG Stats
MyBio

If you want a free http://www.lockerz.com/ please PM me with your email.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:59 PM
Seawolf Offline
I has a stik

Send a message via AIM to Seawolf

Quote:
I couldn't agree more, A lot of stuff nowadays is very generic. It's mass produced garbage, and you have to sift through a lot of refuse to find a gem
Quoted for truth.

It's why I don't really listen to the radio anymore.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:06 PM
Raine Offline

Send a message via AIM to Raine Send a message via Yahoo to Raine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Away View Post
I don't see how I missed the point when you failed to explain that was what you meant at all, but okay.
I thought it was pretty self explanatory. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
Actually I have to tell you the truth. Now what part of Africa are you talking about? Only certain nations in Africa have the struggles and problems that you focused on.

Yeah some people have no choice but to drug deal or prostitution. You might be able to pay attention in school, but what if people won't hire you because of where you're from? Then you're screwed, thats why people end up like that. Some people its a choice, but to some people its something have to do.

And I don't know if you saw the 1st post but I mentioned majority of the songs written by 90's rappers were about their struggles, I didn't say all.

And I wouldn't mind to know what you listen to really.

I know only certain nations do--those were the ones my friend was talking about. I thought for a second you actually didn't know anything about what was going on in Africa. xD Thank God I was wrong and you're more educated than that.

Jobs in restaurants will hire just about anyone, and it isn't very difficult to get a job in one. If I were in such a situation (and I've never even heard of someone who was) I'd save up for a while until I could move to a different state and get a job there.

I don't listen to rap anymore, I've gotten tired of the repetitiveness of the music, but when I did listen to rap it was mostly bands (rather than single artists) such as Wu Tang Clan and Jurassic 5. Mostly I listen to heavy metal and rock 'n' roll, today.

Quote:
have you looked into any British rappers? Ive grown quite fond of this guy the streets, it's a lot more meaningful than most of the crap around today. To me though its more about the poetry, less about knowing how to play the drums or any instrument. A beautiful singer, a good lyricist, a poet....thats just as musical to me
I have not looked into any British rappers very thoroughly, but I've heard some of it and it seems much more intelligent. I'll agree with your opinion on a beautiful singer being musical, and I do value good lyrics and poetic talent, but we have a difference in taste as far as music goes on the last two. If I wanted poetry I'd much sooner read Edgar Allen Poe's Raven. :3

But that's just me. :]

Last edited by Raine; 05-08-2008 at 11:09 PM.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:37 PM
BlakePOL Offline

Well I'm going to make a quick comment on the history of fads. During Roman Times, when they invented the print and press (a old primitave book writer) most of the book companies writing by hand became jealous (thus starting the fad era) and inventions came along to see who had the best items or things, then with those things came more problems. For Example, " I invented lightbulbs! ", "Great! Can you make a lamp to put them in?" "Can you make a table to stand it on?" "Can you make a table/wood cleaner?" "Can you make a car cleaner?" " Can you make a Ferrari?" And now here we are now with Rap. Not all rap is bad. I personally enjoyed These songs in my younger years, Im 13 now. While new songs came out, I noticed that the songs where just about the artist " Bragging " and acting " Cool " but in realife they arent. They cant make their own songs and sooner or later they wont make anymore because they only write about crap, anyways Rap culture is dieing and is more of hip hop. R&B is nice, I enjoy Alicia Keys, she is very talented along with Tupac which explains why he got shot, JEALOUSY ,
Gangs too. We are just Human and are going to have to learn to be Humans.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:32 AM
Finglonger Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Finglonger

Hate to burst your bubble but the romans didn't have any such thing as the printing press, the closest thing they had was a non-printing transportable type that they used to create lettering on relief walls and other public works projects. Europe didn't get a printing press until Gutenberg. But prior to Gutenberg, Europe did not enjoy manuscripts produced by mechanization

Also your post on fads pretty much made no sense to me. Now if you're saying that technological development mirrors development in the arts in which thing compound upon each other I might see where you're going but still don't agree with it.Music is reactionary to social developments, to earlier musical leanings, to art...everything. The rap of nowadays might be a fad sure, but it didn't come originate from one

Last edited by Finglonger; 05-11-2008 at 04:44 AM.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:53 AM
ChthonicAustrian Offline
Elite Trainer

It's just one of those things where leisure and your work life seem to clash, if you ask me.

Rap artists, or, as I should say, decent rap artists sing about the hardships of life and growing up in a poor community/a ghetto. Most notably, Eminem.

Now, this is where I'm afraid that I may have to start disagreeing.

Eminem sings about the hardships of life - with Mockingbird, Like Toy Soldiers, and even Lose Yourself.

Now, what about some of Eminem's more carefree songs? Fack, Without Me, The Real Slim Shady, etc.

The same artists - different songs. If you were to hear Fack on the radio (which I really doubt you would), and you didn't know who Eminem was, then I'd guarantee you that you would immediately judge him as a crotch-grabbing, platinum/bling-bling loving egotistic prick. Little would you actually think of this man growing up a black community, dealing with a drug-addict mother and an abusive step-father.

If you ask me, a rap artist is fine by me as long as they have a grip on reality and a sense of what truly does make a good song. Like Soulja Boy, as said though, that poor kid is such a low-life kid with little/no sense of how a ghetto life is, that he couldn't rap about life if he even wanted to. He's too immature for such a genre.

It's a difficult, and long concept to discuss, and seeing as it's almost 1 in the morning now, I'm not going to get too deep with it.

I love rap and rap artists, as long as they actually know how the **** a ghetto life is.

I hate rap and rap artists, if the artist is some disrespectful poser who hasn't as much as seen Detroit, New York, or parts of L.A., yet goes around grabbing his crotch and acting like he grew up on 8 Mile.

URPG Stats; Unavailable
Old 05-12-2008, 06:38 AM
Da Kid J3 Offline

Quote:
I've looked deep into the underground for good rap, and it's nearly impossible to find..
You obvisouly have'nt looked very hard.Have you ever heard of Nas?One of the greatest Raper's out thier yet unreconized.Im on the hip hop side personally i can't stand heavy death metal punks its just dumb now with that said (ill get flamed im sure) there are a lot of retarted rap songs out thier yahh trick yahh by soulja boy on the top 5 list even tho i like the beat ^^,But why alot of negitive rep is thrown on rap and hip hop is becuse they have lost sight of what rap came form.Back in the 90's it was the best of the best Ice Cube,Tupac,biggie.Back then it was about the struggle makin it to the top "I come form nothin".Now rap has turn into just whos got more hoes,money and cars Paul wall is a good example (Although i love his music) he just sings about how much money he gots and how many cars he has.My preference is rap overall although i can't stand rock anymore back in the day it was good with Led zep,jimmy hendrix,ect,Back then it was good now its just yell death into the mic as loud as you can and turn the speakers on max.But really my point is that all music not just rap get worse as time goes on.Music is a cultral thing it refelcts in todays socity right now (as you can see) well now im done said all i got to say : )

(Okay i got my fire suit on im ready for the flaming)

Its the thought that counts
Old 05-14-2008, 03:28 AM
CHIMCHAR13 Offline
Experienced Trainer

That's my favorite genre. I consider rock and pop a minority on my ipod.

If you listen to rock at my school you're automatically categorized into being a bro, emo, punk, or skater which sucks because there are no "normal" kids that listen to rock. Everybody whose "normal" here listens to hip-hop. You could go up to anyone and say, "so how about Low?" and they'd automatically know what you're talking about.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:48 PM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy

I listen to J-Pop. So what? What are you trying to prove here with that 'in my school' statement?

Today's songs in general are rather loaded with death and rape and sex and drugs, if not break ups and all. Sure it's nice to listen to some crap once in a while, but seriously now...What I want to know is: What happened to all the songs talking about courage, love, virtue that were so full of meaning for so many people?

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 05-16-2008, 07:48 PM
Frozen_in_Time Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
So what are your thoughts about this centuries hip-hop/R&B/Rap music?

I personally highly dislike it. Not just because it sounds like crap, but what the songs are about half the time (sex/women/money). I'm not saying that I hate rap, its just "this centuries" rap culture that bothers me.

As I said before I do enjoy rap such as 90's hip hop/rap. Artists like NWA, Public Enemy, Run DMC, even Snoop Dog. Majority of their music was about the struggles of growing up and in the "ghetto/hood" and how it is really tough. Some songs were about women and drugs and such, but not all of it. For example Soulja boy or whatever, all his songs are disgusting and downright wrong. Really a bad example for younger teens and children. But the song "fight the power" by Public Enemy really is something to listen too. It has a meaning, and they also wrote it, they didn't pay someone to write it for them.

Well theres my rant :P
I agree too, it's pointless cra stuff about nonsese!
Well, I will never understand it...
Old 05-17-2008, 11:09 PM
Soda Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Soda Send a message via MSN to Soda Send a message via Yahoo to Soda

I like it, Rihanna's an Pop/R&B singer and nothing you say will ever unattatch me from her!

CHIMCHAR13, Low is so old =/, to be honest, I listen to Hip-Hop rather than rap, but I do have a lot of Rap songs on my Ipod, Sean Kingston, Ray J, Flo Rida, there all awesome, and u guys are just mad cuz they got Women and Sex and you don't,urjust nerds who have no taste, I'm not trying to put down other genres, I have pretty much every genre imaginable on my Ipod, you know, I listen to Three Days Grace and Britney Spears, also Carrie Underwood.

Don't hate cause her and her music are better than you =P