Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:44 AM
fullmetal Offline

Send a message via AIM to fullmetal
Default Nothin' but a G thang.

So what are your thoughts about this centuries hip-hop/R&B/Rap music?

I personally highly dislike it. Not just because it sounds like crap, but what the songs are about half the time (sex/women/money). I'm not saying that I hate rap, its just "this centuries" rap culture that bothers me.

As I said before I do enjoy rap such as 90's hip hop/rap. Artists like NWA, Public Enemy, Run DMC, even Snoop Dog. Majority of their music was about the struggles of growing up and in the "ghetto/hood" and how it is really tough. Some songs were about women and drugs and such, but not all of it. For example Soulja boy or whatever, all his songs are disgusting and downright wrong. Really a bad example for younger teens and children. But the song "fight the power" by Public Enemy really is something to listen too. It has a meaning, and they also wrote it, they didn't pay someone to write it for them.

Well theres my rant :P
Old 05-08-2008, 12:49 AM
Nitrous Oxide Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Nitrous Oxide Send a message via MSN to Nitrous Oxide
Default Re: Nothin' but a G thang.

I agree 100%. It's a disgrace to our culture, and it's the reason why I never listened to rap or anything. The lyrics are nothing but trash.

Last edited by Nitrous Oxide; 05-08-2008 at 12:52 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:50 AM
The Maple Syrup Baptist Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to The Maple Syrup Baptist Send a message via MSN to The Maple Syrup Baptist

I've never quite liked Rap/R&B, but the last few years, radio has been spewing nothing but flaming crap (with the occasional Staind and Daughtry to save me).

The thing about Rap, it's all about "the game". It's all about money. There's no soul in it anymore... Just rich idiots who hire talented songwriters to write catchy music and then spit out vulger rhymes that make your intelligence feel degraded. Half the time they're mispronouncing and slurring words, and using stupid ghetto phrases (holla back, word, my boo, etc.), and this leads to a new generation of uneducated, stupid children who can't talk properly because sounding like a rich moron is what's in.

But there is one saving grace - Ludacris. He is funny, very funny at times. I have actually laughed out loud for a minute or 2 straight from some of his rhymes. He's much more creative than the rest.

Last edited by The Maple Syrup Baptist; 05-08-2008 at 12:54 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:45 AM
Sigma_ Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Sigma_

People like it and there is nothing you can do to stop it. You can't prove scientifically that an art is bad. Learn to accept it. Most of the songs won't last anyways. This can be said about all music in general. And if the music influences negative behavior, it is not the artist's fault. It is the parent's and/or kid's fault for letting themselves let it control them.

Last edited by Sigma_; 05-08-2008 at 02:49 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:55 AM
Pojo Offline
Experienced Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma_ View Post
People like it and there is nothing you can do to stop it. You can't prove scientifically that an art is bad. Learn to accept it. Most of the songs won't last anyways. This can be said about all music in general. And if the music influences negative behavior, it is not the artist's fault. It is the parent's and/or kid's fault for letting themselves let it control them.
The songs won't last, but they will soon be replaced with even crappier songs.

Luckily where I live I only have to here this crap about 1 in 10 times. Normally I hear 1980's-1990's music.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:46 AM
DaRkUmBrEoN Offline
M.D.

Send a message via AIM to DaRkUmBrEoN Send a message via Yahoo to DaRkUmBrEoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megumi View Post
It's not my cup of tea, but I can appreciate that it's an art form, no matter how strange it is. Then again, most music that plays on the radio really doesn't appeal to me.

However, I agree with the Soulja Boy comment. If he's allowed to keep making music, I will get a gun and kill myself.
Don't do that, Meg. :( Always point the barrel outwards.

But yea, urban music has degraded down to the point that it's become generic to write about a select few topics. But is pop music so different? All I hear are songs/ballads about love, hope, friends and stuff like that, though I don't see people massively hating that genre. The artists, yea, but that's a different matter.

It's just that blues - the grandpa of urban - never had that much variation in content. It was always the same kind of message, but the lyrics, music, performance and overall appeal were extremely different. That's why even till this day, blues is so wildly liked. Same goes with jazz and the old 'rhytm & blues'.

Don't forget that majority of these artists grew up in extremely capitalistic environments. Either they go with the flow and are sure of their steady flow of cash, or they go against the mainstream and risk being ignored. Simple choice, neh?

Above are mainly the reason why I'm more interested in Jmusic. Along with the occasional Kmusic, it's a welcome relieve from what I hear on the radio... If I even turn it on.

-]DU[-

Near a tree by a river, there's a hole in the ground.
Where an old man of Aran goes around and around
Old 05-08-2008, 06:12 AM
Maleficent Offline

Send a message via AIM to Maleficent Send a message via MSN to Maleficent Send a message via Skype™ to Maleficent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
So what are your thoughts about this centuries hip-hop/R&B/Rap music?

I personally highly dislike it. Not just because it sounds like crap, but what the songs are about half the time (sex/women/money). I'm not saying that I hate rap, its just "this centuries" rap culture that bothers me.

As I said before I do enjoy rap such as 90's hip hop/rap. Artists like NWA, Public Enemy, Run DMC, even Snoop Dog. Majority of their music was about the struggles of growing up and in the "ghetto/hood" and how it is really tough. Some songs were about women and drugs and such, but not all of it. For example Soulja boy or whatever, all his songs are disgusting and downright wrong. Really a bad example for younger teens and children. But the song "fight the power" by Public Enemy really is something to listen too. It has a meaning, and they also wrote it, they didn't pay someone to write it for them.

Well theres my rant :P
You described Soulja Boy exactly.

You are forgetting 50 Cent and Ayo Technology.
That was disgusting.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:15 AM
Raine Offline

Send a message via AIM to Raine Send a message via Yahoo to Raine

Quote:

Artists like NWA, Public Enemy, Run DMC, even Snoop Dog. Majority of their music was about the struggles of growing up and in the "ghetto/hood" and how it is really tough.
Most of those artists, especially Snoop Dogg, wrote about sex, drugs, and murder. I never heard Run DMC, but all of the others I've heard and hate.

And lyrics about the struggles of growing up in a slum...that's just a terrible topic unless it's political (and most rappers aren't intelligent enough to engage in politics). I was talking to a friend and he made a comment that "People in Africa had it worse than you. People in India had it worse than you. Just because you grew up in a ghetto, it doesn't mean anything".

Lyrics aren't the focal point of music, anyways, that's poetry. If you want to make poetry write a book. Otherwise, quit abusing teenagers like you do your prostitute and quit making terrible music that anyone with a few months of practice in a computer program could make.

DROP THE BEAT, DAWG *and walks out*
Old 05-08-2008, 06:31 AM
Dancing Mad Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Dancing Mad

This is the reason why I leason to Indie Rap. Its not all sex, drugs, and women.

"The only pace is suicide pace, and every day is a good day to die."
- Steve Prefontaine
Old 05-08-2008, 07:01 AM
Finglonger Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Finglonger

Earlier rap music Tupac, biggie(to some extent), NWA, wu tang clan, bone thugs N harmony produced some great poetry, great stuff...but nowadays most of the mainstream stuff is kind of garbage, there are still some artists who are producing good stuff but its overshadowed by a lot of the generic stuff.

Though I guess the same can be said about any genre compare good Charlotte/Avril Lavigne to the clash or the sex pistols they all say theyre punk but well not really. Compare generic rock bands like nickleback to amazing bands like Led Zeppelin. Its not just rap and hip hop there are plenty examples of other genres of music going stale. I think that if you really looked you could still find amazing rappers who still perpetuate an art form, just like you can still find good rock, grunge and punk
Old 05-08-2008, 07:19 AM
Fire Away Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finglonger View Post
Earlier rap music Tupac, biggie(to some extent), NWA, wu tang clan, bone thugs N harmony produced some great poetry, great stuff...but nowadays most of the mainstream stuff is kind of garbage, there are still some artists who are producing good stuff but its overshadowed by a lot of the generic stuff.

Though I guess the same can be said about any genre compare good Charlotte/Avril Lavigne to the clash or the sex pistols they all say theyre punk but well not really. Compare generic rock bands like nickleback to amazing bands like Led Zeppelin. Its not just rap and hip hop there are plenty examples of other genres of music going stale. I think that if you really looked you could still find amazing rappers who still perpetuate an art form, just like you can still find good rock, grunge and punk
I agree with this. Tupac was an amazing lyricist and a very talented man. If that's not real, good music, then I don't know what is.

Quote:
"People in Africa had it worse than you. People in India had it worse than you. Just because you grew up in a ghetto, it doesn't mean anything".
I hate this argument. It's like having your entire family die in a car crash and being told "well at least you don't live in Africa". Someone will always have worse problems than you, it doesn't mean that the ones you have don't mean anything.

Hi

Old 05-08-2008, 12:56 PM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Away View Post
I agree with this. Tupac was an amazing lyricist and a very talented man. If that's not real, good music, then I don't know what is.

I hate this argument. It's like having your entire family die in a car crash and being told "well at least you don't live in Africa". Someone will always have worse problems than you, it doesn't mean that the ones you have don't mean anything.
Quoted for truth.

I stopped listening to all the Chinese and English songs that everyone my end listens to and just spam anime songs all the way. Rawr.

Recently everyone's listening to this rap song about prostitution...It's so...uncouth. Eminem is funnier, at the very least. The older songs, since I stopped listening to any language I knew 4 years ago.

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 05-08-2008, 07:54 PM
fullmetal Offline

Send a message via AIM to fullmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine View Post
People in Africa had it worse than you. People in India had it worse than you. Just because you grew up in a ghetto, it doesn't mean anything".

Actually I think I rather live in Africa with a family than grow up with no family, and have to live off the streets and lower myself down to drug dealing just to make it bill to bill.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:04 PM
Wisp Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via MSN to Wisp

I like the dance to Soulja boy xD I learnt it and danced with my mates at the front of assembly.

ANYWAYS;; I've never liked Rap and/or R&B. I mean Rihannas okay, but thats it.
Its like "Me iz making mad luv to de women, dey are wiv mehh."
Its really, really pointless.

Everyone at our school loves rap and R&B, you can't walk down one corridor without some crap being pumped out of someones phone.
Rock, Heavy metal and screamo all the way.

dA × vpp × urpg × twitter × gamertag: IchigoTako × MALEFICENT♥
Old 05-08-2008, 09:08 PM
Raine Offline

Send a message via AIM to Raine Send a message via Yahoo to Raine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finglonger View Post
Apparently, success today is measured by how many records you can sell to 13 year olds.

I've looked deep into the underground for good rap, and it's nearly impossible to find. Occasionally rappers use good topics for their poetry, but a lot of their music is still a simple beat pattern repeated for four minutes. That isn't talent and it is no more art than a monkey slinging its waste on a wall. If they'd at least learn the drums I'd be okay with it being called music, but most of them hardly even create their own beats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Away View Post

Mozart and Beethoven was real, good music. Even expert piano players today struggle to perfectly play the music that they've already created.

Anyways, Tupac had some quality lyrics, but he still wrote a ton of songs about murder, fighting, how "good" he was, and sex. Songs like Static for example.

You completely missed the point of that argument. The point was that it isn't hard to live in the ghetto, and I know because I've lived there before. Dodging drugs and staying in school isn't as hard as rappers make it seem. :/

Quote:

Actually I think I rather live in Africa with a family than grow up with no family, and have to live off the streets and lower myself down to drug dealing just to make it bill to bill.
Someone needs to study up on the situation in Africa. Many of them don't have a family, are raped, and many children are killed. And kids in the ghetto have a parent to take care of them. They're not homeless if they live in the ghetto. If the parents neglect them, that's a different story. But again, it's easy to just pay attention in school and stay away from drug dealing so that you can avoid the same fate as your parents. Selling drugs isn't something you just get sucked into, it's a choice that people make with their own free will.

Last edited by Raine; 05-08-2008 at 09:11 PM.