Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing » Author's Corner

Author's Corner Share your ideas with other members and come here for helpful writing tips.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:25 AM
Gem N Ems Offline
Kage no Hikari.

Send a message via AIM to Gem N Ems Send a message via MSN to Gem N Ems Send a message via Skype™ to Gem N Ems
Default Re: FF Tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange_Flaaffy View Post
I know they do, its what makes the forums go round :)...
I just can't help poking my nose into writing style topics, I'm a stubborn flaaffy like that :3
Well I'm sure it's not always that bad to be stubborn.

I mean, I hope not, because I can be really stubborn, lol.

Reminds me of the first time Ash got Pikachu...ah remembrance...

Team StormRiders is BACK. Read it here!
.......................--> art duo with: Xanthe | bff: k_pop |
Links
Old 04-26-2008, 07:23 PM
Kendo Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Kendo

My tip on description: Don't go overboard, but don't do it too little.
EXAMPLE:

"Brendan and May walked on the bridge."

ERROR! Too little description.

"The two teammates known as Brendan and May had just walked through Route 57, and were walking very briskly across the orange bridge, which sparkled in the sunlight like fire."

ERROR! Too much description. Try something like this:

"Brendan and May had just walked through Route 57, and were now crossing the orange bridge."

And when you're submitting your story as a post, double-check it. You never know what you may want to improve on or change.
EXAMPLE (from my fic's prologue, first draft and final draft):

"As the humans were overcome by greed and jealousy, they began to capture the legendaries!"

You may think this doesn't sound quite right for your fic, so why not change it to something like this?

"As the humans on earth were overcome by such feelings as greed and jealousy, they began to capture the legendaries!"

Even a little alteration like that can alter your fic, for the better or for the worse. You decide!
IT'S NOT VALENTINE'S DAY.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:36 PM
Sceptile Frost Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Sceptile Frost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendo View Post
My tip on description: Don't go overboard, but don't do it too little.
EXAMPLE:

"Brendan and May walked on the bridge."

ERROR! Too little description.

"The two teammates known as Brendan and May had just walked through Route 57, and were walking very briskly across the orange bridge, which sparkled in the sunlight like fire."

ERROR! Too much description. Try something like this:

"Brendan and May had just walked through Route 57, and were now crossing the orange bridge."
I would actually say that the third one seems the most off to me. The first one makes sense if you're just advancing the story, whilst if you're trying to build up a serene or romantic theme the second would be better.

Describing isn't a science. It's more of an art. It depends on your writing style and what you are describing. Some people like it drenched in description (ala The Scarlet Letter), while others prefer to be imagining most of the story. There is no perfect amount.

In my opinion, you want to describe everything that is necessary, and then a little more on top of that to deepen your scenes. You want to use your description as a tool to set the mood, advance the plot, characterize. For example, if you're in a characters room or maybe even a room in the PC on their journey, what they have most visible (or set out in the second case) can reflect their character. Likewise, a paragraph or two of say, Brendan and May walking along the pier arm and arm, admiring the beautiful setting, could set the mood.

Obviously if you're describing a key item to the plot (an orb or ring or master ball or a legendary), you will want to go in depth. If it is that important, you want your readers to have a vivid image of it.

@Lone Houndoom: Or even better, have a third copy that you e-mail to yourself occasionally (or place on Google Docs or equivalent).
Old 04-28-2008, 08:54 PM
Kendo Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Kendo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceptile Frost View Post
I would actually say that the third one seems the most off to me. The first one makes sense if you're just advancing the story, whilst if you're trying to build up a serene or romantic theme the second would be better.

Describing isn't a science. It's more of an art. It depends on your writing style and what you are describing. Some people like it drenched in description (ala The Scarlet Letter), while others prefer to be imagining most of the story. There is no perfect amount.

In my opinion, you want to describe everything that is necessary, and then a little more on top of that to deepen your scenes. You want to use your description as a tool to set the mood, advance the plot, characterize. For example, if you're in a characters room or maybe even a room in the PC on their journey, what they have most visible (or set out in the second case) can reflect their character. Likewise, a paragraph or two of say, Brendan and May walking along the pier arm and arm, admiring the beautiful setting, could set the mood.

Obviously if you're describing a key item to the plot (an orb or ring or master ball or a legendary), you will want to go in depth. If it is that important, you want your readers to have a vivid image of it.
Good point.

CHANGE MY ADVICE!

NEW ADVICE ON DEESCRIPTION: Use a lot when necessary, use a little when necessary. But don't go overboard, and don't just say "They ate." unless it's a special case, like the end of a chapter or something. You should decide on how much description to apply to a sentence or a situation based on what it is, and how much the reader may know about it. For example:

"The Blopblorgs leaped onto the building, causing a gopdop-sized tremor to appear."

I know this is a rather silly example, but let's face it, who would know what a Blopblorg is!? Nor do we know exactly how large a gopdop is. This may be an appropriate time to add heavy detail and split a single sentence into multiple ones, unless these things were described earlier in the story. In that case, little or medium description is best.
IT'S NOT VALENTINE'S DAY.