Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Interactive Projects

Interactive Projects Post your latest ideas and work with others to create masterpieces to astound the world!

Old 05-05-2008, 02:13 AM
malucifer Offline

Default Re: Pokemon Online Game

Again thanks for the reply. So the issue at hand now. The flashing of graphics will happen occasionally and this is mainly due to the fact I dont have "preloading" in the demo right now which I am writing a function that makes my preloading better than normal load everything at once websites it will preload images when they are about to be needed(just something you dont have to worry about) but the flashing will dissapear once the game is mainstream. Second the camera style I used did stray the character from the middle yes, I did this for a reason if I had the map scrolling every step(which middle aligned characters cause) then the game would be taking a huge performance hit, Im all about performance and the flow of things. And as for the going in buildings and switching maps this is simply just going to come later, I programmed that map feature in about 30 hours time, so its not entirely complete but its close the rest is simple. And last the rhydon on the building is my admin character its not just an image its my actual character :) Thats it for now Ill try to make some things on the map better tonight (fluid movement etc) ....James

Also! If you logon while in a tile that is off the screen (bottom right,bottom left corners for example) the map will not start with you visible it starts on the top left view point this will be fixed as well. Ill just keep you posted.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:05 PM
Elrond Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Elrond

Me again, with a couple of questions.

1) At this time, do you have plans for the world map, towns, etc. in the works?

2) Can you give any more detailed information about how the game is going to be played, i.e. the objectives? In other words, is it going to be like Crater, where you move around a small screen finding wild Pokemon, or like Runescape (which is not a Pokemon game, I know), which has a large, detailed world with lots of interactivity between characters beside battling?

If you haven't created any solidified plans for gameplay concepts, I have a few ideas I'd be willing to share.

3) On that note, do you have a link to your forum yet?

Quote:
SotaOMG (10:05:46 PM): i think stunky is sexy
iamnotyou11 (10:05:54 PM): Soda stop being gay
supermonkey07@cox.net (10:06:03 PM): ironic statement?
<URPG>
I can probably take some grading requests now. But don't all rush me at once. :/

Last edited by Elrond; 05-05-2008 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:43 PM
malucifer Offline

Ahh all excellent questions! My goal for the world map is to conjoin all the areas created with the other maps while only loading the parts you walk near to lower bandwith/lag (Say its like walking on pokemon you walk near the next "zone" and you can see it coming into view with screen scrolling. But im not going to load the entire world upon logging in this would considerably lower the lag and computer requirements needed for such a large world. So basically its going to be one big map but split up into multiple maps ("OverWorld").

Now as for a GamePlay factor, the crater had..shall I say limited amounts of interaction(albeit still fun) I dont do things small, even tackling graphics/coding solo I still make things very very large. Having said that Ill lay out some examples of things that will be possible in the future.

1.) Survival Mode
[Players can enter a randomly generated survival mode in which you will take 1 "pet"(used for the sake of the game being converted to original content) and go through as many battles as you can. The player who makes it the farthest in a given week/month will be awarded prizes automatically (which will be announced during that weeks/months survival contest.)]

2.)Member Co-Interaction system
[Players will be able to "group" up to perform 2v2 3v3 and 4v4 battles versus other teams of the same number in tournament contests (also being awarded prizes for positions to be determined.) Along with tournaments the member "grouping" system will allow players to battle NPC's as well whom have multiple "pets". (There are other perks but they are being developed on paper right now.) And as a sneak peak feature, teams will be able to conquer "Boss Pets" together (whom are not going to be pushovers at all) this gives gameplay new levels as there are like any rpg out there going to be "rare" rewards for all accomplishments achieved.]

3.)Housing System
[Player will be able to purchase "map land" to build a foundation of their house/property. It will be a live building environment so you can place objects anywhere you want and will be able to decorate the entire environment.(Land areas will be hardcoded so no you cant overthrow entire maps, although there will be some features for map control later in the game..we wont get to that now.) Now the housing may seem cool and all but whats a house and land without some sort of in game value? The house will allow you to do a multitude of things, one being item/pet storage(common in most housing features.) There will be more house features being developed but not mentioned until finished(Surprise!) Now as for the land, think berries....lots of your own personal berries being self managed by "Gardening pets" so you will get supplies of berries for free.(Also will be more discussed later)]

4.)Player interaction in general
[Players will be able to practice battle with pokemon, for those of you who wish to just have fun battling. Also there will be duels, in which stats will be recorded for bragging rights.

5.)*Legendary Pet Event*
[At random times the plot and storyline will change automatically based on events that I the administrator create, one being sightings and forthcomings of "Legendary pets." The player you actually manages to catch the Legendary pet will be the only person to have control over it...yes there is only one legendary! (Here comes the kicker the Replication Ball I have created, which has a normal catchrate, will in fact duplicate Legendary Pet upon catching them! Albeit very slim chance it will be caught with a Replication Ball it will clone the legends!)]

6.) Auction system
[There will be an Item/Pet auction system implemented allowing automatic trading of pets/items(classic auction system)]

That is it for now as a few examples of the gameplay aspect, there will be more...much much more.

And as far as the forum goes no I do not, for one I have no time right now to maintain it and two I do not have a paid hosting account to accompany it (which I prefer not mitigating forums over to new servers.) So for the time being the friendly pokemonelite2000 crew is going to be the place for discussions for now, until I can get a forum up and moderated.

Thanks again for your wonderful input! Any more questions just throw em at me.
James...
Old 05-05-2008, 08:06 PM
Elrond Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

It's great to hear that you're going to be expanding the parameters of this game beyond what Crater was ever capable of (though it was fun, I'll admit that).

In the same grain as my previous questions, I also wanted to ask whether or not you had a World Map planned out in your mind or actually drawn out, and, if you did have any preliminary plans for how it was going to look, if you were planning on it being a certain size as far as the number of towns/routes go.

One of my self-proclaimed strengths is the creation of country maps (what you'd see if you opened up a Town Map in-game, in case you didn't catch my drift), and if you did have something planned, I might be able to put one together tonight and have it up tomorrow. If you didn't have anything planned at this time, I could show you one of the ideas I had floating around in my head last night (which I would also need to finish up before posting it).

Or am I getting way ahead of myself (and you, really) in the production process?

Quote:
<URPG>
I can probably take some grading requests now. But don't all rush me at once. :/
Old 05-05-2008, 08:57 PM
malucifer Offline

Well Yes I am getting ahead of myself, but the things I mentioned are going to be coded and are going to be coded with ease. Now as for the release date it's not going to be for a bit until an "alpha" stage will be out which the basic features will be in it [World Map,Catching Pets,dueling] The rest will be added shortly there after. My current phase Im in is not actually coding the fundamentals but im designing the layout of the game right now, where stuff goes etc this will speed my coding process up (alot of people code the backend of the entire game and throw the graphics in later, I personally dont follow this method)

As for now the mapping engine is not being worked on anymore until the battle basics and GUI are in, the map in its small entirety is sufficient enough to start on something else right now, the rest ("fluidness", and map transitioning) will be completed easily after the rest of the battle engine is complete.

And Im glad to hear that your specialty is World Map layout, as for an overall design I have yet to design that. Right now that map on the demo isnt even going to be in the game (as it should never be its really ugly.) I may need you to be the one to set it up for me. The plus-side of this is when I add map transitioning it will be easy to place newly created regions anywhere you want VIA entrance/exit parameters in the map editing admin page. So what Ill do is take your "world map" layout and write some code to dynamically generate additions to it based on new areas/zones added. Sure it sounds like alot of work, but honestly it is. That is what makes a quality game hard work and dedication. Now alot of these features wont be in the first release but that is what is going to make the game progressive, having the world progressive. If your game comes out with everything ever imaginable the players will be expecting an update after 5 months of gameplay, no matter what the game has. So for those waiting it wont be 5 years that you have to wait but it wont be 1 month either.

So Nerd pm me your ideas/sketches/info on your layout Ill let you know if I can easily incorporate it or if it will fit with the game. Thanks again for your help and questions.

I hope I answered all of them this time.

EDIT: Also for any others wishing to participate feel free to pm me Im willing to look at any positions right now. I also am trying to contact the guys who created Pokemon:Twilight and a few other respected scratch spriters out there to help, if we can get near 200 scratch "Non-Pokemon" It will make the game 300 times better. Shoot me some pm's.

Last edited by malucifer; 05-05-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:49 AM
jonsploder Offline

Sorry to burst your bubble (if thats it :P), but GameFortress does and wont care.

They are still working on PT, even if the next demo is LONG overdue. Proof: http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=327133

Also, pretty good work so far, you are battling alot of things I see. Great work so far, im pretty impressed. Keep it up for a few more months, and then there will (hopefully) be something to show. Remember as soon as you get to the first version being released with all the crucial things and online in it, its really easy from there.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:17 PM
malucifer Offline

Heh indeed jonsploder. Ill keep at it like you said the first release makes it easier from there. And I'm also sure that GF doesnt care either but it was worth a shot, Ill just have to wait to find a few talented spriters and see how it goes from there.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:48 PM
Elrond Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Unfortunately, I didn't get all the computer time I thought I would today, as I had forgotten that I had to work after school for a few hours, but my map is almost done. It's fairly simple, but here's the basic concept:

In the southernmost part, there is a large city called Pokemon Plaza (easily recognizable because it's large and yellow, and the name sounds a bit corny, I know). This would be the basic starting point for all new trainers and could also house many of the basic buildings you mentioned, such as an auction house and other features still in the making. I did away with the system of routes and took a bit of creative license with my map (the colors look absolutely horrid, though they wouldn't be there on the real map), instead dividing it into eight 'sectors' wiith distinctly different climates (such as dense forest, desert, mountains, etc.) and therefore, different Pokemon.

This system of 'sectors' would allow for more open-ended exploration, rather than the linear system of the mainstream games, and also for the housing/land buying system. The terrain could be designed so that there is closed-off land in different areas, which could be bought and 'developed' by trainers. Also, there would be eight towns scattered around the countryside, which would be home to gyms run by NPCs.

That's kind of the summation of my idea, but it brings me to yet another question. I wanted to know to what extent you were planning on putting NPCs in the game, such as in gyms (as I suggested), or to run other establishments.

And now, I wait on pins and needles for a reply. :)

Quote:
<URPG>
Old 05-06-2008, 11:25 PM
malucifer Offline

Well sir all I have to say is *WoW* seriously the effort your putting into the world mapping feature is great! And to no surprise I am going to use gym leaders (at least for the pokemon remake). Here is how the gym leaders are going to work.

1) Gym leaders will give out badges when defeated(Badges still to be determined.)
2)Im implementing a Gym Control feature allowing players that beat the gym to become the leader..yes thats right...But the restrictions are going to be as follows.

2a)Players will not be able to "manually defend" their title, yes this does suck but it would be impossible to have the gym leader always defend their title, IE(Login restrictions, always being pestered while trying to just play the game etc etc) BUT the team they win the gym with will be controlled with my AI script (It will be almost perfect so to beat them you would have to battle perfectly and have the correct pets to do so as well.) This gives a better Gym Leader situation than a generic set of Gym Leaders I think as well as a diversity and actually making the gym harder instead of being easy like all the pokemon games.

2b)Players will have Gym Leadership rankings for bragging rights/extra features(Algorithm to be determined at a later time.)

2c)And yes you still need to beat the Gyms to access certain 'Zones' via skills learned from badges etc.

3)And last the NPC's will be diverse as well. For one the Legendary sighting events, certain NPC's are ..Ill put this lightly here... Stupid, they will lead you in the wrong direction etc and others will be smarter and lead you straight to the location of the legendaries. Secondly they will act just like in the pokemon games (You must battle them if they see type of thing.) This will be involved in the story line a little more than traditional "Hey you just have to beat me because I said so type of thing" Npcs will be like a traditional world where they matter for something.

Again hope I answered the questions and look forward to your Mapping Design. (Take your time, life has its hinders as I know this as well.)

Battle Engine Pic

Last edited by malucifer; 05-07-2008 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Added Link to Battle Engine Layout Pic
Old 05-07-2008, 06:54 PM
malucifer Offline

Well time for another UPDATE!

I have worked on the battle engine some and added a fun AND useful feature as well. Come check out the early alpha phased battle engine.

Battle Engine Demo v1

As of right now its not configured for resolutions under 1024x768 so that means if your using 800x600 Im sorry for right now, working on that layout shortly. But anyone over 800x600 resolution will enjoy this.

Yes there are what you would call "bugs" but they aren't really bugs, Ill exlpain. The battle engine allows you to switch out pokemon simply by dragging the image (from the right hand side) onto the screen(awsome!) as of right now all it does is show the power and layout of the script, the names on the screen will NOT change I know this, it is not a bug I just didnt code it yet. Its going to constantly say Gyarados, dont worry it will all be dynamic once finished. But check out the auto pokemon change feature and let me know if you like it. Responses are very much appreciated.

(You also dont have to log in or anything to view this demo. Its purely straight forward just grab a pokemon and drag it onto the game screen)

Also Im working on spriting my own battle backgrounds right now as well, if anyone wants to contribute any Pm me.

James...
Old 05-07-2008, 08:51 PM
Elrond Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

I tried out the new battle demo. I like the work you did with the background; it looks really great. The only things I noticed (other than the ones you mentioned), were A) that the screen seems squooshed inside the square-shaped box (it might just be my screen, I dunno; but I think my monitor has the right resolution), and B) the font seemed out of place in the battle screen.

Also, I'm assuming that you weren't actually supposed to be able to battle, right? The auto-change feature does seem pretty cool, too, though you might consider fixing up the sprites so they don't have that unsightly blue background. lol.

Lastly, I've got my map done, but I've got to transfer it from my laptop onto this computer, and... my flash drive is MIA. So I'll have to borrow my dad's, which shouldn't be a problem, except that I don't know where that is, either...

EDIT: I was reading one of your earlier posts again, and I noticed that you said you had already created a beta map that you didn't plan on using in the final game. I could take that later on and put a smaller version on my World Map, and you could save the entire layout (though perhaps a simpler version) as a sort of Tutorial Island. That way, all that work wouldn't go to waste, and it might serve a useful function. Just a suggestion, but it might be something to consider.

Quote:
<URPG>

Last edited by Elrond; 05-07-2008 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:00 PM
malucifer Offline

Blue background eh? They are supposed to be transparent. Hmmm what browser are you using (Internet explorer, firefox,opera..etc?) also resolution size? I may have to convert everything to gif format (which im sure Im going to have to because IE is stupid sometimes) And yes it does looked squashed in their my quick message window and actoins screen window were thrown in there just to give the position layout a more fulfilling look. They layout is definitely going to change, not all of it but the crap quality images. Thanks again let me know ...

Mind you I am coding this from a 1440x900 resolution so I may get lower resolutions incorrectly positioned. Ill work that out later I want to finish basic functionality right now.

EDIT:Aye and yes the demo map I was talking about was the simple one shown on the demo map engine page I posted. Its the one with the snow/gym/rhydons all over it...nothing spectacular at all. Ill wait for your entire map to be finished then design the maps after it for convenience.

EDIT: I switched my resolution to 1024x768 I can see now what you mean by crunched together, Ill definitely be fixing that, again thanks for the support.

EDIT: (Again) I fixed up the 1024x768-1440x900 resolution should look much better now. (Still not sure on the blue backgrounds.) Let me know what you think.

Last edited by malucifer; 05-08-2008 at 02:16 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:48 PM
Elrond Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

I had a huge long post written up so I could just copy and paste it in here, but I used a word processor on my laptop that this computer doesn't recognize.

Grrr...

Anyway, I hope you like it:

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/i...body/Mapv2.png

I know the one on the left has rather garish colors, but they at least served my purpose to show you where certain sectors begin and end. The large red city is Pokemon Plaza.

Quote:
<URPG>
Old 05-08-2008, 11:05 PM
malucifer Offline

Ahh definitely can see the value of this now that I have an image. Very nice! The sectors will actually work perfectly, I was thinking about including a guild system allowing for territory control. Speaking of which Ill give some insight in to that feature now.

Territory Control System

Guilds will control certain sectors of the map(as outlined by Nerd.) The benefits are as follows...

1) Any person in a guild that owns a sector will receive an experience bonus while battling in their guilds controlled sectors.

2) All sales from the merchant mode(to be featured later on) will give a small percent to the guild who owns the sector in which the sale was completed. Allowing guilds to build upon features to be created later.

3) All members of a guild controlling a sectors pet's will have a slight increase in both Defense and Attack while battling in controlled sectors of their guild.

More in depth features to be released later(Im not going to spoil everything right now.)

Again still looking for further help.

Nerd Ill pm you with some additional information shortly.

Thanks again and looks great!
Old 05-10-2008, 01:58 AM
Elrond Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by malucifer View Post
Ahh definitely can see the value of this now that I have an image. Very nice! The sectors will actually work perfectly, I was thinking about including a guild system allowing for territory control. Speaking of which Ill give some insight in to that feature now.

Territory Control System

Guilds will control certain sectors of the map(as outlined by Nerd.) The benefits are as follows...

1) Any person in a guild that owns a sector will receive an experience bonus while battling in their guilds controlled sectors.

2) All sales from the merchant mode(to be featured later on) will give a small percent to the guild who owns the sector in which the sale was completed. Allowing guilds to build upon features to be created later.

3) All members of a guild controlling a sectors pet's will have a slight increase in both Defense and Attack while battling in controlled sectors of their guild.

More in depth features to be released later(Im not going to spoil everything right now.)

Again still looking for further help.

Nerd Ill pm you with some additional information shortly.

Thanks again and looks great!
The guild ownership of territories sounds like a cool concept, but number 3 there has me a little concerned. First of all, you have to consider that there are many Pokemon that don't rely at all on Defense and Attack, and it would be unfair for Pokemon not to reap the benefits of being in their owner's sector. You'd have to be able to find the delicate balance between unfairness and uselessness that would satiate both sides of the playing field, the owner and the opponent. In my personal opinion, I believe that number 3 should be scratched entirely, though the other two benefits sound nice.

Secondly, I forgot to post something about my overworld map. I had come up with a small synopsis of each sector, so I figured I'd tack it onto this post since I was saying something else anyway. I'll repost the picture just so you don't have to go looking:

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/i...body/Mapv2.png

Blue sector: Seaside Province- sunny beaches on the southern coast and a vast salt marsh to the north.

Green sector: River Province- three rivers flow down from the mountain

Pink sector: Forest Province- dense trees; perhaps a swamp?

Yellow sector: Plains Province- flat, unending yellow grasses and sparse trees; optimal farming ground?

Orange sector: Desert Province- blocked from rain by the mountains, an expanse of cactuses and sand

Brown sector: Mountain Province- the largest sector, lots of cave networks

White sector: Winter Province (I couldn't come up with anything better)- snow. 'Nuff said.

Red sector: Volcanic Province- a volcano and a spiffy jungle.

Nice, yes?

Quote:
<URPG>