Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: General Board

Pokemon: General Board General discussion about Pokemon in general. If the topic of your thread does not fall into the subjects in the other boards, post it there. In other words, everything else belongs here if it doesn't have a board of its own.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:23 PM
ChthonicAustrian Offline
Elite Trainer

Default Pokemon Nostalgia

Why do we really like GSC? The duo-region? The Pokemon? Just how the region looked in general? The gym leaders? The list is just about endless. But why do we really like GSC, PE2K?

Was the introduction of the Pokegear, which revolutionized the Pokenav and the Poketch, or was it the introduction of a wireless era with Mystery Gift?

Or is it just the Pokemon in general? Was there something about those fluffy Mareep and the ancient puzzles you code decode that just got to us?

What about Red and Blue Version? They lacked a significant amount of current luxuries such as the item storage, box storage, graphics, extra-journey activity, etc.

Or is it nostalgia.

My belief for so many people worshipping RBY, despite the fact it was the beginning of Pokemon (excluding Green), is because so many people enjoyed growing up with it. Yes, I love all of the things I grew up with, it was my childhood. But if you were to play RBY, or GSC for the first time in your life right now, and if you've never heard of Pokemon until a month ago when you bought Diamond Version, and you played Gold Version now, would you really like it as much?

Really, just think about it. Compared to DP or even Emerald even, GSC greatly lacks in any competitive battling fun with the lack of many moves and strategies, contests, or just any fun after beating the champion at all. Do we really like this game because it takes longer to beat opposed to DP?

It's older and is more classic compared to the D/P games

This is a point, but a poor point at that. Age and originality doesn't always make something better.

GSC has TWO regions

Another point, but still, the Kanto region was significantly downgraded, cutting out many things and making the gym leaders painfully easy to defeat, despite that it was a fairly pleasant surprise seeing what rosters the leaders had.

The older Pokemon look cooler

You're honestly going to tell me that a Sunflora has more appeal than a Cherrim? That Lanturn looks cooler than Lumineon? The older Pokemon may have some really great-looking Pokemon such as Nidoking, or Persian even, but really, the amount of "cool vs. ugly" Pokemon is equal, there will always be awesomely-cool looking Pokemon, and awfully-horrible looking Pokemon.

It takes longer to beat and there's is more to do.

Yes, it takes longer to beat. No, there is no more to do on GSC than DP. DP has many, many more features than GSC. GSC may only seem like a lot because of the duo region adding on to the game's overall length. There are no contests, there's a significant cut in movepool and strategies for competitive battling, and it is overall rather dull after you've defeated Red at Mt. Silver.

Really, is RBY/GSC really so perfect compared to DP?

URPG Stats; Unavailable
Old 02-05-2008, 04:07 PM
pikahero2 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to pikahero2 Send a message via MSN to pikahero2
Default Re: Pokemon Nostalgia

I just loved everything in GSC, like the Pokegear, the phone calls and stuff, it was sooo cool. x3

| Vote me and PyreTheTorchic in MoTM when it comes. :3 |

[\ Pokémon Frenzy -URPG - VPP Stats - PyreXRyan - /]
Old 02-05-2008, 07:09 PM
Okami Kugatsu Offline

Send a message via AIM to Okami Kugatsu

Yes, Diamond and Pearl is better than Gold, Silver, Crystal, but GSC should be praised because it introduced many things that your forgetting about.

Breeding, Day/Night, Pokemon that appear at certain times, friendship evolutions, night/day evolutions.

It brought a ton of things that people today take advantage of and forget to consider how much of a giant leap this was at the time.

Yeah, graphically, stylistically, Diamond and Pearl is better, but don't discount it because it's old. It's not god's gift to man, but it brought a lot of things to the table that we never thought of at the time. Since then, there hasn't really been that much innovation in Pokemon gameplay. Ruby and Sapphire introduced berries and Pokemon contests, and Diamond and Pearl brought us wireless trading/battling.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:15 PM
Dark Salamence Offline

Send a message via AIM to Dark Salamence Send a message via MSN to Dark Salamence

I like Kanto for the pokemon but I just like Johto as well somehow. I like most of the pokemon, and I like the introduction of shiny pokemon... I just don't really know what it is.

~DS

TwitterTumblrDeviantart
Old 02-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Shadowmoon Offline
Experienced Trainer

Send a message via MSN to Shadowmoon

i think we all remember GSC so fondly because it was our first time seing pokemon game in Colour, we were used to RBY for so long then bam GSC comes along with its great new grapics, colour, new pokemon, Colour, new features and did i say Colour? lol i think the experience of turning it on for the first time is loged in our <fond memory> node in our brains lol.

Banner Made by Shadowmoon (Me!)
My Caims: Lunatone & Solrock
Vpp
Old 02-05-2008, 09:24 PM
spartan117 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to spartan117

I think Crystal was better than D/P. Maybe even Emerald was better than D/P. But thats just my opinion.

Anyways I liked G/S/C more than D/P cause of its originality and the 2 regions and night/day. It just reminds me of all the good times Ive had with my friends and the anime we used to watch(I stopped watching pokemon anime after the end of Jhoto)
Idk it just reminds me of all the good times and for some reason I find it more interesting the story and the plot.
I basically liked everything about Crystal and sometimes I enjoy playing it more than playing Diamond. In my opinion it had everything I wanted except the graphics.
My URPG Stats
MyBio

If you want a free http://www.lockerz.com/ please PM me with your email.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:28 PM
Llama Commando Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Llama Commando

I don't really feel that about R/B/Y, but G/S/C... I love it!! It gave us shinies, Dark and Steel, day and night, friendship, Pokegear... everything! Johto itself was just an awesome region, and had the coolest Pokemon ever. What game can present you with pre-first city Pokemon like G/S/C did? Pidgey, Sentret, Rattata, Hoothoot, Geodude, Jigglypuff - ou can't beat it. G/S/C is just great in it's own way.

-LC-

PE2K's Resident Michigan State Spartan
Old 02-05-2008, 09:50 PM
dogs rule cats drool Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to dogs rule cats drool

I agree that Diamond and Pearl are better in some ways, but I got bored with it and whent back to my Crystal version.
Yeah, it's graphics stink, but it's more fun in my opinion. Diamond and Pearl are too big first of all. And second, Crystal is better than Gold and Silver.
Another thing, Diamond and Pearl lack creativity. What's so special about a mirror pokemon or a rock with a mostache?(spelling?)
They also are missing something that the first two generations had, style.
So, I think that GSC are better then D/P.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:26 PM
Spartan777 Offline
Master Trainer

I liked the old version's better because 2 regions, the plot was better and the pokemon didn't look well... ugly like c'mon Probopass and Bidoof?

Houndour
Hatches: 28
Evolves: 85
Level 100: 313
Old 02-05-2008, 11:43 PM
Professor Geoffrey Offline

Send a message via AIM to Professor Geoffrey

The GSC PWNs all Pokemon games.

It was the best region.

Best gym leaders.

Best Pokemon. (most of my favorites came from Jhoto, though my favorite is Lapras)

Best places.

Best challenges.

Best experiences.

Best times.

Best era of Pokemon.

The region everyone's fighting for.

A GREAT number of us want a remake of Gold, Silver, and Crystal, AND POKEMON USA, AND POSSIBLY POKEMON JAPAN, KNOW IT. Jhoto was, BY FAR, the greatest era of Pokemon that ever graced our world.

So, the answer is, not only just those answers. All of those answers and MANY MORE.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:01 AM
Pokemon Trainer Sarah Offline
Expecto Patronum!

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon Trainer Sarah Send a message via MSN to Pokemon Trainer Sarah

For me I suppose it would be mostly nostalgia, and then the fact that there are barely any Kanto or Johto Pokemon that I can say I actually dislike, compared to half of Hoenn and the majority of Sinnoh.

I still go back and play through Red version and I remember things from the first time I played. Then GSC came out at the height of Pokemon's popularity. It had so many interesting new features and came with the first batch of new Pokemon. The addition of Kanto, although not as great as it could have been, gave an idea that Pokemon fans wish was included in every game - the ability to travel to different regions, as well as day/night which thankfully made a comeback in DP, as it makes the whole game more real.

Not being interested in contests at all, the main new feature in Hoenn, I never really grew to like those games as much. As for Sinnoh, the new Pokemon put me off from the start, but I did enjoy the game more than RSE, apart from after the Elite Four there was pretty much nothing left to do unless you like the Battle Tower or PokeRadar.

All in all though, I think GSC represents the time where Pokemon was the most popular thing around. Pretty much everyone liked it, there were Pokemon movies in the cinemas, and there was just Pokemon stuff everywhere. I'm sure many Pokemon fans wish that this could still be the case.