Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Entertainment

Entertainment For non-Pokemon related discussion, talk about other TV shows, movies, music, books, sports and more!

Old 01-23-2008, 01:14 AM
Tory vs Meaty II Offline

Send a message via ICQ to Tory vs Meaty II Send a message via AIM to Tory vs Meaty II Send a message via MSN to Tory vs Meaty II Send a message via Yahoo to Tory vs Meaty II Send a message via Skype™ to Tory vs Meaty II
Arrow Rap vs. Rock Thread

So what do you guys think of Rock, Soft Rock, Classic Rock, and the New Rock. What about the one I like? Rap, Southern, East Cost, West Cost, and the Old School, and more. I personally hate rock though. To me, it is nothing but a random non-sense of music. Should I even call it music? Metal on the other hand to me sound much better that Rock in my opinion. Feel free to also talk about other music genres with the compairness (if that is a word). Now Lets discuss about these two music genres. Everyone has a opinion about Rock and Rap.

~ Banner & avatar by me ~
Bye PE2K, I am leaving forever.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:21 AM
Llama Commando Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Llama Commando
Default Re: Rap vs. Rock Thread

I don't get how you can say rock is nonsense when compared with rap. Rap isn't even music, it's just vulgar language said really fast. Rock on the other hand, has a legacy behind it that has inspired generations and made the guitar the renowned instrument is today. Also, wouldn't this belong in the Other: Entertainment/Sports Board since that's where all the music stuff is? In conclusion: Rock pwns. Rap doesn't.

~Commando~

PE2K's Resident Michigan State Spartan
Old 01-23-2008, 01:25 AM
Tory vs Meaty II Offline

Send a message via ICQ to Tory vs Meaty II Send a message via AIM to Tory vs Meaty II Send a message via MSN to Tory vs Meaty II Send a message via Yahoo to Tory vs Meaty II Send a message via Skype™ to Tory vs Meaty II
Arrow Re: Rap vs. Rock Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama Commando View Post
I don't get how you can say rock is nonsense when compared with rap. Rap isn't even music, it's just vulgar language said really fast. Rock on the other hand, has a legacy behind it that has inspired generations and made the guitar the renowned instrument is today. Also, wouldn't this belong in the Other: Entertainment/Sports Board since that's where all the music stuff is? In conclusion: Rock pwns. Rap doesn't.

~Commando~
Meh, same thing I was going to say. This may not be the perfect spot for this thread.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:31 AM
LS Offline

Rap is some guy TRYING to rhyme words. Also rap is mostly about girls sex and drugs. :l Rock on the other hand. Is just plain awesome and if you can hear the lyrics and if you're smart enough you'll know what it means.

Good Game

LS wins

Rock-1 Rap-0
Old 01-23-2008, 01:31 AM
spartan117 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to spartan117

I like rap the most. I hate metal and I like some rock songs....actually only a couple of bands and thats it.
I really havent seen much people here that like rap...
My URPG Stats
MyBio

If you want a free http://www.lockerz.com/ please PM me with your email.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:33 AM
SinnoBoy1 Offline
Master Trainer

Personally, I'm a fan of Rap, I like artists spread over a variety of areas, from Chicago to Louisiana or as I call it (Lil Weezyana). I don't not have a problem with Rock but I don't usually listen to it. Unless it's Linkin Park (Duet With Jay-Z "Encore") when I get sad. It's Country Music I have the problem with.
A TRUE Pokemon fan would visit Tri-Force Forums!
http://www.pokedynasty.epsilloncanyo...orce/index.php
Old 01-23-2008, 01:39 AM
spartan117 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to spartan117

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinnoBoy1 View Post
Personally, I'm a fan of Rap, I like artists spread over a variety of areas, from Chicago to Louisiana or as I call it (Lil Weezyana). I don't not have a problem with Rock but I don't usually listen to it. Unless it's Linkin Park (Duet With Jay-Z "Encore") when I get sad. It's Country Music I have the problem with.
Ya I love that song even though its old. Numb encore wit Jay-Z and theres a remix on youtube wit Eminem, 50 Cent and Dr.Dre(i think).

Rock = 1
Rap = 2
My URPG Stats
MyBio

If you want a free http://www.lockerz.com/ please PM me with your email.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:50 AM
karmachameleon Offline

Send a message via AIM to karmachameleon

I absolutely hate when people say rap isn't "music". Yes, most rap heard on the radio is terrible, but it's not trying to be something it isn't- dance music. That's all it is. Nothing more, nothing less. For some actual rap, here's a local artist I like a lot.

Bdaman
Old 01-23-2008, 01:52 AM
Fire Away Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Slayer View Post
Rap is some guy TRYING to rhyme words. Also rap is mostly about girls sex and drugs. :l Rock on the other hand. Is just plain awesome and if you can hear the lyrics and if you're smart enough you'll know what it means.

Good Game

LS wins

Rock-1 Rap-0
Lol

I like both rap and rock, but anyone who thinks rap can't be just as powerful as rock is wrong. Tupac Shakur says hi. :/

I'm not saying that the vast majority of rap nowdays isn't crap, I'm perfectly aware it is. It can be something great when written and delivered right.

Hi

Old 01-23-2008, 01:57 AM
Tory vs Meaty II Offline

Arrow Re: Rap vs. Rock Thread

Rappers that I like are: Ja Rule, Jay-Z, L Cool J, 50 Cent, Lil' Wayne, T.I., Young Jeezy, Pall Wall, Slim Thug, 3 6 Mafias, Young Dro, Yung Jock, Eve, Gucci Mane, Chingy, T-Pain, Akon, Missy, Trina, R Kelly, Eminem, Chapmillionaire, Webbie, Bow Wow, Romeo, Tupac, B.I.G., Birdman, Juvenile, and many more.

Rockstars that I like are: (none). Rock falls, and fails. No really, rocks do fall.

Rock = 0
Rap = 25+

By the way my friend LS, rock also talks about girls, sex, and drugs.

Llama Commando, rap is not always about vulgar language.

When you guys think about Rap, is the only thing that come to mind about it is always negitive? =/

Old 01-23-2008, 01:58 AM
SinnoBoy1 Offline
Master Trainer

I agree 100%. Both Genres can sound like crap if delivered wrong but the best of that music is when it is delivered in a way that is well I don't know how to say it but you'll know when you hear it.
A TRUE Pokemon fan would visit Tri-Force Forums!
http://www.pokedynasty.epsilloncanyo...orce/index.php
Old 01-23-2008, 02:02 AM
Orthar Offline

Send a message via AIM to Orthar Send a message via MSN to Orthar Send a message via Skype™ to Orthar

I like both. Rock can be really emotional, and tell a story that you have to think about. You don't really listen to it, you feel it. There is nothing better than feeling the vibe that a guitar can make live. Though, I prefer metal. :P

I like Rap too. But not that crunk **** that everyone listens to. I like hard rap. Gangster rap. Rap like DMX, Puff Daddy, Ludacris, Biggie Smalls, Tupac Shakur, ect. Rap is more straight foreward into telling you what it's about. It just combines rhythm and poetry, but they fuse into something that sounds good to a certain kind of ear.

Believe it or not, these two very different worlds were combined. A certain under ground mixer DJ Dangermouse combined The Beatles' 'The White Album' with rapper Jay-Z's 'The Black Album' to make 'The Grey Album'. You can find it on Limewire, I downloaded it and it's pretty good. Mixes well in my opinion.

Both styles of music are very different, and talk about different subjects. But, if you look hard enough there is a comparison.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:12 AM
Poring Offline

Send a message via AIM to Poring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meaty View Post
Rappers that I like are: Ja Rule, Jay-Z, L Cool J, 50 Cent, Lil' Wayne, T.I., Young Jeezy, Pall Wall, Slim Thug, 3 6 Mafias, Young Dro, Yung Jock, Eve, Gucci Mane, Chingy, T-Pain, Akon, Missy, Trina, R Kelly, Eminem, Chapmillionaire, Webbie, Bow Wow, Romeo, Tupac, B.I.G., Birdman, Juvenile, and many more.

Rockstars that I like are: (none). Rock falls, and fails. No really, rocks do fall.

Rock = 0
Rap = 25+

When you guys think about Rap, is the only thing that come to mind about it is always negitive? =/
When you think of rock, why is the only thing that comes to mind always negative? Honestly, you haven't even made a coherent argument yet. All you've said was that it is "nonsense", that there are no rock artists you like, and that it fails.

There are generalizations on the other side as well. Though some rap songs on the radio are just random words strung together, other songs actually have meaning. As stated already, some rock songs have just as vulgar themes as some rap songs.

As for the thread, I'm more of a rock fan. I don't hate rap, but I don't listen to it.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:14 AM
Llama Commando Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Llama Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meaty View Post

Rock = 0
Rap = 25+

Usually it is negative when I think about rap. And that's because it mostly is. I agree there is some rap that is pretty cool and not vulgar, but the rest is crap. And Meaty, girls, sex, and drugs really isn't the focal point of rock. I'll admit, Motley Crue was all about that, but most isn't. Reagardless, at least most rock has rhythym , which most rap doesn't. Once again, not all rap is bad. Just the vast majority. Led Zeppelin foreva!

Rap: 25
Rock: 40

~Commando~

PE2K's Resident Michigan State Spartan
Old 01-23-2008, 02:32 AM
Sigma_ Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Sigma_

You can't prove one genre is better than the other, music is an art. There is no rubric or set of guidelines to make good art.

I don't understand how someone can dislike a whole genre of music. There has to be atleast one artist who has produced atleast one song you could enjoy.

Some of you are misguided in your judgment, especially on rap. Right now most mainstream rap is gangsta or thug. That's not the only kind of rap that exists, however. Basing your opinion on rap because of Soulja Boy is like me saying rock sucks due to Fall Out Boy. Not all mainstream stuff is bad, though. Try to develop your tastes on your own instead of what the media and other people put out to you.

I am surprised some of you people actually are open to rap. :)