Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:14 AM
Stormdancer94 Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Stormdancer94 Send a message via MSN to Stormdancer94
Default Why doesn't anyone like Pagans?

Why doesn't anyone like the people who worship the many gods they think are devoted to Earth? I think they have the most realistic view on the world and all it's problems. Simple. Man did it :p

And for the argument, "They don't worship a God", they go, it's called Mother Earth

They think that the world was born from the Mother and then she gave birth to all life on Earth and so on. I think it's a little bit better than some other theories, not necessarily true, but they tell us to respect the Earth and not to abuse it, like so many of us are doing now.

The Brood is growing!
Old 01-21-2008, 01:47 PM
Dragon_Master Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Default Re: Why doesn't anyone like Pagans?

Well, um... That's a toughie.

Some people think they just have to hang out with people from their religion. I know that some Jews don't like us Christians enough to try and save our, qoute, sorry souls. I know religion shouldn't take people apart that were meant to be close friends, rather to share with one another.

I for one would like to hang out with a pagan (hopefully my age, I'm not good with grown-ups>.>).

\-†††-/It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool,
then to open it, and remove all doubt.\-†††-/

Old 01-22-2008, 07:13 AM
Splishee Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Splishee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon_Master View Post

Some people think they just have to hang out with people from their religion. I know that some Jews don't like us Christians enough to try and save our, qoute, sorry souls. I know religion shouldn't take people apart that were meant to be close friends, rather to share with one another.

I for one would like to hang out with a pagan (hopefully my age, I'm not good with grown-ups>.>).
Don't want to create a religious debate, but isn't it mostly the Christians who say things like that to homosexuals and atheists? I've never heard of a Jew saying it to a Christian.. aren't they roughly, very roughly the same kind of worship?

Anyway, I'm all for Pagans, but I don't discriminate religions. Most of my friends are Christians anyway, we just don't talk about our beliefs much. And when we do, we're able to have civilised discussions and we're still the best of friends afterwards.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:04 PM
IT Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to IT Send a message via MSN to IT

Generalizing with the word 'anyone' can be almost taken as an insult. The thread title makes it seem that you actually have proof that no one likes paganism.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:06 PM
Matt Offline
<- Khold's Butt
Elite Trainer (Level 7)

Send a message via AIM to Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon_Master View Post

Well this is a respectable statement... Who exactly are you quoting here?

Stormdancer94: Who hates pagans?
------
FrozenChaos703: I have a kitty named Peaches.
FrozenChaos703: She can stand on my boobs.
FrozenChaos703: Without falling.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:58 PM
skiboydoggy Offline

Send a message via AIM to skiboydoggy

Christians, Jews, and Muslims of course, for they must not partake in the worship of idols.
Which is honestly quite ridiculous, as it creates all sorts of problems in a multi-religious society where a certain degree of respect must indeed be afforded to the customs of all these religions, but are screwed over by that line in the Old Testament. Or Q'uran, or whatever other name you might want to call it.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:23 AM
Veos Offline

I have nothing against pagans or their beliefs, and I respect all religions.

However, I believe pagans are taken less seriously than all other religions because they in fact don't worship a god or divine being. All other religions do one way or another, and possibly people confuse pagans with "tree huggers" or hippies which is quite sad

That is probably a reason they are taken less seriously compared to the other major religions.

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-23-2008, 08:13 AM
Stormdancer94 Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Stormdancer94 Send a message via MSN to Stormdancer94

They DO worship a being! It's called Mother Earth, or Nature. People refuse to believe that she is a deity/entity/divine being because we live on her. If someone wrote something like the Bible or the Koran, would other religions believe that Mother Nature is a true force?

Maybe it's because they have no respect for the earth that we live on. She gives us EVERYTHING. Even those machinated things that are causing global warming. Sadly. She gave us the resources and... We made terrible monsters.

The Brood is growing!
Old 01-23-2008, 10:51 AM
Arbok conquerer Offline
Experienced Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormdancer94 View Post
They DO worship a being! It's called Mother Earth, or Nature. People refuse to believe that she is a deity/entity/divine being because we live on her. If someone wrote something like the Bible or the Koran, would other religions believe that Mother Nature is a true force?

Maybe it's because they have no respect for the earth that we live on. She gives us EVERYTHING. Even those machinated things that are causing global warming. Sadly. She gave us the resources and... We made terrible monsters.
About the machine part I'm not sure that they are teribble monsters so much as they are misused. Machines may havee destroyed but they are also able to help make people's lives much easier. Like the mass production of medecine, for example, without that people would have to go search for natural herbal cures that may take years and by then a lot of people could have died from a disease.

On your first paragraph, no offense or anything, but to me it sounds like you are forcing people to accept your belief. I doubt people will refuse that she is an entity since you and many other people are Pagan. Not everyone in the world has to accept one religion, you know.
Thanks a bunch KDH. Now Team Rocket members all over can bow down to Giovanni's strength and magnifance. HAHAHAHHA. Also thanks to fefe31619 for the banner. Now resistance to Team Rocket is futile. Thanks to shiny loser for the avatar. In two days you will get a package with the uniform. Bow to Givonaii. MHAHAHAH

Old 01-24-2008, 04:46 PM
!CeMAn Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 6)

Send a message via MSN to !CeMAn

You guys should lay off poor stormdancer. I'm sure what she meant to say was, "Why does IT SEEM LiKE nobody likes Pagans?".

Just a shot in the dark/ my own opinion, but, maybe some people give the religion a bunch of crap because they're jealous. Most, if not all organised religions have to do stuff like pray and attend masses or sacrifice things(pre- marital sex, pork, etc.). So, perhaps when they hear another person worships "The Earth", they feel it's unfair, like a Pagan is cheating; saying they worship something so simple with little or no strings attached, while a Christian has to go to church or face hellfire. "It's not a real religion." to me, sounds like somebody saying "Working at McDonalds isn't a real job.".

Then again, i know very little about Paganism except Wicca is routed in it and, yes, it's nature and the earth that the worship is focused on. Do Pagans actually pray or have rituals/ traditions?
Old 01-24-2008, 04:50 PM
Charbok Offline

Send a message via AIM to Charbok Send a message via MSN to Charbok Send a message via Skype™ to Charbok

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paganism

I believe this should answer your question.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:57 PM
!CeMAn Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 6)

Send a message via MSN to !CeMAn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbok View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paganism

I believe this should answer your question.
(It doesn't say anything about tradition or ritual, only history and definitions)
Old 01-24-2008, 05:00 PM
Charbok Offline

Send a message via AIM to Charbok Send a message via MSN to Charbok Send a message via Skype™ to Charbok

Quote:
Originally Posted by !CeMAn View Post
(It doesn't say anything about tradition or ritual, only history and definitions)
Au contraire my feeble-minded friend.

http://www.paganlibrary.com/rituals_spells/index.php

Clearly you clicked the wrong link.