Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:41 AM
Veos Offline

Default College - A Road to Success?

With high interest rates for college loans, and the price of college increasing year by year, college for some families is a very costly dream to fulfill.

However do you guys believe a college education guarantees you success in life despite the amount of money you have to borrow/pay to receive that degree?

or

Do you guys believe personal drive, perseverence, and hard work guarantees success later in life, even if you're a high school drop out or just graduated from highschool?

-----

Feel free to share your thoughts and opinions on the matter

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-20-2008, 07:48 AM
ChthonicAustrian Offline
Elite Trainer

Default Re: College - A Road to Success?

Community college for me.

I'm too lazy and my future is already planned, so why bother with something that probably won't even happen, like Harvard or Yale?

URPG Stats; Unavailable
Old 01-20-2008, 07:54 AM
Bulletangel Offline
Elite Trainer

I know im going to have a successful future even though i'm not planning on going to university. It's all because i've planned out the qualifications for what i need to do, in my profession. If you can organise yourself and know how to pull the right strings, you'll be fine without university.

As long as you stay organised!! =)

...under construction...
-Paired with Hazmat Forever-

Old 01-20-2008, 08:00 AM
VP4L Offline
Amateur Trainer

well i know that by the time im like in college for 2 years the things im learning will be outdated
Old 01-20-2008, 08:00 AM
spartan117 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to spartan117

I think going to college would help you with your future but its different for everyone cause some people cant afford to go to collage and some can get scholarships.
My URPG Stats
MyBio

If you want a free http://www.lockerz.com/ please PM me with your email.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:01 AM
Dark Lightning Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Dark Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulletangel View Post
I know im going to have a successful future even though i'm not planning on going to university. It's all because i've planned out the qualifications for what i need to do, in my profession. If you can organise yourself and know how to pull the right strings, you'll be fine without university.

As long as you stay organised!! =)
Exactly right, I've already planned my future, you don't HAVE to go to University to have a great life.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:50 AM
Dancing Mad Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Dancing Mad

Going to college on average doubles your lifetime earning over a high school grad. Thats only an average but if you don't want to go to college and make a lot of money it will be an uphill battle.

"The only pace is suicide pace, and every day is a good day to die."
- Steve Prefontaine
Old 01-20-2008, 11:10 AM
Fire Away Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

IMO it has to be a combination of both a college degree and hard work. If you get out of college with a Masters degree and just expect a great career to appear at your doorstep, lol at you. D:

Hi

Old 01-20-2008, 11:58 AM
Shen Offline
Paladin of Dragons

Send a message via AIM to Shen Send a message via MSN to Shen Send a message via Yahoo to Shen Send a message via Skype™ to Shen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Away View Post
IMO it has to be a combination of both a college degree and hard work. If you get out of college with a Masters degree and just expect a great career to appear at your doorstep, lol at you. D:
Agreed at this. Yes, not everyone can afford to go to college, but college is for those who want a better chance at getting the jobs they want, or if the job requires a college education and a degree/PhD to get said job (Doctors for instance; that's one hell of a job, and they don't want people to screw up in it, because that's people's lives on the line). Plus, college is no picnic, so it's hard work just getting through college.

Take me for instance. I have (almost) no shame in admitting we're rather poor money-wise, but did that stop me from getting to college? Here I am, typing from my Northern Arizona University dorm room, and almost no money. I worked hard to get here, and I'm gonna continue. Loans definitely help, and they give you a deferment until you're out of college so you can have time to work up the money to pay it off. Plus, I always go to the Financial Aid office to see if Grants (basically free money given based on availability and Financial need) are available to claim, or if there are Scholarships I could see if I qualify for. There's always ways to find out how to pay for college, and to the persistent, it's all obtainable.

Yes, there are desirable jobs out there that don't require a college education, but the higher-paying jobs often do. Either way, for those good jobs, you have your work cut out for you, whether or not you go to college.

I do recommend going to college, because you not only learn more (specifically stuff in your field, mostly), but the human interaction (and fun; oh yes, college is fun) is very valuable.

Also, if you have siblings you can't stand and you've graduated High School, college is a great way to get away from them. I know this pleasure personally lol
Old 01-20-2008, 12:31 PM
Trainer17 Offline
Shōrai no Kaizoku-ō

Send a message via AIM to Trainer17 Send a message via MSN to Trainer17 Send a message via Skype™ to Trainer17

If you'd ask me, I'd say,

Education is only one of the way to success, Not the only way to success.
There are some Factors to consider in Life.Hard work,Perseverance, and mostly, Believing in Oneself.

I'd love to give Examples of those people who Indeed succeeded in Life in other ways rather through Education.

If i get them, I'll edit the Post.

Paired with Jaye l My Family l Wifi League
Old 01-20-2008, 03:12 PM
Azumao Offline
That Whiscash Freak
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Azumao Send a message via MSN to Azumao

Considering the education track I'm currently taking, it would be stupid not to go to college. Everything I'm doing right now in highschool is to prepare me for college and help me spend less time in college (my bro's on the same track, and just started college as a mid-sophomore is first year. :]) The point is, if I was to continue this college-course-filled track and NOT go to college, I'd be wasting too much time and effort.

I think that college is necessary for success. You can get by without college, but most of the good, fun, well-paying jobs require degrees.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:11 PM
spartan117 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azumao View Post
Considering the education track I'm currently taking, it would be stupid not to go to college. Everything I'm doing right now in highschool is to prepare me for college and help me spend less time in college (my bro's on the same track, and just started college as a mid-sophomore is first year. :]) The point is, if I was to continue this college-course-filled track and NOT go to college, I'd be wasting too much time and effort.

I think that college is necessary for success. You can get by without college, but most of the good, fun, well-paying jobs require degrees.
Ya you'll get more succesful ny going to college. My teachers always tell us that high school is just preparation for college.
My URPG Stats
MyBio

Old 01-20-2008, 06:31 PM
Lati-Chan Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via MSN to Lati-Chan

Well, my aunt went to college, and she was the best in her class since 7th grade, but she still didn't get a good job with good pay. >.>

URPG | VPP | Credit | Starry.Graphix

<3 Paired with FlameRyushin <3

Old 01-20-2008, 06:37 PM
spartan117 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lati-Chan View Post
Well, my aunt went to college, and she was the best in her class since 7th grade, but she still didn't get a good job with good pay. >.>
Maybe she should try looking for a better job then.
My URPG Stats
MyBio

Old 01-20-2008, 08:53 PM
Llama Commando Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Llama Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azumao View Post

Precisely. It is not absolutely necessary by any means to go to college in order to obtain a high paying or important job, but a degree (especially a prestigious one like a PHD or Doctorate, or just graduating from a great college) will most definately help your chances. Most high-school drop-outs or people who skip college end up (once again, generally) with low-paying jobs that are often not fun and could possibly end up on "Dirty Jobs, with Mike Rowe". Those who attend college generally are better suited for life ahead of them. However, no matter which road you choose (especially if you skip college) hard work and a driven personality are necessary to make good out of almost any situation.

~Commando~

PE2K's Resident Michigan State Spartan