Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:40 AM
Hazmat Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Hazmat
Default Stereotypes

Pretty much discuss anything about them here.

What stereotype(s) have you received?

What is your opinion towards stereotyping?

If opposed, how can they be avoided?

I, for one, have been labeled with the dreaded word: "emo"

Just because I'm the shy kid with died-black hair, who plays guitar, acts and writes well, I'm automatically assumed to be depressed.

In fact, I couldn't love my life more.

What are you guys' opinions

- VPP - URPG - Comatose - ROFL -

- Paired with Bulletangel Forever -
Old 01-14-2008, 09:55 AM
Splishee Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Splishee
Default Re: Stereotypes

Stereotypes? Yikes. The joys of high school.

For me, I've been labelled a nerd, or teacher's pet. Not sure if it's a stereotype, and I usually take it as a compliment because it usually means they're jealous or have nothing better to do than talk about me. But sometimes it's quite hurtful when a snide remark is made when I do or say something.. things like that could really lower someone's self esteem when they think they're doing the right thing.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:02 PM
Artificial Apathy Offline

Send a message via AIM to Artificial Apathy

Aw, poor Ace.

I know what you mean. We're pretty much in the same boat.

Stupid stereotypes. People shouldn't judge others on their outer appearences/hobbies/etc.

WE ARE NOT EMO!

*hi-5's*

.:. VPP .:. URPG .:.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:16 PM
Flammenwerfer Offline

Send a message via AIM to Flammenwerfer Send a message via MSN to Flammenwerfer Send a message via Skype™ to Flammenwerfer

Ugh...i hate it when Americans say stuff that makes us Canadians angry. WE ALL DON'T SAY "EH" OR LIVE IN IGLOOS!
Sorry. Had to get that off my chest.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:28 PM
Sixto Offline
Sofa King Cool

Send a message via AIM to Sixto Send a message via MSN to Sixto

Oh yes, stereotyping. I hate being classified as Mexican, I mean I'm proud to be part Mexican, but that's not all I am. I'm Hispanic, (I don't like Latino, since my parents don't come from Central America) meaning born here, with parents from Mexico.

Another huge one is based on my looks. Automatically classify me as being "gangsta" based on attire. While I do a lot of things that ARE "gangsta" I also do a lot of things that are not, such as talk in a way no one can understand, or walk differently. People are surprsied by the some of the things I say or do.

All in all, sterotypes bother me, but I have to deal with them cause they're going to continue to happen. I can either ignore them and move on or let them affect me, which till now, hasn't happened.

And then there's the Luigi thing, but that's a cliché and a whole different subject...
Old 01-14-2008, 04:02 PM
Mitsuzo-kun Offline
teehee
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Send a message via AIM to Mitsuzo-kun Send a message via MSN to Mitsuzo-kun Send a message via Skype™ to Mitsuzo-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazmat View Post
Just because I'm the shy kid with died-black hair, who plays guitar, acts and writes well, I'm automatically assumed to be depressed.
LMAO. Yeah, same. I dun have black hair, but people do call me an emo. And it got a million times worse when I turned up at school with cut marks on my arm. :x <--- Was my sister being a pain.
If you hadn't noticed, I'm inactive at the moment due to school and the like. If you need anything, drop me a PM and I'll reply ASAP, I try and visit every couple of days. Activity will pick up when there's a school break, I promise. D:

iamnotyou11 (00:41:35): scrotom?

ASB|URPG

Old 01-15-2008, 01:27 PM
Hazmat Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Hazmat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
Oh yes, stereotyping. I hate being classified as Mexican, I mean I'm proud to be part Mexican, but that's not all I am. I'm Hispanic, (I don't like Latino, since my parents don't come from Central America) meaning born here, with parents from Mexico.

Another huge one is based on my looks. Automatically classify me as being "gangsta" based on attire. While I do a lot of things that ARE "gangsta" I also do a lot of things that are not, such as talk in a way no one can understand, or walk differently. People are surprsied by the some of the things I say or do.

All in all, sterotypes bother me, but I have to deal with them cause they're going to continue to happen. I can either ignore them and move on or let them affect me, which till now, hasn't happened.

And then there's the Luigi thing, but that's a cliché and a whole different subject...
I agree with the fact that stereotypes aren't going anywhere any time soon, so I'm dealing with the fact that I'm labeled.

Actually everyone is labeled in some way or another, seeing as first-impressions seem to stick like glue.

- VPP - URPG - Comatose - ROFL -

- Paired with Bulletangel Forever -
Old 01-15-2008, 08:20 PM
Azumao Offline
That Whiscash Freak
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Azumao Send a message via MSN to Azumao

Stereotyping is a big peeve of mine. You can't label anybody. While people have similar traits, nobody is identical. Not everybody that would classify themselves as "emo" cuts their wrists or writes depressed poetry. Not all "jocks" are air-headed, egotistical jerks either. I know a lot of people that play sports that are perfectly kind and intelligent.

All I'm saying is that they get on my nerves. I actually don't fit into a label, and I'm proud of that. If you HAD to label me, I'd be a really perky mix of punk and emo with a dash of nerd/dork. Mostly, I'm me and I hate it when people tell me otherwise.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:31 PM
MustangGT Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via ICQ to MustangGT Send a message via AIM to MustangGT Send a message via Yahoo to MustangGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azumao View Post
Stereotyping is a big peeve of mine. You can't label anybody. While people have similar traits, nobody is identical. Not everybody that would classify themselves as "emo" cuts their wrists or writes depressed poetry. Not all "jocks" are air-headed, egotistical jerks either. I know a lot of people that play sports that are perfectly kind and intelligent.

All I'm saying is that they get on my nerves. I actually don't fit into a label, and I'm proud of that. If you HAD to label me, I'd be a really perky mix of punk and emo with a dash of nerd/dork. Mostly, I'm me and I hate it when people tell me otherwise.
The only possible stereotype for me is "Weird." I'm everywhere. Here, the football team, the weightlifting team, College prep program(in high school), love rock, love country, have a good bit of redneck in me and work on a farm.

Yeah, they CANT classify me. Therefore I just get "Weird." S'alright with me.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:37 PM
ChthonicAustrian Offline
Elite Trainer

Stereotypes are a poor, sad attempt of classification and organization of humanity. More common in the oh-so naive and foolish teenaged crowd.

Basically, stereotypes phail.

If I were to stoop so low to stereotype myself, I could honestly say that I'm a bit of "everything".

It's just a lot of generalization, and labels and stereotypes only fuel more dislike between people, especially in adolescence and/or teenaged years, because so many people automatically assume that brightly-dressed girls who dye their hair and pure evil and self-centered, or that video gamers are nerds who need lives.

There will always be exceptions, or special circumstances to everything. You can't sum thousands of people up with a word like this.

URPG Stats; Unavailable
Old 01-15-2008, 09:46 PM
Pooka Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Pooka Send a message via MSN to Pooka

Meh, like most people here I think stereotypes suck, though they're something that aren't easy to shake off so you basically have to just live with your label, even if it doesn't reflect you in any way.

Most people generally assume that I'm stupid, mainly because of the way I act and because I'm blonde, but I guess I'm ok with it, as long as they eventually look past the stereotype and see the real me.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:03 PM
Owen_Guy Offline

Send a message via MSN to Owen_Guy

yes i also hate stereotypes because i live the land down under, Australia, we get branded with being crocodile loving, kangaroos for pets and vegimite eating people and we are not thanks to american Tv like NCIS and other top rating shows in Oz
Old 01-16-2008, 12:13 AM
Loyal Arcanine Offline

Send a message via AIM to Loyal Arcanine

I like how in this thread people say how they hate stereotypes, then try to stereotype themselves.

"gengar is a fart" imsocorn (4:08:55): Is that your way of saying "and not a single **** was given that day" ?

Old 01-16-2008, 12:22 AM
Tory vs Meaty II Offline

Send a message via ICQ to Tory vs Meaty II Send a message via AIM to Tory vs Meaty II Send a message via MSN to Tory vs Meaty II Send a message via Yahoo to Tory vs Meaty II Send a message via Skype™ to Tory vs Meaty II
Arrow Re: Stereotypes

For some reason, I have been living in Georgia, United States for the longest, and I never heard anyone use the word "emo."

~ Banner & avatar by me ~
Bye PE2K, I am leaving forever.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:27 AM
Nick_Man1234 Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Nick_Man1234

im considered a "Nerd" or "gay" because i like art.some people called me emo because i never smile and like rock.