Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  
 

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-08-2008, 03:31 AM
spartan117's Avatar
spartan117 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn NY
Posts: 3,731
Send a message via AIM to spartan117
Default Creation vs Evolution?

Since I see how much "action" we got from that gay marriage argument I want to see what people think about this.

I personally believe in creation and have reasons to back it up but I want to hear other people first....(and please dont tell me to prove it, first prove your reason)...
__________________
My VPP
My Claims
My Myspace
My URPG Stats
MyBio


If you want a free http://www.lockerz.com/ please PM me with your email.

Last edited by spartan117; 01-08-2008 at 04:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-08-2008, 03:35 AM
Leman's Avatar
Leman Offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: You have one guess
Posts: 8,639
Send a message via AIM to Leman
Default Re: Creation vs Evolution?

Evolution. Animals and plants popping out of the ground makes no sense to me at all what so ever. =/
__________________
My VPP

Done: 8680

I don't ref forum battles/1v1s. Don't PM me to ref, IM me instead.
I need to have basic battles.

I grade week old stories that are Hard rank or lower. :)


Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-08-2008, 04:10 AM
Arbok conquerer's Avatar
Arbok conquerer Offline
Experienced Trainer
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Team Rocket HQ of course
Posts: 232
Default Re: Creation vs Evolution?

I believe in creationism to a certain extent. If i am correct, there is some scientific law that says energy cannot be created or destroyed. So how was it possible to create a universe with a big explosion, which means a LOT of enery. My belief is that God creeated the universe and he created life. After that, I believe that evolution ran it's course.
__________________
Thanks a bunch KDH. Now Team Rocket members all over can bow down to Giovanni's strength and magnifance. HAHAHAHHA. Also thanks to fefe31619 for the banner. Now resistance to Team Rocket is futile. Thanks to shiny loser for the avatar. In two days you will get a package with the uniform. Bow to Givonaii. MHAHAHAH




Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-08-2008, 04:13 AM
FireflyK's Avatar
FireflyK Offline
Five by Five
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Under your bed
Posts: 4,290
Send a message via AIM to FireflyK
Default Re: Creation vs Evolution?

Both.

Yeah, yeah, I always pick the tough side. =p

In the Torah, lots of things are mentioned as if they happened one after another, but actually took many years/decades/centuries.

So I feel that God created/guided evolution. It just, well, makes sense to me. ^_^ It's how I was taught, anyway. The 'seven days' and all are not really 'days' by our time, but by Gods. And He is still creating, we simply don't see it as much now.


After all... Even if we evolved from single cell organisms, where DID those single-cells come from? Energy can't be created or destroyed as far as we know... So I believe that was God.
__________________

My hands have yet to build a village, have yet to find water in the barren desert, have yet to plant a flower, and I have yet to find the path that leads me... I have not loved enough, but the wind and the sun are still on my face.



I have yet to sow green fields, yet to raise a city, yet to plant a grapevine on each chalky hill... There is so much to build and so much to be, and my love is just beginning.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-08-2008, 04:28 AM
spartan117's Avatar
spartan117 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn NY
Posts: 3,731
Send a message via AIM to spartan117
Default Re: Creation vs Evolution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbok conquerer View Post
I believe in creationism to a certain extent. If i am correct, there is some scientific law that says energy cannot be created or destroyed. So how was it possible to create a universe with a big explosion, which means a LOT of enery. My belief is that God creeated the universe and he created life. After that, I believe that evolution ran it's course.
So basically you believe in Deism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireflyK View Post
Both.

Yeah, yeah, I always pick the tough side. =p

In the Torah, lots of things are mentioned as if they happened one after another, but actually took many years/decades/centuries.

So I feel that God created/guided evolution. It just, well, makes sense to me. ^_^ It's how I was taught, anyway. The 'seven days' and all are not really 'days' by our time, but by Gods. And He is still creating, we simply don't see it as much now.


After all... Even if we evolved from single cell organisms, where DID those single-cells come from? Energy can't be created or destroyed as far as we know... So I believe that was God.
Lol I used to believe the same thing before but then I found out some facts which cant mean its true for instace evolution is not mentioned in the Bible at all.

I can say that its just a work of fiction just like other people say about the Bible. It was created by a guy studying tortoises on two different islands with only like one difference.

Also fossils show that they were created in some catostrophic event like the one mentioned in the Bible...Noah's Flood.
__________________
My VPP
My Claims
My Myspace
My URPG Stats
MyBio


If you want a free http://www.lockerz.com/ please PM me with your email.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-08-2008, 05:10 AM
Kenny_C.002's Avatar
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hina <3
Posts: 12,268
Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002
Default Re: Creation vs Evolution?

Previous thread on Evolution

Really the only problem I have with the whole "God creating the universe" idea is that if that is the case is that simply a) it would be a supernatural phenomenon, and thus is undebatable by definition, and b) if a God exists in a debatable manner, who created God? This question loops back to becoming undebatable yet again.

Really, I am simply a human, I cannot fathom undebatable existances. It doesn't bother me that others believe in God. Heck, I'm in a religion myself that stems from ancient times as well. What does bother me are those that don't accept evolution and blindly follow the Bible. Yes, enough for me to house open challenges against them.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-08-2008, 05:18 AM
spartan117's Avatar
spartan117 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn NY
Posts: 3,731
Send a message via AIM to spartan117
Default Re: Creation vs Evolution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_C.002 View Post
Previous thread on Evolution

Really the only problem I have with the whole "God creating the universe" idea is that if that is the case is that simply a) it would be a supernatural phenomenon, and thus is undebatable by definition, and b) if a God exists in a debatable manner, who created God? This question loops back to becoming undebatable yet again.

Really, I am simply a human, I cannot fathom undebatable existances. It doesn't bother me that others believe in God. Heck, I'm in a religion myself that stems from ancient times as well. What does bother me are those that don't accept evolution and blindly follow the Bible. Yes, enough for me to house open challenges against them.
Ya I knew there was another thread about evolution before but the last time someone posted there was "01-08-2007, 10:35 PM" so I decided to make a new one since we cant revive month old topics(and thats a year old topic).
__________________
My VPP
My Claims
My Myspace
My URPG Stats
MyBio


If you want a free http://www.lockerz.com/ please PM me with your email.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-08-2008, 05:23 AM
Kenny_C.002's Avatar
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hina <3
Posts: 12,268
Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002
Default Re: Creation vs Evolution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan117 View Post
Ya I knew there was another thread about evolution before but the last time someone posted there was "01-08-2007, 10:35 PM" so I decided to make a new one since we cant revive month old topics(and thats a year old topic).
That's fine. The only reason why I posted it was because it contains a wealth of information. Including my proposal to separate the fact of evolution from the theory of natural selection leading to evolution (aka the common people's knowledge of evolution).
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-08-2008, 09:07 PM
Arbok conquerer's Avatar
Arbok conquerer Offline
Experienced Trainer
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Team Rocket HQ of course
Posts: 232
Default Re: Creation vs Evolution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan117 View Post
So basically you believe in Deism?


Lol I used to believe the same thing before but then I found out some facts which cant mean its true for instace evolution is not mentioned in the Bible at all.

I can say that its just a work of fiction just like other people say about the Bible. It was created by a guy studying tortoises on two different islands with only like one difference.

Also fossils show that they were created in some catostrophic event like the one mentioned in the Bible...Noah's Flood.
Your last statement, please tel me how life was created in some catostrophic event? If I rember, wasn't life first created a few million years after the Earth was formed. And last I checked, nothing bad happened during that time.
__________________
Thanks a bunch KDH. Now Team Rocket members all over can bow down to Giovanni's strength and magnifance. HAHAHAHHA. Also thanks to fefe31619 for the banner. Now resistance to Team Rocket is futile. Thanks to shiny loser for the avatar. In two days you will get a package with the uniform. Bow to Givonaii. MHAHAHAH




Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-08-2008, 09:38 PM
Elrond's Avatar
Elrond Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Somewhere in the USA
Posts: 2,465
Send a message via AIM to Elrond
Default Re: Creation vs Evolution? (or some other theory...)

I believe strongly in both theories, and, in fact, believe that they are more intertwined than many people take them for. The main argument against creationism is that scientists have proved the occurrence of evolution and the sheer disability of a world to be created in seven days. The main argument against evolution is that the Bible says the world was created in seven days, along with everything else the Bible says.

Let me tell you up front, I am a devout Catholic. I believe what the Bible says. And, it is in doing so that I find evolution is an obvious occurrence. There are a lot of people who would say the Bible, especially when it comes to Genesis, is just a big storybook. And, guess what? They're pretty close. The stories of creation and of Adam and Eve weren't written to be taken literally; they were inspired by the Holy Spirit to teach a lesson, the main one here being that God is the Creator.

On the other hand, it's pretty hard to disbelieve the scientific facts about evolution that I learned in Biology class in a Catholic high school.

So, my belief is that evolution is a series of spontaneous mutations that take place, resulting in an offspring somehow genetically different from the parents. The question is, why? The answer is simple. God planned it that way.
__________________

Quote:
SotaOMG (10:05:46 PM): i think stunky is sexy
iamnotyou11 (10:05:54 PM): Soda stop being gay
supermonkey07@cox.net (10:06:03 PM): ironic statement?
<URPG>
I can probably take some grading requests now. But don't all rush me at once. :/
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-08-2008, 09:41 PM
MaskedJackal's Avatar
MaskedJackal Offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,625
Send a message via AIM to MaskedJackal Send a message via MSN to MaskedJackal
Default Re: Creation vs Evolution? (or some other theory...)

I believe in creation. I'd much rather follow my faith in God rather than believe some ridiculous theory that has hardly any validity.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-08-2008, 10:00 PM
Arbok conquerer's Avatar
Arbok conquerer Offline
Experienced Trainer
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Team Rocket HQ of course
Posts: 232
Default Re: Creation vs Evolution? (or some other theory...)

You know, the same thing can be said about your belief in God. I mean, us typing on this forum right now, is that not evolution of the human mind to develop somrthing as complex as the Internet. How about amphibians evolving from fish, that is some pretty good proof of evolution.
__________________
Thanks a bunch KDH. Now Team Rocket members all over can bow down to Giovanni's strength and magnifance. HAHAHAHHA. Also thanks to fefe31619 for the banner. Now resistance to Team Rocket is futile. Thanks to shiny loser for the avatar. In two days you will get a package with the uniform. Bow to Givonaii. MHAHAHAH




Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-09-2008, 01:39 AM
Stubby Boardman's Avatar
Stubby Boardman Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: central standard time zone
Posts: 3,770
Send a message via AIM to Stubby Boardman
Default Re: Creation vs Evolution? (or some other theory...)

i believe God created everything but i also believe in evolution
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-09-2008, 02:58 AM
Kenny_C.002's Avatar
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hina <3
Posts: 12,268
Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002
Default Re: Creation vs Evolution? (or some other theory...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodys_Nerd View Post
I believe strongly in both theories, and, in fact, believe that they are more intertwined than many people take them for. The main argument against creationism is that scientists have proved the occurrence of evolution and the sheer disability of a world to be created in seven days. The main argument against evolution is that the Bible says the world was created in seven days, along with everything else the Bible says.

Let me tell you up front, I am a devout Catholic. I believe what the Bible says. And, it is in doing so that I find evolution is an obvious occurrence. There are a lot of people who would say the Bible, especially when it comes to Genesis, is just a big storybook. And, guess what? They're pretty close. The stories of creation and of Adam and Eve weren't written to be taken literally; they were inspired by the Holy Spirit to teach a lesson, the main one here being that God is the Creator.

On the other hand, it's pretty hard to disbelieve the scientific facts about evolution that I learned in Biology class in a Catholic high school.

So, my belief is that evolution is a series of spontaneous mutations that take place, resulting in an offspring somehow genetically different from the parents. The question is, why? The answer is simple. God planned it that way.
Your former Pope John Pual II also made an announcement to all Catholics that evolution is real and that it does not conflict with the Bible. Catholics that deny evolution actually denies the church, interestingly enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunschkind View Post
I believe in creation. I'd much rather follow my faith in God rather than believe some ridiculous theory that has hardly any validity.
Go learn what evolution is before talking about it. As I said before, 99.99% of America don't even understand what evolution is, let alone having the credentials to judge it. Of course, that's why I've learned that the middle man, the communicator between the scientists and the rest of the general public, is important. Unfortunately, these types of people are few and far in between, and are persecuted for the most part by both sides of the spectrum.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-09-2008, 03:47 AM
Splishee Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WHAT?!
Posts: 1,923
Send a message via AIM to Splishee
Default Re: Creation vs Evolution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan117 View Post
Lol I used to believe the same thing before but then I found out some facts which cant mean its true for instace evolution is not mentioned in the Bible at all.
Well, most people who believe in evolution don't believe in 'religion', ie, the bible.

There's numerous evidence to back up evolution; scientific research, for one. And there are so many traits that link us, humans, to primates. Not to mention that it's been found that parts of the brain are still 'primate', that is, animal instincts that are closely related to those animals.

You may say that it's just not believable, us, the smartest creatures on earth, evolved from others? But is a book written and re written hundreds of times by different people, talking of miracles and magic by usually one person/thing, really more believable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbok Conquerer
I believe in creationism to a certain extent. If i am correct, there is some scientific law that says energy cannot be created or destroyed. So how was it possible to create a universe with a big explosion, which means a LOT of enery. My belief is that God creeated the universe and he created life. After that, I believe that evolution ran it's course.
Recent hypothesis show that the big bang was not, infact a big bang.. rather, it had been there all along, expanding and expanding. It is thought that the universe started with pure static energy to create pure matter-energy.

The above is a just a hypothesis so.. yeah.
__________________
Laptop died. Using phone.

Last edited by Splishee; 01-09-2008 at 04:00 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Design: AlienSector.com