Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  
 

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 12-28-2007, 03:06 PM
DragoniteMistress's Avatar
DragoniteMistress Offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,086
Send a message via AIM to DragoniteMistress Send a message via Yahoo to DragoniteMistress
Default Re: Global Warming

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT View Post
Last time it resorted into an ice age, so exaggerating is quite necessary.

Most of you Americans/British people have no clue how the global warming actually affects the temperatures, because your climate doesn't vary too much. Yes, I'm generalizing, but I bet most of you just read this stuff from the newspaper rather than experience it yourself.

Finland has four seasons, all of which can be easily seen as different from one another. Normally snow has fallen during November and by normal I mean not the past two years. This year, we have basically had no snow throughout even the whole December. In the countries that pass through the Arctic Circle, you will actually notice the difference.
Just because we don't experience it doesn't exactly mean that we don't know it's really kicking us in the ass. Slowly but surely I've noticed the midwest and other northern states of the U.S. have had less snowfall during the winter and searing heat in the summer. Several years ago we had near 2 feet of snow in northern Michigan, and that was giving us a continuous snowfall from November-February, but this year the little snowfall we had was only a max of 10" or so inches, all at once. Usually it's evenly distributed, but I'm not a meteorologist, so I wouldn't know the gritty facts and statistics.

I do think environmentalists are extreme, rash, and don't think of what they're doing. I may sound stereotypical, but the whole stubborn act will only infuriate the people who are trying to drill in Alaska or burn more fossil fuels. Ceaseless bickering only results in rash, often consequential actions, from my experience. Humans are rather idiotic in situations much like this, and that's one of our greatest downfalls, and what's leading us to global warming faster than it should naturally be occuring.
  #17  
Old 12-28-2007, 07:41 PM
Kenny_C.002's Avatar
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hina <3
Posts: 12,268
Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002
Default Re: Global Warming

Well if it's any indication, we've had rain for the last 3 or 4 years in January, followed by massive snowfall mid to late January in Ontario. Back when I was a kid, rain was nonexistant starting in November and lasting until March or so.

Anyway:

  #18  
Old 12-29-2007, 10:06 AM
Deathspector's Avatar
Deathspector Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hyderabad, India
Posts: 2,641
Send a message via MSN to Deathspector Send a message via Yahoo to Deathspector
Default Re: Global Warming

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT View Post
Most of you Americans/British people have no clue how the global warming actually affects the temperatures, because your climate doesn't vary too much. Yes, I'm generalizing, but I bet most of you just read this stuff from the newspaper rather than experience it yourself.

Finland has four seasons, all of which can be easily seen as different from one another. Normally snow has fallen during November and by normal I mean not the past two years. This year, we have basically had no snow throughout even the whole December. In the countries that pass through the Arctic Circle, you will actually notice the difference.
Okay, admittedly, I'm not American nor am I British, but I still think it's unfair to say that just because countries don't experience radical changes in weather doesn't mean that they're not suffering from global warming too. The weather is changing all around the world, and it doesn't take a country far up north in the Arctic Circle to notice the difference. Here, in southern India, where the temperatures hardly change throughout the year, we can all feel increased heat, and a shortened winter season. It's only the 29th of December here, but already the temperatures are increasing, and it's going back to being hot and humid.

Kenny, is there ever any way to prove you wrong? I like the cartoon, though; it's true, as well.

Deathspector
__________________


// The Poet Of The Fall \\
^ Last update: 22 June 2009 ^
  #19  
Old 12-29-2007, 12:45 PM
skiboydoggy's Avatar
skiboydoggy Offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Exploding Robots
Posts: 3,706
Send a message via AIM to skiboydoggy
Default Re: Global Warming

Now you know how I feel Azzy. Kenny is always so darned right.

Except with the Wii jokes. Durn that was old.

Well, there's been hardly any change in Singapore, except it seems hotter than usual. That's probably just perception though. However, just because it's not kicking ME in the ass, does not mean I should not care.
__________________
  #20  
Old 12-29-2007, 01:44 PM
Treeky111's Avatar
Treeky111 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,002
Send a message via AIM to Treeky111
Default Re: Global Warming

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT View Post
Last time it resorted into an ice age, so exaggerating is quite necessary.

Most of you Americans/British people have no clue how the global warming actually affects the temperatures, because your climate doesn't vary too much. Yes, I'm generalizing, but I bet most of you just read this stuff from the newspaper rather than experience it yourself.

Finland has four seasons, all of which can be easily seen as different from one another. Normally snow has fallen during November and by normal I mean not the past two years. This year, we have basically had no snow throughout even the whole December. In the countries that pass through the Arctic Circle, you will actually notice the difference.
I much agree. I'm sure many of you live in the U.S. on the east coast in the South Eastern Region. As many of you probably know April is near the end of Spring. Well, it snowed.

Yes, i know what all of you are thinking. How could this happen this close to Summer? I'm not lying though. I was there. Global Warming is happening. God or no God, it will happen if we don't do something about it. This may result in a second Ice Age. Or maybe we are all just watching to much of the movie, The Day After Tomorrow.
__________________
  #21  
Old 12-29-2007, 05:37 PM
fullmetal's Avatar
fullmetal Offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,833
Send a message via AIM to fullmetal
Default Re: Global Warming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeky111 View Post
I much agree. I'm sure many of you live in the U.S. on the east coast in the South Eastern Region. As many of you probably know April is near the end of Spring. Well, it snowed.

Yes, i know what all of you are thinking. How could this happen this close to Summer? I'm not lying though. I was there. Global Warming is happening. God or no God, it will happen if we don't do something about it. This may result in a second Ice Age. Or maybe we are all just watching to much of the movie, The Day After Tomorrow.

Dude don't post unless you have something semi-intelligent to say. "Global Warming" is another term for a type of climate change that Earth experiences. We are only making it happen faster. There have been many Ice Ages. There was only 1 serious one dude. History repeats itself so no duh there is going to be an extreme Ice Age. I don't know why you are all freaking out about global warming. Its going to happen just chill, relax and go with it. I mean like its not like we are all going to die as soon as global warming comes into full effect. Oh and big deal it snowed, it can snow anywhere, with the right mix in temperatures and fronts. The earth isn't perfect its not like every area is going to have the same temperature every year. Most of you need to just chill, its about cleaning the Earth not stopping Global Warming.

Last edited by fullmetal; 12-29-2007 at 05:40 PM.
  #22  
Old 12-29-2007, 10:53 PM
IT's Avatar
IT Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Finland
Posts: 2,957
Send a message via AIM to IT Send a message via MSN to IT
Default Re: Global Warming

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoniteMistress View Post
Just because we don't experience it doesn't exactly mean that we don't know it's really kicking us in the ass. Slowly but surely I've noticed the midwest and other northern states of the U.S. have had less snowfall during the winter and searing heat in the summer. Several years ago we had near 2 feet of snow in northern Michigan, and that was giving us a continuous snowfall from November-February, but this year the little snowfall we had was only a max of 10" or so inches, all at once. Usually it's evenly distributed, but I'm not a meteorologist, so I wouldn't know the gritty facts and statistics.
I never said you didn't know how 'it's kicking your ass'. I just said you can't exactly talk from experience.

At least you still get snow, we don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathspector
Okay, admittedly, I'm not American nor am I British, but I still think it's unfair to say that just because countries don't experience radical changes in weather doesn't mean that they're not suffering from global warming too. The weather is changing all around the world, and it doesn't take a country far up north in the Arctic Circle to notice the difference. Here, in southern India, where the temperatures hardly change throughout the year, we can all feel increased heat, and a shortened winter season. It's only the 29th of December here, but already the temperatures are increasing, and it's going back to being hot and humid.

Kenny, is there ever any way to prove you wrong? I like the cartoon, though; it's true, as well.

Deathspector
Oh right, it's unfair that they don't suffer from radical changes to the climate. I'm aware that other countries can feel the effect of global warming, but as the comic above shows, they mainly read about it. In India, you can feel the slight increase in the temperature. Last August, there were a whole two weeks with +30C temperature, which is definitely not common for this area.

Also, I find it quite ironic that you decided to agree with Kenny's picture where a man has a possibility to read about global warming in a boo, but you disagree when I say Americans/British read the stuff from the newspaper. Also, Kenny is Canadian and Canada is a country, which is crossed by the Arctic Circle, which further proves my point when you agree with him, but not me.
__________________
  #23  
Old 12-30-2007, 04:13 PM
Deathspector's Avatar
Deathspector Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hyderabad, India
Posts: 2,641
Send a message via MSN to Deathspector Send a message via Yahoo to Deathspector
Default Re: Global Warming

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
Dude don't post unless you have something semi-intelligent to say. "Global Warming" is another term for a type of climate change that Earth experiences. We are only making it happen faster. There have been many Ice Ages. There was only 1 serious one dude. History repeats itself so no duh there is going to be an extreme Ice Age. I don't know why you are all freaking out about global warming. Its going to happen just chill, relax and go with it. I mean like its not like we are all going to die as soon as global warming comes into full effect. Oh and big deal it snowed, it can snow anywhere, with the right mix in temperatures and fronts. The earth isn't perfect its not like every area is going to have the same temperature every year. Most of you need to just chill, its about cleaning the Earth not stopping Global Warming.
You really don't need to tell Treeky off when you yourself haven't contributed much. I made this thread to get people's ideas and thoughts, not to only get input on global warming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT View Post
Oh right, it's unfair that they don't suffer from radical changes to the climate. I'm aware that other countries can feel the effect of global warming, but as the comic above shows, they mainly read about it. In India, you can feel the slight increase in the temperature. Last August, there were a whole two weeks with +30C temperature, which is definitely not common for this area.
No, I understand that people who live in the Arctic Circle like you are facing the brunt of Global Warming, and it's countries like yours that are going to be most effected by the climate changes. The point I was making was that you can't say that people who don't live in the Arctic Circle don't experience global warming and therefore don't know what they're saying. Admittedly, reading about something isn't quite like experiencing it firsthand, but it does raise awareness; not everyone can make a trip to the Arctic Circle to experience global warming.

And also, I'd like to comment on the statement you made about the temperature increase in India being slight. You may have spent two weeks in August where the temperatures were 30C+, but in Delhi, the people had to spend two months with temperatures over 50C. True enough, I don't live in Delhi, but I live in Hyderabad, where the normal temperature during summer when I was a small kid was around 38C, but is now about 45C. You can hardly say that we're experiencing slight changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT View Post
Also, I find it quite ironic that you decided to agree with Kenny's picture where a man has a possibility to read about global warming in a boo, but you disagree when I say Americans/British read the stuff from the newspaper. Also, Kenny is Canadian and Canada is a country, which is crossed by the Arctic Circle, which further proves my point when you agree with him, but not me.
Kenny isn't saying that because he lives in Canada, he knows about global warming and the rest of us don't. He's saying he knows more about global warming, because he has the facts to back it up. Also, I'm no disagreeing that Americans/British read about global warming in magazines and newspapers, but, again, that even reading about something can bring about awareness. It was only through reading about it in newspapers that people from the developed world learnt about the poverty crisis in Africa, and sent help down. So just because you read it doesn't mean that you don't know what you're talking about.

Deathspector
__________________


// The Poet Of The Fall \\
^ Last update: 22 June 2009 ^
  #24  
Old 12-31-2007, 02:49 AM
Professor Geoffrey's Avatar
Professor Geoffrey Offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: My laboratory.
Posts: 6,512
Send a message via AIM to Professor Geoffrey
Default Re: Global Warming

Setting aside all the flaming about this serious topic... I've been very aware of this dramatic change in this wheather. Usually, we would have had two to three snow days by now. Something must be done.

I've saved electricity a lot, we recycle nearly everything except some plastics, food, paper (I recycle paper at school), and some other stuff... We try to conserve water, and that's about it... xD
__________________
❒ SINGLE ❒ TAKEN ✔ LAPRAS RIDER
The Professor of Pokémon Elite 2000.
  #25  
Old 12-31-2007, 06:16 AM
Blue- Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Oregon~
Posts: 1,998
Send a message via Yahoo to Blue-
Default Re: Global Warming

It isn't just the Earth that's heating up. Other planets, like Mars, are experiencing the same problems. Since I can't debate, why don't you just read this.

If other planets are warming up as well (I'll edit this post with more proof), than it can't all be caused by humans. How could those greenhouse gasses make it all the way to Mars? So I think it's the sun that's causing the warming.

Edit: This is what I originally used to prove my point. xD Click.
__________________
Three years of snow

The Wasteland




Last edited by Blue-; 12-31-2007 at 06:29 AM.
  #26  
Old 12-31-2007, 05:35 PM
Kenny_C.002's Avatar
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hina <3
Posts: 12,268
Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002
Default Re: Global Warming

I'll let some guy do the talking I guess, as well (from the same link of the second article):

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC
Good post. And I would venture to say, that if scientists are not somehow stiffled from doing their jobs..we will be hearing about a lot MORE things that don’t fit with the current consensus model of global warming. And if it’s as important as people believe it is, then perhaps the best thing would NOT to be taking absolute positions on it that discourage debate, excludes new finds/evidence, etc.

One can point out that as temps have gone up, other things have changed or somehow been affected or otherwise have some correllation together. Does that mean one is causing the other? Or are they “both” responding to something else? These are the questions that “should” be part of any investigative process.

This is the argument some scientists are having with some of these theories, or doctrines, that have been put out there as gospel. The fact that 2 conditions exist and appear to have some correlation to each other does not therefore imply a cause and effect relationship between them somehow by default — and to the exclusion of all other possible external causes or reasons not tested. Even scientists who have theoretically proven some correllation hypothesis are aware of this.

It’s only as good until other variables or etc..untested or unseen or unknown shoot holes in your hypothesis and method. This is part of how our knowledge evolves about any subject. Some people used to believe and theorize that the world was flat, that one could sail off the end of it. Why? Because ships would leave, sail off towards the horizon and never come back, nor was any part of their ship ever found again.

If you “did” manage to make it back, they would simply say you didnt’ go far enough to reach the end which is the only reason you made it back alive — implying the danger of such expeditions and search for further knowledge on the subject. While holding on to such absolute theory might be self-sustaining, and somewhat malleable (at least until someone managed to sail completely around the world back to the point of origin), such absolute conclusions are also not remotely in the spirit of science OR learning in my opinion. Such “absolutes” most often occur/arise in the context of some political or cultural reasoning, cause, economic concern or debate, in which the objective is usually taking sides…not science or gaining knowledge. The fear only drives the point home: Yes, if you sail too far from home, (ie..see too much) you’ll fall off the edge of the earth, the earth will swallow you up and you’ll never return. You should not question what is before you because we have already determined the answer. It is before you only to accept it as truth (inconvenient as it is) and deal with it from there. Those that do question it…are trouble makers, deniers of science, etc. Yes, there is this great “world” concensus that we are all going to die if we don’t throttle down our economy (or, apparently as an alternative, buy energy offets). It will be, of course, “our” (US) fault should this happen —as it turns out, the world conensus on global warming is that it is Americans ..and things they do..that are the largest contributor to the cause of global warming.

Anytime you see scientists..arrogantly arguing for you to not look futher, and that doing so is only showing your own ignorance, that to test accepted conclusions was unforgiveable and puts you and the world at risk..etc…I think that should be your FIRST clue, that there is probably a LOT more information to be had by looking further into it.
If you read the second page of the first article, it also ironically points out many of the downfalls of the theory of the Sun heating up, and how things can be explained alternatively, using the same information given. It is also not possible to dismiss the greenhouse effect.
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Design: AlienSector.com