Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  
 

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 12-26-2007, 07:45 PM
DragoniteMistress's Avatar
DragoniteMistress Offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,086
Send a message via AIM to DragoniteMistress Send a message via Yahoo to DragoniteMistress
Default Re: December 25, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Skarmory View Post
...

666 means nothing. It's just three of the same consecutive number. The world didn't end on 111, 333, or 777, so I doubt the numbers mean anything. In fact, I don't think there is a such thing as an end of the world. Studies show extremely few signs of lifeforms in space--which means no aliens. And if there were aliens, there wouldn't be anywhere near enough for an Earthly invasion. Remember, movies like War of the Worlds are Science Fiction.
Well, the sun will burn out someday ^^; But that's so far from now. I really think global warming will catch up with us first if we continue our current actions.

I do believe in non-Earth lifeforms, not like humans, but life like plants perhaps on other planets. I mean, we haven't been farther than Jupiter I believe, so we have no idea what's outside our galaxy. How many other worlds can sustain life in our entire universe other than Earth? I'm sure the chances are slim, but with the billions of stars there has to be at least one planet around the same distance as the Earth to another star. In another galaxy, likely trillions of light-years away, but I'm sure we're not the only one.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12-26-2007, 10:34 PM
Treeky111's Avatar
Treeky111 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,002
Send a message via AIM to Treeky111
Default Re: December 25, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azumao View Post
666 meaning anti-Christ, which is a logical conclusion for the end of the world, but I still stick with what I said before.

And things like war of the worlds aren't COMPLETELY untrue or impossible. While I doubt anything along that storyline would happens, there's no way to flat out say aliens don't exist. The universe is infinite. There might not be lifeforms in our solar system, but they could be out there somewhere. Heck, we're here, who's to say we're the only ones? That's off topic, but I just felt the need to say it.
Good Point. That means its almost impossible for the whole world to end that day. It may wipe out the Christians but the Jews and them would be completely fine.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12-28-2007, 02:27 AM
fullmetal's Avatar
fullmetal Offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,833
Send a message via AIM to fullmetal
Default Re: December 25, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Skarmory View Post
...

666 means nothing. It's just three of the same consecutive number. The world didn't end on 111, 333, or 777, so I doubt the numbers mean anything. In fact, I don't think there is a such thing as an end of the world. Studies show extremely few signs of lifeforms in space--which means no aliens. And if there were aliens, there wouldn't be anywhere near enough for an Earthly invasion. Remember, movies like War of the Worlds are Science Fiction.
You are really ignorant let me tell you. There are more than likely other intelligent organisms out there. Its not like we are here because we are special or something. Remember the big bang made our universe. So there are probably more planets out there that have the same elemental balance as Earth does. Your studies are practically wrong. One of Jupiter's moons has an outer shell of frozen fresh water, underneath it there is an ocean of freshwater. Meaning bacterial life forms are there. SS you need to research these things before you make a fool of yourself.

Now based on religious things, there are a bunch of religions out there. Its just a belief, no one knows if there is a god or a Jesus. I think its all fictitious crap that some guy probably made up. I'm all for science, at least there is proof, cold hard proof that the sun is going to die out and so on. There isn't any proof that "god" is going to save us all. I don't want to offend anyone in anyway but I just think that the Earth will die out just like Mars did. The core will stop spinning, producing no kinetic energy, meaning no heat. The sun will burn out to be, what they call a dwarf star. The Earth won't be receiving enough heat energy drying it up. The Oceans will have already been evaporated into space by the time this has happened. This is supposivelly (sp?) all going to happen in the next 2 billion years.

Now the end of the Human Race is different. If you would look it up the Mayans think the human race will end on 12/25/12. A

This is how I look at it...The War on Terror. Will be made into World War III. Our next idiot of a president will probably keep us in Iraq and other areas around it. European allies will also stay in there, North Korea will more than likely nuke the west coast of the United States. Starting a Nuclear war. Ending the human race.

No one knows we'll just have to see.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12-29-2007, 08:27 PM
Exon Auxus's Avatar
Exon Auxus Offline
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: No.
Posts: 6,079
Send a message via AIM to Exon Auxus
Default Re: December 25, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
You are really ignorant let me tell you. There are more than likely other intelligent organisms out there. Its not like we are here because we are special or something. Remember the big bang made our universe. So there are probably more planets out there that have the same elemental balance as Earth does. Your studies are practically wrong. One of Jupiter's moons has an outer shell of frozen fresh water, underneath it there is an ocean of freshwater. Meaning bacterial life forms are there. SS you need to research these things before you make a fool of yourself.

Now based on religious things, there are a bunch of religions out there. Its just a belief, no one knows if there is a god or a Jesus. I think its all fictitious crap that some guy probably made up. I'm all for science, at least there is proof, cold hard proof that the sun is going to die out and so on. There isn't any proof that "god" is going to save us all. I don't want to offend anyone in anyway but I just think that the Earth will die out just like Mars did. The core will stop spinning, producing no kinetic energy, meaning no heat. The sun will burn out to be, what they call a dwarf star. The Earth won't be receiving enough heat energy drying it up. The Oceans will have already been evaporated into space by the time this has happened. This is supposivelly (sp?) all going to happen in the next 2 billion years.

Now the end of the Human Race is different. If you would look it up the Mayans think the human race will end on 12/25/12. A

This is how I look at it...The War on Terror. Will be made into World War III. Our next idiot of a president will probably keep us in Iraq and other areas around it. European allies will also stay in there, North Korea will more than likely nuke the west coast of the United States. Starting a Nuclear war. Ending the human race.

No one knows we'll just have to see.
Right, I'm ignorant but you barely touched on the details of my posts. xP

Also, the fresh water on Jupiter's moon basically has nothing to do with anything. Our knowledge says that all relevant like on Earth needs water to survive. If there were aliens, we have no idea what the chemical properties of their bodies are; therefore, we have no idea whether they require fresh water, making your point about the water on that moon void.

Don't tell me anything about the big bang. It's a theory, just like the religions we have. Until we have direct proof-which I haven't seen, which is the reason I'm making this point-then it's no more true than any other religion out there. Not only that, but not every single scientist, every single astronomer, every single geologist believes in the Big Bang. The people who made the religions that exist today tried to exert as much proof as they could to spread their beliefs. In fact, many people were forced into believing certain things, mainly because of war. Some nations, after conquering others, forced the enslaved and native populations to believe their beliefs. So in my eyes, just as you believe a God is "fictitious crap"(try "fictional"), I believe that the Big Bang is.

As for the core's energy-it doesn't provide as much energy to us as you think. As a matter of fact, most of it doesn't get through the mantle layer of the system. The solid metallic material in the Outer Core almost completely incases the liquid nickel and heat in the Inner Core. The majority of our heat is from the Sun. Continuous nuclear fission will most likely be the cause for the sun exploding in a couple billion years, which will mean curtains for Earth. But we don't know what will happen in the future before then. We don't even know if the human population with be existing. We don't know what scientific advances will occur in a billion years. That's a lot of time. By then we'll probably be off of this rock anyway.

Until then we're stuck living in the present, conducting our daily lives.

Oh, and don't call me ignorant again. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Smart guy...
If you don't like it, don't flame me, don't argue with me, don't even comment.
I should have said that the first time. Well I'm saying it now. Lol, in fact, in anyone has an opinion on my post just PM it to me, I porbably won't be coming back here. xP
__________________

Last edited by Exon Auxus; 12-29-2007 at 08:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12-29-2007, 08:42 PM
Professor Geoffrey's Avatar
Professor Geoffrey Offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: My laboratory.
Posts: 6,512
Send a message via AIM to Professor Geoffrey
Default Re: December 25, 2012

In my opinion, 06/06/06 is the beginning of the end of the world, a.k.a. Apocalypse, or Revalation. Though the turn of events in the Bible says that certain things happen at this time (and probably most of them haven't; I haven't read Revelation, let alone the Bible). But it's just my opinion, if you don't like it, don't flame me, don't argue with me, don't even comment. If you do like it, do whatever you want.

And, I thought it was 12/12/12, not 12/25/12. For some reason, my family believes that Russia will attack Isreal, Isreal wins, and that kicks off Armageddon. Once again, don't flame, argue, or comment it if you don't like it. This is a very serious topic, and there shouldn't be fighting. And don't flame the previous sentence either.

Also, Silver Skarmory, all things end. It may not be the way everyone thinks it will end. And seeing may be believing, but note that there are many things in this world that we can't see. And that isn't fantasy. Nor fiction.
__________________
❒ SINGLE ❒ TAKEN ✔ LAPRAS RIDER
The Professor of Pokémon Elite 2000.

Last edited by Professor Geoffrey; 12-29-2007 at 08:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 12-29-2007, 09:00 PM
Kenny_C.002's Avatar
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hina <3
Posts: 12,268
Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002
Default Re: December 25, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azumao View Post
666 meaning anti-Christ, which is a logical conclusion for the end of the world, but I still stick with what I said before.

And things like war of the worlds aren't COMPLETELY untrue or impossible. While I doubt anything along that storyline would happens, there's no way to flat out say aliens don't exist. The universe is infinite. There might not be lifeforms in our solar system, but they could be out there somewhere. Heck, we're here, who's to say we're the only ones? That's off topic, but I just felt the need to say it.
The universe is far from being infinite. Something that is infinite cannot be expanding/stretching, which is a well known fact of the universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Skarmory View Post
Also, the fresh water on Jupiter's moon basically has nothing to do with anything. Our knowledge says that all relevant like on Earth needs water to survive. If there were aliens, we have no idea what the chemical properties of their bodies are; therefore, we have no idea whether they require fresh water, making your point about the water on that moon void.

Don't tell me anything about the big bang. It's a theory, just like the religions we have. Until we have direct proof-which I haven't seen, which is the reason I'm making this point-then it's no more true than any other religion out there. Not only that, but not every single scientist, every single astronomer, every single geologist believes in the Big Bang. The people who made the religions that exist today tried to exert as much proof as they could to spread their beliefs. In fact, many people were forced into believing certain things, mainly because of war. Some nations, after conquering others, forced the enslaved and native populations to believe their beliefs. So in my eyes, just as you believe a God is "fictitious crap"(try "fictional"), I believe that the Big Bang is.
1. Having water on a moon simply means that it is possible to support life as we know it. It doesn't make that point any more void as your supposition that there are other lifeforms with different chemical compositions. Second, not all life on Earth need water to survive either.

2. "It's a theory" is not valid a way of saying something is "wrong". So far all evidences fit the Big Bang theory (plus inflation), and it has been useful in predictions about the universe, though I don't know enough Astrophysics to know wtf those people are talking about when it comes to predictions made by the Big Bang. It would be nice for you to get a PhD in astrophysics before you start speaking like an authority in it, though.

3. I don't even understand this "forceful religion" thing you're talking about. Since when did science ever force you to accept its ideas? Sure, you can point out bad science, but we already know they're bad science and not real science. Your beginning assumption (that science is a religion) is incorrect in the first place.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 12-29-2007, 09:14 PM
Smurf's Avatar
Smurf Offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: A Mushroom in the Smurf Forest
Posts: 1,544
Send a message via AIM to Smurf Send a message via MSN to Smurf Send a message via Yahoo to Smurf
Default Re: December 25, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni Raichu View Post
If the world didn't end on the Sixth Day Of The Sixth Month of 2006 then it won't end when you're saying it will.

666.
Where is your scientific basis for stating that?

I'm not expecting the world to end, but if it does it does. If you're a christian or some branch of chrisitanity, listen to Neo because you have nothing to fear about that date. It states in the Bible that we will not be able to predict when the end will come, like he says. So, it's obviously not the day where the world ends. But, like Orange Flaffy said, perhaps life as we know it?

I'm not a Christian nor part of any religion, organized religion is ridiculous. Even if I believed in a God I wouldn't claim to be part of a religion because many distort the teachings of their messia. Putting that aside, though, I have no intention of believing a prediction like that. I'll live life the best I can regardless of if the world is going to end or not.

What happens, happens.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 12-29-2007, 11:01 PM
fullmetal's Avatar
fullmetal Offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,833
Send a message via AIM to fullmetal
Default Re: December 25, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Skarmory View Post
Right, I'm ignorant but you barely touched on the details of my posts. xP

Also, the fresh water on Jupiter's moon basically has nothing to do with anything. Our knowledge says that all relevant like on Earth needs water to survive. If there were aliens, we have no idea what the chemical properties of their bodies are; therefore, we have no idea whether they require fresh water, making your point about the water on that moon void.

Actually, the fresh water on Jupiter's moons and the amount of sun light that it recieves can give enough energy to allow living bacterial lifeforms to be present on that moon. I wasn't talking about everything has to have the basic chemical structure for life as the one Earth does, I was using Jupiter's moon as an example that there can be other lifeforms out there. Also if they have the same basic structure as photo plankton does here on Earth. Don't you think there would be photo plankton on that moon. Makes sense heh.


Don't tell me anything about the big bang. It's a theory, just like the religions we have. Until we have direct proof-which I haven't seen, which is the reason I'm making this point-then it's no more true than any other religion out there. Not only that, but not every single scientist, every single astronomer, every single geologist believes in the Big Bang. The people who made the religions that exist today tried to exert as much proof as they could to spread their beliefs. In fact, many people were forced into believing certain things, mainly because of war. Some nations, after conquering others, forced the enslaved and native populations to believe their beliefs. So in my eyes, just as you believe a God is "fictitious crap"(try "fictional"), I believe that the Big Bang is.

The Big Bang actually makes more sense than majority of the religions out there. First lets start with "God" the almighty creature of everything.....Yeah where did he/she/it come from? Who gave birth to this "god?" Answer me those questions and i'll believe you and maybe believe in a religion. Since I am a science type of fella I enjoy to research this stuff. There are multiple universes out there. Due to the fact that every universe can't continue to expand. Its common sense I mean like c'mon you can only fill a balloon up with so much air. No one knows the answer but eventually we will, when you die we'll find out whats real and whats not.

As for the core's energy-it doesn't provide as much energy to us as you think. As a matter of fact, most of it doesn't get through the mantle layer of the system. The solid metallic material in the Outer Core almost completely incases the liquid nickel and heat in the Inner Core. The majority of our heat is from the Sun. Continuous nuclear fission will most likely be the cause for the sun exploding in a couple billion years, which will mean curtains for Earth. But we don't know what will happen in the future before then. We don't even know if the human population with be existing. We don't know what scientific advances will occur in a billion years. That's a lot of time. By then we'll probably be off of this rock anyway.

The core stops giving off energy we lose about 20% of our heat energy. Uhmm yeah dude thats a lot. Also the magnetic waves surrounding Earth, protecting us from solar flares givin' off from the sun, will disappear. About the billion year thing yes we do brother (hulk hogan voice). We know the rate of how much the sun grows a day, and in ROUGHLY 2 billion years it will hit its max and burn up the Earth. Uhmm meaning bye bye Earth, hello dead rock of iron and nickel. About the human population thing, we are probably just going to die out like any other species of animal did. Or some asteroid/great disaster will wipe us out.

Until then we're stuck living in the present, conducting our daily lives.

Oh, and don't call me ignorant again. :P



I should have said that the first time. Well I'm saying it now. Lol, in fact, in anyone has an opinion on my post just PM it to me, I probably won't be coming back here. xP
Well theres another rant by fullmetal. Kenny you are like an expert on this stuff, I really enjoy reading you posts about this kinda stuff :D

SS you are ignorant ;) Oh and you spelled probably wrong xD
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 12-29-2007, 11:13 PM
IT's Avatar
IT Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Finland
Posts: 2,957
Send a message via AIM to IT Send a message via MSN to IT
Default Re: December 25, 2012

End of the world will be the end of the world. If you live by waiting for the end of the world, you will live like everyday is your last day. If someone wants to pick a date when their world will end, please do. But I see absolutely no point in wasting time predicting the end of the world since it has been predicted so many times.

Also:

http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/foru...ighlight=world

http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/foru...ighlight=world

Congrats on the original thread idea, by the way.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 12-30-2007, 04:09 AM
Exon Auxus's Avatar
Exon Auxus Offline
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: No.
Posts: 6,079
Send a message via AIM to Exon Auxus
Default Re: December 25, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_C.002 View Post
The universe is far from being infinite. Something that is infinite cannot be expanding/stretching, which is a well known fact of the universe.



1. Having water on a moon simply means that it is possible to support life as we know it. It doesn't make that point any more void as your supposition that there are other lifeforms with different chemical compositions. Second, not all life on Earth need water to survive either.

2. "It's a theory" is not valid a way of saying something is "wrong". So far all evidences fit the Big Bang theory (plus inflation), and it has been useful in predictions about the universe, though I don't know enough Astrophysics to know wtf those people are talking about when it comes to predictions made by the Big Bang. It would be nice for you to get a PhD in astrophysics before you start speaking like an authority in it, though.

3. I don't even understand this "forceful religion" thing you're talking about. Since when did science ever force you to accept its ideas? Sure, you can point out bad science, but we already know they're bad science and not real science. Your beginning assumption (that science is a religion) is incorrect in the first place.

Just a few things. I said nothing about "forceful religion", I didn't say it was wrong because it's a theory-simply that it hasn't been completely proven, and I never said science tried to force me to accept its ideals.

Try again? :P
__________________

Last edited by Exon Auxus; 12-30-2007 at 04:16 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 12-30-2007, 05:54 PM
Smurf's Avatar
Smurf Offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: A Mushroom in the Smurf Forest
Posts: 1,544
Send a message via AIM to Smurf Send a message via MSN to Smurf Send a message via Yahoo to Smurf
Default Re: December 25, 2012

To back up Fullmetal, most atheists don't even understand why the Big Bang theory works and just assume it just does, which is ironic really. There is direct proof, but it is hard to understand.(Physics is a ***** that way.) Just like for many, Evolution is hard to understand. It's much more complicated than just "happened by chance." Yet, not enough people look into it to try and fully understand why science has these theories. SS, I'd love for you to even try explain to me fully why the theory of gravity works. :P

Moving on to what SilverSkarmory said. Do you know how much of the universe we've actually observed? How much, mind you, that we've JUST observed? From the distances we are at, we can only speculate on whether or not that planet can support life as we know it.(Carbon based life forms, need Oxygen, Carbon, Hydrogen, and Nitrogen to survive, etc.) That only means that these few hundred out of x number of planets(far more than the few hundred we've observed) are most likely not capable of supporting life like we have on Earth. Now, there are some that seem like they'd be perfectly capable while others(others being most) seemingly impossible.

Just because the few we've observed so far don't show signs doesn't mean anything, any logical person will tell you. There are an uncountable amount of galaxies with even more stars with planets than you can imagine. To think that not a single one is able to support life is ridiculous, even if we are a fluke planet. It's like Where's Waldo. He's there, we just haven't found him yet.

Last edited by Neo Emolga; 12-30-2007 at 08:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 12-30-2007, 11:38 PM
Arbok conquerer's Avatar
Arbok conquerer Offline
Experienced Trainer
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Team Rocket HQ of course
Posts: 232
Default Re: December 25, 2012

I don't see how a group of people can predict the end of the world thousands of years from now. Once again, like Y2K and 6/6/06 this theory probably rambled off of some fool's mouth who just wants to attract attention. Of course there's no way of predicting the future, but the odds off the end happening on this specific day are extremely low. And whwn this date passes someone will probably just make up a new end date with no proof whatsoever.
__________________
Thanks a bunch KDH. Now Team Rocket members all over can bow down to Giovanni's strength and magnifance. HAHAHAHHA. Also thanks to fefe31619 for the banner. Now resistance to Team Rocket is futile. Thanks to shiny loser for the avatar. In two days you will get a package with the uniform. Bow to Givonaii. MHAHAHAH




Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01-01-2008, 01:19 AM
Kenny_C.002's Avatar
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hina <3
Posts: 12,268
Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002
Default Re: December 25, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Skarmory View Post
Just a few things. I said nothing about "forceful religion", I didn't say it was wrong because it's a theory-simply that it hasn't been completely proven, and I never said science tried to force me to accept its ideals.

Try again? :P
Go back to Science 101 before you come talking to me.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01-01-2008, 05:16 PM
Exon Auxus's Avatar
Exon Auxus Offline
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: No.
Posts: 6,079
Send a message via AIM to Exon Auxus
Default Re: December 25, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_C.002 View Post
Go back to Science 101 before you come talking to me.
*sigh*...you came talking to me, Kenny...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-01-2008, 05:22 PM
Drift's Avatar
Drift Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Unova
Posts: 4,202
Default Re: December 25, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbok conquerer View Post
I don't see how a group of people can predict the end of the world thousands of years from now. Once again, like Y2K and 6/6/06 this theory probably rambled off of some fool's mouth who just wants to attract attention. Of course there's no way of predicting the future, but the odds off the end happening on this specific day are extremely low. And whwn this date passes someone will probably just make up a new end date with no proof whatsoever.
Yeah, I totally agree. :\ I couldn't have said it better myself, really...
__________________


Maybe back. Maybe not.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Design: AlienSector.com