Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: General Board

Pokemon: General Board General discussion about Pokemon in general. If the topic of your thread does not fall into the subjects in the other boards, post it there. In other words, everything else belongs here if it doesn't have a board of its own.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:58 AM
Archeopterix Offline

Default When playing pokemon...

When you play a pokemon game (casual gameplay, not competitive), do you ever switch up your party? It's an odd question to word, so I'll list some examples of what I mean. In the cartoon, Ash sometimes gives up pokemon and trains new ones in his team, like every time he starts a new journey(e.g. when he gives up Charizard or when he takes up Treecko). Myself though, in Crystal, I trained the same team of pokemon through the whole game. I just get attached to them and hate to set them aside and replace them with another pokemon. Usually to combat my wanting to train a team of different pokes, I just start a new game. But lately I've been considering what Ash does, and temporarily replacing some of my pokemon for others I'd like to train (e.g. ditching my Politoed and rasing a Kingler).

So I guess, I can't raise a pokemon and then deposit it when I find another pokemon I would prefer to raise, as much as I want to have that other pokemon in my party, instead I just start another game (on another cartridge). They're only data... but after I've had them in your party for so long I just find it hard to bring myself to replace the poor buggers.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I'm having trouble organizing my thoughts at the moment. I'm not talking about raising a team for competitive play, just casual gameplay. Do any of you experience this though?

Strong Pokemon. Weak Pokemon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites. - Karen
Old 12-10-2007, 04:38 AM
Evvy_18 Offline
Experienced Trainer

Default Re: When playing pokemon...

I most certainly keep the pokemon I become attached to. Especially now that you have the happiness factor, contests, etc. There's much more you can do with your pokemon, so they seem more life-like to me. They're like pets - I wouldn't trade the ones on my team for the world.

However, I am planning on making a separate team exclusively for battling on wifi. Why? Because some of the moves I really like (and need for contests) aren't meant for battling in competitive fights. Also, since I am a beginner at strategy in pokemon and haven't actually had a decent fight before, I'd rather not see my favorites get beat up.

I have worked so hard to get the perfect pokemon for my casual team. I bred for IV's, nature, and EV trained it myself. I spent hours of research learning about IV's, EV's, Natures, etc. And then I spent even MORE hours breeding for the perfect pokemon.

I finally got one - A female too. And if you haven't bred for a female with good stats and natures, you don't know what work is. There's no way I'm sticking my Jade back into the PC after that!

Mentor: Spinarak Craney
Gamename: Trina
Friend Code: 2320 4484 4015
Credit for my avatar goes to aragornbird from Arkeis.com
Credit goes to Joangaes for the awesome banner!
Old 12-10-2007, 04:51 AM
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Kat Send a message via MSN to Phantom Kat

Before when I only had my Yellow, I would just catch Pokemon I liked, stuff the other ones in the PC, and basically jsut switch back and forth. I would use Kadabra once and then switch to Hypno.

Now, though, I just can't bare to leave pokes in my PC if they have been with me for a long time. LOL Kinda silly but I always become attatched to them hence why you can find me giving them verbal orders whenever I play.

- Kat

(Banner by the epic Neo Pikachu) TAC Challenge: I'm learning Finnish! ^-^

My Author Profile | URPG Stats | Kat x Bryce
Old 12-10-2007, 05:08 AM
Gym Leader Ken Offline

When I think of putting pokemon into the PC, I think of them going to professor oaks "farm" and playing about. like in the anime. it makes putting them in the PC not bother me as bad. lol

Spiritomb ^_^

Old 12-10-2007, 05:11 AM
Andoryu Offline
Amateur Trainer

Yes, I do. I trade in Pokemon some of the time to find the perfect team made for battling.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:19 AM
Dragonblade Offline

I still feel guilty for trading my poor Zeypher (a Glacieon) for a Keyoger. I now have a shiney Glaceon, but he's not the same as my poor Zeypher.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:14 AM
Team Devastation Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Team Devastation Send a message via MSN to Team Devastation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonblade View Post
I still feel guilty for trading my poor Zeypher (a Glacieon) for a Keyoger. I now have a shiney Glaceon, but he's not the same as my poor Zeypher.
I know what you mean, putting a pokemon in the PC for a long time to train another makes you sad if you are attached to the pokemon.

~Jake

Old 12-10-2007, 06:57 AM
Elite Dialga Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archeopterix View Post
When you play a pokemon game (casual gameplay, not competitive), do you ever switch up your party? It's an odd question to word, so I'll list some examples of what I mean. In the cartoon, Ash sometimes gives up pokemon and trains new ones in his team, like every time he starts a new journey(e.g. when he gives up Charizard or when he takes up Treecko). Myself though, in Crystal, I trained the same team of pokemon through the whole game. I just get attached to them and hate to set them aside and replace them with another pokemon. Usually to combat my wanting to train a team of different pokes, I just start a new game. But lately I've been considering what Ash does, and temporarily replacing some of my pokemon for others I'd like to train (e.g. ditching my Politoed and rasing a Kingler).

So I guess, I can't raise a pokemon and then deposit it when I find another pokemon I would prefer to raise, as much as I want to have that other pokemon in my party, instead I just start another game (on another cartridge). They're only data... but after I've had them in your party for so long I just find it hard to bring myself to replace the poor buggers.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I'm having trouble organizing my thoughts at the moment. I'm not talking about raising a team for competitive play, just casual gameplay. Do any of you experience this though?

I understand your emotions about your pokemon, I feel pretty much in the same way sometimes, but come to think of it, when you put your pokemon in a PC its not as if your ditching it away, your simply leaving it for a while (Just like one's mom leaves him when she needs to get something from the market lets suppose ) so it doesn't actually feel lonely or depressed, technically speaking since its in a pokeball, IT WOULDN"T EVEN KNOW WHERE IT IS XD !!! and besides just keep in mind that its not like, the pokemon which are in your party ARE the only ones who like you, the ones in your PC are just as important and trust me.......They KNOW IT TOO.. so there's no harm in switching pokemon in your team, I hope this helped.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:48 AM
karma34 Offline
Experienced Trainer

Ya I train my original team to fully potential, then i switch one by one, once i have all the pokes i want trained to my liking i like to mix and match my teams. I have all my boxes listed as types so its all categorized on my FireRed (My game with a full dex...I got bored one day) and then the remaining boxes are for my teams at that time.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:59 AM
DemonicRaichu Offline
Experienced Trainer

Send a message via MSN to DemonicRaichu

Heh, when I first play through a game, I don't change a thing about my first six Pokemon unless something comes up - or they were only on my Team to help beat a Gym Leader. Or something I was waiting for (Like that little Riolu).
Otherwise, I have no qualms with mixing and matching after the Elite Four has been crushed; but I'd never separate my Team. They've done well together (They even managed to beat a team with a Palkia on it once, which was a casual battle challenge from a family member).

VPP: Raichu >> Complete: 310

.: I did my own Avatar and Banner | My VPP Stats :.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:07 PM
Elrond Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Elrond

I generally keep the same party pretty much throughout the game. One of the big reasons is that I train them A LOT, so when I get farther in the game, the wild Pokemon are all at way lower levels, and I can't be bothered to train Pokemon all over again.

I remember, back in the days of RBY, I never trained anything besides my starter, so when I caught stronger Pokemon, I would simply put the rest of my party in the PC, and replace them with the stronger Pokemon. Hence why my Party would be pretty much all legendaries by the end, because none of my other Pokemon would be strong enough to battle anymore.

Quote:
SotaOMG (10:05:46 PM): i think stunky is sexy
iamnotyou11 (10:05:54 PM): Soda stop being gay
supermonkey07@cox.net (10:06:03 PM): ironic statement?
<URPG>
I can probably take some grading requests now. But don't all rush me at once. :/
Old 12-10-2007, 07:57 PM
Archeopterix Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Devastation View Post
I know what you mean, putting a pokemon in the PC for a long time to train another makes you sad if you are attached to the pokemon.

~Jake
Yeah pretty much what I mean.

My situation:

I have my Crystal version and I've had the same pokemon throughout the game (I've got 10 badges now). They're Pidgeot, Typhlosion, Politoed, Gengar, Golem, and Heracross, in the order you can obtain their original evolution. Anyways, having made it to Kanto, I felt I wanted to train different pokemon. Maybe pick up a Krabby or Houndoor, you know? Execpt to train them I'd have to temporarily, or longer, give up one of my team.

My solution:

Get another game cartridge. :|

Strong Pokemon. Weak Pokemon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites. - Karen
Old 12-10-2007, 10:57 PM
Llama Commando Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Llama Commando

I only switch once I get my team to lv. 100 or a level specified earlier. I'll just decide to train one day and take a random team, raise them all to level X, deposit them, take out six more... you get the idea.

~Commando~

PE2K's Resident Michigan State Spartan
Old 12-10-2007, 11:05 PM
MagmarMan Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Before I start any new pokemon game, I always research what team I want to train. I have an idea and I'll figure out where to catch that pokemon and their movesets... all before I even start the game. After doing all of this, I usually don't replace my team members. I'm pretty careful to do a good job on researching prior.

On my Silver, I've ditched pokemon all of the time. I'll train them for a while and then never see them again. That was a while ago, now I'll usually train a pokemon all the way to Level 100 before I ditch them. I don't know how many different teams I've had on Silver!!
Banner By Me ^_^
Old 12-11-2007, 12:28 AM
karma34 Offline
Experienced Trainer

Being that I want it to seem as though the monsters i come upon are random, and to ensure that i always have a different team each time i start a new game i never plan before hand. once i have chosen if the monster will be in my party i will then research abilities/movesets