Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Interactive Center » Competitive Battling

Competitive Battling This board is for competitive battling discussion. Get team help or learn to play competitively.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:06 PM
EducatedOgre Offline
New Trainer

Exclamation First attempt at a competitive team for Pokemon Red

Hello everyone.

I have played Pokemon casually for several years now, yet have never really applied myself to picking a truly competitive team, for use both in the game and in friendly competitions. I am aware of the common movesets/Pokemon, and have a working knowledge of battling mechanics. However there are still many flaws in my methods and thinking. Ergo, this is why I am here. I aim to produce a team that can take on all-comers, while still being slightly more original than a Xerox Printer.

No changes are considered too big or too small. Feel free to speak your mind.

(Please note, with every Pokemon I have included a short explanation as to why I picked it, so that my reasoning, as well as my actual choices, can be evaluated. If you find this unnecessary, simply skip it)

Venusaur
- Body Slam
- Razor Leaf
- Swords Dance
- Sleep Powder

A good, if common opener. Sleep plus two attacks that can be potentially devastating if used correctly.

Lapras
- Surf
- Body Slam
- Ice Beam
- Confuse Ray

Potential parafusion, and good tanking ability. Also toyed with using a Starmie or a Slowbro instead, however, this seems as good, and slightly less popular.

Jolteon
- Thunderbolt
- Double Kick
- Pin Missile
- Thunderwave

Fast and deadly. Pin Missile and Double Kick can potentially surprise a lot of Pokemon who would not otherwise consider an Electric a threat. (Golem, Alakazam, etc) Also another paralysis source.

Golem
- Explosion
- Rock Slide
- Body Slam
- Earthquake

Fairly standard, I think. Get it out against something it can hurt and apply powerful physical attacks. Also, Explosion = Fun for all the family.

Tauros
- Blizzard
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- Hyper Beam

I know everyone and their Mum has one. But meh, does what it says on the tin really.

Hypno
- Counter
- Psychic
- Rest
- Thunderwave

Shamelessly stolen from someone else. But it's a special wall that isn't fat, pink, and carrying an egg. Rest and Counter can be a devastating, and unexpected combo.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:12 PM
PaPeRpLaNe Offline
Elite Trainer

Default Re: First attempt at a competitive team for Pokemon Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedOgre View Post
Hello everyone.

Dude, don't post a team if it isn't Competetive. And why the heck are you using Red? It's outdadted, clunky, has practically no Mons and moves, and can't do WiFi.

I can't even give a good moveset without applying them to another generation.

Venusaur
- Synthesis
- Energy Ball
- Stun Spore
- Sleep Powder

Not that great. Venasaurs hardly used. Double Powder. SP and then hit the switch with Stun Spore.

Lapras
Rest
Sleep Talk
Ice Beam
T-Bolt

Rest-talk+ Bolt-Beam

Jolteon
- Thunderbolt
- Baton pass
- Substitute
- Thunderwave

Golem
- Explosion
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

Tauros
- Iron Tail
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Return

Hypno
-Rest
-Hypnosis
- Thunderwave
-Light Scrren/Relfect

Dude. Don't run both of them together.

TTar and Scarf Cross annhialte this team.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:52 PM
Fire Away Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPeRpLaNe View Post
TTar and Scarf Cross annhialte this team.
Did you not read the first post?

Tyranitar and Scarfcross don't even exist in Red, and neither do half the moves you suggested.

Hi

Old 11-04-2007, 10:50 PM
PaPeRpLaNe Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Away View Post
Did you not read the first post?

Tyranitar and Scarfcross don't even exist in Red, and neither do half the moves you suggested.
I'm pretty sure I said this..

"Dude, don't post a team if it isn't Competetive. And why the heck are you using Red? It's outdated, clunky, has practically no Mons and moves, and can't do WiFi.

I can't even give a good moveset without applying them to another generation. "

Nobody uses Red anymore. You can't be competetive on Red if you have no one to fight with..
Old 11-04-2007, 11:10 PM
Fire Away Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPeRpLaNe View Post
I'm pretty sure I said this..

"Dude, don't post a team if it isn't Competetive. And why the heck are you using Red? It's outdated, clunky, has practically no Mons and moves, and can't do WiFi.

I can't even give a good moveset without applying them to another generation. "

Nobody uses Red anymore. You can't be competetive on Red if you have no one to fight with..
Go check Smogon.

RBY is still alive and kicking.

EDIT: Speaking of Smogon, you'd be better off posting this there. I don't really think there's anyone here (myself included) with a lot of knowledge about RBY's metagame.

Hi

Last edited by Fire Away; 11-04-2007 at 11:22 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:00 AM
Monkey Boy Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedOgre View Post
Hello everyone.

I have played Pokemon casually for several years now, yet have never really applied myself to picking a truly competitive team, for use both in the game and in friendly competitions. I am aware of the common movesets/Pokemon, and have a working knowledge of battling mechanics. However there are still many flaws in my methods and thinking. Ergo, this is why I am here. I aim to produce a team that can take on all-comers, while still being slightly more original than a Xerox Printer.

No changes are considered too big or too small. Feel free to speak your mind.

(Please note, with every Pokemon I have included a short explanation as to why I picked it, so that my reasoning, as well as my actual choices, can be evaluated. If you find this unnecessary, simply skip it)

Venusaur
- Body Slam
- Razor Leaf
- Swords Dance
- Sleep Powder

A good, if common opener. Sleep plus two attacks that can be potentially devastating if used correctly.

Lapras
- Surf
- Body Slam
- Ice Beam
- Confuse Ray

Potential parafusion, and good tanking ability. Also toyed with using a Starmie or a Slowbro instead, however, this seems as good, and slightly less popular.

Jolteon
- Thunderbolt
- Double Kick
- Pin Missile
- Thunderwave

Fast and deadly. Pin Missile and Double Kick can potentially surprise a lot of Pokemon who would not otherwise consider an Electric a threat. (Golem, Alakazam, etc) Also another paralysis source.

Golem
- Explosion
- Rock Slide
- Body Slam
- Earthquake

Fairly standard, I think. Get it out against something it can hurt and apply powerful physical attacks. Also, Explosion = Fun for all the family.

Tauros
- Blizzard
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- Hyper Beam

I know everyone and their Mum has one. But meh, does what it says on the tin really.

Hypno
- Counter
- Psychic
- Rest
- Thunderwave

Shamelessly stolen from someone else. But it's a special wall that isn't fat, pink, and carrying an egg. Rest and Counter can be a devastating, and unexpected combo.

Do the mew glitch on our base website not the fourm

Hatch: 533
Pikachu: 578

Done: 818

[br]Click here to feed me a Poke'Block![br] Get your own Poke'plush/Pokemon at Prof. Oaks Lab in Pallet Town! !

^ www.Pokeplushies.com ^