Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Games » First & Second Generations

First & Second Generations Discuss the first and second generation games: Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver and Crystal.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:12 AM
espenn Offline
New Trainer

Default Is this possible?

After beating Bugsy and the rival in Pokemon Silver I went into the forest... and there I met a green Zubat (which I accidently killed ) is there possible to get green Zubats in Pokemon Silver or was it a glitch?
for I must prevail!
Old 10-04-2007, 12:34 AM
EmBreon Offline
Killjoy

Send a message via AIM to EmBreon Send a message via MSN to EmBreon
Default Re: Is this possible?

That's called a shiny. Every Pokemon comes in a different "shiny" color, and there's a 1 in 8192 chance that you'll encounter it in its shiny form. It's completely random; chances are slim that you'll come across another one. ^^; Keep a look out though.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:41 AM
skate4242 Offline
Banned

wait there is shiny pokemon in the older games
Old 10-04-2007, 12:44 AM
EmBreon Offline
Killjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by skate4242 View Post
wait there is shiny pokemon in the older games
In G/S/C: Yes. In R/B/Y: No.

Shiny Pokemon first appeared with the release of the second generation.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:46 PM
espenn Offline
New Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmBreon View Post
That's called a shiny. Every Pokemon comes in a different "shiny" color, and there's a 1 in 8192 chance that you'll encounter it in its shiny form. It's completely random; chances are slim that you'll come across another one. ^^; Keep a look out though.
Oh... are there any difference in it except the color? Of course I had to use thundershock, and not thunderwave :| life's unfair... Well, I won't keep looking, I met it at random, and that shall happen again :P just 8192 more pokemon to fight :D umm... I have fought more, but never met shiny ones :P Gyarados is the only one (if the Red Gyarados can be considered shiny in this way).
for I must prevail!
Old 10-05-2007, 07:35 AM
EmBreon Offline
Killjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by espenn View Post
Oh... are there any difference in it except the color? Of course I had to use thundershock, and not thunderwave :| life's unfair... Well, I won't keep looking, I met it at random, and that shall happen again :P just 8192 more pokemon to fight :D umm... I have fought more, but never met shiny ones :P Gyarados is the only one (if the Red Gyarados can be considered shiny in this way).
Nope, they're nothing special other than the fact that they are an unusual color. And yes, that Gyarados is a shiny. You can check out this site if you want to know the shiny color form of each Pokemon.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:16 PM
Cool Kid 94 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

In G/S/C, they have a higher chance of being shiny, needing a certain set of DVs. Also, I think shiny Pokemon learn lvl-up moves earlier in G/S/C.
FC: 3480 1334 4941

Pokemon WiFi Region
The only thing special about these forums anymore is the Chatbox.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:38 PM
ReclusiveDemon Offline

Send a message via AIM to ReclusiveDemon Send a message via MSN to ReclusiveDemon Send a message via Skype™ to ReclusiveDemon

Shiny Pokemon learning moves sooner in G/S/C, to the best of my knowledge and game play, is just another common fake the flies around the internet, much like the fake about how "Shiny Pokemon are stronger than Normal Pokemon."

All you get with a Shiny is a rare coloured Pokemon. There are some Pokemon that have a Shiny colour which people adore (such as the Onyx coloured Charizard, the Red Gyarados, and the Crimson Blazkien) and consider "must-haves", but otherwise Shiny's are just a lot of work (unless you have a Gameshark) and have no added benefit other than you getting praise from friends.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:50 PM
zukirin Offline

Actually in GSC, being shiny means it is stronger, because to be shiny it needs a specific no. of IV's/DV's to be above a certaian number ( I think 20ish). So yeah technically they are stronger (in GSC that is).

Refresh the page to see this sig change
Old 10-05-2007, 07:49 PM
EmBreon Offline
Killjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Kid 94 View Post
In G/S/C, they have a higher chance of being shiny, needing a certain set of DVs. Also, I think shiny Pokemon learn lvl-up moves earlier in G/S/C.
The odds are the same, and the move learning issue has already been addressed.

There are 16 different DV's (0-15), so you have a 1 in 16 chance of that Pokemon having that particular DV. For the Attack DV, you have an 8 and 16 (or 1 in 2) chance of the Pokemon having any of the necessary DV's.

So calculating it: 1:16:16:16:2 which would equal a 1:8192 chance of that particular Pokemon being shiny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukirin View Post
Actually in GSC, being shiny means it is stronger, because to be shiny it needs a specific no. of IV's/DV's to be above a certaian number ( I think 20ish). So yeah technically they are stronger (in GSC that is).
Not really. The DV's required for a shiny Pokemon in G/S/C are a Speed DV of 10, Special DV of 10, Defense DV of 10, and an Attack DV of 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14 or 15. The HP DV will be either 0 or 8 as it is determined by the other DV's.

Basically, shiny Pokemon will be just average considering they will never be able to achieve max stats, but if you get an 11 or 15 DV for your Attack, that will make your HP 8, putting it a bit above average. In retrospect to your average Pokemon, a shiny is on the same level.

Last edited by EmBreon; 10-05-2007 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:25 PM
Llama Commando Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Llama Commando

I feel sorry for you man. If I found out all this after I took out a shiny anything I would be so mad! Good luck searching though, you deserve to find another one, after all you didn't know. I wish the only shiny I ever got wasn't the Red Gyarados.

PE2K's Resident Michigan State Spartan
Old 12-05-2007, 04:56 PM
Gym Leader Ken Offline

The last shiny I came across was in crystal years ago..
It was a shiny abra...
that was pointless....

Spiritomb ^_^

Old 12-08-2007, 04:14 AM
Sauske8x Offline
Experienced Trainer

Wow that sucks, the first shiny I ever encountered was just about the most impossible shiny encounter ever, it was a shiny raikou in my crystal game way way back in the day......un-fortunatly I had just started the game and didnt even know what a raikou was...so it being way higher a lv then anything I had there was no chance of me getting it. Beleve me if you want but it happened.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:17 PM
Pikachu_Two_Trainer Offline
Elite Trainer

Wow, that blows. If I ever saw another shiney, ( I have two) I would most likly proceed to run around the house sceaming yes!.

I have a method of catch ing a shiney. Save in one spot of grass, and battle 9000 pokemon. One of them is guranteed to be a shiney.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:57 PM
Royal_Nidoking Offline

Even if you battle 8191 times, that still doesn't mean you'll get a shiny next battle.
If you happen to have a Shiny Ditto, if you breed there's a 50-50 chance it will be shiny.*EDIT* Sorry, that's not right. Shiny Ditto only have that shiny effect in G/S/C.
And in Crystal Which I don't have, The "Odd Egg" has also a 50-50 chance of being shiny.

Last edited by Royal_Nidoking; 01-08-2008 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Re-do something untrue.