Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Entertainment

Entertainment For non-Pokemon related discussion, talk about other TV shows, movies, music, books, sports and more!

Old 09-29-2007, 12:13 AM
Tamer Marco Offline
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Tamer Marco Send a message via AIM to Tamer Marco Send a message via MSN to Tamer Marco Send a message via Yahoo to Tamer Marco
Default Re: Halo 3.....T-minus eight days and counting! Thoughts? Opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowLink View Post

And, Marco, I have no problem with not speaking to you. If you're going to reject me because you don't want to hear me talking about a video game, thats just fine with me.

Trust me, I'm not calling Halo 3 the perfect game, but I do get pretty angry when people fail to see something good when it's right in front of them.

Seriously, if the game sucked so much, why does it have so many fans? It's because it's good. Sorry for being harsh, but I felt something had to be said.
lol, the not speaking to anyone was a joke. And I do realize that Halo 3 is good, but most of the people on this forum are intelligent (mostly) enough to realize that it isn't the perfect game, and doesn't need as much hype as it's gotten.

To me, the campaign did suck, yes, but multi is fun.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:17 AM
Hypocrisy is Fun Offline

Send a message via AIM to Hypocrisy is Fun

You can't stop hype. More fans = more hype. No matter what happens, the number of fans determines the hype level, and it turns out the Halo trilogy has a lot more than many.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:25 AM
Tamer Marco Offline
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Tamer Marco Send a message via AIM to Tamer Marco Send a message via MSN to Tamer Marco Send a message via Yahoo to Tamer Marco

You still have to realize that Halo is backed by the devil, Microsoft. The true hype is more or less simple marketing, and enough to attract more non-gamers and people that wouldn't normally play the game. Thats why normal mode on Halo 3 was so damn easy, because it was made for people that sucked at it. So maybe it will break every gaming record that ever existed (;/) but the majority of the people that buy it aren't buying it because they're fans, its because they fell for the trap.

Microsoft must of gotten a great deal on olive green plastic...
Old 09-29-2007, 12:28 AM
Hypocrisy is Fun Offline

That excuse isn't going to work. I'm almost positive that a non-gamer isn't going to start with a rated M game, or a 3rd installment of a game. It just doesn't work that way. Plus, why would a non gamer buy a 360 when they can go out and be like their friends. Casual gaming is owned by the Wii right now. The hype comes from fans more than anything.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:47 AM
OrexxerO Offline
Master Trainer

Quote:
But am I the only one who is doing bad in multi? :-/. I know I wasn't the best at Halo 2, but I wasn't bad either ... meh, I guess I'll just have to get used to it. It just seems like I swing my gun ... and then die.
I understand what you mean. It probably has a few small bugs they need to work out and balancing.

They had to tweek many things with Halo 2 before it became really optimal gameplay.

I also was phenomonally good at Halo 2, and I find myself lacking in Halo 3....seems like your reflexes to respond are slower in the game.

And I found the campaign quite good, soundtrack was mind blowing, especially with surround sound.

Marco, the campaign is only easy on..well....easy or normal. I beat it on Heroic, and out of all of the halo games, Halo 3 gave me the most intense gameplay for about a solid hour I have probably ever seen in a game(except for maybe ninja gaiden).

Its a great game, and no its not perfect, but no game is. Bio shock was supposedly "awsome" but to me its just Farcry under water, the plotline pretty much made it seem like that. And also put back in the 1960's.

And the "record" the game broke was the most sales within a 24 hour period in history. 170 million dollars in the first 24 hours. Probably over that by much now. And it has also already been given awards from most game reviewers, including a "gold award" for the first time by one group in particular.

Its a outstanding game, its music definately is second to none. I can't tell you guys how much energy corses through you with the outstanding music. Especially the last levels music...oh my hell that was awsome.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:42 PM
ZiVixx Offline

Send a message via AIM to ZiVixx Send a message via MSN to ZiVixx Send a message via Yahoo to ZiVixx

I have beaten it on legendary already, I cried in the end. My social life has became Halo 3. My girlfriend wonders what's so special about the game. My personal opinion of the game is 10/10. They doubled the wepons. The graphics have been updated to almost like your master chief looking through his goggles. Storyline is so in depth. BioShock had a great one, but after playing through on Halo, it was just so amazing. Bungie will continue to Kick *** for many many more years!
Old 09-30-2007, 09:36 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

Quote:
That excuse isn't going to work. I'm almost positive that a non-gamer isn't going to start with a rated M game, or a 3rd installment of a game. It just doesn't work that way. Plus, why would a non gamer buy a 360 when they can go out and be like their friends. Casual gaming is owned by the Wii right now. The hype comes from fans more than anything.
And the non-gamer demographic doesn't include Halo 3's target audience. That should be the main point. It's people like me that they haven't captured yet that they need to. Halo 3 is a game in the a mature genre (FPS), and thus unless you've been on the ride for a long time, it will be difficult to deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrexxerO View Post
I understand what you mean. It probably has a few small bugs they need to work out and balancing.

They had to tweek many things with Halo 2 before it became really optimal gameplay.
Take it from Blizzard: balancing after a game's release is a pain in the butt. Bungie's lucky in some ways that the 360 allows for patches. Otherwise, the game couldn't be tweaked.

Quote:
And I found the campaign quite good, soundtrack was mind blowing, especially with surround sound.
I'd imagine that they have a very epic soundtrack. From what I've heard, the only soundtrack to ever beat them are those that has a soundtrack that is significant to storyline (like Ar Tonelico), or so classic that it's defined epic (like Final Fantasy). They did a nice job with it.

Quote:
Its a great game, and no its not perfect, but no game is. Bio shock was supposedly "awsome" but to me its just Farcry under water, the plotline pretty much made it seem like that. And also put back in the 1960's.
Has NOBODY heard of System Shock 2 or something? To put it blatantly: Bioshock = System Shock 2 with a better storyline. Unfortunately, Bioshock's storyline is so above and beyond most FPS players' capacity to understand, that it is often equated with something weaker. Bioshock, in essence, is the first FPS game in this mature genre to EVER possibly convert non-FPS players into playing an FPS, which is why Bioshock's difficulty is justified.

Quote:
And the "record" the game broke was the most sales within a 24 hour period in history. 170 million dollars in the first 24 hours. Probably over that by much now. And it has also already been given awards from most game reviewers, including a "gold award" for the first time by one group in particular.

Its a outstanding game, its music definately is second to none. I can't tell you guys how much energy corses through you with the outstanding music. Especially the last levels music...oh my hell that was awsome.
I seriously doubt that it can beat the all-time high in terms of money making (tetris wins by several million miles still), but it's definitely impressive on Bungie's resume. Another thing is that Bungie is now a massive name (and not just a big name), they are essentially one of the authorities in FPS; they can call the shots, and make money just by having "From the creators of Halo" on the packaging. Not bad for releasing a trilogy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiVixx View Post
I have beaten it on legendary already, I cried in the end. My social life has became Halo 3. My girlfriend wonders what's so special about the game. My personal opinion of the game is 10/10. They doubled the wepons. The graphics have been updated to almost like your master chief looking through his goggles. Storyline is so in depth. BioShock had a great one, but after playing through on Halo, it was just so amazing. Bungie will continue to Kick *** for many many more years!
Yeah I can relate to that. There has been RPG series that took me around for a rather wild ride and didn't let go. Strangely enough, it's usually the storyline that is the captivating factor. There is one concern though...it seems like the single player campaign is rather short.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:10 AM
Fire Pkmn Master Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Has anyone here tried getting some skulls?
I was in campaign with an online friend because he was going to do it so I was like whynot.

.::F.P.M::.

done: 6448

:Graphics Shop:
Banner+Avi by Joangaes

Old 10-02-2007, 12:05 AM
Hypocrisy is Fun Offline

I don't get it Kenny, are you perhaps agreeing with me? :o

Single player isn't that short, especially on legendary. Sure it can't compare to 40 hour RPG's, but online multiplayer and unlock ables help out there.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:04 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

Quote:
I don't get it Kenny, are you perhaps agreeing with me? :o

Single player isn't that short, especially on legendary. Sure it can't compare to 40 hour RPG's, but online multiplayer and unlock ables help out there.
I was expanding on what you said, actually.

As for RPG's vs. FPS's, there isn't online multiplayer in an RPG for good reason. I don't think it's that fair to compare lengths of different genres anyway. What we can compare, however, is the interest. The RPG demographic is much smaller than the FPS demographic in NA (the opposite is true in Japan). Given that information, the easiest way to get one demographic to join the other is to have a transition stage. I think Bioshock is the closest thing to it.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:16 AM
skate4242 Offline
Banned

that game us amazing and it is already out
Old 10-03-2007, 05:45 AM
OrexxerO Offline
Master Trainer

Quote:
Take it from Blizzard: balancing after a game's release is a pain in the butt. Bungie's lucky in some ways that the 360 allows for patches. Otherwise, the game couldn't be tweaked.
Yeah, I played Warcraft 3 from the start(well, TFT that is). And the amount of patches they did for tweeking the game took years. Made the game a bit better over the years of playing it though.

One thing bungie does that kind of creeps me out is the alternate reality games it plays.

IF you want a example of the "mysteries" they did for Halo 2 just go to www.ilovebees.com to see what I mean. You will see what looks to be a regular site, then this black message will come on with a countdown timer. Counting down to the ACTUAL time, date, and day that Master Chief awakes from cryo sleep in the first halo.

And other things on the site.

Bungie has always been kind of creepy that way.

Quote:
I have beaten it on legendary already, I cried in the end. My social life has became Halo 3. My girlfriend wonders what's so special about the game. My personal opinion of the game is 10/10.
I agree with you all the way man. The game ended in such a way that I also shed a tear, even though it isn't real, if you have read the books and followed Johns life from his very beginning, all this crap he had to ender and you think he died at the end....but then he still isn't done by how he "watch out spoiler" is drifting towards some planet at the end(presumably marathon, and that he is the marathin protaganist).

Hmm, wonder if we will ever know.

Oh, and if you want to get the 13th skull just ask me. will PM you instructions.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:14 AM
Dr Scott Offline
Vanilla Bear

Send a message via AIM to Dr Scott Send a message via MSN to Dr Scott Send a message via Yahoo to Dr Scott Send a message via Skype™ to Dr Scott

Honestly, I never got that caught up in the storyline. Sure, the Flood creeps the heck out of me and it's pretty cool, but I never got as involved as I was in KOTOR or FFX or things of that nature.

For me it was all about the multi-play and getting as many kills as possible XP. I'm finally getting better at it, whether more used to it or less used to GoW, however you want to look at it.

BTW, if any of you cats have online multiplayer, check out my thread. Getting some PE2K people together to play :o.

"God, my brilliance is now somewhat of a burden. Get back to me."
Old 10-03-2007, 04:29 PM
OrexxerO Offline
Master Trainer

Scott im not in PE2K but im a Lieutenant already in halo and pretty good at teamslayer games. sooo, wouldn't mind playing with you guys.

But Scott, people say halo doesn't have a very deep story, only because it doesn't jump right into their faces and show them exactly whats going on. You actually have to do some thinking and figure out things for yourself.

I delved into the whole "forerunner" thing trying to figure them out, and also where exactly did the flood come from? Were they a freak lab experiment gone wrong? Or some creature from beyond the galaxy that consumed one already and ran into the Forerunners attempting to do the same to our galaxy?

Its also interesting to listen to what the gravemind says. At the end when halo is self destructing it says something like this:

"Defeat is only a addition to a sentence I never deserved but you imposed.". And other things it says.

PLus those terminals if you look around on The Ark level, the Covenant level, and there is a hidden one on the last level.

I did get rather involved in the KOTOR games as well. Those were some mysterious games. I could never figure KOTOR II out completely. That was one intricately woven game.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:52 AM
Hypocrisy is Fun Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_C.002 View Post
I was expanding on what you said, actually.

As for RPG's vs. FPS's, there isn't online multiplayer in an RPG for good reason. I don't think it's that fair to compare lengths of different genres anyway. What we can compare, however, is the interest. The RPG demographic is much smaller than the FPS demographic in NA (the opposite is true in Japan). Given that information, the easiest way to get one demographic to join the other is to have a transition stage. I think Bioshock is the closest thing to it.
I didn't exactly mean to compare the two genres, just trying to sort of point out pros and cons in the story area.