Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  
 

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Entertainment

Entertainment For non-Pokemon related discussion, talk about other TV shows, movies, music, books, sports and more!


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 09-19-2007, 09:33 AM
Dr Scott's Avatar
Dr Scott Offline
Vanilla Bear
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Behind you.
Posts: 6,277
Send a message via AIM to Dr Scott Send a message via MSN to Dr Scott Send a message via Yahoo to Dr Scott Send a message via Skype™ to Dr Scott
Default Re: Halo 3.....T-minus eight days and counting! Thoughts? Opinions?

The only problem is that there is no way you can't back up what you're saying. No one can say a game, movie, whatever is the best unless everyone in the world agrees.

Why? Because it's an opinion. Plus, you can't really say that until the game is actually out xD. It's like saying the food of a restaurant isn't good 'cus you didn't like the shrimp that another chain in Florida made.

Basically what I'm saying is that you basically just backed up my opinion in some form xD. You've admitted it's a good game, but there's no way to say it's not the best because that's an opinion. It can be the best to one person and not to another.

Arguing opinons is pointless ^_^.

Which is probably why I stay away from the Other Discussion xD
__________________

"God, my brilliance is now somewhat of a burden. Get back to me."

Last edited by Dr Scott; 09-19-2007 at 09:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09-19-2007, 09:39 AM
Cybernetic Ghost's Avatar
Cybernetic Ghost Offline
Elite Trainer
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 951
Default Re: Halo 3.....T-minus eight days and counting! Thoughts? Opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScottMan View Post
The only problem is that there is no way you can't back up what you're saying. No one can say a game, movie, whatever is the best unless everyone in the world agrees.

Why? Because it's an opinion. Plus, you can't really say that until the game is actually out xD. It's like saying the food of a restaurant isn't good 'cus you didn't like the shrimp that another chain in Florida made.

Basically what I'm saying is that you basically just backed up my opinion in some form xD. You've admitted it's a good game, but there's no way to say it's not the best because that's an opinion. It can be the best to one person and not to another.

Arguing opinons is pointless ^_^.

Which is probably why I stay away from the Other Discussion xD
I was half attempted to just say, these pretzels are making me thirsty to see how many people would get how badly I changed topics, but eh.

I never stated I was arguing facts. Halo is a decent game in general, and a good fps compared to the others on 360, but eh. Story lacks, which is generally what I look for in a game. The multiplayer is nice, but I'll stick to CS, and probably Gears if this doesn't beat it out.
__________________

yes.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-19-2007, 09:44 AM
Dr Scott's Avatar
Dr Scott Offline
Vanilla Bear
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Behind you.
Posts: 6,277
Send a message via AIM to Dr Scott Send a message via MSN to Dr Scott Send a message via Yahoo to Dr Scott Send a message via Skype™ to Dr Scott
Default Re: Halo 3.....T-minus eight days and counting! Thoughts? Opinions?

Fair enough XP.

The only problem with basing a FPS game on its story is that the story usually isn't that long. Multi is what really adds the replayability. Take a look at Goldeneye, one of the original greats. It was fun becuase you could get a group of friends, rush for Oddjob (XD) and then go to a SLAP WAR !

Story wise though, Prey wasn't that bad, and it had a lot of innovation. Half Life 2 was of course great ... But they never really reached the height of popularity of Halo 2, and I don't think it was because they were just underlooked ^^;.

Though I'm getting off topic :(.
__________________

"God, my brilliance is now somewhat of a burden. Get back to me."
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-19-2007, 06:30 PM
Seawolf's Avatar
Seawolf Offline
I has a stik
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Illium
Posts: 10,894
Send a message via AIM to Seawolf
Default Re: Halo 3.....T-minus eight days and counting! Thoughts? Opinions?

I never said I did not like Halo, I just happen to like other shooters a bit better.

However, my brothers have already reserved the game, and I will be trying it out... if they can ever break away from that thing for ten minutes.

I have also heard plenty of rumors going around that Master Chief is going to kick the bucket, and I want to see if that really happens or not.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 09-19-2007, 09:12 PM
Tamer Marco Offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: i did it 4 teh lulz
Posts: 6,541
Send a message via ICQ to Tamer Marco Send a message via AIM to Tamer Marco Send a message via MSN to Tamer Marco Send a message via Yahoo to Tamer Marco
Default Re: Halo 3.....T-minus eight days and counting! Thoughts? Opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybernetic Ghost View Post
One hit combo. Would Full to Zero have made you happier, because I'm pretty sure my point got across either way.

Theres a league for card games. Theres professional Smash players. The best Starcraft player makes over 200k a year.
That is what you call insanity.
Am I saying its a BAD game?

No.

Am I saying its as great as everyone makes it out to be? God no. Its overrated, and THATS what I'm trying to get across. Its like FF7, as I said earlier. FF7 is a GREAT game, but in the end, it gets more attention then other FF games by far, when 9, and APPARENTLY 6(can't say for myself, never owned it), are far superior. The things that made 7 shine were done better in later installments, but 7 still gets the most recognition. I mean, I LOVED 7, for its time. I STILL love 7, but I'd rather play 9 or 10 usually.

In the end, yeah. Halo 3 is going to sell well, and probably get decent/good ratings, but it ISN'T the best fps, and thats what I'm trying to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScottMan
The only problem with basing a FPS game on its story is that the story usually isn't that long. Multi is what really adds the replayability. Take a look at Goldeneye, one of the original greats. It was fun becuase you could get a group of friends, rush for Oddjob (XD) and then go to a SLAP WAR !
Never played GoldenEye, but it was revolutionary.

Story wise though, Prey wasn't that bad, and it had a lot of innovation. Half Life 2 was of course great ... But they never really reached the height of popularity of Halo 2, and I don't think it was because they were just underlooked ^^;.
It was honestly. And both of them are third party, so advertising and viral videos, and all of that are completely up to the publisher. Bungie (the people who make Halo) are owned by Microsoft, and Halo being the flagship title, why wouldn't you invest more time and information into it?

Though I'm getting off topic :(.
Like I said, Halo 3 will be good, and if I had Live, I'd still own you all (any shooter really), but there are going to be better things coming out this year, and they won't sell worth a damn because Halo is coming out.

I would get Call Of Duty 4 first, if it isn't delayed.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 09-19-2007, 09:51 PM
OrexxerO's Avatar
OrexxerO Offline
Master Trainer
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 383
Default Re: Halo 3.....T-minus eight days and counting! Thoughts? Opinions?

Quote:
I'm aware of Master Chiefs name. I read the first book. Im aware of the Flood, im aware of the types of Covenant, I'm aware of more then you think I am. I have friends who own the game, therefore, I've played the game. Thinking I've played it "once or twice"? My friend was one of the best players in Florida, and I've played the game plenty of times, as next to smash, its probably my most played multiplayer counsel game. Its still not that great of a game. Story isn't that great in the main game, and the multiplayer is just as imbalanced as Smash.

How about you know what YOUR talking about, before you try to criticize me, kay?
How about you say what you just said the first time around and you wouldn't get criticized?

But anyways ghost, I understand its overhyped, that doesn't mean it won't be good. Its replayability is amazing, alot of competition to be had among friends in co-op. And they are bringing some older maps back from Halo 1 like Sidewinder I believe.

About Half Life 2. It was a good game, DANG ravenholme scared me. And I have played Doom 3.

Anyways, one thing that I didn't actually like about Half Life 2 was the lack of any really good music. I can't recall one song from that game. Sure its not all about the music, but one reason I enjoyed Halo and Halo 2 so much was the music. It has some of the BEST music in a game I have ever heard. Alot of it really gets your adrenaline pumping. The new music sounds really good as well.

Thought I would throw that out there, I think a good part of a game in how it feels is the way the music is in it. Half Life two I understand was more a bleak atmosphere and was supposed to be depressing, but I still felt it was lacking a variety of terrain and things to do.
__________________

Last edited by OrexxerO; 09-19-2007 at 09:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 09-19-2007, 10:07 PM
Cybernetic Ghost's Avatar
Cybernetic Ghost Offline
Elite Trainer
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 951
Default Re: Halo 3.....T-minus eight days and counting! Thoughts? Opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrexxerO View Post
How about you say what you just said the first time around and you wouldn't get criticized?

But anyways ghost, I understand its overhyped, that doesn't mean it won't be good. Its replayability is amazing, alot of competition to be had among friends in co-op. And they are bringing some older maps back from Halo 1 like Sidewinder I believe.

About Half Life 2. It was a good game, DANG ravenholme scared me. And I have played Doom 3.

Anyways, one thing that I didn't actually like about Half Life 2 was the lack of any really good music. I can't recall one song from that game. Sure its not all about the music, but one reason I enjoyed Halo and Halo 2 so much was the music. It has some of the BEST music in a game I have ever heard. Alot of it really gets your adrenaline pumping. The new music sounds really good as well.

Thought I would throw that out there, I think a good part of a game in how it feels is the way the music is in it. Half Life two I understand was more a bleak atmosphere and was supposed to be depressing, but I still felt it was lacking a variety of terrain and things to do.
Why should I have needed to state that the first time around. I wouldn't throw my opinion into something that I don't know anything about.

Music dosn't matter to me MUCH on games anymore. Unless theres alot of lines spoken important to the plot, I play my own music tbh. And even if there is important dialouge, I play my music on multiple run throughs. Nothing greater then Morrowind with the white album tbh.
__________________

yes.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 09-20-2007, 12:02 AM
Kenny_C.002's Avatar
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hina <3
Posts: 12,268
Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002
Default Re: Halo 3.....T-minus eight days and counting! Thoughts? Opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowLink View Post
I know what innovative means, Halo has brought a lot of new ideas to FPS, such as it's multi-player.
Multi-player was brought in by good ol' goldeneye. Halo expanded it to online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowLink View Post
Sure, every Halo game has had multi-player, but every time something really different gets added. How many first person shooters have four player co-op? Or how often do you see online ranking like Halo's? Halo redefined the FPS genre, and I'm sure the last installment isn't going to stop there.
Rankings have been done on many different games before it already. Leaderboards started with good ol' Arcades after all. This isn't anything new either. 4-player co-op: if that's an "innovation", then I seriously think someone needs to get their heads checked. Co-op has been around for so long, that simply expanding on it isn't innovation. The problem with Halo is that it never did anything new. It brings rehashes of old ideas and expands on them, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but isn't exactly genre defining either. And from the weapons arsenal I've seen so far, there isn't going to be anything that's going to wow me anytime soon, especially when crazy summons and what not excite me more than a new gun or a bubble shield.

Innovation is by doing something that is completely uncharacteristic of a genre. MMORPG's redefined RPGs online (and unfortunately also created grinding). Persona changed the RPG genre by adding daily simulations and performed the mix perfectly. Fire Emblem created the sRPG genre. Final Fantasy 7 turned RPGs 3D. These are innovation. The simple fact that Halo 3 won't bring anything like that to the table is why it is not innovating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowLink View Post
You know me, Kenny, I hate being wrong when I have the potential to be right.
Sure. That's fine.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 09-20-2007, 12:06 AM
EmBreon's Avatar
EmBreon Offline
Killjoy
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: <insert funny>
Posts: 4,492
Send a message via AIM to EmBreon Send a message via MSN to EmBreon
Default Re: Halo 3.....T-minus eight days and counting! Thoughts? Opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megumi View Post
However, my brothers have already reserved the game, and I will be trying it out... if they can ever break away from that thing for ten minutes.
Haha, so have mine. :/

I've played Halo 2 before, but I didn't like it very much (And yes, probably because I sucked at it <3). But I am interested to see what Halo 3 is going to be like, and whether or not it's going to live up to this huge reputation.

*Does not belong in this thread*
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 09-20-2007, 12:34 AM
Hypocrisy is Fun Offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,852
Send a message via AIM to Hypocrisy is Fun
Default Re: Halo 3.....T-minus eight days and counting! Thoughts? Opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybernetic Ghost View Post
A) Since when does a game need top of the line capabilities to be FUN? I still play plenty of psone and super nintendo games, because they were GOOD games.
B) Plasma Pistol, switch weapon to that one riffle or something, been awhile, and melee attack=One hit combo.
A) Sure, classics are fun, but keep in mind there will never be a new psone or super nintendo game.

B) Thats... more than one hit. :|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megumi View Post
I have also heard plenty of rumors going around that Master Chief is going to kick the bucket, and I want to see if that really happens or not.
I wouldn't doubt it, though, you can always expect a new twist. :o
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 09-20-2007, 01:57 AM
OrexxerO's Avatar
OrexxerO Offline
Master Trainer
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 383
Default Re: Halo 3.....T-minus eight days and counting! Thoughts? Opinions?

Quote:
, and melee attack=One hit combo
How can there be a one hit combo? One hit is one hit, a combo is multiple hits, two or more.

Quote:
I wouldn't doubt it, though, you can always expect a new twist. :o
Yeah, when I started playing halo for the first time, I just figured I would be doing the thing of destroying the aliens and saving mankind blah blah.

I had NO clue that The Flood would be introduced, that was a complete twist I didn't expect at all.

Halo 2 was more of a bridge between halo 1 and 3 I believe. I am sure something quite out of what we expect will happen in Halo 3.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 09-20-2007, 03:57 AM
Dr Scott's Avatar
Dr Scott Offline
Vanilla Bear
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Behind you.
Posts: 6,277
Send a message via AIM to Dr Scott Send a message via MSN to Dr Scott Send a message via Yahoo to Dr Scott Send a message via Skype™ to Dr Scott
Default Re: Halo 3.....T-minus eight days and counting! Thoughts? Opinions?

Honestly enough, with a game like Halo 3 the fact that it's so "overhyped" makes it a game worthy of being played. I've hit on this point over and over, but it's Live that makes the FPS series, and it's going to be Live that makes Halo 3 one of the best games of the year. Sure, you're going to have your idiots (you get those a plenty in WoW too, so this really isn't an argueable point) but you're also going to have plenty of people to play with whenever.

Really, it matters what you think of FPS games. Do you just want to play a great story? If so, Halo isn't for you. Halo is made at being a Live game with a story on the side, and it sure does deliver. Do you want tons of innovation and new fun things? Try Prey, you can climb on walls and stuff XP.

But if you think a good game is based on the fact that you can still be as interested 6 months from now as you were when it came out, then Halo is your man (or woman, I don't want to be sexist). And that is what makes it so hyped, that's what makes it a great game. Fast paced, lots of fun deaths, team play, strategy, etc.

And it is adding things, enough to make it interesting for old gamers. The helmets, the new vehicles, the shield zapper and shield thingy ... all enough to totally change the game around so it won't be "get used to the new controls and old pros take over" dealio.

Plus, it's matchmaking is pretty much state of the art. Designed to put you against people of your skill, I've read that it's making sure that people won't be able to derank so they can face newers again. And in a FPS, this is pretty important, you don't want to face people who own you every few seconds. It has ranked, it has unranked, it's just great all around.
__________________

"God, my brilliance is now somewhat of a burden. Get back to me."
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 09-20-2007, 07:24 AM
Cybernetic Ghost's Avatar
Cybernetic Ghost Offline
Elite Trainer
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 951
Default Re: Halo 3.....T-minus eight days and counting! Thoughts? Opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrexxerO View Post
How can there be a one hit combo? One hit is one hit, a combo is multiple hits, two or more.
My bad. Apparently, even though you've responded to every one of my comments almost, you missed the part where I corrected myself and said zero to full combo, by charging, shooting, switching, melee.

If your going to try to nitpick, do it well. Even knowing about something like that though should have showed you I'm somewhat aware of the game, and made it unnesscary for me to comment on if I had played it earlier. But if you want to ignore my entire post before this one because you simply don't have a response, thats fine by me.

Good day, sir.
__________________

yes.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 09-21-2007, 02:43 AM
OrexxerO's Avatar
OrexxerO Offline
Master Trainer
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 383
Default Re: Halo 3.....T-minus eight days and counting! Thoughts? Opinions?

Nit picking? No, simply stating there is just no way to have a "one Hit" combo. Combo=combination .


One of the best features coming out for Halo 3 is that new thing called FORGE. Where you can edit many aspects of the game, place items and weapons where you want them, all that kind of stuff. That will make the replay value really high.

So will the campaign have a high replay value. With the whole scoring thing, to have competitive play with you and your friends. Thats one thing I look forward to alot.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 09-21-2007, 06:06 AM
Kenny_C.002's Avatar
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hina <3
Posts: 12,268
Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002
Default Re: Halo 3.....T-minus eight days and counting! Thoughts? Opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrexxerO View Post
Nit picking? No, simply stating there is just no way to have a "one Hit" combo. Combo=combination .
What does it matter as long as it's a simple and easy to execute combo? Dominant strategies, once formed, are largely detrimental to the game. See Halo 1 for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrexxerO View Post
One of the best features coming out for Halo 3 is that new thing called FORGE. Where you can edit many aspects of the game, place items and weapons where you want them, all that kind of stuff. That will make the replay value really high.
While not innovating (Lode Runner, I believe, was the first to ever do it, and still does it better than Halo 3, but that's beside the point), this does add some replay value. I would still have to say that this is still not as robust as say the Starcraft editor engine, still, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrexxerO View Post
So will the campaign have a high replay value. With the whole scoring thing, to have competitive play with you and your friends. Thats one thing I look forward to alot.
Scoring doesn't add replay value as much as you think it does, unfortunately.

It's fine and dandy that the game is anticipated. It's not so good when people talk about Halo 3 as though it is innovative, or how it is clearly the best thing since sliced bread (which it isn't. Mario Bros 3 was, though.). It isn't because it wasn't concepted to be as such in the first place.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Design: AlienSector.com