Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Intro Boards » PE2K Front Desk

PE2K Front Desk Forum announcements will be posted here. Any questions, suggestions or ideas concerning the forum or the website should also be posted in here. If you need help on your avatar or signature, or help on using the forum, this is the place to go.

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 03:21 AM
.AzureLight Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to .AzureLight Send a message via MSN to .AzureLight
Default Post Count

Post count induces spam. Spam makes people unhappy. Unhappy people want change.

Honestly, this has gone WAY too far. All of you children that aren't even legally allowed on forums in the USA (see COPPA) are just too much. You've already gotten the DCC taken away, but it just doesn't sink in to your thick skulls. I'm beyond the point of being sick of complaining. It's either I yell at every single one of them, or propose this idea.

Disable post count. It's just a worthless number, but some people think it's fun to get 10 000 posts in 3 months, and I think they need to get real lives and stop wasting them on a forum for Pokemon. Or at least learn some social manners and not post 15 times in a thread where you should only post once.

But I'm serious about the suggestion. I mean, Serebii did it with no consequence to activity. If post count is disabled, then people will be here for the forum, and not some silly number. Maybe the average intelligence level of the forum will rise?

Ugh, I needed that rant. Badly.

And maybe once the level of spam has gone down, it can be re-enabled?
Old 09-12-2007, 03:30 AM
Elitefrenzy Offline
Elite Trainer

Default Re: Post Count

You honestly think that post count is ruining this forum?
Think again man.

"they say the devils' water, it ain't so sweet, you don't have to drink right now. but you can dip your feet, every once... and a little while"

Damn, my emo side is getting to me. not
Old 09-12-2007, 03:32 AM
Larvinator Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Larvinator Send a message via Skype™ to Larvinator

Everyone and their mom is going to bring up VPPs, so I'll skip that over for now...

I don't think the post count is the single cause for the spam or even somewhat of a factor. Rarely do I see anyone, even spambotting n00bs, go on and on about their oh-so-high post count and how it makes them oh-so-awesome compared to people with lowly post counts, which makes me think that they aren't spamming for their post counts. Only arrogant idiots would think post count made you more important and would brag about it, and arrogant idiots tend to get banned. Most spammers spam because they a) think it's funny to see the reactions or b) honestly don't know they're spamming. While I agree that spam is becoming increasingly annoying, I don't really think post count plays enough of a role in it to be deleted. =/
Old 09-12-2007, 03:38 AM
.AzureLight Offline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitefrenzy View Post
You honestly think that post count is ruining this forum?
Think again man.
Yes. People think that post count makes them "cool" and "superior" and so you have people who spam the DCC all day because they want to be higher on the community food chain.

I've had so many experiences with forums, that it's not even funny. Don't even get me started on the positive outcomes that disabling post count brought to many forums that I've been a member on.

Last edited by .AzureLight; 09-12-2007 at 03:41 AM.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:42 AM
Cool Kid 94 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

I've never seen a n00b with more than 1000 posts. I saw a guy who double posted a lot with almost 700 posts, but I'm sure he wasn't doing it on purpose. I don't think Post Count should be disabled. Also I look up to only Elite Trainers, and I have ever since I spent my days in the Trade Forum with 41 posts lol.
FC: 3480 1334 4941

Pokemon WiFi Region
The only thing special about these forums anymore is the Chatbox.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:44 AM
.AzureLight Offline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Kid 94 View Post
I've never seen a n00b with more than 1000 posts. I saw a guy who double posted a lot with almost 700 posts, but I'm sure he wasn't doing it on purpose. I don't think Post Count should be disabled. Also I look up to only Elite Trainers, and I have ever since I spent my days in the Trade Forum with 41 posts lol.
We have many 1000+ post count members here that are still noobs, but they've gained the self confidence to mask it a bit better. (Meaning they are less likely to use chat speak or just horrible grammar.)

But only after the DCC was removed.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:45 AM
Tamer Marco Offline
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Tamer Marco Send a message via AIM to Tamer Marco Send a message via MSN to Tamer Marco Send a message via Yahoo to Tamer Marco

I don't think post counts should be disabled totally, we all had that time as a new members for "w00t, 4000 posts!" and other things like that.

But Lan, what are the positive outcomes of disabling the number?
Old 09-12-2007, 03:46 AM
Elitefrenzy Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by .AzureLight View Post
Yes. People think that post count makes them "cool" and "superior" and so you have people who spam the DCC all day because they want to be higher on the community food chain.

I've had so many experiences with forums, that it's not even funny. Don't even get me started on the positive outcomes that disabling post count brought to many forums that I've been a member on.
Possible Outcome:
People will now notice there are no more post counts.
Then a mod will make a reason why.
Then n00bs will make countless threads how they should bring post counts back.
Then older forumers will keep telling them to stop making threads about it constantly.
Thus causing more spam.
But that's just my idea.

"they say the devils' water, it ain't so sweet, you don't have to drink right now. but you can dip your feet, every once... and a little while"

Old 09-12-2007, 03:48 AM
Tamer Marco Offline
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Tamer Marco Send a message via AIM to Tamer Marco Send a message via MSN to Tamer Marco Send a message via Yahoo to Tamer Marco

The noobs won't make a thread about it if the reason is well known, and they make an annoucement about it. :|
Old 09-12-2007, 03:53 AM
.AzureLight Offline
Banned

A lot of noobs will be discouraged by the fact that their posts are useless and don't give them any superiority of any sort, and ultimately leave. Of course, it won't happen for EVERY single one of them, but at least a good 40-60%.

The internet is an odd place, only recently discovered by many people. The generation of people who migrated from MSN to MySpace to the rest of the internet is what's killing it for us. Throw in the younger kids (who, aren't legally allowed to use forums in the USA; again, see COPPA law) and you have a fatal mixture.

Plus, a lot of people are ignorant and think that they aren't the spammers and that the stuff doesn't apply to them. I just wish I could tell them all out without risking a ban.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:58 AM
Elitefrenzy Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by .AzureLight View Post
A lot of noobs will be discouraged by the fact that their posts are useless and don't give them any superiority of any sort, and ultimately leave. Of course, it won't happen for EVERY single one of them, but at least a good 40-60%.

The internet is an odd place, only recently discovered by many people. The generation of people who migrated from MSN to MySpace to the rest of the internet is what's killing it for us. Throw in the younger kids (who, aren't legally allowed to use forums in the USA; again, see COPPA law) and you have a fatal mixture.

Plus, a lot of people are ignorant and think that they aren't the spammers and that the stuff doesn't apply to them. I just wish I could tell them all out without risking a ban.
What if they made this a 13+ forum? That would eliminate a reasonable amount of spammers

Old 09-12-2007, 04:00 AM
Dr Scott Offline
Vanilla Bear

Send a message via AIM to Dr Scott Send a message via MSN to Dr Scott Send a message via Yahoo to Dr Scott Send a message via Skype™ to Dr Scott

ANYWAYS, I for one never look at post count and never saw anyone mention it. People who spam do it becuase they're bored and they think it's fun to post everywhere a mile a minute. Most of the time. And yes, more then likely people will continue asking to either put them back or make threads to that effect.

Thuogh it's worth looking into.

"God, my brilliance is now somewhat of a burden. Get back to me."

Last edited by Dr Scott; 09-12-2007 at 04:07 AM.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:04 AM
Hypocrisy is Fun Offline

Send a message via AIM to Hypocrisy is Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitefrenzy View Post
What if they made this a 13+ forum? That would eliminate a reasonable amount of spammers
All forums are +13. No one listens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScottMan View Post
And don't forget people ... HiF.
What I do?!

I'm personally against it, this isn't a noob eliminating forum, I've already talked to Lan about it, and I think that instead of trying to get rid of people, we should try to get them to change, and eventually they'll get used to being proper.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:13 AM
.AzureLight Offline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowLink View Post
I'm personally against it, this isn't a noob eliminating forum, I've already talked to Lan about it, and I think that instead of trying to get rid of people, we should try to get them to change, and eventually they'll get used to being proper.
But most noobs only listen when you scream at them repeatedly, I mean look how much effort I took to change MM (just ask him about how much I yelled at him to use real sentences and to make useful contributions to the topic at hand.)

There's just simply too many noobs and even if we all attempt to change them, they outnumber us.

Not to mention the hot-headed ones that just cuss at you when you call them noobs. But then they should just be banned for stupidity. But I can't risk any noob calling because I'm on a short leash with my past record.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:05 PM
Azumao Offline
That Whiscash Freak
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Azumao Send a message via MSN to Azumao

I'm not too sure about it. It sounds like a nice concept, but then, as said, a lot of people will make threads about it. Remember when posts didn't count in the DP trading center, and everyone freaked? Yes. It's that all over again.

I think that after the original freak-out it would be fine, but it would definitely cause problems with the VPP. That's mostly the reason why I'm going to have to disagree.