Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 Interactive Boards Creative Writing Author's Corner

Author's Corner Share your ideas with other members and come here for helpful writing tips.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:26 AM
WorkThoseStripes Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Default What gives you motivation?

What gives you motivation to carry on writing a fic. Sometimes people get bored half way through and they use certain methods to get back their motivation. What's yours?

Mine is listening to epic music and if it has lyrics then I try and make sure the lyrics go with the story.
Umbreon
Done @ 1380
Old 08-11-2007, 01:31 PM
Sceptile Frost Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Sceptile Frost
Default Re: What gives you motivation?

1. Reviewers. I don't write for reviewers, I couldn't care less, but it sure makes you feel good when you 20-30 reviews over three forums on a one-shot (and that's only 2/3 on SPPf).

2. The fact that I'm usually a few chapters ahead of my posting, so if I want to take a break and work on something else, I can.

3. The fact that, at least for Now and Forever, I've rewritten numerous times and am sick of doing it. So it's finish it up or revise again, and the latter I loathe.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:57 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

I personally don't have one, so I end up putting it off for a while and then come back to it sooner or later. It's probably the worst thing to do, but it's the best I could come up with.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:09 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

New inspiration helps a lot. Watching movies that really grab you, hearing music that really gets you thinking, video games other than Pokemon, and sometimes I even get material from dreams. :P

Trial of Juno II was largely based on music and other games. A lot of inspiration was taken from the PC game Fallout, the N64 game ShadowMan, and several others. I usually mix and only take a few things out though, so it isn't as obvious where I get some inspiration from. :P

Old 08-11-2007, 03:17 PM
WorkThoseStripes Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

My latest fic, The Water's Essence, almost stopped at the porlogue because I realized there wasn't enough going on in the middle. I listened to a song called 'Somewhere' by 'Within Temptation' and 'Return To Zanarkand' from FFX and now I've got everything. (: Songs really help me.
Umbreon
Done @ 1380
Old 08-11-2007, 03:51 PM
Hoshika Offline

I'm a hybrid drawist-writer. That means...

I DOODLE for inspiration! =D

Redoodling situations for The Adventures of Sonic and Link helps me get ideas for Crossing Dimensions, even if the chapter is... dramatic. Yeah. ^^;
I suffer from some desease where I just don't feel like catching a pokemon unless it's rare, which ends in me never catching com mons.

I finished Gold with a pokedex of 6.

Oak's Rating: "Congratulations! Looks like you've learned how to use a pokeball!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbok View Post

Haagen-Daz is an ice cream company, dumbass.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Bay Offline
Master Trainer

Yeah, songs keeps me motivated. Sometimes I listen to the radio (wheter its internet or the real thing :P) and if a really good song came then that is when I try to finish up a scene as fast as I can XD.

Another motivation is thinking what scenes will later come in my fic. For instance, there are some scnes in "Nothing, Everything" that I can't wait to write out.

+Nothing, Everything+

Chapter Thirteen: It's All a Contest up (12/28/08)
Old 08-11-2007, 07:12 PM
Phantom Kat Offline
íCon ganas!

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Kat Send a message via MSN to Phantom Kat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoshika View Post
I'm a hybrid drawist-writer. That means...

I DOODLE for inspiration! =D

Redoodling situations for The Adventures of Sonic and Link helps me get ideas for Crossing Dimensions, even if the chapter is... dramatic. Yeah. ^^;
ZOMG! I do that, too!

-dozens of journal falls of bookshelves with doodles randomly on plages-

I like to listen to songs why I write like Nickelback, 3 Doors Down, etc. Books also give me a boost of inspiration when I'm down.

Reading the first 250+ pages of Deathly Hallows last night will surely help me in writing Chapter 5 (hell, I was dreaming abot what I read).

(Banner by the epic Neo Pikachu) TAC Challenge: I'm learning Finnish! ^-^

My Author Profile | URPG Stats | Kat x Bryce
Old 08-11-2007, 07:19 PM
WorkThoseStripes Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Off topic - I always get crazy bursts of ideas just as I'm about to go to sleep and I know I will forget in the morning. So I have to get up, turn on the light, find a pen, find something to write on a write a brief of it. It sucks.

Back on topic now people! :P
Umbreon
Done @ 1380
Old 08-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Sceptile Frost Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Sceptile Frost

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkThoseStripes View Post
Off topic - I always get crazy bursts of ideas just as I'm about to go to sleep and I know I will forget in the morning. So I have to get up, turn on the light, find a pen, find something to write on a write a brief of it. It sucks.

That happened to me a few days ago at 12:44 in the morning. It was the dramatic ending for a novel. They're called plot flashes usually. Helps a bunch. The funny thing is I've not written anything on the novel since...
Old 08-12-2007, 06:50 PM
Griff4815 Offline
Experienced Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Griff4815

Yeah when I'm lying in bed I get ideas and I always (unfortunately) have to get up and quickly jot them down or else I cant sleep.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:59 AM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

My problem is I'm easily distracted. I have to write up a good portion of my story before I can do anythin else, otherwise it will never get finished. I can't have anything else up on the computer, which I have to keep in a little room away from the telivision and the fridge and the bathroom while I'm writing, or else I'll get distracted. However, I have recently found a way to control myself. Music. I pull up iTunes, set on my favorite playlist, and after a while it just zones me out and I absent-mindedly type as I write. The end result is that I usually get almost all of the particular part I'm working on before I even realize I've been typing. Unfortunately, I have yet to try it with my stories (I'm not techinically writing fanfiction anymore, it's not about any particular fandom so it shouldn't be called a fanfiction.), only with the thousands of various RP plots that I wrote to pass the time when I was without internet and tehn inevitably deleted, so I don't know if it will work as well. I'll find out though.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:25 AM
Innocent Bystander Offline
Amateur Trainer

I just use random MIDI files from the internet according to a theme or whatever.
My actual motivation's the fact I've started on so many writings and never finished them. Which really makes me want to finish.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:54 AM
Phantom Kat Offline
íCon ganas!

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Kat Send a message via MSN to Phantom Kat

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkThoseStripes View Post

That happens to me. I'm having trouble sleeping then BAM! Plot bunny or some other idea pops up! Good thing my laptop is right next to my bed (no, literrally).

For some bursts of inspirations, I look back at stuff I've written for fun (which means they are incomplete) and think how I can put something like that into what I am currently writing.

(Banner by the epic Neo Pikachu) TAC Challenge: I'm learning Finnish! ^-^

My Author Profile | URPG Stats | Kat x Bryce