Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing » Author's Corner

Author's Corner Share your ideas with other members and come here for helpful writing tips.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:13 PM
KelDragon Offline
New Trainer

Send a message via AIM to KelDragon Send a message via MSN to KelDragon Send a message via Skype™ to KelDragon
Default Pokemon: An Alternate Evolution

Hey, everyone.

I'm new here, so naturally I don't have much experience writing Pokemon fan fic. I love Pokemon, though, and have always wanted to write something in that category.

I would like to share with you something I wrote up a few months ago. I have always greatly enjoyed the idea of Pokemon, and my favorite aspects is the Journey. But the whole concept didn't seem to make total sense. With this--we'll call it story-idea for now--I have tried to rectify that situation (in my own mind at least.) I am probably going to get yelled at, because much of my story revolves around some non-canonical aspects. Nevertheless, I am offering it up for critique. Most of the aspects I enjoy about Pokemon have been left intact. And now without further ado, I present:

Pokemon: An Alternate Evolution

Timeline

January 20--In a surprise landslide election, radical democratic President Sigmund Hera is officially inaugurated into office.

February 3--Hera signs an immensely controversial bill that orders all U.S. residents (including troops) immediately withdrawn from the Middle East.

February 6--Three days later, war breaks out in Iraq between the three Islamic factions of the Shi'ites, Sunnis, and Kurds, throwing the already anarchic country into turmoil.

February 14--Valentine's day. The small nation of Syria is nearly obliterated by a surprise and joint tactical nuclear strike by North Korea and the country of Iran. The radiation fallout begins leaking into other countries, including Lebanon and Turkey.

February 21--The United States launches a neutron bomb at Iran--the only one ever constructed. The country is left in chaos, with over 20 million people killed.

March 1--The remaining Islamic Nations band together, sending a message to the United States that they must surrender to the will of Allah within fifteen days. Áríd al Shíra, an aged scientist associated with the terrorist organization Al Qaeda, unveils the Neutrino Device. This machine is said to be able to merge or split incompatible neutrons, which would cause an explosion more powerful than a nuclear warhead.

March 17--St. Patrick's Day. Al Shíra fires the Neutrino Device (code named Apocalypse) on the District of Columbia. It is utterly destroyed. There are no survivors. Overnight, the greatest nation in the world is plunged into anarchy.

April-July--The Beginning of World War III. The allied countries of Europe work together to support the staggering North America as incursions from the Islamic Nations become more frequent. The cities of London, Berlin, and Paris are partially destroyed by various explosive strikes and weakened firings of the Neutrino Device.

August-September--A secret research base in the Nevada desert known as Area 42 completes its Alpha Project. Using animal DNA and newly developed gene therapy, they create "bio-creatures." The first of these, named Dragonite, is made to be the ultimate epitome of the mythical creature. These bio-creatures are invulnerable to conventional weapons and resistant to nuclear radiation. Dragonite is sent to the Middle East to dispatch the leader of the radical Islamists: Osama bin Laden, long thought dead, and to destroy the Neutrino Device.

October 31--Halloween Night. Dragonite enters the Middle East. It is caught on international television, dispatching several armored personnel carriers with a blast that would quickly become known as the Hyper Beam. It is found to be capable of limited speech, and it penetrates deeper into the Middle Eastern nations despite resistance from civilians and border guards.

November 2--Dragonite accomplishes its task: Osama bin Laden is apparently struck down by a bolt of lightning. The base of Al Qaeda, along with the Neutrino Device, is burned to the ground by Dragonite's Fire Blast.

November 3-November 5--Anti-aircraft cannons open fire on the bio-creature. This has no effect, and Dragonite is unharmed. He vanishes. An extensive search is conducted, but fails.

November 6--Dragonite returns to Area 42 in Nevada. The leader of the base, Conrad O'Ryan, unveils his next three bio creations: Raichu (also known as Thunder Mouse), Ninetails (a fox-like animal from ancient legends), and Charizard (a dragon-like creature named by combining the words Charcoal and Lizard).

November 9--Raichu, along with Area 42, is able to tap into the newly constructed Islamic power grid. After many failed attempts, they succeed in shutting it down, leaving the entire Middle East in utter darkness and open to attack.

November 10--The Day of Freedom. The Islamic Nations surrender to the Allied Coalition of Countries. World War III is over. The newly elected President of the U.S. Anthony Marks, along with the Prime Minister of Britain, send a massive convoy of troops to occupy and restore order to the Middle East and capture any remaining terrorists.

December 25--Christmas Day. The rebuilding of Washington D.C. begins.

2010-2045 Relative peace is maintained. O'Ryan and his team of scientists continue developing bio-creatures, as well as creating female counterparts for the first four, in hopes of reproduction. Plans for the Neutrino device are discovered in a hidden research lab, and the device is quickly rebuilt by the United States. It is discovered that it can also fuse other parts of atoms, not just neutrons. In this way, a new type of engine known as a hydrorunner was created. This largely eliminated the need for petroleum and oil, and destroyed the Middle East's political influence. Surprisingly, there were no rebellions, and the world seemed finally at peace. New jobs were being created. Crime was at an all-time low. The bio-creatures were gaining more publicity as they began to help with everything from reconstruction to water supply. They had no need to eat, as they could draw nutrients from the ecology around them, and return them in similar ways. (This happened to help with cleaning and repopulating rivers and oceans.) Washington D.C. was finished, and it became the first terra-city, covering not only its original land, but also most of Maryland. It was renamed Indigo, and once more became the center of governmental power in the U.S. In 2025, a new type of gene therapy was discovered, enabling vast quantities of lands to be revitalized with nature and become massive wildlife--and bio-creature--preserves. More terra-cities were built, including Viridian (a fusion of the Twin cities of Minnesota), Pewter (what used to be Chicago, Illinois), Cerulean (built on Nashville, Tennessee), Vermilion (Colorado Springs), Celadon (former Las Vegas), Fuchsia (former Seattle), Sable (formerly Los Angeles, San Francisco, and San Diego), Shelk (former San Antonio, Texas), Weiss (former Orlando Florida), Saffron (former New York City), and Cinnabar (originally the largest island of Hawaii). Terra-cities were also rebuilt in Europe, including Violet (Venice), Azalea (Paris), Goldenrod (Rome), Ecruteak (Copenhagen), Olivine (Moscow), Cianwood (Dublin), Mahogany (Athens), and Blackthorn (London). Between these terra-cities were stretches of unlived-in land, with a wide variety of topography. There were usually small towns interspersed throughout the country, as well, but these towns were very rural. The only really modern thing they had were hotels. In these stretches of wild nature, animals and bio-creatures were free to rome un-bothered. Airplanes were mostly decommissioned, rarely in use by anyone other than the military. Travel between continents was accomplished by ship. But in early 2039, things began to change within the U.S. Some bio-creatures remained within terra-cities, and were used as slave labor and sometimes treated like animals. A group of these bio-creatures, along with Conrad O'Ryan and his son Alden, banded together and fled North America. Many others soon followed, and the country began to stir. As more and more bio-creatures and humans joined up with the O'Ryans, they traveled further south into Mexico. They quickly became a small confederacy. Over the next five years, tension would strain at the United States. In 2045, a bio-creature called Electabuzz, used in a power plant, turned on its employer and killed several people. There was no way any of the humans could defend themselves. This sparked the Confederacy to action. They believed that this could be the chance to rebel they were waiting for. They gathered their forces, and launched an outright attack on Sable. Thus began the Second American Civil War.

January 2--The Battle of Sable takes place. The Confederacy, now calling itself Olympia, employs bio-creatures in the attack. Large swaths of the city are destroyed. The death toll is over 2 million, almost all of these civilians.

January 28--Two groups of bio-creatures meet at the entrance to the partially recovered Sable. They begin to battle. Several are killed, but in the process, the United States send a group of backup bio-creatures, and the Confederacy's emissaries are defeated.

March 15--united States troops March on Olympia's newly built fortress. Prototype laser cannons reduce the defenses to ash. Most of the humans inside surrender, as do the bio-creatures. The O'Ryans, however, do not, and are apparently killed. The bloodied U.S. begins to reconstruct. 2047-2105

Over the next four decades, not much in the world would change. But in 2089, an invention originally called the Matter Sphere was unveiled to the public. It had the ability to capture living matter and entomb it in a stasis-like realm. Tests were conducted on animals and bio-creatures, and were successful. But any experiment with humans resulted in death. These spheres were used to capture a large number of the bio-creatures. The bio-creatures were renamed: they were now Pokemon, a play on the words "pocket monsters". The spheres were called Pokeballs, and allowed nearly every citizen to have a bio-creature of his or her own. This caused a revolution in the way society worked, and spawned many amendments to the Constitution that regulated biological warfare. Pokemon were not allowed to be used to harm humans under any circumstances. Only in mach duels against each other was willful fighting allowed. "Gyms" were built in terra-cities and small towns alike, where "trainers" of Pokemon could fight each other in regulated battles. This quickly became widespread and popular, and each Gym was given a leader. Victory over that leader would be rewarded with a special badge. In 2093, the Pokemon League was opened: an annual tournament held in the terra-city of Indigo on its famous plateau in which trainers that had earned 10 badges, anywhere in the world, could come and battle in one of the most anticipated sports tournaments of the year. This League spawned the "New Age of Pokemon". Pokemon Trainer became a virtual profession, as money was passed between trainers for victories. But, as with all things in life, there are those who had evil intent.

In 2098, two pivotal events in history occurred. First, a Dr. Giovanni Felix and team of scientists invaded a store selling Pokemon. Calling themselves "Team Rocket", they made away with over fifty of the Pokeballs. Afterwards, the team was learned to be associated with a branch of the Italian Mafia. They did not strike--that was not there purpose ... yet. Instead, they conducted fiendishly illegal experiments on the Pokemon, crippling or torturing some and turning others into nothing more than killing machines. These scientists--and their Pokemon--were quickly labeled "Mavericks" (outlaws) by the public. Second, the O'Ryan family came out of hiding. Arthur O'Ryan, grandson of Alden, with a small number of humans and bio-creatures, rejuvenated the Olympian movement under a different standard. Embittered by the betrayal of their former comrades, their mission is simple. Humanity must be destroyed. The Pokemon had become a superior race, and they should rule over an untainted world. Olympia was not able to strike at the U.S. directly, instead picking small skirmishes. In 2101, three individuals had finally had enough. Dr. Brock Stone, a Professor of archaeology at Cambridge University, along with marine biology Professor Misty Gate of Stanford, were repulsed by those like the Mavericks and Olympia who attempted to misuse Pokemon. They finally went (relatively) public, forming a small vigilante team. Given command of this team was long-time Indigo League champion Ashe Catchum, popularly nicknamed Red. This team, called the Red Brigade, was designed to stop the Neo Olympian movement as well as the Maverick scientists. Condemned in public, the U.S. government privately funded their operations. For the last four years, that is what they have attempted to do. They and their small squad of bio-creatures have engaged the Olympians multiple times with success, and have nearly destroyed several Maverick bases. The year is now 2105, and the future of the world is unclear ...

The Nature of Pokemon and Their Relationships with Humans

Despite what many who do not own Pokemon think, these creatures are intelligent--some say as intelligent as ourselves. If "captured" by a Trainer, Pokemon will form a special mental link with their owner. This allows extreme closeness between the two, and is how Trainers and Pokemon work together in battles. It also allows--some say--minor telepathic communication. Pokemon are never captured willingly; if they do not consent to bond with their trainer, they will find a way to escape. Special Pokemon were created, such as Alakazam and Deoxys, that were able to use the force of their mind alone in battle. These were some of the most intelligent of Pokemon, and could communicate with their trainers through telepathic speech in a very advanced way.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:56 AM
drazzon Offline
Amateur Trainer

Default Re: Pokemon: An Alternate Evolution

Well, what sort of help do need with? A title?

VPP

Piplup
Hatches: 25
Evolves: 58
Evolves: 118
Level 100: 310

Credit to Drift for amazing avvie

Old 08-07-2007, 01:56 PM
KelDragon Offline
New Trainer

Send a message via AIM to KelDragon Send a message via MSN to KelDragon Send a message via Skype™ to KelDragon

What I need is feedback. What do people think of the universe I have created? Is it even worth writing a story set in it? And what kind of story should I write?
Old 08-07-2007, 06:52 PM
Lone_Houndoom Offline
Experienced Trainer

Uh... well, I'm not exactly an expert in fic writing, but... doesn't that sorta flatly contradict everything in the anime, games, and manga? Well, okay, maybe not the manga, but the anime and games, at least? Again, I'm no expert, just my opinion.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:45 PM
KelDragon Offline
New Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Houndoom View Post
Uh... well, I'm not exactly an expert in fic writing, but... doesn't that sorta flatly contradict everything in the anime, games, and manga? Well, okay, maybe not the manga, but the anime and games, at least? Again, I'm no expert, just my opinion.
I was pretty sure I would get this response. But you see, mimicking the Anime and/or Manga is not what I set out to do. What I set out to do was create a world in which a fiftee-year-old boy trecking across the country, battling othe teenagers and other adults with anthropomorphic, super-powered animals could possibly make any kind of sense and sound even a little credible. In this, I believe I have succeeded.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:54 PM
Sceptile Frost Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Sceptile Frost

[I hope you don't take offense to my bluntness and somewhat sarcastic commentary. It was not meant to offend, and it's really my fault for reading books correcting mistakes (especially in the field of writing) in said style. Therefore, take mind that I am not flaming (if it is in fact that extreme) you, rather the idea you have presented.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelDragon View Post
Hey, everyone.

I'm new here, so naturally I don't have much experience writing Pokemon fan fic. I love Pokemon, though, and have always wanted to write something in that category.
Well, then, welcome to the forums! I'm always happy to see new writers, especially with such good ideas. Hopefully you'll find your stay here nice. Remember, though, that ideas are not key. A good writer can make a crappy idea great, and a crappy writer can make the best idea crappy, so ideas are really just the frame for the prose / characters / whatever your novel / work is driven by.

Quote:
Pokemon: An Alternate Evolution

Timeline

January 20--In a surprise landslide election, radical democratic President Sigmund Hera is officially inaugurated into office.
Um... then why hasn't he made it in to the actual candidacy yet? Unless your dealing with something similar to magic realism (i.e. psychic control, refer to Red Altert 2: Yuri's Revenge for an example, it's impossible.

Quote:
February 3--Hera signs an immensely controversial bill that orders all U.S. residents (including troops) immediately withdrawn from the Middle East.
Once again, this would have to deal with some sort of blackmail, bribery, psychic control, or threat of some sort. And though it's likely the democrats will have a majority in the next election, I doubt there would be a majority even by one for this to pass.

Quote:
February 6--Three days later, war breaks out in Iraq between the three Islamic factions of the Shi'ites, Sunnis, and Kurds, throwing the already anarchic country into turmoil.
War can't break out if it's already happening... and there would be no way for even a group of fifteen in congress to agree to pulling out if Iraq remained in complete anarchy, which it doesn't. Also, there are signs of unity already (i.e. after Iraq won the Asian Football Cup)

Quote:
February 14--Valentine's day. The small nation of Syria is nearly obliterated by a surprise and joint tactical nuclear strike by North Korea and the country of Iran. The radiation fallout begins leaking into other countries, including Lebanon and Turkey.
Once again, this is slightly unrealistic. Syria and Iraq are both Arab, so why should they have a disagreement? It's just not likely... Now China would have a motive, but not Iran, in my opinion.

Quote:
February 21--The United States launches a neutron bomb at Iran--the only one ever constructed. The country is left in chaos, with over 20 million people killed.
Question: What's a neutron bomb? And why would they create one when they already have enough missiles storehoused to create nuclear winter? Supply is great for nukes and the demand is low - there's no point for the US military to invest billions of dollars in an uneeded weapon with their budget already stretched to its limits.

Quote:
March 1--The remaining Islamic Nations band together, sending a message to the United States that they must surrender to the will of Allah within fifteen days. Áríd al Shíra, an aged scientist associated with the terrorist organization Al Qaeda, unveils the Neutrino Device. This machine is said to be able to merge or split incompatible neutrons, which would cause an explosion more powerful than a nuclear warhead.
Once again, why don't you call it the Arab League, a group already in place?

Quote:
March 17--St. Patrick's Day. Al Shíra fires the Neutrino Device (code named Apocalypse) on the District of Columbia. It is utterly destroyed. There are no survivors. Overnight, the greatest nation in the world is plunged into anarchy.
Again, the democratic system of the US has too many checks and balances to be overthrown over night. IF the Arab League / Islamic Union / whatever were using this to throw off the US so they could lead a Arab-Sino invasion of America, it would work, but it is nearly impossible.

Quote:
April-July--The Beginning of World War III. The allied countries of Europe work together to support the staggering North America as incursions from the Islamic Nations become more frequent. The cities of London, Berlin, and Paris are partially destroyed by various explosive strikes and weakened firings of the Neutrino Device.
Okay, why would war result? (Admittedly, it is likely, i.e. if the Cuban missile crisis had ended badly there would likely not be a world as we know it) but I guess the nuclear beginnings would just snowball. European support of America is rather unlikely. Humanitarian aid yes, but I doubt anyone but possibly England and maybe a lesser nation they convinced to help them to aid the US militarily.

Quote:
August-September--A secret research base in the Nevada desert known as Area 42 completes its Alpha Project. Using animal DNA and newly developed gene therapy, they create "bio-creatures." The first of these, named Dragonite, is made to be the ultimate epitome of the mythical creature. These bio-creatures are invulnerable to conventional weapons and resistant to nuclear radiation. Dragonite is sent to the Middle East to dispatch the leader of the radical Islamists: Osama bin Laden, long thought dead, and to destroy the Neutrino Device.
And why, pray tell, can't a simple machine gun nest destroy this Dragonite? It's unlikely that one would result, even if Dragonite is as we know it, which is extremely unlikely for a first creation. Also, Dragonite would likely be extremely unstable, and I doubt the first alpha version would be able to make it through China or Europe to reach the Middle East.

Quote:
October 31--Halloween Night. Dragonite enters the Middle East. It is caught on international television, dispatching several armored personnel carriers with a blast that would quickly become known as the Hyper Beam. It is found to be capable of limited speech, and it penetrates deeper into the Middle Eastern nations despite resistance from civilians and border guards.
Destroying is the right word. Dispatching is when you order them. Wow, the Arab armies really suck then. An AP rocket would kill Dragonite right away, so they must have pretty bad aim.

Quote:
November 2--Dragonite accomplishes its task: Osama bin Laden is apparently struck down by a bolt of lightning. The base of Al Qaeda, along with the Neutrino Device, is burned to the ground by Dragonite's Fire Blast.
It's impossible that a single unstable creature could destroy a man that thousands of military operatives have been unable to locate. And why would THE base of Al Qaeda would hold the neutrino device. Jihadists aren't that stupid, you know.

Quote:
November 3-November 5--Anti-aircraft cannons open fire on the bio-creature. This has no effect, and Dragonite is unharmed. He vanishes. An extensive search is conducted, but fails.
Why haven't they used this already? Seems pretty stupid of them. And as far as I know skin can be penetrated, unless this creature is made of well... kryptonite is about the only possibility.

Quote:
November 6--Dragonite returns to Area 42 in Nevada. The leader of the base, Conrad O'Ryan, unveils his next three bio creations: Raichu (also known as Thunder Mouse), Ninetails (a fox-like animal from ancient legends), and Charizard (a dragon-like creature named by combining the words Charcoal and Lizard).
Wow, why are they basing creatures off ancient legends when a super combination of the three would be a lot easier to create?

Quote:
November 9--Raichu, along with Area 42, is able to tap into the newly constructed Islamic power grid. After many failed attempts, they succeed in shutting it down, leaving the entire Middle East in utter darkness and open to attack.
Wow, once again. Pretty stupid Islamics here, almost sounds like an anti-Islamic story, as there are always fail safes to a power grid. Think of the blackouts that ocurred almost a decade ago near New York. That didn't affect the whole American/North American power grid, as there are separate ones, interlaced.

Quote:
November 10--The Day of Freedom. The Islamic Nations surrender to the Allied Coalition of Countries. World War III is over. The newly elected President of the U.S. Anthony Marks, along with the Prime Minister of Britain, send a massive convoy of troops to occupy and restore order to the Middle East and capture any remaining terrorists.
Wow, what a fast war. The US would be crippled if anarchy resulted overnight, and so it is very unlikely that they would recover in less than a half years time. Sorry, unrealistic.

Quote:
December 25--Christmas Day. The rebuilding of Washington D.C. begins.
Okay... but how would they get people to work on Christmas Day? (Think about it...) There aren't enough desperate poor people able to work in the vicinity of D.C. or otherwise to work, unless of course you mean ceremonially - i.e. grondbreaking ceremony. Then it's exceptable, though the winter is harsh in D.C., so I'd assume they'd just wait for spring. And while I'm on this matter, why would they keep the capital on the Atlantic seabord, privy to naval attack, when there's a whole nation to have. (Unless of course navies have become totally obsolete, then that would make sense as China is the furthest away possible.)

Quote:
2010-2045 Relative peace is maintained. O'Ryan and his team of scientists continue developing bio-creatures, as well as creating female counterparts for the first four, in hopes of reproduction. Plans for the Neutrino device are discovered in a hidden research lab, and the device is quickly rebuilt by the United States. It is discovered that it can also fuse other parts of atoms, not just neutrons. In this way, a new type of engine known as a hydrorunner was created. This largely eliminated the need for petroleum and oil, and destroyed the Middle East's political influence. Surprisingly, there were no rebellions, and the world seemed finally at peace. New jobs were being created. Crime was at an all-time low. The bio-creatures were gaining more publicity as they began to help with everything from reconstruction to water supply. They had no need to eat, as they could draw nutrients from the ecology around them, and return them in similar ways. (This happened to help with cleaning and repopulating rivers and oceans.) Washington D.C. was finished, and it became the first terra-city, covering not only its original land, but also most of Maryland. It was renamed Indigo, and once more became the center of governmental power in the U.S. In 2025, a new type of gene therapy was discovered, enabling vast quantities of lands to be revitalized with nature and become massive wildlife--and bio-creature--preserves. More terra-cities were built, including Viridian (a fusion of the Twin cities of Minnesota), Pewter (what used to be Chicago, Illinois), Cerulean (built on Nashville, Tennessee), Vermilion (Colorado Springs), Celadon (former Las Vegas), Fuchsia (former Seattle), Sable (formerly Los Angeles, San Francisco, and San Diego), Shelk (former San Antonio, Texas), Weiss (former Orlando Florida), Saffron (former New York City), and Cinnabar (originally the largest island of Hawaii). Terra-cities were also rebuilt in Europe, including Violet (Venice), Azalea (Paris), Goldenrod (Rome), Ecruteak (Copenhagen), Olivine (Moscow), Cianwood (Dublin), Mahogany (Athens), and Blackthorn (London).
Everyone knows that Kanto is in Japan, so unless you want to go against canon, you might want to change this... But it's up to you, though I guess there is sort of a resemblence, though now the tectonic plating must be going crazy to have shifted so fast to resemble the games maps.

Quote:
March 15--united States troops March on Olympia's newly built fortress. Prototype laser cannons reduce the defenses to ash. Most of the humans inside surrender, as do the bio-creatures. The O'Ryans, however, do not, and are apparently killed. The bloodied U.S. begins to reconstruct.
How do lasers affect bio-creatures so well if RPGs and bullets can't? There's really not much difference between the two.

Quote:
They finally went (relatively) public, forming a small vigilante team. Given command of this team was long-time Indigo League champion Ashe Catchum, popularly nicknamed Red.
Ketchum is actually a name, so there's no reason to leave it as Catchum, as it's really a name.

Anyhow, hopefully that helps a bit. So I would recommend reording that beginning - stretch it out a bit. (An easier way to do things would be to say that it is forgotten, similar to the Clone Wars post Emperor in Star Wars).

[A note: I have a similar idea planned, detailing an asteroid strike that released a virus that infested all animals and turned them in to pokemon, leading a civil war period in which most of the world split in to small city-states, but that's another matter.]

Just remember what I said about the first parts - maybe move it a few more years in the future, as really 2009 is only two years away, and the way things are relations are fine to improving with most of the world. The main threat will likely be China, as they have a lot more nuclear power, opposed to North Korea, Iran, and the other nuke-equipped nations.

As for a story... there are numerous ones. It is just a matter of deciding one that you would enjoy writing and one that would fit. There are some that would work if I were writing them. Keep in mind that the timeline is huge, so you wouldn't want a story to span too much time. But really you could mine this timeline for ten or twenty novels, if you tried. It's up to you, really.

Last edited by Sceptile Frost; 08-07-2007 at 11:57 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:40 AM
KelDragon Offline
New Trainer

Okay, seems I have quite a lot of explaining to do. :) First of all, I should probably note that this piece of work was written over a couple of hours--during my school. In consequence, it is not as well thought out as it could be.

Second of all, with regards to the geography. I mainly tried to do this in some sort of logical order. The reason for this? I am blind, and therefore have no idea what Canto, Joto, or any of the other of the regions look like.

I assure you, this work is NOT anti-Muslim. I sincerely apologize to any Muslims I may have offended with the post. It was mostly a plot device.

But that gives rise to ANOTHER Alternate Evolution. The idea (purloined from a friend) works a whole lot better than the dribble I thought of. Here is the basic outline:

In a far distant time, the world as we have known it is vanished forever. In the year 2325, the fearful anticipation of "impact" was fully realized. A meteor, composed of a substance chemists named gernicium, intercected the path of the Earth's orbit. Numerous atemmqs to destroy the meteor made, but none failed. Luckily, (as was thought), the meteor crashed into the tallest peak on earth: Everest. In (relatively) secluded laboratories stationed around the world, two experiments were simultaneously drawing to conclusions.

One involved the stable conversion of matter to energy, and vise versa. The other involved an alpha stage project involving genetic grafting an mental experimentation. Both these eventual breakthroughs would have devastating consequences on humanity to come.

The next part, I haven't entirely plotted out yet. It involves the meteor causing some kind of apocalypse in which most of humanity was killed off. Also, most technology somehow perished. By some sort of miracle, the matter-energy conversion tools and the unstable genetic creatures survived. Unfortunately, the creatures escaped into the wild and began terrorizing the world.

This went on for hundreds of years, with humanity desperately clinging to survival. Eventually, the matter-energy tools jere discovered. These were used to trap the creatures, which is when some sort of normal civilizationbegan to arise.

Suffice it to say that the customs of Pokemon battling and other such facets of that universe came into being. Human society is held together by the notion of "honorable battle" and the "Elite Four" not only are the supreme battling champions, the essentially rule the world. Again, this is only a basic outline, and help with it would be much appreciated.

Paradoxes, by there very nature, cancel each other out. This logically means that they don't exist. But saying something that must exist doesn't exist is a self-contradiction. So say good-bye, folks, the universe is about to go through a total existence failure.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:16 AM
Sceptile Frost Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Okay, seems I have quite a lot of explaining to do. :) First of all, I should probably note that this piece of work was written over a couple of hours--during my school. In consequence, it is not as well thought out as it could be.
That's okay.

Quote:
Second of all, with regards to the geography. I mainly tried to do this in some sort of logical order. The reason for this? I am blind, and therefore have no idea what Canto, Joto, or any of the other of the regions look like.
That's understandeable then.

Quote:
I assure you, this work is NOT anti-Muslim. I sincerely apologize to any Muslims I may have offended with the post. It was mostly a plot device.
I meant that mainly sarcastically, so I'm sorry for confusing you on that regard.

The second idea is a bit better, I would say, so I would recommend trying for that maybe, as it does make a bit more sense with time length. The first was just too short... I mean first a landslide election from someone then a bill coming out less than two weeks later... But good luck with the idea and the eventual story that may come of this.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:43 AM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

Also, Ash's name does not end with an "e". As for Kanto, It occured to me that the placement was completely off (Vermillion is a port city, Colorado Springs is a mountain cities, so unless they moved the ocean waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay inland through the Rockies, not gonna happen), but SF, you are aware that Pokemon as we know it takes place in an alternate world in which Japan does not exist. All KelDragon is trying to do is put some sense into a franchise which doesn't actually have all that much sense and history involved in it. In a sense, this is more canonical than the series itself. And finally in my criticizing of your criticizing, lasers are in fact different and, if used right, more destructive than RPGs, bullets, and SAMs (Surface to Air Missiles, in case you didn't know). The reason is because those are matter, and therefore stoppable by Newton's Laws. Lasers, however, are highly concentrated energy. A good lazer can pierce steel precisely and finely where a bullet can not. Therefore, I submit to you that a pokemon's skin is thick and tough enough to withstand all but a single focused and concentrated burst of intense heat and light being shot at one specific point on the body. Much more deadly then an explosive. Although if you ask me they should've just nuked the suckers.

There was one thing that got to me though. WWIII would be a nuclear war, there's no question about that. We employed the nuke in WWII to end it as quickly as possible here in the USA, why wouldn't we do the same now, except now everyone else is in the Nuclear Club right along with us. That would plummet the world into a state of nuclear winter, and EVERYONE would be dead, except for a few stragglers. (Lucky them, they get to turn to the nearest peron of the opposite sex and get to repopulating the world )
Old 08-14-2007, 06:45 PM
Sceptile Frost Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeveeking929 View Post
In a sense, this is more canonical than the series itself.
That would be impossible, as canon is canon. And it can't be more canonical because it would be violating canon. More realistic yes, more canonical, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeveeking929 View Post
That would plummet the world into a state of nuclear winter, and EVERYONE would be dead, except for a few stragglers. (Lucky them, they get to turn to the nearest person of the opposite sex and get to repopulating the world )
That'd suck if one of said persons was gay (interesting idea for a novel...)