Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing » Author's Corner

Author's Corner Share your ideas with other members and come here for helpful writing tips.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:38 PM
TVTMaster Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Default Pitch-in Fiction

Well, I'm going through another creative phase, so I'm fielding ideas. One thing I wanted to do is a pitch-in fic, something like a roleplay, yet written out by one author. I'd like to ask for people to put together an outline of a character, so that I can have different ideas to work with.
I'm not going to really put in every application, if I get a lot, and if I get fewer than I need, I still might not include some, and add in some custom characters. I'm going to do most of the character development myself, and characters submitted are subject to alterations.
I'm open to suggestions to character development and storyline from character owners, but keep in mind I'm going to be basically controlling what happens, so if you do want to submit, your character might have something happen to them that you would object to.
The fic I have in mind is the somewhat common trainer's school concept (precisely, a school for training Gym Leaders), except it'll be a more realistic version, not some ubiquitous "new gym leeders 4 neeew reegin" thing.
Kanto, Johto, and Hoenn will make up the bulk of the students, with Sinnoh being somewhat far away, and Sinnoh students being something of a minority, and even more rare are students from Orre, with only about ten in the school of hundreds. As far as I have, a new burst of exploration has led explorers to cross previously impassable places to discover new regions. I'm not going to develop any of them, and most of them will be used in small talk, like "Oh, they have me getting ready for this place in [region name]. [something] type."
So, I'd like some applications for characters (there'll be quite a few characters, although some won't be introduced into the storyline for some or so chapters). I reserve the right to make any alterations I deem necessary.

Name: (No Ketchums or anything, and gym leader's kids/relative are somewhat looked down upon.)
Age: (School lasts six terms. 1st term is 12, 6th term is 18.)
Appearance: (Only a general description, such as hair color/height. I don't want anything specific like scars or actual clothes, but preferred styles/colors are okay. Don't expect them to wear the same clothes all the time.)
Pokemon: (Should be unevolved, although 1st evo stages like Nidorina, Flaaffy, etc. will usally be okay. Anywhere from 1 to 5, but I may cut back on the number, change species, or whatever I think is necessary. Obviously no ubers.)
Bio: (Again, veery general. Things like where you're from, lineage, but nothing that would overly constrict me from developing the character the way I want to.)
Personality: (General. No angels and no demons, please. Be realistic.)

All these fields don't need much detail. That's my job, and I'll change it if I need to.

In conclusion, don't think I'm an ambitious idiot, a presuming (that I'll get any apps) idiot, or... actually, you can think I'm a lazy procrastinator, but since there are people's characters involved, nagging might just be the motivation for me to make more than two chapters.

kthxbai

Back again for like the fifth sixth seventh time or something. Moving and taking classes at community college and beating all the Zelda games and arrrglblargl.

Last edited by TVTMaster; 08-01-2007 at 12:41 AM.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:43 PM
Sceptile Frost Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Sceptile Frost
Default Re: Collaboration Fiction

That's not what a collaborative fiction is. A collaborative fiction is usually when a couple of authors actually write it together. This is different. (Just a correction.)

Last edited by Sceptile Frost; 07-31-2007 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:08 PM
Orange_Flaaffy Offline

Send a message via AIM to Orange_Flaaffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceptile Frost View Post
I don't that's what a collaborative fiction is. A collaborative fiction is usually when a couple of authors actually write it together. This is different.
He wants very basic character profiles, it really is'nt a shared fic that way :P. I would just make them up myself :)
Quote:
All these fields don't need much detail. That's my job, and I'll change it if I need to.
If you are just going to change it anyway there is no point in asking for profiles :)

My *Fanfics*Blog* Art

Last edited by Orange_Flaaffy; 07-31-2007 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:39 AM
TVTMaster Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

@SF: Oh. Sorry, never heard of that before. I'll change the name or something.

@OF: Yeah, but really there are a few reason why I'm not just making them up myself: 1) If people have outlined a character, they'll probably want to read the fic a little more, which leads to 2) if people have characters they are really interested in seeing, which is a given as long as there's at least one person who cares about their character, they'll read more, and subsequently will nag me more. I find it's harder to actually go through with a fic unless somebody else wants me to finish it, and unless I am already pumping out chapters, nobody's going to care enough to nag me. And 3) I wanted to somehow put together RPing and writing, since I like roleplaying a lot but want to actually write a fic. This sounds selfish, but the thing that bugs me about RPs is the fact that I can't just write chapter after chapter, but am relying on other people to drive the plot and develop the other characters. Iguess if this is too unconventional/stupid, it could be maybe moved somewhere else...

Back again for like the fifth sixth seventh time or something. Moving and taking classes at community college and beating all the Zelda games and arrrglblargl.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:57 AM
Psychic Offline
Master Trainer

Default Re: Pitch-in Fiction

D: Character submitting has been done millions of times before, and is most commonly thought of as being the reader being too lazy to make up their own characters and just looking for ways of getting more readers by having them submit characters instead of making an actual good story with an interesting plot and gripping scenes.

In my most humble opinion as a Fan Fiction Mod at a forum where asking for people to submit characters is not allowed, I'd say that if you're only doing this because you think it will attract more readers, then you have no faith in your own writing skills and expect the fic itself to be bad. If such is the case, then please never write again, because honestly, not only should you seriously not be writing just to gain readers, but you should honestly try to work on making an overall good fic that people will be interested in, not a dull fic that people will only want to read because it has their own characters in it.

I understand that this may very well come off as a flame telling you you're a horrible writer, however in reality I am merely attempting to point out that there are better ways to gain readers than have them submit characters.

My suggestion? Scrap this idea for one that you yourself will WANT to write. Give it an interesting, exciting plot that will get readers' attentions, but will also make you want to keep writing because YOU find it exhilarating and it pits you on the edge of your seat. If a writer isn't interested in their own story, nobody else will be.

But in any case, if your mind is made up then that's that, and I won’t try to stop you or anyone who may wish to submit a character. All I can do is implore you to seriously rethink this entire story for your own sake, and wish you good luck in whatever sort of writing endeavor you wish to attempt.

~Psychic
Old 08-14-2007, 05:06 AM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora
Default Re: Pitch-in Fiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychic View Post
D: Character submitting has been done millions of times before, and is most commonly thought of as being the reader being too lazy to make up their own characters and just looking for ways of getting more readers by having them submit characters instead of making an actual good story with an interesting plot and gripping scenes.

In my most humble opinion as a Fan Fiction Mod at a forum where asking for people to submit characters is not allowed, I'd say that if you're only doing this because you think it will attract more readers, then you have no faith in your own writing skills and expect the fic itself to be bad. If such is the case, then please never write again, because honestly, not only should you seriously not be writing just to gain readers, but you should honestly try to work on making an overall good fic that people will be interested in, not a dull fic that people will only want to read because it has their own characters in it.

I understand that this may very well come off as a flame telling you you're a horrible writer, however in reality I am merely attempting to point out that there are better ways to gain readers than have them submit characters.

My suggestion? Scrap this idea for one that you yourself will WANT to write. Give it an interesting, exciting plot that will get readers' attentions, but will also make you want to keep writing because YOU find it exhilarating and it pits you on the edge of your seat. If a writer isn't interested in their own story, nobody else will be.

But in any case, if your mind is made up then that's that, and I won’t try to stop you or anyone who may wish to submit a character. All I can do is implore you to seriously rethink this entire story for your own sake, and wish you good luck in whatever sort of writing endeavor you wish to attempt.

~Psychic
What she said. Seriously dude, evolution made our brains capable of creativity. If people want to see their own characters in a fic, they'll write the story themselves, and that's what you shoud be doing too. Turn your brain on and let the creative ideas flow. The creation of a good character is based entirely on how you envision the characters to interact together. ood character development has always been the thing that has captured my attention in good literature, and if you attempt to develop someone else's character, then they often get mighty angry, cause there are going to be several dozens of ways a character can grow, and only one way that a perswon who makes a character can envision it.