Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Intro Boards » PE2K Front Desk

PE2K Front Desk Forum announcements will be posted here. Any questions, suggestions or ideas concerning the forum or the website should also be posted in here. If you need help on your avatar or signature, or help on using the forum, this is the place to go.

Old 01-22-2005, 07:18 PM
Hoenn Mirror Girl Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via ICQ to Hoenn Mirror Girl Send a message via AIM to Hoenn Mirror Girl Send a message via MSN to Hoenn Mirror Girl Send a message via Yahoo to Hoenn Mirror Girl
Default I think we need to consider something (especially goes for fan fic authors)...

Do you think we should make a Basic Fan Fic FAQ board like PokeCommunity and Serebii's? The reason I ask is because the thing I had with Yamato can happen all over again, and the last thing I want is a flame war because of something that was intended to be constructive criticism.

http://www.serebiiforums.com/newforu...hread.php?t=19
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18984

Here are the links the the FAQs. I hope everyone (primarily the fan fic authors) agree with this idea. If not, then I'll drop it.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:36 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga
Default Re: I think we need to consider something (especially goes for fan fic authors)...

Thing is, Serebii and PC have a much stricter means of how they handle fan fiction. Anything that isn't even remotely good, they'll go as far as locking it. We've never done that here since things are much more free. Still, their guides are very informative, either way you look at it. We've created a large series of smaller guides here, but most of them don't cover what they do.

It depends on how you want to approach it. It's a big, big thing to type out and ensure everything is right, and one of the biggest decisions is going to be deciding who is going to be the one to type the whole thing out and make sure we don't copy too much of what they say to make ours unique and different. And definitely, it should be someone who knows a lot about writing and how to handle making a guide like this.

Just a question, but who would you pick?

Old 01-22-2005, 07:58 PM
Phoenix004 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Phoenix004 Send a message via MSN to Phoenix004
Default Re: I think we need to consider something (especially goes for fan fic authors)...

I would like to post my support for this idea. Everybody loved those tips on Adventure, Fantasy, and Trainer fiction tips posted last summer. I say this is a great idea to encourage new writers.

"Remember, battles may be won or lost but if the battlers do not learn, the battle served no purpose."
Old 01-22-2005, 08:39 PM
LaprasRider Offline
Banned

Why not just PM your questions to the author and the author should return with the answer.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:05 PM
PokemonElite2000 Offline

Send a message via ICQ to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via AIM to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via MSN to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via Yahoo to PokemonElite2000

Sounds like a good idea to me. JIG, if you want, I'll put you in charge of making it and/or accept suggestions from others as well.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:48 PM
Jack of Clovers Offline
~lil leprechaun~

Send a message via ICQ to Jack of Clovers Send a message via AIM to Jack of Clovers Send a message via MSN to Jack of Clovers Send a message via Yahoo to Jack of Clovers Send a message via Skype™ to Jack of Clovers

yea, i was thinking about this too since i visited PC one day to check out the fanfic section.
i can help in some way if needed. i recently wrote a story capture guide for the URPG (click here) so i have an idea what a guide should look like.

~Jack~

-| Links |-
Old 01-24-2005, 04:52 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Whew, okay...

I promised JIG on AIM that I would do this, since I have written a smaller guide on adventure fan fictions already, and it was given a lot of praise. I don't mind writing up a master version, but I will be using pieces of the original guide, such as parts about description, plot, and the like. I've looked over both guides posted at Serebii Forums and PC, and I know for a fact I can write one that will greatly surpass theirs. I couldn't believe how many key elements they left out in their guides...

Again, I'll glady write this, which I hope will inspire many new fan fictions authors to come forward as well as passing down the skills I have learned over the many years I have been writing. All I ask for... is time. I'll also try to keep in close contact with JIG on AIM as I write this, and hopefully the two of us working close together will create the best fan fiction guide possible.

Old 01-24-2005, 09:22 AM
HKim Offline
Editor-in-chief

Send a message via AIM to HKim Send a message via Yahoo to HKim Send a message via Skype™ to HKim

Neo do you plan on creating these guides in separate threads or in one main thread? Perhaps it would be best if you simply link it through Mario's Rules Thread or insert it in there. That way the FanFic Section isn't completely cluttered at the top.

Also, wasn't there a link thread to the fanfictions? I know that with so many authors out there, it would be impossible to keep updating it constantly with each story, but perhaps we can create a thread for all completed stories on the forum. Since the authors wouldn't don't update them, they usually fall back a few pages. The writers have pride in their work and I wouldn't want them to feel left out just because they have completed their story.
"We love Him because He first loved us." 1 John 4:19
Challenge me in the URPG.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:32 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKim
Neo do you plan on creating these guides in separate threads or in one main thread? Perhaps it would be best if you simply link it through Mario's Rules Thread or insert it in there. That way the FanFic Section isn't completely cluttered at the top.

Also, wasn't there a link thread to the fanfictions? I know that with so many authors out there, it would be impossible to keep updating it constantly with each story, but perhaps we can create a thread for all completed stories on the forum. Since the authors wouldn't don't update them, they usually fall back a few pages. The writers have pride in their work and I wouldn't want them to feel left out just because they have completed their story.
Actually, that link thread is the Storybook Corner, which Satou created.

As for the guide, it will be one thread, and I'll take down my old guide to put up the new one. As for the other two, I'll need to talk to JIG about that, but in my honest opinion, the new guide will basically be a combination of all three of them and then some.

Hopefully that will work.

Old 01-24-2005, 07:22 PM
Jack of Clovers Offline
~lil leprechaun~

Send a message via ICQ to Jack of Clovers Send a message via AIM to Jack of Clovers Send a message via MSN to Jack of Clovers Send a message via Yahoo to Jack of Clovers Send a message via Skype™ to Jack of Clovers

you should put all the guides in one thread to lessen the stickies at the top. just quote the other guides into the thread.
and i always liked the Storybook Corner but it wasn't updated often enough. we should work on that.

~Jack~

-| Links |-
Old 01-28-2005, 07:15 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

All done.

Taking Your Writing to the Next Level

I put a lot of time and effort into it, and I definitely think it excels above the two guides at Serebii and PC by far. In all, I hope it's definitely more than what people were expecting, and I hope it does pave the path to help people improve with their story writing for many years to come.

Old 01-28-2005, 10:07 PM
Hoenn Mirror Girl Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via ICQ to Hoenn Mirror Girl Send a message via AIM to Hoenn Mirror Girl Send a message via MSN to Hoenn Mirror Girl Send a message via Yahoo to Hoenn Mirror Girl

Beautiful guide, Juno. Beautiful. Just plain beautiful.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:12 AM
Jack of Clovers Offline
~lil leprechaun~

"So, how does relate to Pokémon fan fiction?"
--just a grammer error i noticed in the second post

also:
Quote:
Personal Scale Threats
Scarface – Tony’s own struggle to power
The Godfather – Michael trying to gain power in the criminal world
i don't think everyone who writes a Pokemon story has seen these movies. maybe use some other examples too...

otherwise, nicely written.

~Jack~

-| Links |-