Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  
 

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Interactive Projects

Interactive Projects Post your latest ideas and work with others to create masterpieces to astound the world!


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-03-2007, 01:47 AM
troacctid's Avatar
troacctid Offline
Elite Trainer
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Sebastopol, California
Posts: 685
Send a message via AIM to troacctid
Default Pokémon-themed Magic: the Gathering block

I have ventured out to try my hand at making an entire block that is centered around the pride of Nintendo. No, not Mario. Pokémon. A whole block. This particular block will have 4 sets, one for each generation of Pokémon games. I'm quite a ways through the first set, titled Red & Blue. Check it out. Remember, all the cards in this set are restricted to Pokémon, items, moves, and locations from the first generation only.

Here's the main block mechanic, evolution. The execution of this mechanic was tricky, because I wanted it to feel like you were "upgrading" the Pokémon you had in play already, rather than sacrificing it to get out something bigger on the cheap, like with Offering. This is what I came up with.




Another mechanic I added in was poison. It seemed like a reasonable fit with all the poison-types that'll be hanging around.



Since lots of shuffling is likely to be happening with evolution going on, I placed extra emphasis on the library for this block.



Here are some of the cycles. There's a vertical cycle of Pokéballs, where each one can give you a Pokémon from your library, but the higher rarity ones let you look further down, with the Master Ball allowing access to your entire deck. There's a cycle of gym leaders, each of which has an effect that depends on how many Pokémon you control. There's a cycle of enchantments that you can use now for one effect, or keep around for another. Then there's an uncommon cycle of lands that cross Shadowblood Ridge with Graven Cairn.




Here are some more that I like. Beedrill shows off a nice benefit of my execution of evolution. For Blastoise, well, I'm sure many of you remember the old "Rain Dance," and I did my best to emulate that. There's also some other various cards that were interesting enough to show off.




Last but not least of my previews, a little present for those of us who skipped the St. Anne and traded for a Pokémon that knew Cut, then came back later after getting Surf. It made us say "WTF?" then, and it'll make you say "WTF?" now. Don't ask me what it's for. Ladies and gentlemen, the truck!



So...any impressions? Qué crees?

I have compiled a trailer for the set.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuoU0pA86ac

Last edited by Kenny_C.002; 07-09-2007 at 06:16 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-09-2007, 06:11 AM
Kenny_C.002's Avatar
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hina <3
Posts: 12,268
Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002
Default Re: Pokémon-themed Magic: the Gathering block

I've seen some of these before, IIRC. Back in PC, I think. o_O

The evolution mechanic needs a lot of work.

Anyways, vulpix is meh. Ninetales is busted.

I don't think clefairy and clefable are being done in the manner you want it to happen. They bounce before combat damage is assigned. This means that they won't kill whatever they block, but they'll still be considered blocked/blocking (depending on whether the cle's are attacking or blocking).

Grimer is generic.

Pokedex and slowpoke look ok.

Masterball is ok. Psychic is weird, and probably should be cut from the set, since it lacks synergy. Sabrina is busted. She's opposition, except 3 times more powerful if you play pokemon. Unknown Dungeon's just a filter land.

Blastoise: flavour problem. When in magic, you don't consider pokemon by TYPE, rather than by its philosophy. This means that a Rain dance Blastoise is actually green (counter intuitive ftw). Beedrill is..hmmm....weird. Give you credit for trying something creative there, though. It feels like a Pride of the Clouds, either way.

Arbok and dream eater are fine.

Truck:
ability should be "untap target noncreature artifact other than mysterious truck".
Strange card, might be worthwhile.

Unfortunately, the input you have from me will be the only input you get. :-/
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-09-2007, 06:36 AM
troacctid's Avatar
troacctid Offline
Elite Trainer
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Sebastopol, California
Posts: 685
Send a message via AIM to troacctid
Default Re: Pokémon-themed Magic: the Gathering block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_C.002 View Post
I've seen some of these before, IIRC. Back in PC, I think. o_O

The evolution mechanic needs a lot of work.
Yeah, costing is tough. It really needs to be playtested.

Quote:
Anyways, vulpix is meh. Ninetales is busted.
You think so? Yeah, maybe. Again, it's hard to do development when you can't playtest.

Quote:
I don't think clefairy and clefable are being done in the manner you want it to happen. They bounce before combat damage is assigned. This means that they won't kill whatever they block, but they'll still be considered blocked/blocking (depending on whether the cle's are attacking or blocking).
No, thats what I wanted. I like the Zephyr Spirit mechanic; I just think it's execution was...blech. I wanted to give it another shot.

Quote:
Grimer is generic.

Pokedex and slowpoke look ok.

Masterball is ok.
Can't argue with that.

Quote:
Psychic is weird, and probably should be cut from the set, since it lacks synergy.
I disagree. I think it's a cool mechanic. (Although it's questionable whether my cycle is the best execution.) Everything shouldn't have to have synergy with the main theme. That would be a lame set. It's good to have generic cards and strange cards.

Quote:
Sabrina is busted. She's opposition, except 3 times more powerful if you play pokemon.
No way. Opposition was much harder to get rid of, didn't have summoning sickness, and didn't require lots of guys with the same creature type. It also didn't have to choose all its targets at once. I think Time Spiral's Magi have shown that making noncreature cards into creatures gives them a large enough drawback to make them fair. Sabrina is strong, but nothing that can't be solved with a little number-nudging if she turns out to be broken.

Quote:
Unknown Dungeon's just a filter land.
True. Gotta have colorfixing, though.

Quote:
Blastoise: flavour problem. When in magic, you don't consider pokemon by TYPE, rather than by its philosophy. This means that a Rain dance Blastoise is actually green (counter intuitive ftw).
I know. (Although it could also easily be red.) I weighed it over in my mind, and I decided the coolness of it was worth breaking that rule. It also helped that there was a precedent, High Tide. Which was before the modern color pie. But I thought it was a good enough excuse.

Quote:
Beedrill is..hmmm....weird. Give you credit for trying something creative there, though. It feels like a Pride of the Clouds, either way.

Arbok and dream eater are fine.
Thanks.

Quote:
Truck:
ability should be "untap target noncreature artifact other than mysterious truck".
Strange card, might be worthwhile.
I could easily see it in combo decks with Summoning Station.

Quote:
Unfortunately, the input you have from me will be the only input you get. :-/
That is sad. (Luckily, I posted this on other forums too. So you might be wrong. )
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Design: AlienSector.com