Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Games » Fourth Generation

Fourth Generation Discuss the fourth generation Pokemon games: Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold and SoulSilver.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:08 PM
mjb4991 Offline
Banned

Default Re: EVs made simple (Now with in-depth training guides!)

Is there any easy to fight pokemon in pearl that gives 1 ev in defence and one in sp.def? If so what and where?
Old 07-28-2007, 02:04 AM
neji_hyuuga Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb4991 View Post
Is there any easy to fight pokemon in pearl that gives 1 ev in defence and one in sp.def? If so what and where?
That'll be Duskull. I don't believe they're very common, though.

Old 07-28-2007, 03:37 AM
Ture pokemon master Offline
Elite Trainer

Thank You Thank You X1000, This Guide Helped Me So Much. It Was At A Level That It Was Easy For Anyone To Read And Get The First Time Thank You :)
Old 07-29-2007, 10:50 PM
Loveydovey Offline

Send a message via MSN to Loveydovey

I have a big question! ;_;
If, for example, you're battling a pokémon that gives 2 evs in speed and your total ev count in speed is 251. Will the extra ev be deleted or will it still count for the 510 limit?
Old 07-30-2007, 12:46 AM
troacctid Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to troacctid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveydovey View Post
I have a big question! ;_;
If, for example, you're battling a pokémon that gives 2 evs in speed and your total ev count in speed is 251. Will the extra ev be deleted or will it still count for the 510 limit?
The max EVs in a stat is 255, not 252. 252 is the cutoff for where it stops being divisible by 4. Since stat calculations always round down, 252 EVs is exactly the same as 255 EVs. The reason it is not advisable to use all 255 EVs is because you "waste" 3 EVs that, if teamed up with the other 3 EVs from the second stat you train, will raise a third stat by one point.

So to your question as worded, the answer is, yes, you will still gain the EVs and they will not count towards your stats. But only the first 3 extra EVs past 252 will work this way. After that, it becomes impossible to gain any more. If it was possible to get more than 255, they would count towards your stats.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:49 AM
Loveydovey Offline

Send a message via MSN to Loveydovey

Ah, yes I forgot about the real limit per stat. :D
Now, you're saying that those extra evs gained will not be added up in that stat, but they still will be added to the 510 count?
Old 07-31-2007, 03:47 PM
Sunder Offline
Amateur Trainer

I'm still in refusal to EV-train my pokemon. I will prove they are better than ANY EV-trained team.

See those beady little eyes? He's a killer folks.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:03 PM
Molten-Metal Offline

k so if you have a pokemon with no EV's watsoever at lvl 99 and you get it all 255 befor lvl 100 would it gain 63 more points to that stat when it lvld cos that doesn't sound right
Old 08-01-2007, 03:56 AM
troacctid Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveydovey View Post
Ah, yes I forgot about the real limit per stat. :D
Now, you're saying that those extra evs gained will not be added up in that stat, but they still will be added to the 510 count?
Nope, I'm not saying that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunder View Post
I'm still in refusal to EV-train my pokemon. I will prove they are better than ANY EV-trained team.
*Shrug* You could have worse stats and still be better, if you had stronger movesets. Nobody said that EV trained guys are always better than non-EV trained guys--after all, there are lots of other factors, most notably the moveset, and the skill of the Pokémon's pilot. But is there a downside to having every possible edge? Anyhoo, if you're dead-set on this, I recommend against training a Shedinja.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molten-Metal View Post
k so if you have a pokemon with no EV's watsoever at lvl 99 and you get it all 255 befor lvl 100 would it gain 63 more points to that stat when it lvld cos that doesn't sound right
Well, the game is deceptive in the way it adds to your stats. The truth is, that bit on the level-up where it has all the plus signs isn't addition, it's subtraction. It doesn't add to your stats, it recalculates them completely and tells you the difference between the new stat and the old stat. However, this sometimes confuses people into thinking things like "EVs don't give you a bonus if you get them at a low level" or stuff like that.

What you suggested is not quite so difficult to test. If you maxed out a Lucario's speed and attack, and at level 99, noticed it was Modest, decided to change it to a special sweeper, used enough Tamato berries to reduce its attack EVs to 0, then maxed its special attack before you level it up...that'd answer your question nicely.

Don't expect me to do that for you, though.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:47 PM
Dragon trainner guy Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Dragon trainner guy Send a message via Yahoo to Dragon trainner guy

is thier a way to gain ev's wen my poke lv is 100 i heard rummors but i cant find where i last saw it at

pbr fc 313636350060 MAgma city col leader in pbr league
Old 08-01-2007, 04:48 PM
troacctid Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon trainner guy View Post
is thier a way to gain ev's wen my poke lv is 100 i heard rummors but i cant find where i last saw it at
At level 100, you can still use Vitamins, but battling will no longer work. This is because EVs are gained with experience, and lv100 Pokémon stop gaining experience--therefore, they can no longer gain EVs.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:10 PM
Ture pokemon master Offline
Elite Trainer

Hi, I finished my EV traning. I know I can level it to 100 , but my question is is there a difference if I use rare candies or just leveling it up?
Old 08-01-2007, 09:04 PM
mjb4991 Offline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by troacctid View Post
At level 100, you can still use Vitamins, but battling will no longer work. This is because EVs are gained with experience, and lv100 Pokémon stop gaining experience--therefore, they can no longer gain EVs.
I read on psypokes.com that you can get 4 EVs, deposit your pokemon and repeat and you can EV train that way.

once pokemon are done with EVs you can level them up ANY way. So rare candies are fine.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:43 AM
troacctid Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ture pokemon master View Post
Hi, I finished my EV traning. I know I can level it to 100 , but my question is is there a difference if I use rare candies or just leveling it up?
The difference is that one way takes lots of time and the other way takes lots of rare candies.

Actually, that rare candies have a negative effect on stats is only a myth. Before, after, or during your EV training, rare candies have no impact. In fact, before you start EV training, rare candies are actually safer than battling, since battling will probably give you unwanted EVs that will reduce the maximum amount your desired stats can reach.

What does hurt EV training is if you already have unnecessary EVs when you start, or if you are lv100. A lv100 Pokémon can no longer gain EVs through experience, so it becomes impossible to train. So if you continually feed a Pokémon rare candies until its level can't go higher, then it can't be EV trained. But personally, I wouldn't blame that on the rare candies.

In any case, I recommend saving your rare candies for after you pass level 70 or so in order to get the most experience out of each one.

By the way, I just noticed the cloning guide is stickied. How come the cloning guide gets stickied and I get shafted? Come on! Look at that effort! Look at that comprehensiveness! It ain't fair, I tell ya! Everything you need to know about EVs, right there! What they are, how they work, how to train them, where to train them, how long to train them, what Pokémon to train them against, why to use them, what affects them, what doesn't affect them, and all expressed in simple and easily understandable terms. Whereas on the other hand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSkarmory
Alright! Here's the famous Pokemon Cloning Glitch guide! Some people don't appreciate cloned pokemon, but if you see them, tell them there's really nothing wrong with them. Anywho, let's get to the guide, made by me.

Requirements:
Nintendo Wifi
Pokemon being cloned
Patience...

Steps:

1. Fly/Walk to Jubilife City.

2. Head on over to the GTS and connect to Nintendo Wifi Connection.

3. Select "Desposit Pokemon"

4. Select an impossible to get, or bogus deal. I use Palkia lvl 9 and under but these should work well:

Palkia lvl 9 and under
Mewtwo lvl 9 and under
Lugia lvl 9 and under
Ho-Oh lvl 9 and under
Dialga lvl 9 and under.

DO NOT SELECT A POKEMON THAT"S POSSIBLE TO GET such as lvl 100 Bagon. I learned this the hard way, and lost a Shiny Milotic. Quit laughing you punk...

5. *HARDEST STEP!* Toward the bottom right you shall see a clock ticking. When it has circuited 7 times, watch closely, and when it gets between 7:45-7:55 ticks, shut your DS off. Now sometimes the pokemon will be transferred at like 7:25 or 7:15 but you'll just have to take it out and try again.

6. Turn your DS back on, it should say the file is corrupted. YOUR GAME IS NOT DAMAGED.

7. If you're walking out of the GTS when you get on, you've failed, and must redo steps 1-7 again. If you're standing across from the counter you MAY have succeeded. Enter the GTS.

8.If it say "SUMMARY" and you already have your pokemon, you've succeeded! Withdraw your cloned pokemon and enjoy.

Now, I got nothin' against SilverSkarmory, but I see no reason why this tiny little thing should be pinned instead of mine, and I especially see no reason why it should be locked so that people can't publicly compliment the author or get help with troubleshooting and such. Not to mention that it doesn't even include that bit with the light on the USB adapter and how it blinks off or something at the point where you have to shut off the DS, which really simplifies things, but isn't touched on here. Oh, and there's another whole cloning guide out there that's actually better. Not to mention that I have like three times as many views.

Mods: take action!

Last edited by troacctid; 08-07-2007 at 04:40 AM.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:53 PM
Blastiose Offline
Amateur Trainer

I have a EV question what would a EV trained blastiose have in sp.atk?

~*I miss the Johto Games and wish they'd re-make them for the DS. If you think so too, put this in your Sig. Started by emerald suicune*~