Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Games » Fourth Generation

Fourth Generation Discuss the fourth generation Pokemon games: Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold and SoulSilver.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:33 AM
Eiyoko Offline
Experienced Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Eiyoko Send a message via MSN to Eiyoko
Default Re: EVs made simple (Now with in-depth training guides!)

I've been waiting for an EV guide like this for a LONG time. Kudos! <3

Old 07-17-2007, 04:56 PM
MustangGT Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via ICQ to MustangGT Send a message via AIM to MustangGT Send a message via Yahoo to MustangGT

This is the best EV guide I've ever seen, It's easy to read and understandable. Good job (forgive spelling) Troacttcid

Old 07-17-2007, 07:59 PM
troacctid Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to troacctid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaySai View Post
say u have a new pokemon and its lvl1 never fought any pokemon can u use exp share and lvl it up high then start ev training? or does that mess things up
No, you can't do that. In fighting battles, you will gain unwanted EVs, and you won't be able to max out the stats you want to max out, unless by chance everysingle Pokémon you fough provided only EVs that you were going to give your Pokémon anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaySai View Post
so what your saying up there is what we should train on to get the max ev that we want right? so if we want a REALLY strong atk pokemon we'd do the atk thing up there by fighting gyrados? and after atk u can do hp? and fill in the rest with w/e u want?
Well, those are just suggestions. There are lots of ways you can get a certain type of EVs. I just did some digging in Vs. Seeker guides and wild Pokémon locations and percentages, then I did some math to figure out how many you need to fight to get 252 EVs. You don't have to use those methods if you want to max out your stats; there are other methods that produce the same results. I just picked ones that are relatively quick and easy. You don't even have to stop at 252 f you don't want to bother with the math. You can just have your Pokémon fight Magikarps and Goldeens until you get the effort ribbon, and it'll have maxed-out attack and speed.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:20 PM
Blastiose Offline
Amateur Trainer

I have just one thing about EVs when your pokemon are level one hundred and you are battling other people. say its two of the same pokemon. Like a Diglet level 100 that used EVs in Sp Atk and Attck and a diglet level 100 that was trained by just battling. well if the EV trained one attacked with the same move as the other one say mud slap they would both be down to the same health because the EV one has better Sp Atk but attacking one that has a moderatly good special defense, and the regular one attacking with a regular Sp Atk would attack the EV diglet with a more poor special defense. So EVs aren't real important are they? if so wath does it give the pokemon other than the right to say that your pokemon has a Sp Atk of 400?

~*I miss the Johto Games and wish they'd re-make them for the DS. If you think so too, put this in your Sig. Started by emerald suicune*~
Old 07-17-2007, 10:49 PM
troacctid Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastiose View Post
I have just one thing about EVs when your pokemon are level one hundred and you are battling other people. say its two of the same pokemon. Like a Diglet level 100 that used EVs in Sp Atk and Attck and a diglet level 100 that was trained by just battling. well if the EV trained one attacked with the same move as the other one say mud slap they would both be down to the same health because the EV one has better Sp Atk but attacking one that has a moderatly good special defense, and the regular one attacking with a regular Sp Atk would attack the EV diglet with a more poor special defense. So EVs aren't real important are they? if so wath does it give the pokemon other than the right to say that your pokemon has a Sp Atk of 400?
Well, I should have mostly covered this in "Why should I EV train?" but you've posed a specific situation here that I can answer you on. The real question you've asked here is whether an attacker should be trained in defense as well. The answer here is, yes, it's perfectly feasible to train an attacker to take hits as well as dish them out. These are generally referred to as "tanks" and are usually Pokémon that have good attack, but need the defenses to take hits because they have low speed, and are probably going to have to take hits before they get an attack in. Common examples of Pokémon like this are Snorlax, Hippowdon, and Swampert. This is also the reason they tend to like using Curse--they have low enough speed already that is doesn't matter to them that it goes down, so it's easily worth the boosted attack and defense.

However, even in these cases, you still want to EV train. There are still stats you don't want to waste EVs on. Special attack won't help with STAB'd Earthquakes or Returns, and in this case speed is unnecessary, since you've already given up on it, and would only serve to outspeed other tanks.

And if you have something more like Sharpedo who is far too fragile to benefit from training defenses, since he'll be OHKO'd most of the time anyway--well then, it's far more useful to maximize his offensive potential by training in attack and speed, since he's not sturdy enough to take many hits even with max defenses.

EVs are really all about focus. A Pokémon that tries to train the less important stats as much as the important stats will be weaker where it counts. Your Zangoose without max attack won't do enough damage to KO any Pokémon with half-decent defense while still getting knocked out in one or two hits by any Pokémon with half-decent special attack. But if you EV train, you add focus to your stats, and you let them reach their fullest potential in exchange for discarding the stats you don't need.

In fact, even something with perfectly-rounded stats, like a Glalie, will benefit from focus. The benefit you gain is that instead of doing lots of things, but doing all of them crappily, you only do one thing, but you do a good job of it. Since you're allowed to have six Pokémon on your team, you can then compensate for what one Pokémon might not be able to do by having another Pokémon that's very good at it. This is why you see a lot of SkarmBliss. Blissey is good at taking special hits, but bad at taking physical hits. Skarmory is good at taking physical hits, but bad at taking special hits. Together, they form a wall that's very difficult to get through if you aren't properly prepared.

So as you can see, focus gives you much more power than here-there-everywhere training, because it lets you be better at the things you're good at. And rather than try to train your Pokémon to be good at what they're usually bad at, it's almost always better to use a different Pokémon that is good at it, because it's almost certain to do a better job, and you can always use both.

Last edited by troacctid; 07-17-2007 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:14 AM
Blastiose Offline
Amateur Trainer

so if I trained my Kyogre from the pokemon league in ruby saphire and some emerald what would be my EV gain would it be all around or what? i don't know what an EV trained Kyogre should be its special attack is 380 but i watched a video on youtube and the Kyogre was level90 and it had a 390 sp Atk.

~*I miss the Johto Games and wish they'd re-make them for the DS. If you think so too, put this in your Sig. Started by emerald suicune*~

Last edited by Blastiose; 07-18-2007 at 12:18 AM.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:17 AM
troacctid Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastiose View Post
so if I trained my Kyogre from the pokemon league in ruby saphire and some emerald what would be my EV gain would it be all around or what? i don't know what an EV trained Kyogre should be its special attack is 380 but i watched a video on youtube and the Kyogre was level90 and it had a 390 sp Atk.
A lv100 Kyogre with max Sp. Atk EVs and an advantageous nature can have up to 438 Special Attack. As for what EVs you have from exclusively fighting the Elite Four, you could figure that out by looking at all the Pokémon they have, figuring out how many they each give, and then doing some math...but frankly, that's too much trouble for me. You could do it if you want...but it would be easier, I think, to trade for a new Kyogre and try EV training that one.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:32 AM
rebelde33 Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via Yahoo to rebelde33

So if I'm EV training for attack and beat all those Gyarados the guide says, am I done EV training for that stat and can I just use rare candies to level the pokemon up to level 100? Or should I just keep training until level 100?
Old 07-21-2007, 05:33 AM
Yonowarru Offline

Cool! This will help me out alot! :)

Ghost Pokemon User, if you couldn't tell. :P
Old 07-22-2007, 05:38 AM
rebelde33 Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelde33 View Post
So if I'm EV training for attack and beat all those Gyarados the guide says, am I done EV training for that stat and can I just use rare candies to level the pokemon up to level 100? Or should I just keep training until level 100?
Anyone care to help me on my last post?
Old 07-24-2007, 12:25 AM
troacctid Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelde33 View Post
Anyone care to help me on my last post?
No, because you'll only have maxed out your attack. You can max out up to two stats, so you'll have 258 EVs left.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:38 AM
rebelde33 Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by troacctid View Post
No, because you'll only have maxed out your attack. You can max out up to two stats, so you'll have 258 EVs left.
Yeah that's what I meant. So if I do what the guide says and max out two stats at an early level, can I use rare candies to level up to lv100 or should I keep training?
Old 07-24-2007, 04:47 AM
Kunphyuzed Offline
New Trainer

Also, so you mentioned those last 6 ev's, so where do those 4 that can be used go? If I happen to train a stat to 255, is it wasted?
Old 07-24-2007, 08:28 AM
Todd6 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via MSN to Todd6

This has really helped me.

PD FC: 0902 9558 4699
I was the leader of the Hawkeye Flying Colloseum, For pokemon Battle Revolution.
PBR FC: 3437 0093 7261
Old 07-27-2007, 06:59 PM
Ace123456789 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Ace123456789

wow, thank you soooo much, this will make EV training sooo easy. the in-depth part is what makes it sooooo good. best ev guide i've seen.