Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Intro Boards » Pokemon News

Pokemon News Here you will find the Pokemon news that is on the website, posted here also so you can reply with any comments/questions.

Old 11-17-2004, 07:43 AM
PokemonElite2000 Offline

Send a message via ICQ to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via AIM to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via MSN to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via Yahoo to PokemonElite2000
Default Pokemon Online Game A Good Idea? Jim Merrick Thinks So!

Pokemon Online Game A Good Idea? Jim Merrick Thinks So!
-11/16/04-

Jim Merrick, Senior Director of European Marketing, was interviewed by Edge magazine to talk about online multiplayer gaming. He brings up that Pokemon would make a good game, saying that a Pokemon online game "could work very well." Here's that part of the interview:

Edge: But those hurdles - technological and financial - are diminishing. What will the situation be when they become negligible?

Merrick: I think online can be a compelling feature in the right game, so I can play with people I know rather than strangers, rather than being beaten by an eight-year-old who has devoted a significant portion of their young life to that particular game. Nintendo has a lot of properties which could be compelling online - let's say Pokemon, that could work very well. Would that mean that people would stop playing Pokemon offline? Not at all. It's just a feature, a strong feature. It's like multiplayer gaming. A strong multiplayer game must always stand on its own feet as a strong singleplayer game because your friends aren't always around.

Before moving to the Europe position in 2003, Merrick was with Nintendo of America as a Software Engineering Manager and Network Marketing Director. He worked with Nintendo president Satoru Iwata on network and internet game strategy for Nintendo.

So what does this all mean? Well obviously there's no official plans for a Pokemon online game. However, if Nintendo ever goes to the internet gaming business (which I think is only a matter of time), then it sounds like a online Pokemon title would be a good idea for Nintendo. If Merrick thinks it's a good idea, that's a good sign.

Related Links
Read the entire interview: Nintendo Speaks Out!

*For news complete with pictures, go to the website: www.pokemonelite2000.com
Old 11-19-2004, 01:39 AM
Squirtle,Totodile,Mudkip Offline
Amateur Trainer

Location: Where do you think? In a chair in front of my computer.
Default Re: Pokemon Online Game A Good Idea? Jim Merrick Thinks So!

Great!!! Someone who can help make online Pokemon thinks it's a good idea! Thanks for telling us, PE2K!
Old 11-19-2004, 02:06 PM
Missingno mystery Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

I'm hoping that if Nintendo did decide to do an online Pokemon game, they'll also make it impossible for companies to create a cheating device for it.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:29 PM
Jack of Clovers Offline
~lil leprechaun~

Send a message via ICQ to Jack of Clovers Send a message via AIM to Jack of Clovers Send a message via MSN to Jack of Clovers Send a message via Yahoo to Jack of Clovers Send a message via Skype™ to Jack of Clovers

it's about time. i just hope you don't have to pay to play every month or whatever. if turns out like that, i won't bother with it.

~Jack~

-| Links |-
Old 12-01-2004, 05:37 PM
ashkelon Offline
Elite Trainer

I want this to happen so bad it hurts. Trouble is I will burn all my vacation time from work on it. Seriously. I talked to some of my friends, and even the one who've tired of, or were never seriously into, pokemon think it's a perfect idea. To really go on your pokemon journey -- awesome. I'd even be willing to watch my language -- and thats a struggle for me.

Old 12-01-2004, 06:11 PM
boltAge Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to boltAge

I bet if they do come out with one, we'll have to pay for it, come on, since when did Nintendo give you games for free?(Uhhh...Excluding the Metroid demo thing, that isn't a real game...right? 8]).

I'll kill Nintendo if the graphics are like Colloseum/Stadium. Those polygons thingey ain't my stuff.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:47 PM
ashkelon Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltAge
I bet if they do come out with one, we'll have to pay for it, come on, since when did Nintendo give you games for free?(Uhhh...Excluding the Metroid demo thing, that isn't a real game...right? 8]).

I'll kill Nintendo if the graphics are like Colloseum/Stadium. Those polygons thingey ain't my stuff.
Oh, no doubt. I was at least hoping you'd be able to buy time for it at department stores, like you do for Napster or phone cards. And you're right, I hope they won't make it look like Orre -- but it could be worse -- it could look like animal crossing.

Old 12-01-2004, 09:11 PM
Monheart Offline
New Trainer

I had kind of always hoped that Pokemon would stay away from online, simply because I thought I was so good at the GB games until I downloaded Netbattle... Many of those people are way out of my league...

Anyway, I like this idea too, for a few simple reasons. I had always dreamed of a massive multiplayer RPG based on the Pokemon TCG. That would make the easy to make, fun to play, and easy to maintain your game. (it would suck of you only have a few hours a day to train Pokemon as opposed to someone who has every minute for the next 3 years to train a full party and then some of lv. 100s. But with the TCG, everyone gets an even chance to be good, simply by collecting cards, a task much more easily accomplished.) At one point, I was determined to make a game like this myself, but I had none of the resoruces available to me. (however, I am going to college to study game design, and I promise that this concept will be my first work in progress! mwa ha ha ha!)

If not, of course, I would love a game that at least gave people a varied storyline. I would like the game not to just be a storyless Run-around-and-kill-things RPG like most of the Online RPGs available (in opinion.) I would rather that the game made an attempt to create a veried storyline at least mostly different for each player with the ability to work with other characters to accomplish goals. This would give the player a vision of actually participating in the world in thier own way, and living thier own Pokemon Legend by creating thier own stories. (This is the kind of game where I was actually able to assembe resorces and managed to create. but since I use myself as the computer, it doesn't have the potential to be massive. Anyone interested can PM me.)

Personally, the only opinion I have about an Online Pokemon RPG, is how it's done.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:50 PM
ashkelon Offline
Elite Trainer

Sorry, but the cards don't interest me at all (except the ones I can get something by scanning them). MMO is a lot like life, other people's engrossing stories tend to look like chaos (or pointless) to somebody who's outside the story

Old 12-01-2004, 11:01 PM
Barret Offline

I was kinda hoping they wouldn't do this because I have a crappy computer, and there is no way it could hold all that memory, so I guess I'm alittle disappointed. I'll be missing the big game if it ever comes out.

Some Drug, Alcohol, and Domestic Violence Related Info and Statistics:
+One out of every two women will be raped in their lifetime
+One out of every three women will be sexually assaulted, raped, or beaten by the time they are 18
+In the US every 30 minutes someone is killed in an alcohol related traffic accident
+Over 15 million Americans are dependent on alcohol; 500,000 are between the age of 9 and 12
+Tobacco is the only thing that when used correctly, will kill you
Be Responsible. Don't be a Statistic.

Old 12-02-2004, 02:27 AM
Monheart Offline
New Trainer

I wouldn't worry about computer requirements. If I know the Pokemon Company, they'd never publish a game for the PC. What I believe they're more likely to do, is publish the game for a Nintendo Consule when (more like "IF") a Nintendo Consule establishes Online Gaming. In the case of Pokemon, probably a handheld system. I don't know if the Nintendo DS is capable of that, but if so, that would be even better.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:21 PM
Missingno mystery Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monheart
I wouldn't worry about computer requirements. If I know the Pokemon Company, they'd never publish a game for the PC. What I believe they're more likely to do, is publish the game for a Nintendo Consule when (more like "IF") a Nintendo Consule establishes Online Gaming. In the case of Pokemon, probably a handheld system. I don't know if the Nintendo DS is capable of that, but if so, that would be even better.
Nintendo GC does have online play capability (they only ever made 1 game as far as I can remember). And for the ppl saying "I hope we don't have to pay" mean I hope we don't have to pay to play. In order to play online xbox games you have to subscribe to xbox live and pay every month, and also most (if not all) systems require you to have a high speed connection (like I and many others DON'T have) to play the game online.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:31 PM
flyhighlatias! Offline
Experienced Trainer

Send a message via Yahoo to flyhighlatias!

well i too ponderd about the pokemon online game and like most of yall id like to happen but ive got two brothers, one plays starwars online and the other plays halo2 online(both xbox) so you can see my predicament but once i beat my brothers to a pulp i just hope i wont be the only one on at 3am
VCP(Hall of Fame)

lv.100

Team Soul : where it's at baby!
lets see you do THAT for an hour straight!
Old 12-03-2004, 06:12 PM
Psyducky Offline
Amateur Trainer

From what I understand the new DS system will have wireless capabilities with possible WiFi internet connections with the proper game. Could be an online game coming using the handheld.

That would rock.

I just wish they would come out with a game where you could be Team Rocket...
Old 12-03-2004, 10:15 PM
PokemonElite2000 Offline

Send a message via ICQ to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via AIM to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via MSN to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via Yahoo to PokemonElite2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyducky
From what I understand the new DS system will have wireless capabilities with possible WiFi internet connections with the proper game. Could be an online game coming using the handheld.

That would rock.

I just wish they would come out with a game where you could be Team Rocket...
Yep, you're exactly right, they just need to make a game to use that feature.