Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Intro Boards » Pokemon News

Pokemon News Here you will find the Pokemon news that is on the website, posted here also so you can reply with any comments/questions.

Old 11-22-2004, 09:29 PM
PokemonElite2000 Offline

Send a message via ICQ to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via AIM to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via MSN to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via Yahoo to PokemonElite2000
Default The Day After the Nintendo DS Release!

The Day After the Nintendo DS Release!
-11/22/04-

Not surprise here, the Nintendo DS is selling very well. Stores are selling them quick and shortages are expected. The 1 million units of the Nintendo DS will be expected to sell out before the end of the year.

Recap: EB Games at Universal CityWalk
Enthusiastic fans lined up hours before the launch of the Nintendo DS at the EB Games at Universal CityWalk in Los Angeles. Over 300 fans lined up for the premiere launch at 12:01 AM (November 21st), despite the rain that began pouring a few hours before the launch. A DJ was at the site to keep the people in line entertained. When it hit midnight, a fireworks display celebrated the launch of the Nintendo DS.

Related Links
Nintendo DS - Official Nintendo DS Website

*For news complete with pictures, go to the website: www.pokemonelite2000.com
Old 11-23-2004, 02:22 PM
ashkelon Offline
Elite Trainer

Default Re: The Day After the Nintendo DS Release!

Didn't see another review thread yet. If there is one, I won't post to this anymore.

I picked up 3 of them yesterday. I had 2 reserved and decided I wanted another one. ToysRUs actually had a lot of them that were not reserved. I could've picked up all 3 there. The GameStop didn't have any beyond the ones that were reserved, and a waiting list on those if they didn't get picked up.

I prefer the size of the SP. I didn't like the balance on the original GBA. This one is better balanced, and the top screen is easy to view. I'll get used to it.

The shoulder buttons are not as sensitive, which is great. I get tired of accidentally touching them on the SP and having the game react. You can actually rest your fingers on these and not have them fire until you press them.

The graphics are sweet. I just got the demo metroid game, since I didn't like any of the other release titles. The sound is crystal. R/S FR/LG are beautiful. Much easier to see and the music sounds great.

FR/LG did not detect the built-in wireless, and there is no place to plug in the external wireless. This stinks.

There is no way to plug the DS into the cube. The current cable won't work. This also sucks.

I hope there is a remedy to the linking problems, but maybe that won't happen.

The built-in chat is pretty nice, but I won't get much chance to use it (probably).

I'm not nuts about touch screens, especially the ones that are oil-filled between 2 thin contact membranes. I'm not heavy handed. Palm has had a lot of QC issues with theirs, and mine rarely lasted more than a couple years.

DON'T use stick-on screen protectors. They look like a good idea, but pushing the bubbles out when putting them on and pulling them off later is real hard on the screens and can separate the surfaces, causing pocket and dips that result in crap contact (so the programs spaz out when you use the stylus). Happens on Palms and Treos, so I won't use them on my DS.

I couldn't find any cases, or other addon's in the strores. Nintendo has some you can order, but come on, an off the rack case would be real nice, especially seeing it cost so much. It (sort of) fits in some of my old-style GBA cases, but I don't think well enough that it's really protected.

I'm kind of in a holding pattern with it now. I'll be using it, since the screen is so bright and beautiful, but will still have to bust out the SP any time I need connectivity.

I'll have a better feel for it when the new Pokemon games come out.

Old 11-23-2004, 03:11 PM
Missingno mystery Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

YAY! I play'd one at Wal-mart yesterday and the graphics are better than the screen snaps! I'm not going to get one till the price drops though (or I can't stand it and have to get the upcomming RP Pokemon games ).
Old 11-23-2004, 06:02 PM
Scizor Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via MSN to Scizor

great for us europeans....we need to wait untill march -_-

Maybe i'll buy it through internet, because it will be cheaper in the US. In Europa it will be +- 200 dollar...

Well, I hope when I go to the shop in march it was worth the waiting
Old 11-23-2004, 06:13 PM
ashkelon Offline
Elite Trainer

I'm not gonna edit the earlier post, it's long enough already.

I went to Nintendo.com, and they say they won't have communication or multiplayer functions for GBA games on the DS. You can still play them in singe-player mode, but that's it.

They say they didn't want to include the older GBA communication processor in this bleeding-edge machine. And since DS uses wireless for all it's communications, they have no plans to include cable or other comm functions.

They have pretty good reasons, but it's kind of like when they dropped the infrared going from the color to the advance. All the color games that used infrared were just screwed (like mystery gifting in pokemon).

Even the games that use wireless comm (like FR/LG) won't be able to detect or use the built-in wireless, and there's nowhere to attach cables or the other wireless device.

If you don't use it currently, you won't miss it, but it's rough for pokemon players. We STILL have to keep more than one handheld system running.

OK, I have all of the gameboys and cables, etc. for all of them, but if you have to trade in one system to afford another, it's cold. And that's lots of people.

OK, so far it's the only thing I don't really like.... but I wish they'd worked it out instead.

Heck FR/LG and the "new" wireless comm is barely out the door and it can't even use the DS wireless.

GRRRRR>

Old 11-24-2004, 02:47 AM
Pikachu Offline
Experienced Trainer

Location: Jumping around the house like a maniac while shouting out a song. (Los Angeles, CA)
Send a message via AIM to Pikachu Send a message via Yahoo to Pikachu

Yay, it's out!!! ^_^ They gave a big thing a Universal too. It sounds like it was probably a cool thing at Universal but I didn't hear about it. I can walk to Universal too. Gahhhh! ... Oh well. At least they're starting to pay attention to LA. Yay! Hopefully they'll start having events where you can get Deoxys or Lugia and Ho-Oh in LA too! ^_^

Anyway, DS sounds really awesome! It's going to be really cool to get it. Also, wow. Better graphics than the screenshots and FR/LG sounds better on it? I better get my hands on this! ^_^

On July the 23rd I'll have been at PE2K for exactly 4 years. That's kinda scary. O_o

Old 11-24-2004, 04:09 AM
NeoRevolution Offline
New Trainer

i got mine it is very good my bro is kinda mad because he cant use the wireless adaptor any more ( traded in his sp at ebgames ) yet i have both my advance and DS so just a warning if u like the wireless adaptor DONT trade in your sp
Old 11-24-2004, 03:35 PM
ashkelon Offline
Elite Trainer

One other thing I thought about. I've been playing the metroid game with the stylus for a couple days.

When you're using the stylus and have smallish hands, the balance is pretty awkward. You don't notice this demoing it in the stores where the DS is on a stand, but if you put it on the table for balance, then it's hard to reach the shoulder buttons.

It's not a killer deficeit, especially if you have big hands, I guess.

The other thing is I wonder how often we'll run into bad game design.

Things like stylus controls hidden when you use the stylus in your left hand. And games where you end up having to quickly throw the stylus on the floor to hit the a button and then dive after the dropped stylus.

Old 11-24-2004, 04:56 PM
Missingno mystery Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

I'm confused now , so we WONT be able to trade/battle from FR/LG and under with the upcoming games? (I HATE YOU NINTENDO !) The DS does have 2 screens and an extra slot for the old games, maybe thats how you do it but what if you jest can't? (I HATE YOU EVEN MORE NINTENDO !!).
Old 11-24-2004, 05:35 PM
ashkelon Offline
Elite Trainer

As things stand now, you CAN'T trade or battle (or any 2-player action) with a GBA game on the DS.

There is no place for a cable or GBA wireless unit, and the FR/LG don't detect or use the DS' wireless.

So, nope, no trading on old games. But pearl/diamond and other new DS games will be able to trade/battle on the DS.

I am hoping they will come up with a unit like for the wavebird, so the DS will be able to talk to the gamecube. Maybe that way we can trade from the DS to the cube to wherever.

But I'm not holding my breath. I'm starting to have a nagging suspicion that maybe the pearl/diamond pokes won't be backwards compatible. I sure hope they don't do that again.

Old 11-24-2004, 10:05 PM
NeoRevolution Offline
New Trainer

i dont get it... what do you mean by it wont be backwards compatible???? And i also have a suspicion that.....SPOILER AHEAD..........LAST CHANCE.......TOO LATE........ The next games will be Gold and Slilver remakes think about it Crystal= Diamond maybe Daimond will be silver and Pearl will be gold versions i really would like to see pokemon stadium graphics for the next games
Old 11-26-2004, 02:11 AM
Hydros Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoRevolution
i dont get it... what do you mean by it wont be backwards compatible???? And i also have a suspicion that.....SPOILER AHEAD..........LAST CHANCE.......TOO LATE........ The next games will be Gold and Slilver remakes think about it Crystal= Diamond maybe Daimond will be silver and Pearl will be gold versions i really would like to see pokemon stadium graphics for the next games

I hope its a G/S remake. It would be tight to see an advance versoin of Jhoto.
Old 11-27-2004, 05:58 PM
Keeper_of_Light Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Keeper_of_Light

Grrr, I got to wait till March for it to come out in the UK, but its will be worth the wait, I will pre-order it and get it on the releace date.

"Remember, battles may be won or lost but if the battlers do not learn, the battle served no purpose."

Last edited by Keeper_of_Light; 11-30-2004 at 10:26 PM.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:04 AM
TotodileHop24 Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via AIM to TotodileHop24

I have one quick question about the DS's power supply. Does it use alkaline batteries or lithium (disc-shaped) batteries? Or does it include its own power adapter for recharging?
Old 11-30-2004, 03:40 AM
NeoRevolution Offline
New Trainer

st like he SP it brings the charger and battery which is lithum