Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing

Creative Writing Share your fan fiction, stories, poems, essays, editorials, song lyrics, or any other related written work. All written must be your creation. Start a new thread, and keep replying to that thread as you add on more chapters. Anyone can join in at anytime.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:19 AM
FireflyK Offline
Five by Five

Send a message via AIM to FireflyK
Default Agony & Anguish- A lesson in Ascertaining

PG 13
Characters

Chapter 1

Cavylin's view

Soft grays.

I had expected a harsh room, filled with angular furniture. I had expected a home that was more a cell than a room, with the feeling of invisible bars constantly surrounding me, and the soft hum of danger eternally sounding in the background.

My room was plush; there was no other accurate way to describe it. Aside from the soft, rolling movements of the water mattress, as I dropped down onto it, the room was calm. In fact, even the movements of the faded mattress beneath me were tranquil. The color, too, had dulled. Once, the mattress had been a dark, deep color- likely navy. Now, it was a somewhat lighter blue, with a more forgiving feel to it. Even the sheets had become paler with time.

When I had first stumbled into my room, I had dropped my bags beside the bed. Now, however, I lifted them up with less care, sorting them out by tossing them into stacks. Those that held like items were added to the same pile, the others were spread across the room in other similar sets. The usual care I put into everything was, I admit, temporarily cast aside, now that I felt more at home in this place.

Once I had finished scattering my possesions, I took a look around the rest of the room. It all appeared to be in soft colors, mostly blues and grays, and comfortable. The carpet on the floor was the same color as a Mightyena's soft body fur, though as unruly as one's mane might be. Tall tufts of the material stuck out in every direction imaginable, reminding me of a miniature jungle. Sure, this was New York City, not the Congo, but then, both shared a certain tendency towards savageness. I was actually thankful that Team Rocket had taken me under wing, when I first arrived. The other gangs, whom were gathered in the streets, had been very intimidating to me, particularly as I have no Pokemon. That, however, is likely to change soon. Whatever else people may say about them, I know that Team Rocket takes care of their own.

Eishi Nentsu

Warm, inviting light spilled out from the door of the dungeon, as Eishi Nentsu slowly strode past it. Unlike the dungeons of most fables, this particular prison area was clean. There was no mold, nor dripping water droplets, on the walls. Even the ground was neatly scrubbed and dry, albeit bloodstained. The rust colored spots, however, blended in with the reddish brown stones that made up the floor.

Normally, Eishi would be in the dungeon, or at least, in the offices nearby. He was, after all, often assigned to organize and track Team Rocket's prisoners. Now, however, his task was to take aside the most promising of the new trainees and give them additional lessons, as well as punishing those who did the worst.

Even with this new job, Eishi still glanced within the interrogation cell as he passed by it. Squinting slightly, as he had never gotten used to the bright lights that were often used there to make prisoners uncomfortable, he checked to see if anyone was there. Though he had not expected any prisoners, save perhaps the usual fools who wandered too close to the compound, there were indeed people inside the room. Several men and women, in fact, all dressed alike, were spread out across the three main interrogation rooms. Each was bound tightly, and a few were even handcuffed. Raising an eyebrow, Eishi stilled his steps, stopping to watch momentarily. These appeared, after all, to be important prisoners.

Feeling a pleasurable tingle run through his body, he strode into the first and largest room, stopping dead-set in the center, and snapping his fingers. Though the sound was not as crisp or sharp as he had hoped, the Rockets within the room did look to him. All were subordinates, and he knew they would obey whatever orders he gave.

"Naton!" he snapped suddenly, watching as the man jumped to attention. Although he knew that Naton wanted to appear intimidating to the prisoners, Eishi took no mind of this. Instead, he glared at the shorter man. Naton had saluted him, but not bowed, as he preferred his staff to do.

Stepping over to him, Eishi grabbed a handful of Naton's thick, curly hair. "Report," he ordered, and shoved the man down onto his knees, then strode past him. Leaving Naton to recite a record of events to thin air, he circled one of the prisoners, eyeing the man with suspicion.

As Naton launched into a report of where the intruders had been found, why they'd been taken prisoner, and what was to be done to them, Eishi suddenly interrupted him.

"This man is from Team Allegory," he announced, seemingly to no one in particular.

"I was getting to that," Naton said weakly. The man did not rise to his feet, but he raised his hands defensively. "These men weren't doing Team work when they tried to break into the-"

"Did I ask you for your opinion?" Eishi demanded. Tossing his head back, causing his dark hair to shake wildly, he glanced at the ceiling for a moment, then looked down at Naton again. "I don't care if they were here to joyride Giovanni's Jaguar. I ordered everyone to alert me immediately if members of Team Allegory were found on the premises. Not only did you fail to do that, but you tried to gloss over that information in your report. No, stay there," he finished, as Naton began to get to his feet.

"You can't tell me to-" Naton began, as he stood up. Eishi, however, was under the impression- perhaps correctly so- that he could do whatever he wanted to Naton. Without a word, he struck the man with his open palm, leaving faint red marks on his face.

"You're a pitiful excuse for a Rocket. I am a prodigy. I can do what I want," Eishi responded coolly. Though he had hit the man with a great deal of strength, Eishi's face remained unemotional, in sharp contrast to the look of shock spreading across his subordinate's features. His interest in the men within the room, however, appeared to have been lost. Rather than insinuating himself into the process of their interrogation, Eishi simply nodded to the other Rockets, then swept out of the room.

Frederick

Sweaty, pudgy palms were pressed togethor slowly, before Frederick lowered his head towards them. The tall boy was waiting, with a handful of other Rocket Trainees, for their guides to arrive. Frederick, however, was anxious, eager to prove himself. Though he was intelligent, he often froze up in key situations, something he constantly strove to overcome.

The leather of the chair, which had been soothing at first against his skin, was now sticky with sweat, and smelled of it as well. Shifting uncomfortably, Frederick winced as his skin peeled away from the chair, which it had been stuck against. Slowly, he let his eyelids fall shut, covering weary green eyes.

"Hello, trainees," a man said cordially. Eyes flickering open, Freddy sat up quickly, eyeing the newcomer. The man was taller even than he was, and elegant, in his suit-like outfit. He had no jacket, but the rest of his clothes were fairly formal, Freddy noticed. Immediately, he wondered if he was underdressed, even though his companions were dressed just like he was- in jeans and a T-shirt.

"My name is Eishi. I will not be dealing with you," though his expression was neutral, Freddy decided he had definitely heard a sniff of disdain in the man's voice, "but I will be assigning you your Pokemon. Your group have been selected, out of all the new Rockets, to get one of the limited supply of beginning Pokemon we have on hand, rather than catching your own. This is quite an accomplishment, and because of the priviledges it has earned you, you will be held to stricter standards. I have been watching you over the past few days, but you will have one last chance to impress me. I will speak with you in my office, one by one, and assign you one of our starters."

Expecting to be the first called- with the last name "Abiano", he was often first in line for everything- Freddy got to his feet. Eishi, however, stared at him, until he sat down again quickly, feeling stupid.

"But first," the Rocket said, with a dramatic flair of his arms that caused his finely starched shirt to rustle audibly, "I will show you the sort of starters Team Rocket can provide you with!"

With a quick flourish, Eishi drew several Pokeballs from his pocket. Red flashes of light bounced around the room, and Freddy didn't even notice that Eishi had called out only a few of the Pokemon. His eyes were too focused on the amazing, powerful beings before him.

Eishi Nentsu

As he slipped the other Pokeballs back into his pocket, Eishi glanced around. Looks of wonder were spreading around the faces of many of the trainees, even those who prided themselves on their cunning, and their ability to retain a poker face. Repressing a smirk, Eishi watched smugly.

The Pokemon he had called out were perfect, for both obtaining and retaining the interest of this bunch of trainees, at least. They were, however, not really meant to be starters. Pokemon of the same species, but with less power or ability, would be given. Or, in many cases, basic Pokemon would be what was handed out, rather than the advanced forms. A few of these Pokemon might be offered to someone who proved exceptional, however, most people would get far less powerul Pokemon. Eishi was not only attempting to impress them with his show, either. The cunning man wanted to instill a sense of hard work in them, in a rather Machiavellian way. If each Trainee thought that most of the others had recieved a strong Pokemon, while they had recieved something less, they would fear that they were lacking. Not wanting to have to fight others until they had improved their own starter- or caught another Pokemon- might cause them to miss out on a few things. However, Eishi suspected it would also make them fight as much as possible, or train as much as possible, on their own time. After all, what better way to strengthen and evolve a Pokemon, then to train it? And what better way to learn the sort of clever tactics needed to defeat others of their level, and later be a good Rocket, than to fight the other Trainees as often as they could?

Casting a glance around the room, Eishi watched to see what Pokemon interested each of the newer Rockets. The group before him included a mere 8 people, selected from literally hundreds of new members. He already knew each by name and sight. The tallest of the boys was Frederick Abiano. Beside him stood Cavylin, the young woman whom had earlier been so impressed by her room. Preceeding her was Dani-Lynn, the oldest of the bunch at 23, while Urimo was the youngest of the boys and the rest of the trainees at 14. Keskraru, a boy of 18, was in the middle of the scale, as was Yailm, who was 17. Finally, Laita and Rozo, both 19, rounded out the group with their calmer, more balanced personalities.

All of them, however, appeared to have something in common- they were easily impressed. Each and every one of them was blatantly staring, albeit at different Pokemon.

My hands have yet to build a village, have yet to find water in the barren desert, have yet to plant a flower, and I have yet to find the path that leads me... I have not loved enough, but the wind and the sun are still on my face.

I have yet to sow green fields, yet to raise a city, yet to plant a grapevine on each chalky hill... There is so much to build and so much to be, and my love is just beginning.

Last edited by FireflyK; 07-11-2007 at 01:55 AM.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:30 AM
FireflyK Offline
Five by Five

Default Re: [War IV] Agony & Anguish- A lesson in Ascertaining

Chapter Two

Frederick

When the blinding effect of the red lights cleared, Freddy realized he had been staring. Tearing his eyes away from the Pokemon, he glanced at his companions, only to find that they were doing the same. Hope blossomed within him, as he realized that he did appear to be on the same level as the others in his trainee group, at the least, if not all the other new Rockets.

Feeling more confident, Freddy swaggered towards one of the other boys, with new energy in his steps. "Which one do you want?" he asked openly, not caring that they likely would not get to choose. "I'm going to take that one." Casually, he jerked his thumb towards the enormous Steelix nearby, whose shiny, metallic body reached all the way to the ceiling. The unblemished flesh showed no sign of any scratching, despite the battles the Pokemon had been in, and even the mere size of the beast was impressive.

"We don't get to choose," Rozo responded calmly, his voice holding a touch of apathy. However, even guileless Freddy could see the gleam in the older boy's eyes. He, too, was excited.

Although he liked the Steelix, Freddy didn't want to miss a better Pokemon. Even though they would not be getting these, he was sure, he did hope to earn one someday. Turning back to the Pokemon, he frowned, as though seriously scrutinizing specimens. Had this not quickly become a look of wonder as he looked over the Pokemon again, he might have convinced the others that he was objectively rating each in his mind. If, of course, they had bothered to look at him.

Although the hefty Steelix had caught his eye because it was so large, the other oversized Pokemon did not really interest Freddy. There were many of them, however, and they appealed to most of the other Trainees. The hefty Snorlax in the center of the room drew most of the attention of the others at first. Even though most of its bulk was merely fat, it was still a striking sight. The Pokemon near it were impressive, too. Flanking the Snorlax were a Golem and a Rhyperior. The two rock types were huge, and even standing beside the enormous Snorlax, their size was obvious. Both glowed in the artificial lighting, as though their tough, stone-like hides had been covered in some sort of polish. Similarly, the Hippodown to their left was also glimmering, though for a different reason. The Pokemon had just been bathed, and there were still droplets of water on its skin.

"Allow me to introduce you," Eishi said, slinking past Frederick, and inserting himself among the group of Pokemon. Lazily, he trailed a hand down Golem's side, running his fingers over the vast expanse of rock that made up its body.

When the eyes of all the trainees were on him, he released Golem, and spoke quietly. Speaking in a near-whisper, but articulating carefully, Eishi introduced the Golem, Rhyperior, and Snorlax. He did not longer near them long, however. As soon as the three had been briefly mentioned, Eishi sauntered to the next Pokemon, a stunning shiny Dragonite. Despite the large scar on its torso, the Pokemon was gorgeous, and clearly in good shape. It was muscular, but not enough to suggest steroids, or other unhealthy drugs.

"This is Nall," Eishi said, laying an arm on the Pokemon. The calm Dragonite let out a soft rumble, and nodded politely to the trainers. A small curl of smoke escaped from his mouth, though he did not seem to notice. "Nall is one of our newer members, but he's already on his way to becoming an excellent, powerful, intelligent Pokemon. Like most of our other new friends, he's been giving training in tactics, and also his favorite subject of interest, Pokemon Mythology."

Not wanting to bore the trainees, though he did want to tell them more about the training program, Eishi moved on again quickly. "Zorlell, on the other hand, wanted to learn about explosives," with a grin, he laid a hand on a Seviper, "and we taught her everything there is to know about that, too."

Ignoring the snake's soft hisses, Freddy tried to slink over towards another of the Pokemon, a Kangaskhan. However, his attempts to slink did not work as well as Eishi's. He was far heavier, and wore clunky shoes. Luckily, no one said a thing about his loud, echoing footsteps, nor his startled squeak when he tripped. Catching himself, Freddy took a deep breath, then managed the last few steps towards the normal type without further incident. He nearly fell over again, however, as he caught a closer look at the Pokemon. The baby within its pouch was gone.

"Veeka's child is already grown up," Eishi said in his ear, laying a hand on his shoulder. Startled, Freddy jumped, dislodging the man's hand, then blushed. Not wanting to lose his composure in front of the others, however, he didn't apologize, even though the words were on the tip of his tongue. Instead, he only nodded, allowing the older Rocket to lead him away from the Kangaskhan. Ignoring the vague feeling of something being wrong, he rejoined the group, who were still examining the many Pokemon displayed before them.

My hands have yet to build a village, have yet to find water in the barren desert, have yet to plant a flower, and I have yet to find the path that leads me... I have not loved enough, but the wind and the sun are still on my face.

I have yet to sow green fields, yet to raise a city, yet to plant a grapevine on each chalky hill... There is so much to build and so much to be, and my love is just beginning.

Last edited by FireflyK; 06-16-2007 at 05:07 AM.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:16 PM
FireflyK Offline
Five by Five

Week 2 entry begins here

Eishi Nentsu

He had been just in time, Eishi noted. While Frederick looked startled, the young man had clearly not seen into the Kangaskhan’s pouch. He would, of course, had appeared far more shocked if he had caught a glimpse of what lay within. While it was true that the Pokemon’s child was grown, there was a reason why she could not have anymore. The inside of her pouch had been burned, and was now covered in rough, reddish scar tissue, instead of the usual soft fur lining. No child could comfortably live there now- even if the harsh scars did not scrape off its skin, the lack of fur meant it would not be warm enough.

Clapping his hands together loudly, although none of the trainees were talking, Eishi waited for them all to watch him before speaking. Slowly and deliberating, he drawled, “I will call you to my office one by one to assign you a Pokemon. In the meantime, Dirana and Lerell will answer any questions you might have.”

Without even acknowledging the two Rockets he had named, who had begun to herd the children towards the chairs lining the walls, Eishi spun on his heel, walking briskly from the room.

Despite his fast walk, Eishi looked entirely settled by the time the first Trainee arrived in his office. As usual, his hair lay calmly, every strand seemingly in place. His clothes, too, had been smoothed again- perhaps even pressed, though he would have had to do that very quickly.

As the first of the young men walked in the door, Eishi kept his eyes on a few of the papers on his desk, pretending not to notice the boy. This time, however, Frederick did not have the nerve to interrupt. The boy's sudden outburst, earlier, had been the sort of reaction Eishi wanted to produce in the children- confidence and the ability to initiate. The boy, however, had unfortunately not followed up on his earlier, impulsive statement. Even the lure of being popular in the group of trainees was not enough to make him speak out again. Eishi felt his careless treatment of the boy was partly at fault, but as long as the other children remembered the outburst, it would not matter. He was about to restore the boy's confidence, anyway- or at least enough of it to motivate the others.

"Frederick Abiano," he said, glancing up at said boy without raising his head. "Only sixteen- are you sure you're ready to join Team Rocket?"

"Er, yes," Frederick said, seating himself slowly in a chair. The boy shifted uneasily, then crossed his legs, obviously resisting the urge to fidget. "I'm very sure."

"You certainly seem confident." Though he had practically ignored Frederick before, Eishi now looked up at him, staring at him as one might examine a dying butterfly pinned to a paper. Still, he was somewhat merciful- he did not leave the boy waiting for long.

"While I doubt you can back up your claim just yet, I intend to make an example out of you," the older rocket explained. Carelessly, he slipped his fingers into a pocket, bringing out a Pokeball. "I believe it was the Steelix that you wanted?"

Unsure if he was being tricked, taunted, or even tested, Frederick hesitated for a moment before responding. Eishi, however, leaned towards him, trying to egg him on. Almost playfully, he waved the Pokeball right in front of Frederick's face, then pulled back briefly.

"You won't have anything handed to you, Frederick. Rockets need to be competent, confident, and cunning." Just as swiftly as he had produced the Pokeball, Eishi pulled it back again, avoiding the boy's somewhat cautious attempt to swipe it. "Is that the best you can do? You've come this far- don't hold back your potential now, you stupid boy."

Though he knew what he was being dared to do, Freddy didn't dare try to take the Pokeball again. Instead, he started to speak. "I-" he began, feeling a little unsure of himself. He could threaten to leave, but that would only enforce Eishi's impression that he was weak and impulsive. "Make an example of me, then. I'm not leaving. They said I passed the first tests- I won't be kicked out now just because you don't like me."

"Won't you?" Eishi hissed softly, again lowering his gaze. Freddy felt his own eyes follow the trail of Eishi's. His expression twisted into one of worry, when he spotted the little bottle Eishi was watching. Who knew what it held?

Lifting the little jar, Eishi pulled the cap off, taking a sip. After licking the remnants of the whiskey off his lips- the smell was unmistakable- he turned his attention to the young trainee before him. "Then I suspect you'll do well here... Provided you work hard."

Slipping the Pokeball into Freddy's hand, he ushered him towards the door, back towards the enormous hall where the Pokemon had been showcased. Still shocked- Frederick had clearly misunderstand what Eishi meant when he said he would 'make an example of him'- the boy went along with this passively, trying to keep his features composed. Rockets, after all, did not get confused, and if they did, they certainly did not show it.

"If you show anyone else your Pokemon, and they get it into their minds to steal it, we will not replace it," he warned. Though he waited for Freddy to nod before allowing him to go, Eishi suspected human nature would win out over the warning. In fact, he was counting on it. None of the other trainers were receiving such good Pokemon- in fact, even Freddy's was not as good as it seemed, for it was not earlier's Steelix, but a slightly weaker one. Both, however, were very impressive Pokemon. With luck, Freddy would show his Pokemon off quickly, sowing the first seeds of competition amongst the rest of the group.

-TBC-

Last edited by FireflyK; 06-20-2007 at 01:32 AM.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:50 AM
Psychic Offline
Master Trainer

I'm surprised nobody has replied to this yet. Shame, because it's quite good.

I like the entire concept here, of the training of these eight Rocket recruits. I have never before seen a fic concentrating on TR Grunts, never mind training them, making this an interesting read. I also like the sort of double-edged sword you're portraying them; showing that they're providing for the trainees well yet making it so it's not all as nice as it seems. Eishi here is a very interesting character as well, being cruel and clever, and I find it especially fascinating that you thought to have him make the trainees each think they're going to get an extremely weak, defective Pokémon in copmparison to the others, thus making them want to prove themselves more- very clever!

Your language is great, and though I personally am having trouble getting used to your style of writing it's still pretty good, although I have seen a good few mistakes sprinkled throughout, though they're nothing big and you fixed some of them. However, at times I got confused and didn't understand what was going on, and I found some scenes wasn't set very well. For instance, I am unsure if Naton slapped Eishi or if it was the other way around (and on that note, I don't really see the point in that scene, except for maybe some character development and a chance to give the reader a glance at how the cells at Rocket HQ work and how they despise this new Team Allegory), and we also have little idea of where the trainees were waiting for Eishi (how does one he fit eight huge Pokémon in one room, anyways?).

What confused me was how Eishi seemed to know that Cavylin was impressed by her room, and also how it was started in the first "chapter" that each trainee was staring at a different Pokémon, but Freddy seemed to be looking at all of them. Also, the reason why this boy was so brave to step forward to look at the Kangaskhan eludes me, seeing as he was already so self-conscious to begin with, and why Eishi found it so necessary to grab the kid like that. And imo, your "chapter 3" cut off kinda weirdly, and unless you really wanted to give an air of mystery, you could have sort of introduced these two new Rockets.

In general I don't know exactly what to think of this. It's certainly interesting, and I really want to see how the screening process works and who will get what. I just find your style a bit hard to read personally. In any case, I hope to read more before I leave for camp.

Good luck!
~Psychic
Old 06-18-2007, 04:09 AM
FireflyK Offline
Five by Five

Er, sorry. =X I assumed that it would be obvious that such a control freak as Eishi would have cameras everywhere... I'll go back and add something to that effect when I have a chance.

As to teh scene with Naton and Eishi... It's nothing yet, just set up for a future plot point. And character development, of course. ^^; Eishi is a sadist, after all....

The large Pokemon were in a huge room. Think like those enormous, decorative halls that people throw parties in. I'll add more description there, too, when I can.

The staring was at first... Then each looked around at the others, after the first impression was over. That, too, definitely needs to be fixed.... I ended up rushing a bit to finish the story for WAR.

Thanks for all the help! ^^; I'll fix the mistakes, and take this stuff into account for the next parts.

Old 06-26-2007, 02:52 PM
FireflyK Offline
Five by Five

Week 3 Entry Begins Here

Urimo Rerent

Urimo shifted his weight softly from foot to foot, brushing his heels against the tile. Trying to be patient, the boy kept his eyes on the door as it opened, before noticing the reaction of the other trainees. Several were seated, thinking or talking amongst themselves, and not a one looked impatient. Most, in fact, looked downright apathetic.

Refusing to stifle his own determination, the young boy headed for the door as soon as it opened. A rather shell-shocked young man emerged from it, but Urimo didn't stop to see what was going on. Instead, before a name could be called, he stepped inside. With a last name like Ziiro, he was almost always last, and sick of it.

"Good day, sir," he greated the man inside, sitting down on a less-than-comfortable chair. Ignoring the harsh material, he sat, though not with good posture. One could only take assertiveness so far, after all, before it began to look more like obnoxiousness.

"Good afternoon, Urimo," Eishi responded calmly. His face gave away no hints of what he was thinking, but that in itself seemed like a bad sign to Urimo. If Eishi had nothing to hide, he would likely have displayed a normal range of emotions. Then again, he was a rocket, and he was rich. If he wasn't trying to appear prestigious- needlessly, since Urimo himself had already been recruited- than he likely had the money for all sorts of surgeries. There was no telling how old the rich were; the techniques to keep them young looking were beyond impressive.

Rather than keeping the young man in front of him waiting, Eishi closed the folder he'd been looking at with a snap. Lifting the thick brown leather, he slid it into a drawer in his desk, both closing and locking it. Sitting calmly, Urimo tried to appear patient, though his heart was beginning to speed up. It didn't sound like a panicked buneary yet, but the persistant thump-thumps were definitely increasing in speed and volume.

In place of the folder, however, Eishi set down a small box. Within it sat several Pokeballs. There were markings on them, but Urimo had no idea what they meant. Looking at the older Rocket, he waited curiously for instructions, hoping this wasn’t a test.

‘This is Team Rocket, you idiot,’ he reminded himself, ‘Didn’t you come here to be challenged? Of course this is a test.’

“Take those and come with me,” Eishi said, standing up from his chair again. A small door in the back of his office was opened with a wave of his hand, though as he was from a large city, Urimo wasn’t impressed. Motion-activated doors were common in department stores. It would take more than a bit of technology to impress him.

Lifting the basket, he tried not to hesitate as he followed Eishi out. However, his mind trembled with ideas. What if this WAS a test? He might already have messed up. Or, this being Team Rocket, maybe he was supposed to try to steal one?

Carefully, he slipped a hand into the container he was carrying. The odd warmth emanating from the balls, however, made him change his mind. They didn’t seem quite normal.

The room Eishi had led him into, after they had gone through the short passageway, looked almost like a battle field, but without stripes. Scuffing his toes against the ground, however, Urimo realized that the dirt wasn’t really hard-packed, as it appeared to be. There was a layer of something soft and crumbling under it. He silently prayed that there was a sturdier floor beneath that.

Ignoring the smudges in the dirt, if he had even noticed them, Eishi sat down on a chair. “How old are you, Rerent?”

“Fourteen,” Urimo responded, a look of confusion coming over his face. Eishi had to know his age- he’d put it on the form they had made him fill out earlier, and the man didn’t seem like the sort to forget anything.

“Have you ever owned a Pokemon before?”

“Never, sir.” Urimo held his breath, looking Eishi straight in the eyes. He was lying, but then, he felt he was a good liar. Besides, the man who had questioned him first had seemed less than competent, and if he didn’t continue to retell this lie, he could get in a lot of trouble. Eishi wouldn’t be as easy to fool, but at this point, there was no going back.

“I see,” Eishi said. His voice was soft, almost silky, but Urimo felt hairs stand up on his neck.

“Would you like this Pokemon?” the man asked, drawing out one of the Pokeballs. Carelessly, he tossed it to the ground, releasing a Glameow.

At first, the Pokemon didn’t appear to be out of the ordinary at all. However, glancing at it more closely, Urimo spotted an unmistakable scar on its tail. Knowing he’d been caught, he stood up straight, meeting Eishi’s gaze squarely. “No, sir,” he admitted, “Even when… the glameow was my mother’s, it never got along with me.”

Fluffy turned to him, yowling softly, but Urimo couldn’t bring himself to say her name. He was embarassed enough already. If Eishi didn’t know about the silly childhood name he had bestowed upon the cat Pokemon, he wasn’t going to give it away now.

“Really?” Eishi enquired, beckoning to the Pokemon. It leapt up onto his lap, settling itself, and purring softly. “Fluffy and I have never had a problem getting along…”

Feeling the blood drain from his face, Urimo thought fast. He had to come up with an excuse, or so he assumed. However, his silence appeared to have been the right choice. Suddenly, Eishi shoved the little cat off his lap. She ran, wordlessly, from the room, perhaps at some signal.

“However, wanting a different Pokemon is understandable. At some point, we branch out from pets, and into a new life.”

Standing up as well, Eishi walked slowly over to Urimo. “You will tell a lot of lies in your time with us, and you will break a lot of promises. However, you will always be truthful to me. You are going to tell me everything I ask, without hiding anything, or neglecting to tell me any facts, no matter how unimportant they seem.” Slowly, he reached out, taking Urimo’s chin in his hands, and tilting the boy’s face upwards, towards his own.

Holding his breath, Urimo was forced to stare up at the older Rocket. To his surprise, however, Eishi didn’t chastise him. He simply let go, rummaging in the basket briefly, before tossing him a Pokeball. As the man’s footsteps got fainter, Urimo stared at the Pokeball in his hand, wondering if it was another trick. Once Eishi had left the passage, however, he decided to check and see. Tossing it to the ground, he watched as red light bloomed, releasing a Pokemon…

Last edited by FireflyK; 07-02-2007 at 08:54 PM.