Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing

Creative Writing Share your fan fiction, stories, poems, essays, editorials, song lyrics, or any other related written work. All written must be your creation. Start a new thread, and keep replying to that thread as you add on more chapters. Anyone can join in at anytime.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:20 PM
TwistedAlyx Offline

Talking Out of Hand

Out of Hand

[Rated PG 13 for mild language here and there, Pokemon violence, and sexuality MENTIONED]

[Prologue]

Scarlet bolted up in bed. Her eyes anxiously darted around the shadows of the room until that dark, sickly moment between dreams and waking faded and she remembered where she was. She was lying in her bed in her cramped cabin on the Marine Quest, the sheets tangled and sticking to her legs. She slipped out of the covers and set her feet on the cool wood floor for the sake of feeling something solid under her. She rested her arms against her trembling knees and tried to take in a deep, calm breath, and then laid her sweaty forehead across her arms and groaned deeply.

It was the same nightmare that had been disrupting her sleep for over a month now, almost every night. Scarlet could never remember the details when she snapped awake, just the horrible feeling of dread and terror twisting in the pit of her stomach like a poisonous black snake. And water, lots of it. It’s the boat. Being on this boat is making me insane, she thought.

Like any high-ranking Aqua official, she loved the water, especially the ocean. It was pretty much part of the job. But even she could only handle so much of it before it made her sick. They’d been doing field research--all of Team Aqua’s best scientists, engineers, and a special few agents--on the Hoenn Sea for a few months now. There were rows and rows of glass tanks on the bottom deck full of specimens the marine biologists were studying. Scarlet hated going down there: the chilled air, the sinister smell of chemicals, and the hollow, alien eyes of the huntail in the large aquarium in the back... It all made the hair on the back of her neck prickle. The biologists seemed frustrated, as if they weren’t getting something they were expecting.

The whole place made her sick. Everything from the greasy smell of the fuel to the fishy stench that clung to everything, everything, made her stomach roil. Scarlet was going to be smelling fish for the rest of her life, she was sure. She felt like leaping off the prow of the boat just to get a break from all of it.

She sat that way for a few minutes before she stretched out across the scratchy blankets again and tried to let herself drift off to sleep. It didn’t work. Scarlet rolled over several times, restlessly staring into the dark corners of the room. Every little noise seemed a thousand times louder than it was, and the constant pitching and creaking of the boat was making her nauseous.

Scarlet suddenly sat up again with the taste of bile burning in the back of her throat. "I hate this," she moaned, trying to hold back a violent heave. She swung her legs over the bed, ignoring an indignant squawk from her pelipper on the floor when she stepped on his tail, scrabbled to open the cabin door, and hurtled towards the bathroom.

She kneeled over the toilet bowl and puked with horrible wrenching heaves that brought tears to her eyes. When it was over, she curled up on the refreshingly cold floor, shaking all over. Isn’t that sad, she thought dryly, an Aqua Officer who gets seasick. The administrator had to wonder if she’d hurled because of seasickness...or because of...Archie. Just thinking about Archie made her want to throw-up again, but not because of any kind of repulsion. She missed him and she was miserable being cut off from him. He’d been so busy lately, constantly working on some secretive project below deck. He wasn’t good at multitasking; if he started one project, he forgot about anything else he’d been doing. Scarlet hadn’t seen him in ages; well, she’d seen him, but the last time she’d talked to him at all was the last week when she’d said good morning, and his only response had been a brisk wave as he hurried past without even pausing to spare a smile. That kind of thing hurt. They used to be close.

Nobody else on the team seemed to notice, or it didn’t bother them if they did, but Scarlet had been with him since before Team Aqua begun and she knew him better than anyone. She could feel him drifting further and further away from her and she couldn’t seem to grab a hold on him to pull him back. She was cut out of the loop. She didn’t even have a clue in the world about what the heck he was doing that was so important, or what all those prestigious biologists seemed to be looking for out there in the ocean.

She’d tried to ask him about it once, when she’d first started to feel like he was slipping away. Feeling hopeful, she’d popped her head into his doorway and asked, "What are you up to down here?" The room was oddly dark and that made her wonder what kind of work or research he could be doing with no light, but with the light pouring in from the open door she could see his outline hunched over a pull-out table top with his back to her. Actually, he didn’t look like he was doing much of anything, just sitting and staring blankly at a sheaf of papers on the desk. She grinned playfully. "I think you’re turning into a hermit, Arch."

He was silent for a few minutes and continued staring without turning to acknowledge her, and that silence froze her heart. Archie finally turned to face her. The light from the doorway struck his face to show a stony expression, dark circles under his eyes made darker by the stark lighting. The smile died on Scarlet's lips. Had he even been sleeping at all lately? "It doesn’t concern you, Scar," he sighed, sounding both drained and decisive. He looked away and rubbed his hand over the stubble on his cheek--he looked like he hadn’t shaved in a few days either--lost in thought. His green eyes were full of unspoken worries. A rock-hard lump formed in Scarlet’s throat, and she wanted so badly to reach out and smooth his deeply furrowed brow and tense shoulders. In all the time she’d known him, she’d never seen him this way before. Archie never did anything in halves, that was nothing new, but the way he was killing himself over this was too much for her to handle. It was ridiculous. It couldn’t be worth it, whatever he was doing. Losing him wasn’t worth it to her.

Archie finally snapped out of his thoughts and noticed the injured way that Scarlet was looking at him. He forced a weak attempt at a smile. "I'll tell you soon though, okay?" His eyes were full of remorse, but his tone was trying to make it all seem like no big deal, like everything was fine and dandy. It wasn’t doing anything for Scarlet’s spirits, but at least he was trying. She swallowed at the lump in her throat, nodded, and mirrored his halfhearted smile.

"Right, soon," she agreed softly. That cold feeling was still slinking through her and eating up whatever hope she’d dared to hang onto, leaving her hollow and empty inside. They were both lying and they knew it. She watched him turn over the papers he was looking at so that she wouldn’t see what was on them. Why wouldn’t he just tell her what was going on now? She didn’t mean enough to him, she guessed.

"Go back upstairs," he continued soothingly. "I'll see you for lunch, okay?" Another lie. She already knew he would only grab something quick and easy from the galley and then rush back to his cabin to hide away again. She put on a pretend smile again and nodded, and then she slipped quietly back into the corridor so that Archie wouldn’t see that smile cracking. She couldn’t stand being in that room for another second, seeing that ghost of a man and trying to connect with him. Her throat was too tight for her to speak. Scarlet climbed back up to the top deck like a beaten dog and cleared a spot for herself to sit on top of some crates on the stern side of the boat where no one would bother her.

She wanted to be alone.

Once or twice after that a couple of the other administrators had tried to lure her back to the main deck to talk with them, but she turned them away without sparing more than a hostile glance. They exchanged worried looks and whispered softly about her as they walked away, but she didn’t care. She stayed that way, with her arms wrapped around her knees and her eyes trained on the endless waves in either direction, for the rest of the day.

Lying on the cold bathroom floor, the same thoughts that went through her head that night came rushing back like a broken record. She wished it could all go back to the way it was before--desperately. It was better before Team Aqua started. She knew he’d loved her then. Scarlet smiled for the first time in a long time as she thought about it. Why did it have to change? Then she thought of the gorebyss, and that smile vanished from her face completely. That was what started it, wasn’t it?

Last edited by TwistedAlyx; 06-13-2007 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Sorry, I didn't realize I wasn't supposed to link. All better.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:51 PM
Jon Offline

Send a message via AIM to Jon
Default Re: come on now, read it please.

WOW! This story is looking great so far. It's nice to have a story told from a different point of view, espicially when the views are those of "bad guys". You ended with a good suspense and now I'm waiting for the next instalment. Refreshing, rich, and overall powerful...bravo.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:09 AM
TwistedAlyx Offline

AH THANK YOU! Finally. I was starting to get frustrated trying to find more readers. You just made my day, my friend. Do you have a work in progress or anything that you'd like me to read and review, or are you just being kind and generous?

. . . Read it . . . .

Gimme a quick review, and I promise you I'll review anything you've written right back for you. You know you're curious. CLICK, DARN IT!
Old 06-11-2007, 01:07 AM
Jon Offline

I'm working on a story right now but not sure if I would end up liking it. I mean I like it but....I don't know. I'll post the first page and you can tell me how to make it better.....and I really meant what I'm said and I'm glad I made your day
Old 06-11-2007, 07:33 PM
TwistedAlyx Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
I'm working on a story right now but not sure if I would end up liking it. I mean I like it but....I don't know. I'll post the first page and you can tell me how to make it better.....and I really meant what I'm said and I'm glad I made your day
Yeah, I know what you mean. Send me a link when you do post it adn I can give you suggestions and all that good stuff if you like. That's awesome to hear. I'm glad too!

. . . Read it . . . .

Gimme a quick review, and I promise you I'll review anything you've written right back for you. You know you're curious. CLICK, DARN IT!
Old 06-12-2007, 01:06 AM
Jon Offline

I got the prologue up and working on the first chapter....I think that once I get the first chapter done it will convince me if this story is worth writing over...but yea I'm looking foward to chapter 2 from you....(I'll post my link once I get the first chapter done)
Old 06-12-2007, 02:02 AM
TwistedAlyx Offline

Quote:
I got the prologue up and working on the first chapter....I think that once I get the first chapter done it will convince me if this story is worth writing over...but yea I'm looking foward to chapter 2 from you....(I'll post my link once I get the first chapter done)
Okay, sounds great. And I know exactly what you mean. I had that feeling with this story actually. I wasn't gonna post until I got the first three parts up, but I got impatient and just posted anyway. Lol.

I'm looking forward to chapter two too! ^^; I know basically how it's all gonna happen... but I've got a few undefined gray spots between points A and B. I'll keep you posted though. :)

Have a nice day.

. . . Read it . . . .

Old 06-12-2007, 02:40 AM
Jon Offline

Yea, I have the basic idea for my story but its the fine details that make you work. I'm still a little apprehensive about my story because it's very.....generic I guess would be the best term. Definately not as original as your story thats for sure but I guess that is part of my challenge...take a genric story people most likely have seen before and make it into something.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:49 PM
LordZangoose Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to LordZangoose Send a message via MSN to LordZangoose

If you had read the rules of the Fanfic section, you would see to never link your stories. Copy and paste them here. Very good writing though.

Last edited by LordZangoose; 06-12-2007 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:08 PM
TwistedAlyx Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordZangoose View Post
If you had read the rules of the Fanfic section, you would see to never link your stories. Copy and paste them here. Very good writing though.
Oh I'm sorry. I'll fix that. And thank you. :)

. . . Read it . . . .

Old 06-13-2007, 08:33 PM
TwistedAlyx Offline

Default Re: Out of Hand

That had been almost a year before, when Scarlet and Archie still liked to go riding on their Pokémon in the ocean together. They’d been exploring some of the small islands off the coast of Slateport City and somehow they’d decided to start a race. It was nighttime so the water looked almost as black as the sky overhead, occasionally lit up from below by a flash of red from a starmie. Scarlet was straddling the back of her sealeo, Zero, completely soaked and submerged in the water up to her hip.

She grinned and threw a glance over her shoulder at Archie on his lanturn who was far behind her. The lights from its antenna cast wild reflections on the waves. He was leaning forward over the lanturn's back with a determined look on his face, but there was no way they were going to catch up to Scarlet and Zero. They zoomed past a cluster of barnacle-covered rocks sticking out of the water, startling a wingull that had been roosted on top of them. As she passed the buoy they had decided on as the finish line, she whooped and threw her hands over her head in glee. Droplets of water flew off of her with every movement. Moments later, Archie’s lanturn glided to a stop next to her, sending up sprays of water that glittered like liquid silver in the moonlight.

"You cheated," he said simply. He was just as drenched as she was with his hair plastered oddly to his forehead. Behind him Scarlet could see the distant lights of the city and the lighthouse flickering. Archie tried to keep a flat face, but gave way to a goofy half-smile a second later.

"You're just too slow," Scarlet replied smugly.

She started to add something else, when she felt something heavily thud against her leg; she glanced down nonchalantly and started to lean down and brush the flotsam away, expecting her fingers to meet a chunk of driftwood, not... Wet, slimy, rubbery, solid. It felt weird and uncanny. It didn’t easily float away when she pushed it like driftwood would--it just bobbed torpidly against her fingers--and it made her think too much of the slick skin of the Sealeo underneath her. She could see a football-shaped object lying mostly under the water, rolling slightly in a wave, with a gauzy, gray fin above the surface. She cried out in alarm and recoiled, nearly tumbling off Zero’s back.

"What is it?" Archie demanded instantly, clapping a hand down on her shoulder.

"It's dead," she murmured. "It- it just spooked me." She pushed his hand off and testily resettled herself on her Pokémon. It was a little hard to make out in the dark, but there was no way it could be anything else: it was the carcass of a remoraid. Not a big deal or anything that would scare rock-solid Scarlet, but she hadn’t been expecting to see it floating there or to touch it. Besides, nobody liked looking at a dead Pokémon. The pair solemnly skirted around the lifeless fish and continued again, more subdued than they had been before. Just when she had pretty much gotten over the incident, a dead goldeen washed in front of them on a wave. It’s no big deal, Pokémon die all the time, Scarlet tried to tell herself. Neither of them said anything about it until they started seeing more, too many dead bodies to be natural or normal. Magikarp, psyduck, tentacool... limply hanging in the water like discarded trash. Before too long, they were treading through a horde of livid bodies. It was unreal and completely awful. She couldn’t even see where the end of the dead Pokémon was...their dead bodies stretched over the water for as far out as she could see. Scarlet lost her lunch over the side of her Pokémon's back.

The story was that some idiot from the city had decided that the middle of the ocean was a great place to dump a few hundred barrels of toxic waste, and the spillage had colored the water in an oily rainbow. The memory of the hundreds of lifeless water-types floating on top of the water, dead scales shining silver in the moonlight, was still strong enough to make her throw up again if she thought about it too much. The gorebyss had struck her in the worst way, the way its dead and hollow eye seemed to stare back at her as they passed it. Even a month later, just seeing a trainer with one on a shopping trip was enough to make her have a mental breakdown.

Archie had always been a sort of a preservationist when it came to water-types, it was his passion, but after the toxic waste incident he turned into a full-blown fanatic. Obsessed. Something has to be done to make sure nothing like this will ever happen again, he’d said. Of course, he was one of the first people to volunteer to help clean up the spill, but it didn’t stop there. Sometimes she thought he’d never be satisfied enough to let the fish fend for themselves and let nature run its own course. Scarlet wouldn’t dare say so out loud or even admit it to herself, but she secretly wondered if he’d gone a little off the deep end after that. It started out with small stuff--sabotaging fishing boats and nets, protesting restaurants that served seafood, volunteering anywhere they could--and Scarlet willingly followed him. But after a while...things started to get a little out of hand.

At first it had just been a small bunch of people working to protect Pokémon and their environment, but they were almost more like a gang now. Maybe even pirates. Some of the things that were going on weren’t exactly legal, and she wondered if maybe it was too much. He’d gone as far as to gather a group of people and set free every single trained Pokémon from a Sea World park in Sootopolis. One of them had gotten caught, and that man was still serving time for it. But this was what Archie wanted, and Scarlet trusted him. She would--and already had--followed him to hell and back.

Finally she climbed back to her feet, swaying with the Marine Quest’s rocking, and slowly made her way back to her cabin. Her body felt like it was made out of lead. Scarlet must have been disoriented from the combination of the darkness in the corridor, the dizzying motion of the boat, and her lingering nausea, because the door she ended up at wasn’t hers. It was Archie’s. I shouldn’t be here, her head screamed at her over and over, but somehow she just couldn’t make herself turn around and leave. She imagined herself reaching out and opening the door, but she didn’t do that either. Uncertain, she stood staring vacantly at the closed door, like a zombie.

Before she could make up her mind, or let her delirium take over and make her mind up for her, the door opened. It gave her a jolt when it opened outward and smacked her, snapping her out of her trance. "Archie!" Scarlet gasped. There he was, standing straight and tall in the doorway in front of her, like he’d been brought back from the dead. She could only imagine how she had to look, standing outside his door, sweaty and wearing nothing but a pair of spandex shorts and an undershirt. Archie’s face was carefully blank, except for his eyes. They were tired but screamed joy at seeing her there. Scarlet opened her mouth to try to explain herself, but no words came out.

"What are you doing here?" He never wasted time on words.

"I'm ahh..." She sighed resentfully and shoved a few stray strands of gingery hair out of her face. She couldn’t bear to look at him, so she concentrated on a discolored spot on the floor next to her pinky toe. "I don't know. I felt sick, and..." she trailed off, her voice turning to a whimper at the end. She didn’t know how to talk to him anymore. Scarlet jerked her head to the side so that he wouldn’t see that she was trying not to cry.

Archie’s expression didn’t change, but he set his hand on her arm and gently said, "It's okay." His hand slid down her arm to grasp hers, and she numbly let him pull her inside his room. After the door was closed, they dropped each other’s hands and stared at each other like statues. It gave her chills the way he looked at her like he could see right through her, like there was no way to hide herself from him, stripped bare. The awful piteous state they were in made her throat feel tight with despair.

Scarlet almost couldn’t believe that the man in front of her was the same Archie she’d known for years. The basic features--bristly black hair, broad shoulders, sharp cheekbones--were the same, turned blue in the darkness, but everything else could’ve been stolen from somebody else’s face. His eyes were the first things that struck her, haunted and listless. She reached out and touched his cheek as if to prove that it really was him, and he pressed his hand down on top of hers. "I miss you," she whispered, blue eyes imploring.

"I haven't gone anywhere," he answered hoarsely. She shook her head, but she didn’t blurt out what she was thinking: yes you have! They were strangers that just happened to know each other. Or at least, they used to. Scarlet slipped her arms around Archie’s waist and buried her face in his shoulder, and he hugged her tightly against him. He still wasn’t there, even when she was clinging to him for dear life. It was like hugging smoke. She was afraid that if she let go or even opened her eyes he’d vanish into thin air and leave her all alone again. He was a mirage.

He suddenly took her face in his hands and kissed her roughly, and she followed his lead, somehow knowing that this was going to be the last time she’d ever be this close to him again. Before Scarlet even realized it, they were lying together in his bed in a tangled heap. They weren’t lovers, they were just bodies. It might as well have been any other man in that room with her for all it mattered. Bodies. They were both so far gone from each other that they were just going through the motions now, pretending just for one night that everything was normal again and that they were still in love. Scarlet and Archie were getting good at lying to themselves and believing it.

[*]

Scarlet woke up the next morning muzzy, lethargic...and alone. Somehow she’d been hoping against logic that she’d wake up and everything would be back to normal. But nothing was different from yesterday except that her queasiness was gone. Feeling like she’d been kicked in the stomach, she rolled out of Archie’s bed and scooped her clothes of the floor. I'm an idiot, a hopeless pathetic idiot, she thought bitterly. She finally let herself cry now that Archie couldn’t see her, sobbing wretchedly as she yanked her clothes on. Finally, she fell to her knees and hid her face in the sheets, her body shaking with suppressed sobs.

She knew it was stupid to cling to it so tightly and a lost cause, but somehow she still heard her heart begging her to try just one more time to fix it and make it work. Maybe she was doing something wrong, maybe she could fix it. It was easier to blame herself, because if it was something she was doing it was something she could make better. No matter how hard she tried to deny it though, she couldn’t lie to herself well enough to cover up the fact that there was nothing else to be done to save their relationship. He cared about the fish and Team Aqua more than he cared about her.

Scarlet couldn’t imagine waking up every day and not thinking about him, about how much she cared about him, and she didn’t know how to let go. She’d sold her soul for him. But, she was sick of trying too hard to fake it, and wasting so much energy trying to bring him back down to Earth. There was nothing she could do anymore. It was time to give up on Archie; he wasn’t coming back from wherever he’d disappeared to in his head.

Maybe the stupid fish could use a little more help. She needed something else to occupy her time, distract her from Archie. Team Aqua was part of her job after all, so why not work at it? She might as well be doing something productive while she entertained her heartsick head, and God knew how much Team Aqua needed somebody dedicated to keeping an eye on everybody and making sure everything didn’t get all shot to hell. Thinking about finding a new focus for her energy was already making her feel a little better.

Only a little though.

God, her heart hurt like somebody had just stabbed her with a rusted knife, and her head was pounding almost as painfully. She gritted her teeth and stood up, holding in the last couple of sobs in her chest and wiping away the tears from her cheeks. She lingered in his doorway and looked forlornly at his empty room, the bed still messy and guilty-looking, one last time before she left. Why was it so hard?

She built a brick wall around her heart and forced herself to let go. Scarlet kept busy, the more chaotic the task the better, because if it took up all of her concentration she couldn’t think about Archie. By the end of the week, if she saw Archie in passing she could pretend it didn’t faze her that he didn’t even look her way. She made it into a game where she’d get higher points the less her deadpan slipped.

. . . Read it . . . .

Old 06-13-2007, 08:36 PM
TwistedAlyx Offline

Most of the administrators knew about her and Archie and were concerned, exchanging worried glances and trying to get her to talk about it. Smiling tightly she always assured them, "It's fine, I'm fine. It just wasn’t meant to be. There are more important things to deal with..." They saw too that she was pushing away from them as well in an effort to protect her heart from further injury. After a while, she started to become as much of a Team Aqua fanatic as Archie was, not spending a large amount of time talking to anyone unless it was related to the group’s affairs. Scarlet soon earned herself the nickname of Ice Queen.

By the end of the month, she wasn’t pretending anymore.

[*]

Several years later, Scarlet was managing a different problem. She was hunting down one of the Aqua grunts, Natalie, and she was good at not being found. Not surprising. The two of them never got along anyway--Scarlet demanded control and unquestioning service, and Natalie was rebellious and argumentative--and she was probably afraid that the admin was going to yell at her. Scarlet actually would’ve preferred to yell at her, but that’s not why she was looking for her.

She was standing on the sidewalk in Lilycove City just outside the shopping center, shading her eyes from the acute sunlight. Scarlet felt naked in public view, like she was going to be tackled and arrested any second. But that’s why Team Aqua’s affairs were kept secret. Just the same, she wanted to hurry up and find Natalie so she could go back to the base off the Lilycove coast where she was secure and had more important things to do.

Lucky for Scarlet she had help looking for the grunt or she’d probably never find her in the huge city. Her girafarig stood next to her with both of its heads raised attentively; it was searching for her with its psychic abilities. It wasn’t out of the ordinary to see someone on the street with a Pokémon, especially not in Lilycove. Most of the Pokémon in this city were docile and soft though, trained for contest. Who’d have thought one of Hoenn’s most notorious gangs would be based outside of Lilycove City of all places, where people wouldn’t recognize hostility if it bit them on the nose? Constant plots were being brewed just under the police's noses past the harbor, and meanwhile all the citizens of the city where busy looking at paintings and cooing over Pokémon contest winners. It was sort of funny.

"Anything?" Scarlet asked, trying to hide her anxiousness. The girafarig shook the head at the front while the other head was distracted, staring hungrily at the bakery across the street. She methodically scanned the faces of every person that passed by, searching for auburn hair in the crowd. She gritted her teeth. She wondered why Archie let Natalie hang around at all--she was more trouble than she was worth.

The she saw her. Natalie had ducked down in a crowd of people walking into the store trying to hide, but Scarlet spotted her. She caught a glimpse between people’s legs of her mightyena trailing after too, which must’ve been what was blocking girafarig's clairvoyance. Natalie looked up to make sure she was still in the clear and her sharp green eyes met Scarlet’s blue ones. She gasped and quickly jerked her head away, but it was much too late.

Scarlet felt like just ordering her girafarig to yank the grunt out of the crowd with a psybeam attack, but she didn’t want to make a big scene right there in the middle of the city. Besides, while she was still standing next to the mightyena, anything her girafarig could dish out would be harmlessly diffused into the air. What she did was coolly motion for her Pokémon to follow her and start after Natalie at a fast walk. She caught her just in front of the automatic doors and cut her off, giving her an ugly look. Natalie gave her a sheepish smile and shrunk down like a misbehaving child trying to escape getting into trouble.

Natalie started to turn and bolt but Scarlet grabbed her by the collar of her shirt and pulled her away. "Do you know how much trouble you are?" she hissed. She could feel people staring at her even as she said it. Natalie was pretty young compared to most of the other members of Team Aqua, probably somewhere in her late teens or early twenties, but she was stocky and had a look on her face that clearly said what she’d do to you if you screwed with her. Maybe that was why Archie let her hang around; she could hold her own pretty well.

The grunt pulled away and raised her chin defiantly at the admin. "I didn’t do anything," she snapped. Her mightyena grumbled threateningly and snaked between the two women to defend its trainer. Scar’s girafarig rolled its eyes from where it stood behind her and scuffled its hoof irritably. A few people stopped and stared as they passed to see if there was going to be a fight--either a Pokémon battle or one between the two women.

"You ignored my message that I wanted to speak with you, and then you made me chase you around Lilycove for over an hour trying to find your sorry ass," she snarled back, trying to keep her voice down. She tried to pull Natalie along with her again out of the way so they could talk more privately, but she slapped her hand away and refused to budge. "I don't know why Archie’s even giving an annoying screw-up like you a job like this!"

At that Natalie dropped her evil glare and perked up. "Archie has a job for me?" she demanded suspiciously. The admin gave an exasperated sigh and reluctantly pulled a folded envelope out of the breast pocket of her jacket and rolled her eyes as she handed it to the grunt. It crippled her pride to have to pass the envelope over. That job should’ve been hers. She eagerly snatched it out of her gloved hand and unfolded it. "Oh my God," she breathed.

[Chapter 1- Plunder]

Natalie’s hands were shaking as she scooped the red orb and the blue orb off the dais and cradled them to her chest. Considering they were made out of sapphire and ruby respectively, they were surprisingly light and warm. When she held them somewhat close together they seemed to have a faint pulse. Grinning, the Aqua agent slipped the fist-sized orbs into her backpack; they clinked softly against each other.

She couldn’t believe how easy it was. After all the fuss Archie had made over it, she’d expected nothing short of an army between her and her prize. The only obstacles she’d had to face were a wrinkly old couple and climbing Mt Pyre itself, and the hike had been more trouble than the orbs’ supposed guardians. Their Pokémon, a grizzled linoone and a volbeat had been easily tossed aside by Natalie’s tyrogue. After that, they’d babbled anxiously about keeping the balance of nature and blah blah blah, but that didn’t pose any kind of threat. They were two hunks of rock—what damage could it really do anyway?

Jeez.

She couldn’t imagine what Archie even wanted the stupid things for. Sure, there were plenty of legends about the orbs, but the only people who actually believed those were little kids. Maybe he was planning on throwing them at somebody. That was the only thing she could think of that they’d be good for. They’d leave a big bump on the back of somebody’s head… It didn’t matter. All Natalie cared about was that she’d done what Archie asked and she hadn’t screwed it up.

It was sort of funny how different she was from him. She and Archie had the same hard, green eyes and the same father…but that was about it. Just because she was the boss’s half sister didn’t mean she had any kind of rank—she was actually the team screw-up, and she was amazed that he picked her of all people to carry out the task of collecting the orbs. She couldn’t afford to mess up this time, especially after the weather institute fiasco… It was pretty much her last chance. But so far it hadn’t been that hard. The worst part was done, and now all she had to do was hand the orbs to Archie.

In high spirits, for once, Natalie started back down the path. The old couple glowered reproachfully at her until she disappeared from view but didn’t move to do anything to try to stop her. She took her time to enjoy the stunning view. Mount Pyre was Hoenn’s highest point, which meant that from its peak you could see just about everything. Most people would get dizzy looking at the almost sheer cliff dropping straight down to the dark, choppy water on either side, but it made her feel bold and unrestrained like she could do anything. On top of the world. The deep fog shrouded the shapes of Pokémon rustling through the grass.

If she’d been paying more attention instead of admiring the scenery, she probably wouldn’t have been caught off guard. A man with dark hair and eyes the color of concrete stepped out of the haze and onto the path, his arms crossed haughtily. He was wearing a dark trench coat that billowed around him in the wind. A golbat hovered behind him, experimentally snapping its jaws together. "Hey there," he smirked sinisterly. Natalie gasped and instinctively put one hand protectively against her bag. She’d seen that guy around before--he was one of Team Magma’s favorites.

She couldn’t believe she’d let him sneak up on her like that. He was going to mess everything up for her...that was all Team Magma did. That was the reason Maxine had started Team Magma in the first place, to get in the way of Team Aqua’s business. Natalie would be in serious trouble if she let this guy get the better of her. "What do you want?" she growled.

"What do you think?" he sneered. With that, the golbat let out an earsplitting screech and lunged right at Natalie’s head. She screamed and covered her face with her hands. Plenty of girls freaked out around zubats and their evolutions because they were afraid of them getting stuck in their hair, which was stupid, but Natalie was more afraid of those three-inch teeth stabbing for her face like daggers.

She dropped to her knees and the bat barely flew over her head, a wingtip brushing the top of her head. Natalie managed to unhook a pokéball from her belt and toss it into the air just as the golbat wheeled around again and dove for her. She screamed again and clenched her eyes shut when she felt sharp teeth slice across her cheek and something hot and wet ran down the side of her face. She fell backwards onto her side, her backpack starting to slide off.

The golbat halted mid-swoop and squealed in pain, one wing clenched in Natalie’s mightyena Luna’s teeth. Luna rumbled like a storm cloud and shook the golbat by its wing so that it flopped wildly in the air. It let out a shrill shriek and the mightyena finally dropped it and backed away with her ears flattened against her head. The golbat rose slowly and was visibly straining to stay aloft, its right wing bent and awkward, barely working. They circled warily and then sprung at each other and fell to the floor wrestling aggressively, blocking the Magma admin from coming after Natalie. She could see the golbat’s trainer raise his eyebrows from across the battle field in the space between the fighting Pokémon’s bodies as they ripped apart for a brief moment.

Natalie staggered to her feet and shouldered her bag, and then took off full speed away from the fray. She wasn’t worried about Luna at all; she always found her way back to her in sticky situations. The young woman hurdled a headstone jutting up from the grass, and a startled shuppet that had been lurking behind it shot off a blast of black flames. She stumbled over rocks in her path, breathing heavily, and snuck a glance over her shoulder. She couldn’t see anything more than a few feet away but thick plumes of fog, occasionally lit by a brilliant flash of will-o'-the-wisp fire. That was convenient because it gave her coverage, but it also meant she wouldn’t be able to see the man from Team Magma if he caught up to her.

Before she’d been running away from somebody the scenery had been kind of nice, the way a thunderstorm looks from indoors when you’re curled up next to a happy fire with a cup of hot cocoa, but it was starting to seem ominous now. Mysterious shadows flitted in and out of the mist, and dark silhouettes of tombstones rose over the hills like somber ghosts. The fog seemed to press down around her and choke her, swallowing her up. Her own ragged breath and furious heartbeat pounding in her head mixed with the cries of the wild Pokémon skulking in the gloominess past what she could see through the fog to sound like the soundtrack to a bad horror movie. It filled her head, threatening to push her over the edge into a panic attack.

She kept running even though it felt like her lungs were going to pop, constantly glancing behind her. She cried out in surprise as she tripped over another gravestone that had been obscured by the tall grass, and was sent sprawling in the dirt. Her pack flew off and landed next to her with a soft thump. Natalie could taste blood in her mouth. She moaned and started to push herself up onto her hands and knees, and then gasped when she looked up and saw who was standing over her, grinning like a jack-o-lantern.

"Just give me the bag before you hurt yourself," he scoffed. Nat instantly snatched up her backpack, clasped it tightly to herself, and scrambled to her feet. She could hear Luna howling in the distance. The Magma agent grabbed for the bag but Natalie skittered backward out of his reach and spun and took off again before he could take it from her, her feet sliding and squelching in the mud. "Hey!"

The Aqua grunt smiled at first as she crashed through the undergrowth, assuming her pursuer was going to be easy to outrun because he was so much heavier than she was. Obviously, he had a high rank for a reason; the man was a lot faster than he looked, and he caught up with Natalie almost effortlessly. He grabbed her arm and yanked her back, and she shouted in surprise and dropped the backpack. It tumbled down the hill and disappeared from view under a veil of fog. From behind her she felt him jolt and lurch in the bag’s direction, but she seized his forearm, pulled him back, and socked him in the nose with her free hand. He grunted and teetered backwards, one hand over his nose, which was spurting blood. His eyes were wide in surprise.

Natalie shoved him out of the way and plunged through the mist, her arm aching from where he’d squeezed her too hard. Her shirt was smeared with a splatter of red, and she wasn’t sure if it was her blood or his. Moments later, she heard him stomping after her even though she couldn’t see him past the haze. She had to find her backpack before he did. She glanced to both sides to make sure he was still far behind her, and then unsnapped a pokéball from her belt and let it drop at her feet. A flash of red followed, and then a five-pointed star with a sparkling red jewel at the center materialized, turning from side to side as if it were gauging its surroundings even though it didn’t seem to have eyes.

"Let’s have some light, Vega," Natalie said quietly to the staryu. The top point bowed in an obedient nod, sort of bizarre to watch since it had no face, and the gem in the middle of its body glowed and emanated a lance of bright white light. The light cut right through the mist and cleared the field of vision, and Nat immediately saw the navy blue fabric of her rucksack protruding from a patch of grass about ten feet away. Unfortunately, the light also revealed the dark-haired man standing only three feet away from the bag, and he hadn’t missed seeing it lit up like daylight. He beamed and eagerly started forward.

"Vega, icy wind!" she yelled, her voice pinched with panic. Her body and voice were tight--her mission was in danger of failing, and her Pokémon seemed to understand its trainer’s urgency. The staryu reacted instantly and tilted back as if drawing in a deep breath, and then whooshed out a cloud of glittering white ice. The man looked up just in time to get blasted in the face with the icy wind attack, his hand stopping inches away from the fabric of the bag. Everything between Vega and the Magma official was dusted with a layer of fine white powder, and he looked like a snowman with only his eyes darting wildly between Natalie and the backpack containing the orbs.

Smirking, Natalie recalled her staryu and then took her sweet time walking over to her bag, ice crunching under her boots, knowing that he wasn’t going to be moving for a while. "Nice try," she simpered. "Say 'hi' to your boss for me." Nat savored the look frozen--literally--on his face, eyes bulging, and she leaned over and plucked the bag from just under his fingertips. She swung the straps over her shoulders and waved cheerfully before turning and walking back toward the path. That had been way too close. She realized she was shaking a little and tried to calm herself down. All she had to do was get back to the city, and then there was no way the Magma admin could catch her no matter what he did. No problem. Archie was going to pass out when she walked up to him and handed him the orbs, all cool and smooth…

. . . Read it . . . .

Old 06-13-2007, 08:38 PM
TwistedAlyx Offline

She thought for sure she was in the clear when she made it halfway down the mountain without further attack--until she was buffeted by a blast of cold air that almost knocked her onto her face. Natalie spun on her heel, gaping incredulously. The Magma admin was standing in the waist-deep grass just off the path on the slope of the hill. It was impossible, but there he was anyway, dripping and glaring vindictively. The golbat was perched unsteadily on his shoulder, one wing crumpled like an accordion but still very capable of launching the gust attack that almost blew her over with the other wing.

Natalie drew herself up to full height, cocky and ready to take him and his crippled golbat on, when a second Pokémon came snuffling out of the fog. "Urrraaaah!" She gasped and took an involuntary step backwards. It was a huge camerupt whose withers were past the Magma agent’s head, rippling with powerful muscles and smoking from one of the tall spires on its back. That explained how he’d gotten unfrozen so fast... She couldn’t take on that thing.

"I'm done playing around," the man snarled. "Magnitude!" There was no time to react before the fearsome ground-type let out a roar that sounded like a mountain collapsing and reared up, and then slammed back down into the ground, sending boulders tumbling down the hillside. The Magma admin barely wobbled from the aftershock, but it buckled Natalie’s knees and slapped her onto the ground.

There wasn’t enough time for her to get up and move away, and all she could do was curl into a tight ball and cover her head with her arms. The first rock bounced over her, THUD BANG THUD, and she rolled to the side to narrowly avoid getting squashed by another one. It was like being in a killer hailstorm; with rocks dropping on either side of her and making the ground shake more each time a rock hit. Thick clouds of dust filled the air with each impact, and it was impossible to see anything.

There was suddenly a piercing howl above the noise of falling boulders, and the dust cleared away instantly. Natalie could see Luna standing ready to attack a few feet away on a small knoll...and a boulder rolling straight at her with no time to move out of the way. She heard herself scream and Luna barked sharply. As if in slow motion, the rock braked and bounced off of nothing only inches in front of her nose and shot off in the opposite direction; the mightyena was faintly glowing yellow and clearly struggling to hold up the invisible barrier, her neck and shoulders bunched up as if she was lifting something heavy with her head.

Natalie fought to stand up while Luna was giving her a safe moment, coughing as she inhaled more dust. It wasn’t enough time. Luna abruptly let out a squeal of pain as a rock caught her off guard while she was busy defending her trainer and hit her square in the side, sending her flying down the hill. The barrier fell away, and Nat jerked her head up just in time to see a rock hurtling towards her, filling her vision.

SMACK!

Then…nothing.

[*]

The next thing she knew, something cold and wet was pressing into her cheek. Natalie blinked her eyes open and found herself staring face-to-muzzle with Luna who whined and nudged her with her nose again. She grimaced with the effort as she pushed her mightyena away and painfully sat up. She felt like she just got run over by an eighteen-wheeler. Or several of them. Thankfully, after checking herself over, Natalie didn’t find any broken bones. She was covered in dark, splotchy bruises and scrapes that were red and raw, but she knew that wasn’t much to complain about considering she was alive and being attacked by the camerupt hadn’t killed her. Luna was thoroughly battered, too. Her back was full of bald spots where chunks of fur had been torn out and a long scratch stretched across her ribs, purple and swollen with golbat poison.

Of course, her backpack with the orbs was gone. That had to be the worst news of all. She couldn’t go back without them…but she had no idea where the man had gone, or how she could possibly do anything to get the orbs back from him if she found him while he had that colossal camerupt backing him. God, she was screwed.

Luna suddenly started whimpering anxiously and prodding her side again. Nat lifted her head and realized with alarm that she could hear footsteps crunching down the gravel path from the summit through the thinning mist. She and her Pokémon were tired and hurt—if the old couple had called an officer from the city on her she’d be helpless. She allowed the shaggy wolf to pull her away by her pant leg, though every step brought fresh agony, behind a low ridge of rocks where they hunched apprehensively. Moments later, the footsteps came to a stop a few feet away from where Natalie and her Pokémon crouched and voices drifted through the air to them. Luna’s scruffy fur bristled against Natalie’s arm. They were too far away and talking too quietly for Natalie to hear what they were saying, but she could tell that there were at least two people and that they were upset. She could hear her blood pounding in her ears as she pressed her back closer to the rock. She strained to catch a word here or there and Luna just growled softly; she worried that they would hear her.

Natalie’s heart almost stopped when she heard the sound of Pokémon claws scuttling over the top of the knoll she and her mightyena were hiding behind. The mightyena growled a little louder—excitedly scrabbling claws on rock again—and pushed against the arm Nat had slammed over her neck. The trainer tried to sink lower and prayed that Luna wouldn’t freak out and pounce on it, whatever it was; she could hear it sniffing curiously inches above her head. It sounded small, but in her mind’s eye there was a full-grown arcanine standing on the ridge and sniffing her out. She crouched there in dread for what felt like years, waiting for the Pokémon to attack or for its trainer to walk over and find her… No orbs and now she was probably going to be arrested too. She hoped that it was an arcanine and that it would tear her limb from limb, otherwise Archie was going to do something even worse.

“Marley!” a boy called suddenly. She could hear the Pokémon—Marley?—jerk its head up and then noisily dart back to its trainer, forgetting all about Natalie. “What were you doing?” he chuckled. It enthusiastically yapped a reply, and the boy laughed. The voices and footsteps finally faded away as the unknown people walked away and left Luna and Natalie alone again. Natalie barely noticed when her Pokémon flopped her head into her lap. The hair on the back of her neck was still standing on end and her pulse was thundering away. That had been too close for comfort; she knew that there had to have been police officers from Lilycove in that group. There was going to be news about this all over at this rate…and Archie wasn’t going to be happy about it. She sighed and clenched her fists, thinking of the mess she’d already made out of what was supposed to be an easy job. She had to get the orbs back before the situation got out of hand.

[Chapter 2 up soon]

. . . Read it . . . .

Old 06-13-2007, 08:41 PM
TwistedAlyx Offline

Quote:
Yea, I have the basic idea for my story but its the fine details that make you work. I'm still a little apprehensive about my story because it's very.....generic I guess would be the best term. Definately not as original as your story thats for sure but I guess that is part of my challenge...take a genric story people most likely have seen before and make it into something.
Yeah, that's usually the problem in writing fan fiction. (And stop that, you're giving me a big head. :D) All I can say about that is keep at it, and read around to give yourself ideas. It's only fanfiction after all.

. . . Read it . . . .

Old 06-14-2007, 12:55 AM
Jon Offline

lol...I'm just being honest. But yea I get what you are saying. Hopefully I'll have the first chapter up by friday.