Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: General Board

Pokemon: General Board General discussion about Pokemon in general. If the topic of your thread does not fall into the subjects in the other boards, post it there. In other words, everything else belongs here if it doesn't have a board of its own.

Old 08-09-2005, 05:14 PM
Dragon Lover Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via MSN to Dragon Lover
Default Re: General Chit Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin the Rebel
That was pretty close to flaming, liquid crystal.

Assaulting a post over a typo is certainly not very friendly.

I was also making an observation based on an educated guess and book knowledge. Of course, the "pika" part was the guess and the chu was the book knowledge. There are several types of mice known as chu's that are native to the Eastern Asia. And in their case, the word "chu" is meaning the same as mouse or shrew. In the Japanese, pika when used as meaning sparkle is used as a verb this way; "Pika-pika suru." Also in the Japanese, chu does not mean squeak or anything near it, however, it does mean annotation, note, faithfulness, loyalty, medium, and average. Using it as the ending "-chu" it means in the middle of, in the process of, during, in, and amoung. An example of which would be denwachu, or "in the middle of speaking."

Gardevoir is the most beautiful, though.
Liquid crystal has competition... and how did she almost flame ?

Quote:
Articuno is easily the most beautiful. Magestic(sp?) and all that. It's the tail... can't even fook with that silky tail.
Another believer!

~DL~
Old 08-09-2005, 05:51 PM
liquid crystal Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
That was pretty close to flaming, liquid crystal.

Assaulting a post over a typo is certainly not very friendly.

I was also making an observation based on an educated guess and book knowledge. Of course, the "pika" part was the guess and the chu was the book knowledge. There are several types of mice known as chu's that are native to the Eastern Asia. And in their case, the word "chu" is meaning the same as mouse or shrew. In the Japanese, pika when used as meaning sparkle is used as a verb this way; "Pika-pika suru." Also in the Japanese, chu does not mean squeak or anything near it, however, it does mean annotation, note, faithfulness, loyalty, medium, and average. Using it as the ending "-chu" it means in the middle of, in the process of, during, in, and amoung. An example of which would be denwachu, or "in the middle of speaking."

Gardevoir is the most beautiful, though.
I believe I appologized to you.

I'm sorry, but I just can't stand it if someone pluralizes a word with an appostrophe. =/ Sheesh, so sue me.

I don't speak Japanese, but apparently "chu" isn't onomatopoeia, but I'm almost certain "chuu" is.

I'm not really certain if you were trying to prove me wrong with that third paragraph, but I'm not convinced "pikachu" means "in the middle of squeaking"

Oh, and DL, I'm a boy >.>"
Old 08-10-2005, 04:29 PM
Kirin the Rebel Offline
New Trainer

Yeah, I kinda recoiled at you, though. Sorry about that. It's all that stress before moving and going to college and stuff. I'm an aerospace engineering major and Japanese studies is my minor.

--Quote--
""Pikachu" is probably a portmanteau, derived from "pika", meaning "spark" or "sparkle" of lightning in the Japanese language, and "chū", an onomatopoeia in the Japanese language for the squeak made by a mouse. Coincidentally, there is a mouse-like lagomorph that makes its habitat in North America, known as a pika (IPA: /pɪka/, as opposed to /pika/ in "Pikachu"), but the relation between the animal and the Pokémon is purely coincidental."
--Quote--

I'll be darned. I looked it up in my books and it didn't appear. However, it appears that I stand VERY corrected. I also re-looked up pika and found that it is used in two ways; "Pika as a noun", and "pika-pika suru" as a verb. Though chu may be the sound a mouse makes, I think usage may allow it, though I'm not sure, to be the definition I stated as well. In that case, it can be said, and I am making an educated guess, that "pikachu" could mean "in the process of sparkling." Which would make sense too. Anyway, I think I'm reading way too far into it now.

That is kinda humorous if you think about it. All this time Pikachu has been hopping around saying "sparkle sparkle."

Articuno is my favorite, mainly because its an eagle-like bird and I've never lost a battle with it.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:48 AM
!CeMAn Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 6)

Send a message via MSN to !CeMAn
Question Re: General Chit Chat

Quote:
Articuno is my favorite, mainly because its an eagle-like bird and I've never lost a battle with it.
What kind of set do you use? My Articuno is kind of boring.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:55 AM
Dragon Lover Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid crystal
Oh, and DL, I'm a boy >.>"
You are :S

Argh all these people talking in Marsion are confusing me...

And I think KTR uses Mind Reader, Shear Cold? but thats pretty standard since it's one of the best combos Articuno learns with it's crappy moveset...

~DL~
Old 08-11-2005, 02:10 PM
Kirin the Rebel Offline
New Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by !CeMAn
What kind of set do you use? My Articuno is kind of boring.
Ah, the stories I could tell you about old battles and long campaigns. We used to hold pokemon tournaments at my school via gameboy. That is where I built my main battle party and won my first tournament. We even had an elite four, one of which we called "Psycho" because he used six, thats right, six, level 100 Mewtwos.

Anyway, my Articuno is kinda typical, but balanced for my style. When you raise one, don't just teach it moves that look good. Allow it to learn and teach it moves that work with your style and personality. Feel your way through. Start over if neccessary. If you do it right, the battle will flow swiftly and easily. I don't think my Articuno has ever bored me.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:46 AM
!CeMAn Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 6)

Quote:
Anyway, my Articuno is kinda typical, but balanced for my style. When you raise one, don't just teach it moves that look good. Allow it to learn and teach it moves that work with your style and personality. Feel your way through. Start over if neccessary. If you do it right, the battle will flow swiftly and easily. I don't think my Articuno has ever bored me.
Problem: Articuno's stats/movepool is not a pokemon suited to my style or personality. I use it because i like it and it caps off my ice team. How can you say 'just start over'? Like i have the time to catch and raise multiple Cunos... I guess i'm stuck with a boring Articuno.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:50 AM
Seawolf Offline
I has a stik

Send a message via AIM to Seawolf

Quote:
Problem: Articuno's stats/movepool is not a pokemon suited to my style or personality. I use it because i like it and it caps off my ice team. How can you say 'just start over'? Like i have the time to catch and raise multiple Cunos... I guess i'm stuck with a boring Articuno.
It's too bad you can't breed it. Are there any other decent Ice Pokemon you could use? =/

Dude, Liquid Crystal - I've been taking Japanese for the past 3 years, and 'Chuu' is actually the sound a mouse makes, according to Japan. I'm pretty sure that's where the 'Chu' of 'Pikachu' comes from. The extra 'u' was likely dropped for obvious reason.

What the...c'mon. Milotic is the most beautiful Pokemon! *motions to avatar*
Old 08-15-2005, 12:19 AM
liquid crystal Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Yeah, I kinda recoiled at you, though. Sorry about that. It's all that stress before moving and going to college and stuff. I'm an aerospace engineering major wow! that's pretty impressive. and Japanese studies is my minor.
Okay, no hard feelings then? ^>^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megumi
It's too bad you can't breed it. Are there any other decent Ice Pokemon you could use? =/

Dude, Liquid Crystal - I've been taking Japanese for the past 3 years, and 'Chuu' is actually the sound a mouse makes, according to Japan. I'm pretty sure that's where the 'Chu' of 'Pikachu' comes from. The extra 'u' was likely dropped for obvious reason.

What the...c'mon. Milotic is the most beautiful Pokemon! *motions to avatar*
Yeah, it's a shame that there really aren't any good ice types... >.>"

*tries to think of OU ice* nope.
*tries to think of UU ice* maybe.
*tries to think of NU ice* Ah, there you go.

lol.

Back on Japanese: Yeah, english like, completely forgets about long vowels... I mean, where (besides fancy maps and junk) do you see "Tookyoo"? *too lazy to type macrons* lol... *snickers at "toe-key-yo"*

Yeah, Milotic's pretty. But it looks kinda like an alien ?_?
Old 08-15-2005, 04:49 AM
!CeMAn Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 6)

Quote:
There are plenty of fine ice pokemon. Articuno is one of them. Boring is just that it's not fast and can't really smack much down. Not in G/S/C anyways ...

And Articuno PWNs Milotic.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:20 PM
liquid crystal Offline
Elite Trainer

I dunno. Articuno's head is too small. o.O"
Old 08-15-2005, 09:33 PM
.AzureLight Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to .AzureLight Send a message via MSN to .AzureLight

A decent Ice type eh? I'd say Glalie...
Old 08-16-2005, 12:11 AM
Seawolf Offline
I has a stik

Send a message via AIM to Seawolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid crystal
Back on Japanese: Yeah, english like, completely forgets about long vowels... I mean, where (besides fancy maps and junk) do you see "Tookyoo"? *too lazy to type macrons* lol... *snickers at "toe-key-yo"*

Yeah, Milotic's pretty. But it looks kinda like an alien ?_?
I have no idea what it is with English and long vowels! Japanese has always made more sense to me with how words are said/spelled/etc. Thinking about it, the English language is quite. . .weird. I can see why people learning it for the first time would be so confused.

*stares at a picture of Milotic*

Oh my god, it kinda DOES look like an alien!

Quote:
And Articuno PWNs Milotic.
. . . Grr.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:46 PM
Dragon Lover Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Quote:
How 'bout Walrein? Or maybe Dewgong? Those two are my two most favoirite Ice types after Articuno :D

~DL~
Old 08-19-2005, 11:35 PM
liquid crystal Offline
Elite Trainer

Still, I really can't think of any non-UO ice type. Or fire type...