Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 03-12-2004, 03:25 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga
Default Terrorist Attack in Spain

Source: Yahoo news

As of 7:39 this morning, four commuter trains in Madrid were attacked in what resulted to be the worst terrorist attack in history for Spain. A series of hidden bombs contained in backpacks had gone off in a 15 minute span. 192 people were killed and 1,400 more were wounded as a result of the attack.

Spain had at first blamed ETA, a Basque separatist group until Al-Quds al-Arabi (An Arab newspaper) had recieved an email stating that the attack was orginally planned by Al-Qaida, and that the attack's purpose was because Spain had been America's ally in the war against terrorism. Still Spain's government beleives that the attacks were more likely caused by ETA.

I honestly beleive it was Al-Qaida, since there are too many similarities between this attack and the attack on the World Trade Center. Even the date is exactly 2 and a half years from the attack on 9/11.

I don't know what Al-Qaida expects to achieve from these attacks. The world isn't going to convert to Islam just because of the massacres of Al-Qaida. Their purpose in killing people is solely to murder and nothing more.

What are your reflections regarding this terrorist attack? Do you beleive this was the work of Al-Qaida or was it the work of the ETA?

For more information, visit these sites:

Yahoo New: Terror Blasts Kill at Least 192 in Spain

Spain Post

Time Europe: Bust in Madrid

Old 03-12-2004, 03:21 PM
Alakazam Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Alakazam
Default Re: Terrorist Attack in Spain

I, myself believe that the attack was executed by Al-Qaeda, not the ETA. It seems to me that the way the attack was done was not the way that the Basque groups would ever operate. If it were the ETA, there would most likely have been a phone call or warning of some sort a little bit before the attack.

In considering the similarities between 9/11 and this attack, and the fact that Spain did support the US in the war on terror, I think Al-Qaeda is to blame here.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:52 PM
Evanna Offline
Master Trainer

Yeah, I don't believe it was ETA either. They wouldn't cause so many casualties. I don't get why the Spanish governement still believes it was ETA =/ Everything points in the direction of Alqaida.

Why do we Fall? To learn to Pick ourselves up again.
Old 03-12-2004, 07:09 PM
Patra Offline
New Trainer

Send a message via MSN to Patra Send a message via Yahoo to Patra

Like you three above me, I believe that Al-Qaeda is the responsible for the attack.

The coincidence of the dates, the way that the attack happened and, like Zam said, the fact that Spain had supported the US in the war on terror.

I think that US should had really "take care" of terrorists after 9/11. I think that revenge is coming. I mean, Al-Qaeda will attack all the countries that supported US in the war. Situation that scares me once Spain is my "neighbour".

I just hope that US and Governments really start to take this serioulsy or this won't stop.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:46 PM
Alakazam Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

I believe that it's already being taken seriously, but the enemy, one must admit, is exceedingly difficult to even locate, let alone destroy.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:53 PM
Patra Offline
New Trainer

Send a message via MSN to Patra Send a message via Yahoo to Patra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakazam
I believe that it's already being taken seriously, but the enemy, one must admit, is exceedingly difficult to even locate, let alone destroy.
True. Though it would be easier locate the enemy if they had search it right after 9/11.

I just find strange how Spain still believes that ETA is the responsible for this. All the facts point that it wasn't ETA.

They found Copper in the bombs when ETA usually uses Aluminium. ETA already denied the authorship of the attack and they usually "warn" before the attack. They never kill too much people.

It's strange why Spain keeps blaming ETA for everything.
Old 03-13-2004, 12:37 AM
Alakazam Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

I don't find it too strange...the Spaniards want it to have been the ETA, because they are from the vaz provinces in the northern part of Spain, where seperatist feelings are very powerful. I'd bet most others resent their attitude against Spain as a unified country.
Old 03-13-2004, 10:57 PM
masaki Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via MSN to masaki

No matter which or who it was terrorist attackes everywhere have to be stopped somehow. The problem is if you put more security people don't like having to wait an extra time or go past searches because it is annoying. Although I do believe it was not ametures who did this. In the picture just posted here already looked brutal. Does anyone know how many terrorist groups there are in the whole world?
Old 03-14-2004, 03:06 AM
Tamer Marco Offline
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Tamer Marco Send a message via AIM to Tamer Marco Send a message via MSN to Tamer Marco Send a message via Yahoo to Tamer Marco

I also belive it was Al-Queda. The spainards havea little fude with the ETA I think.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:35 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

Apparently, as of now they are finding more sources that support the belief that the attacks were caused by Al-Qaida.

Read the article here

Apparently, cell phones were used as detonators for the bombs placed within the trains. Now, they have found a video tape that appears to be another message from Al-Qaida, saying again that Spain was attacked due to its support regarding the war on terror.

As much as the government officals of Spain dislike the ETA, I think they should seriously consider the evidence presented before them as a source from Al-Qaida. And even if it is the ETA using Al-Qaida as a decoy, Spain should not let something like this prevent them from supporting the war on terror. That's exactly what Al-Qaida or any other terrorist organization would want.

Old 03-15-2004, 07:44 PM
AbXtreme Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to AbXtreme Send a message via MSN to AbXtreme

I feel sorry for Spain right now and Angry with the Terrorists. Now the Death toll is 200 it's time for some action from Tony Blair and Bush. But i'm afraid that they might do a attack on us next. Since Spain, America and England were the 3 Main Countrys for the War there sending a Message saying that were next.

'You maybe able to prolong your life, but it's not like you can escape your inivitable death'