Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 03:39 AM
Lord Celebi Offline
Zhu-Quiao

Send a message via AIM to Lord Celebi Send a message via Skype™ to Lord Celebi
Default The Debates

This is the Official Topic for the Debate of Sept. 30, the other 2 Presidential Debates, and the Vice President Debate. No other topics may be made for the debates.

I'm sure many of you saw tonight's debate between Kerry and Bush. What were your opinons? It wasnt much new, as most of everything in the debate has been said before one way or another.

Last edited by Lord Celebi; 10-01-2004 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10-01-2004, 03:46 AM
PokemonMaster-Chris Offline
Experienced Trainer

Send a message via AIM to PokemonMaster-Chris Send a message via MSN to PokemonMaster-Chris Send a message via Yahoo to PokemonMaster-Chris
Default Re: The Debate

Senator Kerry showed his flip flops once again while George Bush kept steady and strong with no flip flops.
Old 10-01-2004, 03:52 AM
Ace Offline

Send a message via AIM to Ace Send a message via MSN to Ace

Yeah, it got a little repetative at the debate, but there was two major things during the first debate that both canidates couldve been hurt from:

Bush: Paused TWICE during the debate. Pausing is BAD during debates. Lucky for him it wasn't any longer than 7-10 seconds.

Kerry: Well...he did get a little repetative himself, talking at two points about Bush's failure to capture bin Ladden when he had the opportunity. In order to 'win' a debate, I think you would need to point out many failures instead of one. Also Kerry got a little too hopeful at points when talking about 'global treaties' such as a global warming treaty, ect. It would be hard to get the WHOLE world's support like that.

If I could make a decision now...well...I'm not really sure. Bush needs to be a little more faster at decision making and Kerry needs to exploit many mistakes of Bush than the few that he stated.

So far, I would stick with Bush, Kerry's hopes for future worldwide reform just seems a little unreal for now. I'm not really sure though. Everything just seems foggy after this debate.

Old 10-01-2004, 03:58 AM
Alakazam Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Alakazam

Well, both deviated from the questions, both were rather redundant, but that was to be expected.

I think Kerry defended himself well, and decisively explained his plans and policies to the American people.

Bush looked angry during the debate, and mostly just regurgitated what he's been saying all along. He came across as strong, as always, but a bit misguided.

An ABC poll (the people polled were balanced between parties) says that Kerry won by a large amount (more than 15%)
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.
Old 10-01-2004, 04:17 AM
Lord Celebi Offline
Zhu-Quiao

Good Point Duke, Bush did pause a lot. I think though that his long pause after the moderator asked him what his 'miscalculation' was, was a time period of him making up a lie. If you know the truth, you dont take 10-15 seconds to say it.
Old 10-01-2004, 04:31 AM
ElimN8 Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ElimN8 Send a message via MSN to ElimN8 Send a message via Yahoo to ElimN8

Officialdom granted.

In my opinion, Kerry went over very strongly. He clearly stated his intentions for reformation and defended himself well, giving supporting evidence to Bush's fallacies during his term.

His opponent, however, I can not say the same for. Throughout the debate, he made continuous slip-ups, most of which were simple word confusions, along with non-responsive pauses. He ventured off-topic moreso than Kerry I'd say; often times I myself was confused as to what exactly he was talking about, or how it had any relation to the topic being presented. I also found that a lot of his statements were simply untrue, though I found him to be sincere in what he was saying.

All in all, I would definitely vote Kerry, not because of any group affiliation but merely because he has distinct plans, and although his aspirations may be high on some of the other subjects (Duke), he has the right attitude, and I think he would be an invaluable president of the United States.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:30 PM
Jack of Clovers Offline
~lil leprechaun~

Send a message via ICQ to Jack of Clovers Send a message via AIM to Jack of Clovers Send a message via MSN to Jack of Clovers Send a message via Yahoo to Jack of Clovers Send a message via Skype™ to Jack of Clovers

Bush- paused often, broke one of the rules (talking to the other candidate), started a rebuttle w/o Jim's approval at first and went over the time limit once or twice. i also disagreed with things he said
Kerry- kept saying how much Bush is wrong and was inconsistant with his own choices, no pauses... relaxed but boring.

Kerry did look a lot stronger up there than Bush did. how much affect does it have on who wins? who knows. i think my parents are voting Bush just so he can srew up the country even more. heh

~Jack~

-| Links |-
Old 10-01-2004, 09:41 PM
Lord Celebi Offline
Zhu-Quiao

Default Re: The Debates

Thank you E8.

I agree with both Lep and E8, Kerry did defend himself well, though He didnt say when Bush said "Help is on the way, Why would you send Help to a wrong war, wrong place, wrong time?" Kerry shoulda said: "Because, you started this war, and destroyed some things, so I have to fix it."
Old 10-01-2004, 11:33 PM
Matthew Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Send a message via AIM to Matthew Send a message via Yahoo to Matthew

Heh... for those of you who are saying that Bush did poorly up there, look at it this way:

Kerry has always been debating... he was on the High School Debate team, as well as in College. Bush, however, has always disliked speaking in debates... as his father was. I thought that Bush was rather relaxed... I noticed a few times that Kerry's hands were shaking. I would vote for bush if I were 18... gah... I miss teh supid election by like 3 months... pfft.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:47 PM
Lord Celebi Offline
Zhu-Quiao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew
Heh... for those of you who are saying that Bush did poorly up there, look at it this way:

Kerry has always been debating... he was on the High School Debate team, as well as in College. Bush, however, has always disliked speaking in debates... as his father was. I thought that Bush was rather relaxed... I noticed a few times that Kerry's hands were shaking. I would vote for bush if I were 18... gah... I miss teh supid election by like 3 months... pfft.
That's because Kerry was nervous. He was speaking to 55 MILLION PEOPLE for the first time. Bush has done it many times, as he's president, so he was relaxed and used to it.

Good thing you're not 18, LOL.
Old 10-02-2004, 12:03 AM
Alakazam Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rust
I hesitantly agree, no offense. We need Bush out of office; I don't think this country will be able to stand four more years of him at the helm. *shudders*
Old 10-02-2004, 12:35 AM
Matthew Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Send a message via AIM to Matthew Send a message via Yahoo to Matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by rust
That's because Kerry was nervous. He was speaking to 55 MILLION PEOPLE for the first time. Bush has done it many times, as he's president, so he was relaxed and used to it.

None taken...

Heh... Meh... I actually wouldn't vote for either of the candidates, actually now that I think about it... but because I'm Republican... I say I'd vote for bush... I'm actually undecieded... I don't like either of the candidates, personally. XD Meh... this post is somewhat confusing, but meh... w/e.
Old 10-02-2004, 12:54 AM
Alakazam Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew

None taken...

Heh... Meh... I actually wouldn't vote for either of the candidates, actually now that I think about it... but because I'm Republican... I say I'd vote for bush... I'm actually undecieded... I don't like either of the candidates, personally. XD Meh... this post is somewhat confusing, but meh... w/e.
The only reason I concurred was because I honestly think that Bush will go to war again, and even mroe lives will be lost pointlessly.
Old 10-03-2004, 12:13 AM
JohtoTrainer Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to JohtoTrainer Send a message via Yahoo to JohtoTrainer

If Kerry is elected he will be the most girlie-man president of all time, even worse then Carter. Kerry is always saying how he'll do better but let's see how he does when we're attacked in the first nine months of presidency if he's elected, which I'm sure will happen, since he's such a flip flopper and is trying to please the whole world, we'll be such an easy target.

This suit is black not.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:47 PM
Lord Celebi Offline
Zhu-Quiao

Jsut to revive I guess (Its pinned though LOL). Tonight's the VP debate. I'll either edit or post my comments after the debate.
Closed Thread