Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Interactive Center » Competitive Battling

Competitive Battling This board is for competitive battling discussion. Get team help or learn to play competitively.

Old 05-13-2007, 07:56 PM
Echo Offline
PE2K Team Rater

Send a message via AIM to Echo
Default Moveset Threads

As Pokémon Diamond/Pearl appeared on the market, people have gained sudden attention towards this part of the forum. Surely new strategies are coming up and the new generation develops new ideas about the mechanics of competitive Pokemon battling. Interest in this part of the game is, of course, more than welcome, but there are some things most people have left unnoticed or just ouright ignored.

What most people seem to forget is that we have two quite inventive and helpful threads:

The Moveset Discussion

and

The "Get A Team Here" Thread

Most new members, and unfortunately some older members as well, have completely forgotten the existence of these two threads and are stacking up the board with threads about their newest moveset idea or what Pokemon they should include in their new D/P team. This is not right. People should first consult themselves whether they can fit their topic into one of those threads. For reference, there are 10 out of 20 threads on the first page, which could simply be a part of the Moveset Discussion -thread.

Threads about a simple/single moveset should really not be tolerated as they can be informed/asked for in the thread for that purpose. I do encourage intelligent threads about certain Pokemon you may want to discuss. I don't have the power to force a rule like this, so this is just a general recommendation from a member to other members.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:22 PM
The Maple Syrup Baptist Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to The Maple Syrup Baptist Send a message via MSN to The Maple Syrup Baptist
Default Re: Moveset Threads

Well said ... I only post single Pokemon movesets or team when they're finalized and ready for battle. If I just want to discuss it I post in the Moveset Discussion... At the time I replied to you however, you may of seen that my post is the latest one, and I think it's one or two days old now. I think it's because people don't want to confine their ideas into a thread full of them, many probably looked over and forgotten about. Wen you post a new thread, everyone sees it and it's fresh, ready for comments. It's your thread, and that's why you're seeing so many lemon threads here.

So, I respect your word... I know some people won't. The one thing you didn't mention, though, is exactly what is this board for? If we have 2 threads, one for Moveset Discussion, the other for getting a team of Pokemon together, what is the New Thread button for then?

To me, it seems it's like it's for posting finalized Pokemon or teams of Pokemon to be rated and/or critiqued. So this means that Moveset Discussion is to discuss movesets and strategies relating to them, Get A Team is for getting together a team and recommending good Pokemon to newer players, and the New Thread button is when you're finished your moveset and want to see what other players think of it... Am I correct, or at least on the ball?

I rather like this board, I'd hate for it to get limited or even closed because of people who can't abide by a few simple rules. But you have to understand that it's much about not getting ignored thatpeople don't abide by them.

Last edited by The Maple Syrup Baptist; 05-13-2007 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:41 PM
Lucavi Offline

Send a message via AIM to Lucavi Send a message via MSN to Lucavi

I agree with the general concept of your thread, but it's a very hard rule to enforce, specially now that DP is pretty damn popular and everyone wants a moveset for everything they capture. We'll just have to wait till things cool down a little until things come back to normal
Old 05-13-2007, 09:44 PM
Leman Offline

Send a message via AIM to Leman

I think that this should be Sticked, and the Title should be renamed "USE THE STICKED THREADS!" That way people could be linked to it. Sorta like the post by Alakazam that said that only lv 100 teams should be posted here.

Done: 8680

I don't ref forum battles/1v1s. Don't PM me to ref, IM me instead.
I need to have basic battles.

I grade week old stories that are Hard rank or lower. :)

Old 05-14-2007, 03:59 AM
Ultima Boss Offline

Heh, I have stressed this quite a bit, through my sarcasm. Just like you, I don't have the authority to enforce this rule. So, while you keep a more direct approach, Echo [whatever you want me to call you], I'll just keep wreaking havoc with my sarcastic ways. It's always fun to see the reactions of various n00bies and/or so-called veteran members.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:17 PM
Echo Offline
PE2K Team Rater

Send a message via AIM to Echo

Quote:
Originally Posted by the View Post
So, I respect your word... I know some people won't. The one thing you didn't mention, though, is exactly what is this board for? If we have 2 threads, one for Moveset Discussion, the other for getting a team of Pokemon together, what is the New Thread button for then?

To me, it seems it's like it's for posting finalized Pokemon or teams of Pokemon to be rated and/or critiqued. So this means that Moveset Discussion is to discuss movesets and strategies relating to them, Get A Team is for getting together a team and recommending good Pokemon to newer players, and the New Thread button is when you're finished your moveset and want to see what other players think of it... Am I correct, or at least on the ball?

I rather like this board, I'd hate for it to get limited or even closed because of people who can't abide by a few simple rules. But you have to understand that it's much about not getting ignored thatpeople don't abide by them.
This part of the forum, in my opinion, is for complete teams, which are used for competitive play, be over Wi-Fi, NetBattle or anything close. Simple movesets, especially standard or come-to-be-standard movesets, should be discussed in the thread indicated for it. It would make the board much cleaner and new threads wouldn't be uselessly popping up every hour. Also, as I mentioned, intelligent discussion threads should be more than welcome. Threads with the first post looking like this:

INFERNAPE ???
??? NATURE
i dont do evs

FLAMETHROWER
FLARE BLITZ IS A COOL MOVE
FIGHTING ATTACK
???

are really not welcome and we currently have more than enough of those. If people can discuss the moveset intelligently (which I have yet to see), then it's more than possible to keep up with those threads. People should also learn how to use the Search -button as there are limitless amounts of threads for certain Pokemon.

This wouldn't be limiting, it would be cleaning up and organizing to prevent useless posts and spam in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucavi
I agree with the general concept of your thread, but it's a very hard rule to enforce, specially now that DP is pretty damn popular and everyone wants a moveset for everything they capture. We'll just have to wait till things cool down a little until things come back to normal
Well, it's your word that matters, but I sincerely hope that you won't look every thread through your fingers. Though, you haven't really done it that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman
I think that this should be Sticked, and the Title should be renamed "USE THE STICKED THREADS!" That way people could be linked to it. Sorta like the post by Alakazam that said that only lv 100 teams should be posted here.
You're missing the point of this thread pretty badly. If this were to be stickied, people still wouln't look at it, because they're apparently not really using the current sticky threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima Boss
Heh, I have stressed this quite a bit, through my sarcasm. Just like you, I don't have the authority to enforce this rule. So, while you keep a more direct approach, Echo [whatever you want me to call you], I'll just keep wreaking havoc with my sarcastic ways. It's always fun to see the reactions of various n00bies and/or so-called veteran members.
I do think that direct approach was quite necessary, but I do enjoy sarcasm over anything.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:33 AM
Leman Offline

Send a message via AIM to Leman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo View Post
You're missing the point of this thread pretty badly. If this were to be stickied, people still wouln't look at it, because they're apparently not really using the current sticky threads.
Well, If you make it sort off Pop out, people are bound to notice it. I'm not saying this should be sticked, to look like another boring thread of rules, but a place that can be linked to when people fail to abide by the rules, something that is noticeable.

Done: 8680

I don't ref forum battles/1v1s. Don't PM me to ref, IM me instead.
I need to have basic battles.

I grade week old stories that are Hard rank or lower. :)

Old 05-16-2007, 11:22 PM
Kenny Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman View Post
Well, If you make it sort off Pop out, people are bound to notice it. I'm not saying this should be sticked, to look like another boring thread of rules, but a place that can be linked to when people fail to abide by the rules, something that is noticeable.
It's more "noticeable" when people keep posting in it. That way, the thread stays on the front page (kinda like now since I just posted in this).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo View Post
People should also learn how to use the Search -button as there are limitless amounts of threads for certain Pokemon.

This wouldn't be limiting, it would be cleaning up and organizing to prevent useless posts and spam in general.
I completely agree with the Search thing. Someone just posted a "Rate my DP Team" thread with nothing to rate. It's more of a "Make my DP Team for me" thread.

EVERYTHING in his team has already been given a DP moveset for (if you use the Search).