Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Interactive Center » Competitive Battling

Competitive Battling This board is for competitive battling discussion. Get team help or learn to play competitively.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:06 AM
Finni Offline

Default Beginner in competative battling [Help]

I've read countless threads in regards to Strategies, teams, and movesets. I also tried going to Google and finding other forums and such. But frankly, with the information in bits and pieces all scattered about and no one to help me decipher them, I'm lost.

If someone is willing to tutor me and have some patience with a beginner my AIM is Meowlichan; e-mail/MSN: x_intherain@hotmail.com

If a thread like this has been made, please let me know I don't mean to make a repeat. When given information I will edit this thread and maybe it will help some other newbies too. :P
-----------------

Q: What are the "definitions" of all the CB lingo? Some I've seen but don't know (correct me if I'm wrong):
EQ: Earthquake
Sweeper: Pokémon who's strategy is based on attacking.
Special Wall: Pokémon who is meant to take in Physical hits.
Physical Wall: A Sweeper who uses Special moves.
Special Sweeper: A Sweeper who uses Special moves.
Physical Sweeper: A Sweeper who uses Physical moves.
Hazer: Refers to the move 'Haze'
Pseudo Hazer: Somebody who forces people to switch through moves such as Roar, Whirlwind and Yawn.
Supporter: Pokémon who is meant to support the rest of your team through strategies such as Baton Passing and Clericing.
Cleric: Pokémon who uses Heal Bell or Aromatherapy.
Staller: Pokémon who's Strategy is to put the opponent on something that happens over a period of time (Toxic would be the most obvious), and then keep yourself alive.
Annoyer: Pokémon who uses moves to diminish the opponent through strategies such as Thunder Wave and Confuse Ray, Sleep Powder and Leech Seed and Will-0-Wisp (works by itself really).
OHKO: One Hit Knock Out
Baton Passer: Refers to the move 'Baton Pass'
Rapid Spinner: Refers to the move 'Rapid Spin'
Spiker: Refers to the move 'Spikes'

Q: What does BL, UU, OU, NU mean? (Taken from Smogon. See Here)
Over used/Standards: "You see these Pokemon pretty often, if not everywhere. You should make sure to counter all of these in your standard teams."
BL: Borderline; "Standard Pokémon that are not as commonly used, but can either play well or decent in the Standard metagame and/or are too powerful for Underused."
UU: Under used; "Pokemon rarely if ever see use in standard play and are therefore underused."
NU: Never used; "Pokemon are considered to be poor choices even in an UU team, and are given their own tier."

Q: What makes a pokémon good at a certain job? IE a sweeper.
hsb39: "Look at lists of OU/Standard Pokemon, look at their Stats, movepool etc. and you can see what kind of job they do (Since they are OU, consider that they are good at it)."

Q: What are some pokémon commonly used in the jobs?

Q: What is chain breeding?
hsb39: "Chain Breeding is Breeding A LOT, whether it be for the right nature and/or ability, or getting moves on the Pokemon (to get Substitute on a Minun you have to breed Skitty with a Kecleon or Smeargle until you get a Male Skitty [12.5%] and breed that with a Female Minun)."

Q: Helpful comments on EVs, Natures, and EV training.
hsb39: "Natures and EVs really depend on what Pokemon you are using and how you are using it, for example a standard Special Sweeping EVs and Nature is Modest or Timid nature, 252 EVs in SAtk, 252 EVs in Spd and 6 into HP. Good EV training spots are places where you find Pokemon that give to the Stat you want Most of the time if not all of the time, for example, caves are usually good spots for training Spd EVs as you find mostly Zubats and Golbats."

If you have any comments about the following questions they would be appreciated.

Q: Some common movesets/combos used?
BoltBeam: Thunderbolt+Ice Beam
QuakeSlide: Earthquake+Rock Slide
SubPassing: Baton Passing Substitutes

Q: A good beginner team?

Q: How to properly use a team? Possibly some small examples?

Version: Diamond
PM or AIM (Meowlichan) me if you add. Always looking for new friends.

Last edited by Finni; 04-27-2007 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:20 AM
hsb39 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Default Re: Beginner in competative battling [Help]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finni View Post
I've read countless threads in regards to Strategies, teams, and movesets. I also tried going to Google and finding other forums and such. But frankly, with the information in bits and pieces all scattered about and no one to help me decipher them, I'm lost.

If someone is willing to tutor me and have some patience with a beginner my AIM is Meowlichan; e-mail/MSN: x_intherain@hotmail.com

If a thread like this has been made, please let me know I don't mean to make a repeat. When given information I will edit this thread and maybe it will help some other newbies too. :P
-----------------

Q: What are the "definitions" of all the CB lingo? Some I've seen but don't know (correct me if I'm wrong):
EQEarthquake
Sweeper Somebody who's strategy is based on attacking.
Special WallSomebody who is meant to take in Special Hits.
Physical WallSomebody who is meant to take in Physical hits.
Special SweeperA Sweeper who uses Special moves.
Physical SweeperA Sweeper who uses Physical moves.
HazerSomebody who uses Haze.
Pseudo HazerSomebody who forces people to switch through moves such as Roar Whirlwind and Yawn.
SupporterSomebody who's meant to support the rest of your team through strategies such as Baton Passing and Clericing.
ClericSomebody who uses Heal Bell or Aromatherapy.
Staller Somebody who's Strategy is to put the opponent on something that happens over a period of time (Toxic would be the most obvious), and then keep yourself alive.
AnnoyerSomebody who uses moves to diminish the opponent through strategies such as Thunder Wave and Confuse Ray, Sleep Powder and Leech Seed and Will-0-Wisp (works by itself really).
OHKO: One Hit Knock OutYup
Baton Passer: Refers to the move 'Baton Pass'Yes
Rapid Spinner: Refers to the move 'Rapid Spin'Yup
Spiker: Refers to the move 'Spikes'Yes

Q: What does BL, UU, OU, NU mean? (Taken from Smogon. See Here)
Over used/Standards: "You see these Pokemon pretty often, if not everywhere. You should make sure to counter all of these in your standard teams."
BL: Borderline; "Standard Pokémon that are not as commonly used, but can either play well or decent in the Standard metagame and/or are too powerful for Underused."
UU: Under used; "Pokemon rarely if ever see use in standard play and are therefore underused."
NU: Never used; "Pokemon are considered to be poor choices even in an UU team, and are given their own tier."

Q: What are the roles of these jobs? (see above)

Q: What makes a pokémon good at a certain job? IE a sweeper.

Q: What are some pokémon commonly used in the jobs?

Q: What is chain breeding?

Q: Helpful comments on EVs, Natures, and EV training.

If you have any comments about the following questions they would be appreciated.

Q: Some common movesets/combos used?

Q: A good beginner team?

Q: How to properly use a team? Possibly some small examples?
Now for the questions, if you look at lists of OU/Standard Pokemon, look at their Stats, movepool etc. and you can see what kind of job they do (Since they are OU, consider that they are good at it). To my recollection, Chain Breeding is Breeding A LOT, whether it be for the right nature and/or ability, or getting moves on the Pokemon (to get Substitute on a Minun you have to breed Skitty with a Kecleon or Smeargle until you get a Male Skitty [12.5%] and breed that with a Female Minun). Natures and EVs really depend on what Pokemon you are using and how you are using it, for example a standard Special Sweeping EVs and Nature is Modest or Timid nature, 252 EVs in SAtk, 252 EVs in Spd and 6 into HP. Good EV training spots are places where you find Pokemon that give to the Stat you want Most of the time if not all of the time, for example, caves are usually good spots for training Spd EVs as you find mostly Zubats and Golbats. I'll say a few combos often referred to: BoltBeam (Thunderbolt+Ice Beam), QuakeSlide (Earthquake+Rock Slide), SubPassing (Baton Passing Substitutes). Most attacking combos are used because they cover a vast majority of Pokemon and non-attacking are just effective. Good beginner teams are very good with Sweepers to get used to battling, then adjust to the other tactics. The only way to properly battle is to make the right move, there are only 2 choices really, use a move or switch, switching takes prediction of moves that your opponent is going to use, which really isn't that hard, attacking is using the best move, whether it be a powerful move or a Strategy such TANKING or Baton Passing.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:00 PM
Finni Offline

Default Re: Beginner in competative battling [Help]

Thank you! That helps a lot, now I can understand the strategy threads better. :P

Version: Diamond
PM or AIM (Meowlichan) me if you add. Always looking for new friends.