Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Games » First & Second Generations

First & Second Generations Discuss the first and second generation games: Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver and Crystal.

Old 04-20-2007, 07:08 PM
snorelax_himself Offline

Default We're going after Lugia

The master ball got used- don't ask - but we're going in after Lugia anyway.

We're loading up on revives, ultra balls, lemonades, and elixers.

The main party is:
Suicune
Snorelax
Kadabra
Haunter

The first two can hit and can take a hit. Kadabra has psychic and recover and should be ok. Haunter is going because he has psychic and hypnosis which we think we'll need.

We also must take:
Gyrados- 'cause he's where whirlpool ended up
Noctowl- 'cause he's where flash ended up

The strategy is to just stand there and take whatever gets dished out using revives and healing until Lugia runs out of PP's on anything offensive he can do. Then we'll try to hit him, drop him into the red, sleep him , bag'im, and tag'im.

Wish us luck- we'll let you know.

Lock and load!!
Old 04-20-2007, 07:14 PM
spr bhav Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via MSN to spr bhav
Default Re: We're going after Lugia

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorelax_himself View Post

The main party is:
Suicune
Snorelax
Kadabra
Haunter

The first two can hit and can take a hit. Kadabra has psychic and recover and should be ok. Haunter is going because he has psychic and hypnosis which we think we'll need.

We also must take:

The strategy is to just stand there and take whatever gets dished out using revives and healing until Lugia runs out of PP's on anything offensive he can do. Then we'll try to hit him, drop him into the red, sleep him , bag'im, and tag'im.

Lock and load!!
good luck ... I am not really good at the 2nd Gen, more better at the others..

[Rezent] (Pkmn HeartGOLD):
Friend Code: 2536-6007-1924.

[ Rezent ] - (Pkmn PLATINUM):
Friend Code: 2364 8263 0463
Old 04-20-2007, 07:27 PM
Ness Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Ness Send a message via MSN to Ness

Heavy Ball is going to be the most effective ball for this job by far. Catch rate on a Lugia with an Ultra Ball is 6 but with a Heavy Ball it is 23. Heavy Ball is made from I think a Black Apricorn (anyone can correct me here ). Have one made then use the Pokemon clone trick to make about 10-20. You can try freezing Lugia with Ice Beam or Blizzard then bring him down to 1Hp with False Swipe. If you do this then you won't have too much trouble catching Lugia. Make sure you save before you fight it too.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:58 PM
snorelax_himself Offline

Hmm. Sounds interesting.

Don't know how to get a ball "made". Do have a Blk Apricorn I think. Does that Kurt guy do that? 6 percent sounds like we may be chucking them awhile. 23 percent soulds a lot better.

Have absolutely no idea what the "Pokemon clone trick" is. Would really like to know.

Don't have anybody with Ice Beam or Blizzard. Suicune's only in the 50's.

Or anybody with False Swipe. I think Noctowl still has tackle or peck which we'll use when things get close to the end.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:18 PM
Ness Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Hmm. Sounds interesting.

Don't know how to get a ball "made". Do have a Blk Apricorn I think. Does that Kurt guy do that? 6 percent sounds like we may be chucking them awhile. 23 percent soulds a lot better.

Have absolutely no idea what the "Pokemon clone trick" is. Would really like to know.

Don't have anybody with Ice Beam or Blizzard. Suicune's only in the 50's.

Or anybody with False Swipe. I think Noctowl still has tackle or peck which we'll use when things get close to the end.
Ok well it isn't 23 percent . It is the catch rate used in a formula. If you want a link go here though it might be over your head (forget about it if you don't have a basic knowledge of algebra ).

Cloning Pokemon in GSC is easy: this will help you more than I can.

Don't worry if you don't have a freezing move. It is harder to land but easier to work with a frozen enemy than an asleep enemy. Hypnosis on Haunter will work fine too.

Farfetch'd, Cubone/Marowak, and Scyther/Scizor are the only Pokemon which will learn False Swipe.

And yes that 'Kurt guy' will make you a Heavy Ball. And I just double checked and it IS a BLK Apricorn that you need.

I just want to say that the setup I mentioned is the best way to catch Lugia. You will catch Lugia with the strategy you suggested but it might take longer (might not either since a lot of it is luck).
Old 04-20-2007, 09:23 PM
MagmarMan Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Quote:

The main party is:
Suicune
Snorelax
Kadabra
Haunter

We also must take:

Lock and load!!
It wont work. Kadabra should evolve and it wont have time to recover when Lugia hits it.
You should train to a higher level and try to have a pokemon that has really high defenses and attacks. Snorlax has terrible defense. A good pokemon would be Tryranitar since he could use rock attacks on lugia and is good against his attacks. Use my advice and best of luck.

P.S. Your pokemon should be around lv. 60.
Banner By Me ^_^
Old 04-20-2007, 09:51 PM
Venusaur456 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagmarMan View Post
It wont work. Kadabra should evolve and it wont have time to recover when Lugia hits it.
You should train to a higher level and try to have a pokemon that has really high defenses and attacks. Snorlax has terrible defense. A good pokemon would be Tryranitar since he could use rock attacks on lugia and is good against his attacks. Use my advice and best of luck.

Exactly that is good advice Magmar Man.

VPP URPG

Currently: Playing ball with me|Is Level 5|Level 6: 2,646 posts
Old 04-20-2007, 09:53 PM
Ness Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:

Snorlax will take any Hydro Pumps without much damage but Aeroblasts will KO it. Opposite can be said about Tyranitar. Dragonite would be a solid tank for this if possible. However I think his team should be fine and will eventually get the job done.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:54 PM
snorelax_himself Offline

Interesting but unclear stuff on the capture rates.

Can't tell if the E that is generated is the capture rate itself or if another division by 256 is required.

If I assume 255 base HP for Lugia for ease of calculation and assume that we can get him asleep and down in to the 30 points left range, the value for E looks to be about .38 on a heavy ball. If that is the final catch rate percent of 38% or so, way cool. If, as the page suggests we need to get a random number between 0 and 255 generated under that E value to get a catch, we're in fracking trouble.

It's either a 13 percent chance or basically no chance with an ultra ball depending on if you throw in the extra division.

That formula appears to be MUCH more sensitive to the ball catch rate than the Pokemon's curent hit points.

Not really interested in the clone trick. I think turning electronics off in midcycle like that could damage them. Still like the cartridge too much to be willing risking screwing it up.

We'll have to hope Suicune's Aurora Beam and Icy Wind will be icy enough (maybe his nevermeltice will help.)

Hmm, if we taught Farfetched Flash and he learned False Swipe, we could leave the stupid Noctowl at home.

Gotta go see "that Kurt guy" now.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:26 PM
snorelax_himself Offline

Quote:
A good pokemon would be Tryranitar since he could use rock attacks on lugia and is good against his attacks.
Yeah, but to get a Tyranitar we would have to catch a Pupitar on Mount Silver and train it all the way up. I might get old by then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ness
Dragonite would be a solid tank for this if possible.
Got one of those, but he's not real strong.
Extremespeed
Zap Cannon (i'm not always in control here)
Twister
Dragon Breath

The Kadabra has:
Psychic
Psybeam
Recover
Disable

We were thinking Recover would be useful.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:41 PM
Ness Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Yeah, but to get a Tyranitar we would have to catch a Pupitar on Mount Silver and train it all the way up. I might get old by then.

Got one of those, but he's not real strong.
Extremespeed
Zap Cannon (i'm not always in control here)
Twister
Dragon Breath

The Kadabra has:
Psychic
Psybeam
Recover
Disable

We were thinking Recover would be useful.
Replace Psybeam with an elemental punch like Fire Punch since you two attacking moves of the same type is redundant. Replace Disable with Thunder Wave if possible and if not teach it Ice/Thunder Punch.

Dragonite with Extremespeed is good (I use it though it isn't the standard). Since you are playing Crystal teach it Ice Beam at the Move Tutor as well as Thunderbolt and Surf. That should be overall a pretty effective Dragonite. Replace Snorlax with this guy.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:50 PM
Blue_Dragon_Mew Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Blue_Dragon_Mew Send a message via MSN to Blue_Dragon_Mew Send a message via Yahoo to Blue_Dragon_Mew

Psychic moves SUCK against Psychic types. Lugia is Psychic/Flying so dark/rock/electric moves will help. Parylizing can really help too. It makes him less likely to attack, slower, and easier to catch.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:57 PM
Ness Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Dragon_Mew View Post
Psychic moves SUCK against Psychic types. Lugia is Psychic/Flying so dark/rock/electric moves will help. Parylizing can really help too. It makes him less likely to attack, slower, and easier to catch.
You won't want to Paralyze it. You'll want to save the status for Sleep or Freeze as they are also twice as effective as Paralyze when it comes to catching Pokemon.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:02 PM
snorelax_himself Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness
Replace Psybeam with an elemental punch like Fire Punch since you two attacking moves of the same type is redundant.
A TM at the department store? We could do that....

Quote:
Dragonite with Extremespeed is good (I use it though it isn't the standard). Since you are playing Crystal teach it Ice Beam at the Move Tutor as well as Thunderbolt and Surf. That should be overall a pretty effective Dragonite. Replace Snorlax with this guy.
But I think the move tutor only is available after you beat Ash, correct? We want to Lugia to be able to beat Ash in the first place.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:03 PM
snorelax_himself Offline

Quote:
You'll want to save the status for Sleep or Freeze as they are also twice as effective as Paralyze when it comes to catching Pokemon.
Yeah, and I like them asleep so that can't hurt us anymore. We're tender.