Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Games » First & Second Generations

First & Second Generations Discuss the first and second generation games: Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver and Crystal.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:44 AM
Spinner Offline
Master Trainer

Post Xatu moveset

Okay, so I recently found out that Xatu actually has pretty good stats, namely special attack and special defense. I want to train him, but I'm having trouble with finding a moveset for him. This is what I have deduced so far:

Xatu
Night Shade
Psychic
Haze
Confuse Ray

I'm still not happy with it though - Night Shade could be better. I could replace it with Drill peck, as it's one of Xatu's egg moves, but I'm not sure if it's attack stat is good enough to pull it off. Not 100% sure about Haze, either, come to that...

Thoughts?
Old 04-01-2007, 02:21 PM
Finchy Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Finchy Send a message via MSN to Finchy Send a message via Skype™ to Finchy
Default Re: Xatu moveset

It should be able to handle the Drill Peck. try this:

Xatu @ Leftovers
-Confuse Ray
-Psychic
-Future Sight
-Drill Peck

That should help it take advantage of both it's types, and be a bit of an annoyer with Confuse Ray. Longer battles can be helped by Future Sight.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:11 PM
Spinner Offline
Master Trainer

Post Re: Xatu moveset

That's what I'll do then! Thanks, Finchy!
Old 04-01-2007, 09:23 PM
Ness Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Ness Send a message via MSN to Ness

I'd suggest what Finchy said but instead of Future Sight (which has limited use), make it learn Giga Drain. Giga Drain will help you take out Rock or Ground types that might try to take you out with Rockslide.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:05 AM
Ashman Offline

I say get a Kadabra. >.> <.<

Lol. anyways,

Psychic,
Confuse Ray,
Giga Drain,
And how exactly does Xatu learn drill peck?
I'm not sure it can. See, I like putting Ice moves on my high-special-attack pokemon which is why I like Kadabra so much... but you're right, I prefer the stat layout of Xatu.

If you really want a physical attack go return, I guess. Otherwise, Nightshade seems like the best option.

I woulda guessed Gyarados. And Dragonite blows, its all about Dragonair
Old 04-06-2007, 04:02 AM
Leman Offline

Send a message via AIM to Leman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashman View Post
I say get a Kadabra. >.> <.<

Lol. anyways,

Psychic,
Confuse Ray,
Giga Drain,
And how exactly does Xatu learn drill peck?
I'm not sure it can. See, I like putting Ice moves on my high-special-attack pokemon which is why I like Kadabra so much... but you're right, I prefer the stat layout of Xatu.

If you really want a physical attack go return, I guess. Otherwise, Nightshade seems like the best option.
Drill Peck is an Egg move. You get it by breeding a male mon that knows Drill Peck, with a Female Natu or Xatu. The Baby has Drill Peck.

Done: 8680

I don't ref forum battles/1v1s. Don't PM me to ref, IM me instead.
I need to have basic battles.

I grade week old stories that are Hard rank or lower. :)

Old 04-06-2007, 04:13 AM
Ashman Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman View Post
Drill Peck is an Egg move. You get it by breeding a male mon that knows Drill Peck, with a Female Natu or Xatu. The Baby has Drill Peck.
Mmm... didn't realize that. Sorry, carry on then

I woulda guessed Gyarados. And Dragonite blows, its all about Dragonair
Old 04-06-2007, 11:04 AM
Spinner Offline
Master Trainer

Huh. Never even thought of Giga drain.... Good idea! So what if I did this then:

Psychic
Confuse Ray
Giga Drain
Night Shade

I still like Night Shade, mainly for it's consistent damage. It means I don't need to worry about high defense pokemon like shuckle, or stat increasing moves like Barrier, Acid Armour and Amnesia
Old 04-06-2007, 01:48 PM
Finchy Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Finchy Send a message via MSN to Finchy Send a message via Skype™ to Finchy

Not hugely effective until you get to a higher level. I'd still recommend the moveset that Ness posted.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:19 PM
Venusaur456 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

I suggest you use Drill Peck instead of Haze.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:47 AM
Spinner Offline
Master Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finchy View Post
Not hugely effective until you get to a higher level. I'd still recommend the moveset that Ness posted.
The only difference is Night Shade. I like Drill Peck, but I'm not sure if Xatu has a high enough attack stat (The maximum possible being 248, minimum 218). Do you think it is high enough to pull it off? I suppose it's not as bad as it could be...

EDIT: I found out that Xatu can learn Faint Attack. How about that? Then it would still be a special attack, plus their is the added bonus that it never misses, and is a dark type move for diversity.

Last edited by Spinner; 04-07-2007 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:59 PM
MagmarMan Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
The only difference is Night Shade. I like Drill Peck, but I'm not sure if Xatu has a high enough attack stat (The maximum possible being 248, minimum 218). Do you think it is high enough to pull it off? I suppose it's not as bad as it could be...

EDIT: I found out that Xatu can learn Faint Attack. How about that? Then it would still be a special attack, plus their is the added bonus that it never misses, and is a dark type move for diversity.
As much as I like Drill Peck myself I think that Xatu doesn't have the stats for it. I like the idea of Faint Attack as you can use it on Xatu's fellow Psychic types.

Hope that I helped a little!
Banner By Me ^_^
Old 04-07-2007, 06:28 PM
Ness Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Ness Send a message via MSN to Ness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagmarMan View Post
As much as I like Drill Peck myself I think that Xatu doesn't have the stats for it. I like the idea of Faint Attack as you can use it on Xatu's fellow Psychic types.

Hope that I helped a little!
Drill Peck does far more damage used by a Xatu than Faint Attack actually. Drill Peck has stronger base damage than Faint Attack (80 compared to 60) plus it gets STAB off Drill Peck which effectively gives the attack 120 base damage which is twice the damage of Faint Attack. Even with Xatu's lower attack stat (75 compared with 95 base Sp.Attack), Drill Peck will still be FAR more effective esoecially against those Psychics you were talking about who have laughable Defence but above average Sp.Defence. Besides, non-STABed Dark moves aren't that great anyways.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:44 PM
MagmarMan Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Drill Peck does far more damage used by a Xatu than Faint Attack actually. Drill Peck has stronger base damage than Faint Attack (80 compared to 60) plus it gets STAB off Drill Peck which effectively gives the attack 120 base damage which is twice the damage of Faint Attack. Even with Xatu's lower attack stat (75 compared with 95 base Sp.Attack), Drill Peck will still be FAR more effective esoecially against those Psychics you were talking about who have laughable Defence but above average Sp.Defence. Besides, non-STABed Dark moves aren't that great anyways.
Well I guess that settles that. Go with Drill Peck!!
Banner By Me ^_^
Old 04-07-2007, 11:46 PM
Venusaur456 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagmarMan View Post
Well I guess that settles that. Go with Drill Peck!!
Drill Peck is a verrrrry good move so I say go with drill peck.

VPP URPG

Currently: Playing ball with me|Is Level 5|Level 6: 2,646 posts