Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Interactive Center » Competitive Battling

Competitive Battling This board is for competitive battling discussion. Get team help or learn to play competitively.

Old 03-23-2007, 11:07 PM
perplexed_one Offline

Default Beginner questions

hi im new here, and im fairly new to pokemon gaming. so i have pokemon silver on gbc.

delaying evolution has its good side that being that moves are learned quicker. but is there a drawback to not evolving? by evolving am I getting any additional upgrades on top of the usual stat upgrade i get by leveling up?

also, does an pokemon hatching from an egg, always start at lvl 5?

does a breed hatchling always have better base stats than its wild-found (same lvl) counterpart?
Old 03-23-2007, 11:14 PM
Lucavi Offline

Send a message via AIM to Lucavi Send a message via MSN to Lucavi
Default Re: beginner questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by perplexed_one View Post
delaying evolution has its good side that being that moves are learned quicker. but is there a drawback to not evolving? by evolving am I getting any additional upgrades on top of the usual stat upgrade i get by leveling up?
Not only learn moves faster, but some pokemon can only learn some moves in a particular evolution stage. Also, delaying evolution has no real disadvantages

Quote:
Yes

Quote:
does a breed hatchling always have better base stats than its wild-found (same lvl) counterpart?
Not always, but in 99% of the cases it will
Old 03-24-2007, 07:26 PM
perplexed_one Offline

ok another question:

what if say you have a pokemon with 3 good moves and one crappy HM move. im no where near a hm delete center. and my pokemon just leveled up, and asks me to delete a move to replace it. If I choose not to learn the new move, will I get a chance to learn it next lvl up?
Old 03-24-2007, 07:35 PM
Jelly Offline

Send a message via MSN to Jelly Send a message via Yahoo to Jelly

No, I think only if your a pokemon who hasnt evolved yet though I may be wrong...like a charmander learning fireblast and then when u get him to charizard he may learn it again (I may be wrong)

What pokemon do you have?
Old 03-24-2007, 09:35 PM
Dandie Dinmont Offline

Send a message via AIM to Dandie Dinmont

Here's the drawbacks:
1 Stats aren't as high (usually)
2 Some moves can only be learned after evolution
Old 03-24-2007, 09:37 PM
hell rider Offline
Experienced Trainer

Quote:
hi im new here, and im fairly new to pokemon gaming. so i have pokemon silver on gbc.

1. DELAYING EVOLUTION.

lets think of it as... dratini. a dragon pokemon who has quite bad special attack and attack for its level. it evolves into dragonair and still bad. you evolve into dragonite-gets less speed, more special, more attack and defence, but then its now flying. thats bad. so you get advantages and disadvantages when delaying evolution.

2.HATCHLINGS AT LVL 5?

yes, no matter what it is.

3.BETTER THAN WILD?

well, 98.8% it is better.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:39 PM
Jelly Offline

Send a message via MSN to Jelly Send a message via Yahoo to Jelly

That question has already been answered.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:52 AM
massi4h Offline
Master Trainer

Quote:
ok another question:

what if say you have a pokemon with 3 good moves and one crappy HM move. im no where near a hm delete center. and my pokemon just leveled up, and asks me to delete a move to replace it. If I choose not to learn the new move, will I get a chance to learn it next lvl up?
Only way to relearn in gsc, is to clock Pokemon Stadium 2 (on N64) with that pokemon on your team. You will then be asked if you wanna reteach a pokemon a move. Good for teaching Ho-oh in silver Sacred Fire.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:51 PM
pixlepix Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Quote:
ok another question:

no so think befor useing hm
Old 04-12-2007, 11:46 PM
perplexed_one Offline

Default Re: Beginner questions

hi again, sry i dun mean to bump this thread but i have some more questions for GBS.

um, if i use either of these moves, "self-destruct" or "curse (takes away 1/2 of user's HP in this case)", will my pokemon happy rating fall when they faint (intentionally no less).

ALSO, what happens to the experience earned when I used either of those suicidal moves? transfer to another of my pokemon?
Old 04-12-2007, 11:51 PM
Lucavi Offline

Send a message via AIM to Lucavi Send a message via MSN to Lucavi

Quote:
um, if i use either of these moves, "self-destruct" or "curse (takes away 1/2 of user's HP in this case)", will my pokemon happy rating fall when they faint (intentionally no less).
Yes, it will. Fainting for any reason decreases happiness

Quote:
ALSO, what happens to the experience earned when I used either of those suicidal moves? transfer to another of my pokemon?
The only way you can get exp points after using Explosion/Selfdestruct is if the opponent survives the attack and you send another pokemon and beat it. Otherwise, you don't win any exp points
Old 04-14-2007, 03:22 PM
perplexed_one Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
Yes, it will. Fainting for any reason decreases happiness
what if during the bug contest, your pokemon faints? is happiness decreased even in that situation? is that really fainting, bcuz your pokemon is restored to full HP after the contest?
Old 04-14-2007, 04:58 PM
Pikablu Pie Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Quote:
what if during the bug contest, your pokemon faints? is happiness decreased even in that situation? is that really fainting, bcuz your pokemon is restored to full HP after the contest?
As Lucavi said, ANY fainting lowers happiness, even if the pokemon is healed directly after.

Click here to take a stupid test.
Quote:
Help Reduce Forest Fires. Stop Flaming Now!