Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Games » First & Second Generations

First & Second Generations Discuss the first and second generation games: Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver and Crystal.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:26 PM
Ness Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Ness Send a message via MSN to Ness
Default Re: Gold/Silver/Crystal Game Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashman View Post
I was going over the changes I would make to a pokemon game IF I were to make one in the future (not saying it'll happen... but I downloaded RPG maker a few days ago) just for me and my friends, as a sort of, 'what could I do with this genre' and my friend actually seriously suggested making Gyarados better. I was like, "HUH?!?!"
They did make Gyarados better in R/S/E.... it's called Tauntrados. Pretty nasty stuff. Actually GSC Gyarados is the weakest Gyarados there is (though still way better that a LOT of pokemon).
Old 04-13-2007, 03:11 AM
turgroterra Offline
New Trainer

kay seriously i think Nintendo should invest on making a remake of pokemon crystal, gold, and silver. Then people whould'nt have to buy a hacked version of ruby or sapphire to play a new version.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:05 AM
Ashman Offline

You, um, missed the point. The point was that Gyarados is, stat wise, a rediculously good pokemon. And it learns rediculous moves.My friend wanted me to make it better, but that's not really necessary, because that would unbalance the game.

I woulda guessed Gyarados. And Dragonite blows, its all about Dragonair
Old 04-13-2007, 02:02 PM
MagmarMan Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashman View Post
You, um, missed the point. The point was that Gyarados is, stat wise, a rediculously good pokemon. And it learns rediculous moves.My friend wanted me to make it better, but that's not really necessary, because that would unbalance the game.
I think that once they cut Gyarados' Sp. Attack going into G/S/C I lost all interest in using him. I mean, why would you use a water type pokemon and then not be able to use any water type moves effectively?
Banner By Me ^_^
Old 04-14-2007, 01:52 AM
Ashman Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagmarMan View Post
I think that once they cut Gyarados' Sp. Attack going into G/S/C I lost all interest in using him. I mean, why would you use a water type pokemon and then not be able to use any water type moves effectively?
Very true. I used him for Strength... and later on (when it trusted me more) Return. The high attack value worked pretty well with it, but I was always frustrated that Surf was really weak with him.

I've also seen people put fire blast on Gyarados, always followed with a question from me:

"Why?"

Old 04-14-2007, 10:10 AM
Spinner Offline
Master Trainer

Post Re: Gold/Silver/Crystal Game Discussion

Fire Blast on Gyarados..... Now I have never heard that one before, probably for very good reason .

I really don't like using Gyarados. It's attack may be good, but it's Spcl. Attack is so weak, which means it can't get good STAB. And, on top of that, the only flying move it can learn is Hidden power.... and the moves it learns aren't that great either... ug. Need I add anything else?
Old 04-14-2007, 10:49 AM
shinycelebi Offline

OMG Ashman,the answer's simple!Gyrados is a part water type right?If you're battling a friend,you send out Gyrados,he thinks Gyrados is a water type,so he sends out a plant type like Meganium,you use Fire Blast and Meganium's toast!BTW,why has everyone got so little shiny Pokemon?My pokedex says 245 pokemon seen,239 owned and 201 of them are SHINY!!!!!!Now i have to go after a shiny Wobuffet.Does anybody know if its illegal to make a remake of G/S/C?I'm making one right now.P.S.I love Gyrados,it can learnSurf, Whirlpool and Waterfall,so it's my main water pokemon.P.P.S.I've caught the shiny Wobuffet.

Last edited by shinycelebi; 04-14-2007 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Good news(for me at least)
Old 04-14-2007, 11:22 PM
Ness Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Ness Send a message via MSN to Ness

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinycelebi View Post
OMG Ashman,the answer's simple!Gyrados is a part water type right?If you're battling a friend,you send out Gyrados,he thinks Gyrados is a water type,so he sends out a plant type like Meganium,you use Fire Blast and Meganium's toast!
Nobody with any sense would send out a Grass against a Water/Flying pokemon. Gyarados would just wall it with its 100 base Sp.Defence and kill it in 1-2 turns. Fire Blast on Gyarados is only useful when dealing with Steel-Types but HP Ground and any Electric-Type move deal with any Steel-Type you might encounter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashman
Well actually in GSC Gyarados doesn't have a great movepool or a STABed attack (well besides HP Flying ) to work with its monstrous 125 base Attack; in fact with respect to the GSC metagame Gyarados was not even a standard - he was actually underused (by competitive players). Gyarados was nerfed in GSC from that monster that it was in RBY but with RSE it became very usable again.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:14 AM
MagmarMan Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Back in R/B/Y I would always use a Gyarados in my team but I never used one on my G/S/C team.
Banner By Me ^_^
Old 04-15-2007, 05:00 AM
shinycelebi Offline

Hmmmmm......Ness,i think you have a point there.But many ppl(especially newbies)don't know that Gyrados is Water/Flying type,they think it's Water/Dragon type.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:55 AM
Spinner Offline
Master Trainer

Post Re: Gold/Silver/Crystal Game Discussion

Quote:
Hmmmmm......Ness,i think you have a point there.But many ppl(especially newbies)don't know that Gyrados is Water/Flying type,they think it's Water/Dragon type.
When Gyarados was first invented, it was initially going to be a Water/Dragon type (I think). But in RBY the only offensive dragon move was Dragon Rage, which only deals 40 damage each time. So, since Gyarados's only weakness would have been Dragon, and because there was no Dragon type move to counter Gyarados, it would have had no type disadvantages.

Instead of Gyarados, I much prefer to use Kingdra instead (Really a Water/Dragon type). It learns better moves, and has only one weakness, Dragon, arguably the rarest type in the game.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:49 PM
MagmarMan Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
When Gyarados was first invented, it was initially going to be a Water/Dragon type (I think). But in RBY the only offensive dragon move was Dragon Rage, which only deals 40 damage each time. So, since Gyarados's only weakness would have been Dragon, and because there was no Dragon type move to counter Gyarados, it would have had no type disadvantages.

Instead of Gyarados, I much prefer to use Kingdra instead (Really a Water/Dragon type). It learns better moves, and has only one weakness, Dragon, arguably the rarest type in the game.
Well my lv. 100 Dragonite could kill that Kindra but thats beside the point...

I personally do like Kindra. All of its stats are close to 300 and your right, it has a great type combo.
Banner By Me ^_^
Old 04-15-2007, 01:12 PM
Corphish Offline
Amateur Trainer

lol i have to restart crystal now

~~vpp~~

egg:now
hatches into carvahna:74
evolves at:97
lv 100 209
Old 04-15-2007, 01:31 PM
MagmarMan Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corphish View Post
lol i have to restart crystal now
Because of this Gyarados stuff? Naw, it's still an o.k. pokemon just now as good as it was back in R/B/Y. Any pokemon can be good at a high level if all you want to do is in-game stuff. I once saw a youtube video where a guy had a lv. 80 Pidgey kill Red in Mt. Silver!! Goes to show...
Banner By Me ^_^
Old 04-15-2007, 06:50 PM
Ashman Offline

Quote:
I learned Gyarados was water/flying when I first took it up against an electric pokemon. I always thought it was straight water... then... thunder...